2008 Cornell Johnson MBA Waitlist Chat with Randall Sawyer

2008 Cornell Johnson MBA Waitlist Chat with Randall Sawyer

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Feb 27, 2008 12:57:03 PM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat.  First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com’s Cornell Johnson waitlist chat.  I also want to welcome Johnson’s Randall Sawyer, Director of Admissions; Ann Richards, Associate Director of Admissions and Director of Financial Aid; Christine Sneva, Assistant Director of Admissions and Financial Aid; and Laurie Shunney, Admissions Service Representative. Thanks to everyone for joining.

Linda Abraham (Feb 27, 2008 12:58:08 PM)
This is your chance to ask questions about Johnson’s waitlist policies.

deepu (Feb 27, 2008 12:58:28 PM)
Randall: How many students are placed on the waitlist?

Michael Keaveney (Feb 27, 2008 12:58:49 PM)
Ann: Do you consider the waitlisted candidates from all the rounds at once or do you take them 1 round at a time?

deepu (Feb 27, 2008 12:58:59 PM)
Christine: I heard around 10% of applicants have been placed on WL this year is that correct?

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 12:59:13 PM)
Hi Deepu, while the waitlist is constantly moving, we have about 175 students on the waitlist right now.

Ahuacan (Feb 27, 2008 12:59:34 PM)
Hi Randall, thank you for your time today. What factors are determined for selecting students off of the waitlist?

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 12:59:43 PM)
Michael Keaveney, we look at all students who are on the waitlist along with students that are currently in the applicant pool.

rahuljain (Feb 27, 2008 12:59:56 PM)
Ann: Hello Ann, have any waitlist students been accepted so far?

kws (Feb 27, 2008 1:00:09 PM)
Laurie: I found out that I was on the waitlist about a week ago. Should I contact my admissions representative for my information about how to improve my chances or is there a better person to contact?

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:00:43 PM)
Rahuljain, a couple of students have been offered admission from the waitlist so far.

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:00:49 PM)
Hi Ahucan--we look at so many factors of students on the w/l--GMAT, GPA, letters of rec; recent class grades and more

Vineet (Feb 27, 2008 1:00:56 PM)
Christine: I applied in the first round and have been waitlisted. My current supervisor has submitted a recommendation this month, and I have sent an update on my progress in the last few months. I want to send another essay on why I feel Johnson is the best school for me. Is it OK if I send it in this week? Or will it be considered too much info in too less time?

johnson_2010 (Feb 27, 2008 1:01:02 PM)
Randall, How are you? I just wanted to ask you whether there are more applicants taken off the list in June than in March? The reason I ask is because I was told that I needed to improve my GMAT score and haven't been able to retake it due to work commitments and travel and plan on taking it in May.

deepu (Feb 27, 2008 1:01:15 PM)
Ann: Considering the the high volume, how many from the WL are likely to get offers along with R3 applicants?

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:01:35 PM)
Vineet- it is fine to continue to send updates to us on a regular basis.

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:01:47 PM)
Kws, you may send updates regarding your application to the admission representative who processed your file. Updates may include GMAT scores, career progression, training experiences, and other efforts to improve your application. You may also contact our office in May to schedule a wait list feedback session with a committee member.

Ahuacan (Feb 27, 2008 1:02:01 PM)
Christine: What things should we be doing now as wait list candidates to improve our chances to be selected into the class of 2010?

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:02:11 PM)
Dear Deepu, it's really too early to tell how many students we'll take off the waitlist. The numbers of waitlisted students offered admission depends in part on our yield.

Ishank (Feb 27, 2008 1:02:12 PM)
Hi Laurie: Nice to talk to you again. I had a couple of followup questions regarding giving more information to the school. First: What is the school looking for in leadership stories and examples? Second: Do you prefer to hear from others (such as recommenders) about leadership or is it better that the candidate give that information themselves?

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:02:23 PM)
Hi Johnson 2010-- nice log in name! Most likely more students will be taken off the waitlist in June than earlier due to our second deposit date of June 2 for everyone who wants to confirm their seat in the class. While we look at the wl each round, we'll most likely see the best movement in June--good luck on the GMAT.

Zac_in (Feb 27, 2008 1:02:30 PM)
Ann: As a round 1 applicant, by when can I know for sure the status of my waitlist?

dm (Feb 27, 2008 1:03:19 PM)
Christine: My WL letter stated that I should call to set up an appointment for how to improve my chances. I called yesterday and was told I now have to wait until the end of May to schedule that appointment. Is there any other way I can find out how to improve my chances before then?

deepu (Feb 27, 2008 1:03:44 PM)
Randall: Which one is better 1) send one mail compiling the entire information which one intend to send or 2) send mails as and when the enhancements happen?

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:03:49 PM)
Ishank, we would appreciate details about leading and working in teams. We also look for outcomes. You may submit an additional recommendation.

Michael C. (Feb 27, 2008 1:03:57 PM)
Randall, I’ve been waitlisted b/c of GMAT quant scores, however my work experience is more quantitative than I feel I’ve let the ad com know… would a additional letter from my supervisor or co-worker (who is an alum) help?

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:04:01 PM)
Ahuacan-compare to the profile of the current class and start from there- is there anything that you feel is a weakness?

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:04:17 PM)
Zac-in, we hope to have decisions finalized by middle to end of June.

Prashant (Feb 27, 2008 1:04:23 PM)
Hello Ann - Prashant Trivedi here. I have been waitlisted in round 2. What should I do to improve my chances?

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:04:37 PM)
DM-refer to my previous response-look at our student profile and examine where you can improve.

snow (Feb 27, 2008 1:04:41 PM)
Christine: If I'm submitting an additional essay, any guidelines on how long should that be?

Linda Abraham (Feb 27, 2008 1:04:58 PM)
Snow, my answer would be long enough to convey what you want to convey and no longer.

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:05:02 PM)
Hi deepu. I would recommend sending an email outlining your intentions to improve and then more emails when you accomplish your goals.

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:05:03 PM)
Michael, you may submit one additional recommendation reflecting your skills.

Fabio Franco (Feb 27, 2008 1:05:06 PM)
Dear Mr Randall, as international student, I would like to know if a visit to the school will enhance the chances of approval. So far I haven't been able for such a visit, but I want to reinforce my commitment to the school.

Dindi (Feb 27, 2008 1:05:24 PM)
Hi Laurie, is there any ranking you use to manage the waitlist? Also, is the waitlist also managed based on demographic/professional backgrounds?

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:05:42 PM)
Snow-I would stay with our application requirements which is 400 words.

Zac_in (Feb 27, 2008 1:06:38 PM)
Christine: Is there a restriction on the number of additional recommendations that can be sent?

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:06:47 PM)
Prashant, you should look at your profile compared to our student profile and try to strengthen any area that seems weak. Try to make sure you highlight your academic strengths, leadership and professional progression.

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:07:13 PM)
Dindi, we do not rank the applicants on our wait list. We review the entire applications and value improvements.

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:07:25 PM)
Hhi Fabio--we do like it when students visit as it reaffirms that you have selected appropriately and the "fit" is good. The final decision is up to you to visit but should you come to Ithaca, be sure to let me know and we can get a cup of coffee together and I can learn more about you. If we are your number one and can't visit, then make sure to let us know and we'll take it from there.

rahuljain (Feb 27, 2008 1:07:30 PM)
Ann: I had sent my waitlist updates to your email id. Do I need to copy them to any other ID as well?

Catherine (Feb 27, 2008 1:07:46 PM)
Dear Christine: For a R1 applicant, when is the last date where we will be informed of the decision? Would it be latest June as well?

Judy (Feb 27, 2008 1:07:51 PM)
Hi Randall, I have a similar question to that of Michael C's. Would providing a recommendation regarding my quant skills help?

Vineet (Feb 27, 2008 1:08:03 PM)
Laurie: Are the applicants who applied in previous rounds given a priority over those who applied in later rounds?

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:08:05 PM)
Rahul, you may copy my email address on updates (les57@cornell.edu).

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:08:21 PM)
Yes--providing a rec re: your quant skills helps.

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:08:30 PM)
Zac_in, there is not a restriction, however, if you feel that someone would help your candidacy, that is fine. Otherwise, I would focus on what you are doing professionally and personally to improve your chances.

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:08:54 PM)
Rahuljain, if you send updates to me, I'll make sure they get included with your application materials. If you send updates to MBA@cornell.edu, it will get included in your file in your application as well.

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:09:03 PM)
Vineet, we consider applicants on the wait list as we provide decisions for each round. We do not give priority to applicants in earlier rounds.

krith (Feb 27, 2008 1:09:09 PM)
Randall: Hi, I have been asked to retake GMAT, I am guessing due to my rather average verbal score. I plan to retake GMAT asap. Say max by the 15th of March. How long from then can I expect a result. Would 2 weeks be enough time to expect a result?

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:09:20 PM)
Catherine-we could be taking applicants from our waitlist until the the first day of orientation!

deepu (Feb 27, 2008 1:09:23 PM)
Christine: How has been the feedback regarding acceptance till date? Do you visualize considerable movement in WL?

Ahuacan (Feb 27, 2008 1:09:39 PM)
Ann: I initially provided three recommendations with my application. As a waitlist candidate would it be appropriate to provide a 4th from my manager?

monikamba2008 (Feb 27, 2008 1:09:56 PM)
Hello Laurie: I am WL in R2. How can I improve my chances of getting the admit letter?

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:10:28 PM)
Ahuacan, if you feel they will add something that has not been mentioned in your application already.

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:11:08 PM)
Hi Krith--I cannot identify a date after your result with an answer from the w/l--so 2 weeks might be right or it could be longer--we just don't know but we will give your updated file a look within a few days of you sending us the new score..and you might see movement then or still be on the w/l.

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:11:10 PM)
The important thing to remember is, how you are improving your candidacy.

johnson_2010 (Feb 27, 2008 1:11:13 PM)
Ann: If I am taken off the list, how would my financial aid and loan process work as the deadline for FAFSA is on March 1?  Does that generally pose any problems as I have already been admitted to another school, paid a deposit, and filled out the FAFSA for that particular school. Johnson is my #1 since I visited the campus in September and chatted with you, sat in a class, and met with students but I am a little concerned about the financial aid process if I do get taken off the list.

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:11:18 PM)
Deepu, it's too early to predict how much movement we'll see in the waitlist. Right now our yield appears to be strong. We do require all admitted candidates to submit a second deposit on June 2, so there may be a cluster of offers to students on the waitlist after that date.

RaviGupta (Feb 27, 2008 1:11:24 PM)
Thank you Ann and Randall for holding this chat. I really appreciate the attention that the admissions' office pays to the waitlisted students. I wanted to know the recommendation letters from Cornell non-business school alumni are given the same weight as those from Johnson school alumni?

Nnenne (Feb 27, 2008 1:11:38 PM)
Hi Christine: I was waitlisted in round 1 because of my GMAT quant scores. I am planning to take the mba math course online. Do you think that will help improve my chances? Also I was asked to consider the AMBA during my interview, do you think I can re-consider that even now that I am waitlisted? Thank you.

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:11:48 PM)
Moni, I suggest reviewing your application in comparison to our class profile. We look for candidates who take an active role to improve their application. Improvements may include retaking exams, sending an updated resume if you receive a promotion, clarifying goals, and an additional recommendation.

M.S.Miness (Feb 27, 2008 1:12:19 PM)
Laurie: Good morning. By now, you must have a good sense of where waitlisted applicants stand in the order of preference. Can you tell me a bit about how that works? How do you rank those on the waitlist?

gabrielwuebben (Feb 27, 2008 1:12:58 PM)
I may have missed this question, having just arrived, but can you indicate how many are currently on the waitlist?

Linda Abraham (Feb 27, 2008 1:12:58 PM)
They said earlier that 175 people are on the waitlist.

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:13:16 PM)
Mark, good morning to you too! We do not rank the wait list.

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:13:21 PM)
Hi Gabriel--nice to see you here--hope you are well.

Zac_in (Feb 27, 2008 1:13:45 PM)
Randall: Does the waitlist move on a demographic basis too?

snow (Feb 27, 2008 1:14:05 PM)
Laurie: Is there a deadline for sending additional material/essay/recos/updates etc?

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:14:10 PM)
And btw, we are very pleased to see all of you here today too.

Waiting08 (Feb 27, 2008 1:15:16 PM)
Christine: I have not had a chance to visit Cornell as yet. Could that have been a reason that I was waitlisted - because the Adcom did not feel that I have showed enough interest? Would it help if I came to visit and personally showed up at the admissions office?

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:15:38 PM)
Hi Zac-in. We do try and and balance the class in our decisions and certainly the waitlist is decided the same way.

Vish (Feb 27, 2008 1:15:52 PM)
Hi Randall, I have been waitlisted in round 2 and have scheduled an appointment with one of the Cornell admissions office staff to get a feedback on my candidacy. I would like to know if I should wait for the feedback before I submit another letter of recommendation or should I submit it before the appointment.

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:16:15 PM)
Hi Vish--submit the rec now.

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:16:30 PM)
Nnenne-it is great to hear you intend on taking mba math. If the quant scores are a concern, I would be working on improving that section of the GMAT and doing mba math. This will improve your candidacy if that is a weakness in your file. When we ask candidates to consider AMBA, we really want you to research the program, the benefits, and most importantly, contact our current AMBA students. I think you get a real sense of the quality of our AMBA students when reaching out to them.

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:16:31 PM)
Snow, we will accept updates between now and June. I recommend sending updates continually. We expect to finalize the majority of wait list decisions by mid-June. Last year, we accepted a few candidates after June, but we will make most of the decisions by mid-June.

deepu (Feb 27, 2008 1:16:56 PM)
Laurie:  I would like to get in touch with students who are from my college to get more info regarding the school. I was able to get the their names but not their email ids...who'll be able to help me get in touch with them?

cltong482 (Feb 27, 2008 1:17:04 PM)
Hello Randall - how many people are currently on the waitlist? And, how many of those on the waitlist is Cornell planning to accept? Thanks for hosting this chat!

Prashant (Feb 27, 2008 1:17:42 PM)
Thanks Ann - If I compare myself with the student profile then I find that my GPA in undergraduate is less compared to the average class ... but I have a decent GMAT and have good score in one year diploma ..what should I do to increase my chances?

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:17:52 PM)
Deepu, you can find contact information for students with the Student Search feature on the application website.

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:18:00 PM)
Hi cltong 482 --we have about 175 on the waitlist for both programs--we do not know how many we will take off the waitlist but I do know we have already moved a few off the w/l as we look at the w/l every round.

Ahuacan (Feb 27, 2008 1:18:14 PM)
Christine: Are there any "don't dos" as a waitlist candidate you can provide?

Catherine (Feb 27, 2008 1:18:30 PM)
Laurie: Does that date (1st day of orientation) apply to international students as well? Wouldn't it be too late for us?

krith (Feb 27, 2008 1:19:00 PM)
Randall: Also I'd like to know if you'd be able to issue conditional offers of acceptance, requiring candidates to improve specific parts of their application such as a GMAT. This is so that even if one has other offers, and Cornell is the TOP choice, they can let go of the alternate offers on the strength of the conditional offer of acceptance. Especially applicable for candidates with one offer + Cornell WL.

gabrielwuebben (Feb 27, 2008 1:19:36 PM)
Hi Randall. Still hangin on.

Judy (Feb 27, 2008 1:19:56 PM)
Tthank you for your time too :) it's very nourishing and rewarding.

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:20:06 PM)
Prashant, if your grades and scores are strong, take a close look at your professional achievements and make sure that these are highlighted on your resume and you may want to have a recommender highlight these accomplishments as well.

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:20:32 PM)
Waiting08- visiting campus is a great way for you to get the fit and feel of our culture here. Our admission decisions are not based on whether a candidate visits us; however, I believe it shows passion and answers the question "Why Johnson?"

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:20:42 PM)
Catherine, we are sensitive to the situations of our international students. We understand the time required for obtaining a visa and we will try to provide our international students with enough time for the process.

Ishank (Feb 27, 2008 1:20:46 PM)
Christine: Will providing letters of support instead of recommendations add any value?

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:20:47 PM)
Hi Krith--good question--we are able to issue conditional offers and do so occasionally. However, that decision is made by the selection committee at the time of the offer and we do not offer conditional to w/l.

Zac_in (Feb 27, 2008 1:21:14 PM)
Randall: As an international applicant, wouldn't a result after June 2nd be quite late, considering the visa processing has to be done.

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:22:22 PM)
Hi Zac-in in the past we have offered international students in early to mid June and we have found that there is plenty of time to deal with the visa issue.

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:22:27 PM)
Ahuacan, I know it is hard to remain on a waitlist, but know that we frequently examine candidates. Really take the time to consider how you can improve-send us updates when you have done so.

vinoda (Feb 27, 2008 1:22:46 PM)
Hello Randall:  I have been asked to retake GMAT to improve my Verbal scores. I recently took my TOEFL Internet based test and scored well in all the 4 sections. Do you accept TOEFL scores for determining verbal skills?

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:22:48 PM)
Acerr, it's unlikely that a waitlisted candidate would be selected as a Park Finalist. Occasionally we do offer a waitlisted students some merit based scholarship. Generally speaking, waitlisted candidates should expect to borrow to help meet their educational costs.

Dheeraj (Feb 27, 2008 1:22:54 PM)
Dear Ms. Ann, as suggested by you during the feedback session, I'm going to re-take the GMAT. But the work load at office really limits the time I get to study. I'm not sure how much improvement I'll be able to make due to such constraints. Will a recommendation from my supervisor help? Will a recommendation from my ex-colleague who is a current student at Johnson school help? I’m not looking for an excuse, anyway I’ll write GMAT again, but I just want to know what other options do I have to strengthen my application.

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:23:52 PM)
Hi vinoda--we look at both but certainly a new TOEFL score helps--you should forward it immediately to our office.

Michael Keaveney (Feb 27, 2008 1:24:02 PM)
Randall: I saw in last year's chat that you took 30 off the waitlist in 2006, can you inform us of how many were taken off the w/l in 2007 and if you have the figures on a % basis. If this question was asked/answered, I apologize. Thanks for your time.

Ahuacan (Feb 27, 2008 1:24:27 PM)
Laurie: Do you remove/reject applicants from the waitlist or do you remain on the waitlist until classes start?

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:24:50 PM)
Ishank, what I would do is send a letter of support that adds an update to your application-remember, we have already read your submitted letters of recommendation.

Fabio Franco (Feb 27, 2008 1:25:37 PM)
Dear Christine: For international students, do you intend to send the final decision on waitlist in mid June as well? Or there may be an earlier date, due to visa complications?

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:26:04 PM)
Dheeraj, I would encourage you to submit any additional material you feel will strengthen your candidacy. An endorsement from a current student is always welcome!

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:26:14 PM)
Hi Michael.  I am not sure how many we took off the w/l last year but I would say close to the 2006 number of 30.

Judy (Feb 27, 2008 1:26:34 PM)
Hi Randall, for the extra recommendation that we'll like to submit, to whom shall we ask the recommender to send the letter to?

A-MBA (Feb 27, 2008 1:26:49 PM)
Ann: As a follow up to Waiting08's question, I have visited the campus in year's past but did not make an official class visit or meet with Admissions recently. Would it be helpful to revisit campus and participate in these opportunities?

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:27:23 PM)
Ahunaca, we may remove candidates from the wait list at any time. We may remove a candidate from the wait list if it seems clear he or she will not receive an offer. We also consider whether candidates on the wait list remain committed to attending the program.

Michael C. (Feb 27, 2008 1:27:26 PM)
Laurie: Is the targeted class size this year in line with last years class size?

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:27:51 PM)
Fabio Franco- we take into consideration the visa requirements for our international candidates, but you may not hear from us until mid-July. Last year, international candidates were still able to gain their visa's and transition here by orientation.

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:27:56 PM)
Hi Michael--the class will be in line with past years--between 265 and 275.

Hafiz_Nasar (Feb 27, 2008 1:28:02 PM)
Randall, would it be possible to meet with you for a cup of coffee while I am on campus in early April. I have already been on campus in September and chatted with you briefly. My wife hasn't been to Cornell and we are planning another trip in April to see the campus and learn more about Johnson. I have already been admitted to another school and Johnson is my number 1 choice and my wife wants to pursue Music studies at Cornell and hence the 2nd visit.

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:28:35 PM)
Dear A-MBA, It's not necessary for you to visit campus to strengthen your application, but we do like students to take the opportunity to attend a class, meet with our current students and get a sense of the culture of the Johnson School. If you do visit again this year, please let us know, so we can have a cup of coffee or chat for a few minutes.

Heejin Woo (Feb 27, 2008 1:28:37 PM)
Christine: Can we have one more chance to have an interview?

Zac_in (Feb 27, 2008 1:28:46 PM)
Ann: Will Candidates from waitlist who are offered admit also be considered for any financial aid ?

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:29:22 PM)
Judy, applicants may send updates to the admissions service representative managing the file. Last Names: A-H Jason Atkins (jma47@cornell.edu), I-O Laurie Shunney (les57@cornell.edu), P-Z Clarence Welch (cw434@cornell.edu).

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:29:39 PM)
Hi Hafiz--nice to hear from you and yes--please do come by with your wife in April--I'd love to meet her and see you again over a cup of coffee--Michael can add you to my calendar when you know you will be here.

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:30:18 PM)
Heejin Woo-if you think your first interview did not go well, why don't you send us a note explaining why you thought your interview was not strong enough. Unfortunately, we will not be granting second interviews.

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:30:21 PM)
Zac-in, all candidates admitted will be considered for financial aid - but we are rarely able to offer candidates admitted from the waitlist any scholarship funds. Financial Aid is more than just scholarship - loans are part of financial aid as well.

Ishank (Feb 27, 2008 1:30:51 PM)
Ann: How is the final class size decided? I see that for 2007 it was 262 for the two year program but for 2008 it was 252.

monikamba2008 (Feb 27, 2008 1:31:58 PM)
Hi Christine: Can you mention how may people from WL got admits last year.

Prashant (Feb 27, 2008 1:32:23 PM)
Thanks Ann - I have already taken a feedback appointment with you and will be talking to you on Monday. I am very interested in Johnson school and want to make it to the class of 2010.

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:32:28 PM)
Ishank, we have a target of 265-275 for the coming year. The final size of the class is a factor of the yield we get from our admissions offers.

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:32:32 PM)
Monikamba-approximately 30 applicants.

krith (Feb 27, 2008 1:32:36 PM)
Thank you Randall. In a WL feedback session, I was told that my profile is 'solid' and asked to improve my GMAT although my GMAT was in the 700+ range. I see that if my profile is considered 'solid' that'd be a case for issue of a conditional offer. Would you throw some light on this please?

Fabio Franco (Feb 27, 2008 1:33:08 PM)
Christine: I would like to improve my chances to be admitted to the program. Can I do so by meeting current students and alumni? How should I report these meetings?

RaviGupta (Feb 27, 2008 1:33:37 PM)
Laurie: Given the good yield, do you anticipate much movement in the WL next week with the R3 deadline?

Elisa (Feb 27, 2008 1:34:23 PM)
Ms. Richards: In addition to sending supplementary recommendations and re-taking the GMAT, are there any other things that we can do to strengthen our application? Also, is there any way to determine our standing on the waitlist?

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:34:37 PM)
Hi Angie! If we take a candidate off the waitlist early in the process, it's possible they may be invited to participate in a Park Finalist event, but for the majority of candidates it's unlikely they will be considered for a Park Fellowship.

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:35:23 PM)
Fabio- reaching out to our current students and alumni is a great way for you to get to know the caliber of our students and alumni. If you feel you gain more insight into why Johnson School is your top school and why you are a best fit, then do send us an update.

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:35:30 PM)
Ravi, we review the wait list as we review applicants in the round. We may accept a few candidates next week as we make decisions for Round 3 and we will review the wait list continually.

A-MBA (Feb 27, 2008 1:35:46 PM)
Ann: Will students that are accepted off the waitlist after the financial aid deadline still be considered for that? Would we need to provide this information by the deadline regardless?

Ahuacan (Feb 27, 2008 1:35:57 PM)
Christine: Do letters of support from current students provide any assistance to the admissions committee?

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:36:07 PM)
Elisa, we don't rank the waitlist. In terms of steps you can take to strengthen your application, you can send us any updates regarding your career - promotions, new assignments, bonuses, etc.

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:36:16 PM)
Hi Krith--with 2600 applications this year and one round to go, many "solid" applicants were put on the w/l and time will tell as we move through the process who comes off with an offer--and as far as a conditional offer goes, we do not revisit committee decisions to ask for conditional offer status after files have been moved through once.

Ishank (Feb 27, 2008 1:36:43 PM)
Laurie: Is it ok if the candidate asks their recommender who has given the original letter of recommendation to send an updated letter of recommendation? In my case, I think that person is in the best position to comment on my new accomplishments but has already given one letter of recommendation.

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:37:10 PM)
Ahuacan, it gives us some feedback about you; however, it does not necessarily move your file from the waitlist.

krith (Feb 27, 2008 1:37:20 PM)
Christine: Is an old score in TOEFL a good enough replacement for a low GMAT Verbal?

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:37:27 PM)
Ishank, your recommender may send an update reflecting your new accomplishments.

Zac_in (Feb 27, 2008 1:37:38 PM)
Laurie: Will students removed from the Waitlist be notified?

Ahuacan (Feb 27, 2008 1:37:59 PM)
Randall: I know round 2 had a 55% increase versus last year... what were the increases for the other rounds as I know the strained market has had a significant impact on application increases this year?

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:38:10 PM)
Krith-what we need to see is a current score or update to any weakness in your application.

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:38:11 PM)
Dear A-MBA, all US citizens and permanent residents should file the FAFSA form (even if they haven't been admitted yet). This allows us to determine the federal loan eligibility for a newly admitted student.

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:38:14 PM)
Zac, we will send an email update if we remove a candidate from the waitlist.

Elisa (Feb 27, 2008 1:38:15 PM)
Ms Richards: In addition to submitting a supplemental recommendation and new GMAT scores, do you have any other advice for strengthening our application? Also, if we are clearly not going to be taken off the waitlist, are we notified and when?

Hafiz_Nasar (Feb 27, 2008 1:38:52 PM)
Thanks, Randall.

Judy (Feb 27, 2008 1:39:11 PM)
Hi Laurie, can recommenders directly email to Clarence (since I'm in p-z group)?

cltong482 (Feb 27, 2008 1:39:38 PM)
Christine: I've been asked to retake the GMAT. I was wondering, what is the average GMAT score for admits this year?

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:39:54 PM)
Judy, your recommender may send his or her comments to Clarence directly.

westie (Feb 27, 2008 1:40:05 PM)
Dear Ann, when will be the final decision on waitlist for AMBA?

A-MBA (Feb 27, 2008 1:40:15 PM)
Randall: Would our Admissions Representative also be a good person to contact in regards to strengthening our application?

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:40:19 PM)
Elisa, we review all waitlisted students continually, if it's unlikely we will be in a position to offer admission to a candidate we will notify them of our decision.

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:40:20 PM)
Cltong482-our average GMAT is running at a 697 with a median of 700.

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:40:24 PM)
Hi Ahuacan--Round One was up about 32%, Round Two up 54% and Round Three up 10%--we are closing in on a record number of applications.

rahuljain (Feb 27, 2008 1:40:26 PM)
Ann: If any candidates from w/l are being offered in R3 when would they come to know about it?

krith (Feb 27, 2008 1:40:45 PM)
Randall: If I have only been asked to improve my GMAT, would it make sense to also supply a 3rd reco?

Linda Abraham (Feb 27, 2008 1:41:16 PM)
Randall, impressive!

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:41:19 PM)
Hi A-MBA--please contact your Admin Rep and they can help you further.

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:41:23 PM)
Dear Westie, we hope to finalize the AMBA waitlist by early April.

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:41:26 PM)
Thanks Linda!

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:41:33 PM)
Rahuljain-we will call applicants with any update to their application.

candid_guy (Feb 27, 2008 1:41:36 PM)
Hi Randall, what is the class size for the '08 1 year program?

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:41:49 PM)
Krith, we look for improvements in all aspects of your application. You may provide a third recommendation in addition to your higher GMAT score.

Heejin Woo (Feb 27, 2008 1:41:56 PM)
Laurie: I haven't gotten feedback on my application yet. Can I ask you feedback by e-mail?

Michael Keaveney (Feb 27, 2008 1:42:11 PM)
Randall: To further my career, I have decided to and have been studying for my series 7 and series 63, if I pass, is that information something to forward along?

Prashant (Feb 27, 2008 1:42:45 PM)
Hello Ann - I have started one e-commerce business in India. That went online in December. It is just in the beginning phase and running well. I have not listed that at any place in my essays. Do you think that we should provide that information to the Cornell? Will it help?

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:42:52 PM)
Heejin, we will schedule feedback sessions in May. Please call our office to schedule an appointment with a member of the admissions committee.

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:42:58 PM)
Michael, please do let us know if you pass these exams. Good luck - they are tough!

Fabio Franco (Feb 27, 2008 1:42:58 PM)
Dear Christine: Could I ask you to send some contacts of alumns in my area? (I know this is specific, so I will send an email later).

Mr. Randall (Feb 27, 2008 1:43:17 PM)
Laurie: I have an admit from Duke. Does this fact help my cause on the waitlist?

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:43:19 PM)
Hi Candid guy--the class size for the one year program is 50-60; we have 26 seats taken already with a number of outstanding offers--we expect the class to be a good mix of international and domestic students with a median GMAT of 730.

Daniel Haynes (Feb 27, 2008 1:43:33 PM)
Randall: Given the WL size of 175, is the waitlist larger or smaller than past years?

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:43:59 PM)
Mr. Randall, We are glad to hear that you have options.

Daniel Haynes (Feb 27, 2008 1:44:08 PM)
Randall: Are all WL applicants who are below 697 asked to retake the test?

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:44:17 PM)
Dear Daniel, the waitlist is a little larger than in past years.

westie (Feb 27, 2008 1:44:22 PM)
Dear Ann, how many applicants are on the AMBA waitlist?

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:44:36 PM)
Fabio Franco- send me an email and I will provide directions on how to search for current students and alumni.

Zac_in (Feb 27, 2008 1:44:40 PM)
Laurie: If I have been told that I need not provide any additional score / recommendations and yet put on the waitlist, what does it mean ?

cltong482 (Feb 27, 2008 1:44:45 PM)
Thanks Christine.

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:44:54 PM)
Dear Westie, we have less than 20 candidates on the AMBA waitlist.

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:45:11 PM)
Zac, We look for improvements and updates from all applicants on the waitlist.

Ahuacan (Feb 27, 2008 1:45:21 PM)
Ann: For those that are waitlisted and are unfortunately not afforded the opportunity this year but rather reapply, how are they viewed in the coming year?

A-MBA (Feb 27, 2008 1:45:44 PM)
Christine: I have taken the GMATs twice, although I have gotten the same score in the end, I was stronger in each individual category between the two tests. Would it be helpful to report both test scores as I only reported the most recent?

Michael Keaveney (Feb 27, 2008 1:46:00 PM)
Thanks Ann, hope all is well.

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:46:03 PM)
A-MBA-yes that would be very helpful.

monikamba2008 (Feb 27, 2008 1:46:03 PM)
Laurie: How can I get feedback on my application?

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:46:44 PM)
Hi Daniel--we do not ask all w/l candidates under 697 to retake the test--however it certainly provides a benchmark for those on the w/l to shoot for--certainly our pool is very strong and our yield of 76% from offers is great so retaking the GMAT and shooting for 700 is a good goal.

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:46:52 PM)
Monikamba, You may call the admissions office to schedule a feedback session with a member of the admissions committee in May.

Nnenne (Feb 27, 2008 1:46:57 PM)
Hi Randall, is it possible for someone who is waitlisted in the 2yr program to be accepted into the 1yr program, provided they have an advance degree? Thank you.

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:46:57 PM)
Your welcome A-MBA!

Judy (Feb 27, 2008 1:47:06 PM)
Thank you Laurie! Thank you all for the session today, it's kinda late now in Asia, so will need to log off, but I'll do my best to enhance my application. Thank you again! :)

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:47:22 PM)
Enjoy your evening Judy! Thanks for joining us.

Vineet (Feb 27, 2008 1:47:38 PM)
Ann: I was asked during the interview if I am interested in an AMBA. I had not done my research on AMBA at that time and was not sure about it. However, now I feel that its a good fit with my career aspirations. Should I inform the admissions committee about it?

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:47:42 PM)
Dear Ahuacan, we love to see candidates reapply. Re-applicants demonstrate a commitment to the Johnson School that we value. If you are planning to reapply, make sure to secure some feedback so you can address the areas we would like to see strengthened. Re-applicants are very often successful in their second attempt!

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:48:00 PM)
Hi Nnenne--I think it is possible but you need to contact our office of your intention and we'll give it look from our end.

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:48:14 PM)
Vineet, please send me an email and I will provide some helpful AMBA information for you.

Michael C. (Feb 27, 2008 1:48:20 PM)
Laurie: In the upcoming application rounds will the waitlist continue to grow?

candid_guy (Feb 27, 2008 1:48:43 PM)
Randall: How many applicants (& % increase) did you have to the Accelerated MBA program so far this year?

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:49:14 PM)
Michael, we may add additional candidates to the waitlist as we provide decisions for the upcoming rounds. We will also review the wait list as we provide decisions.

Linda Abraham (Feb 27, 2008 1:49:20 PM)
What applicant behavior detracts from a waitlisted applicant's chances?

Vish (Feb 27, 2008 1:50:27 PM)
Hello Ann, will a course/certification like PMP help me in improving my candidacy and prepare me well for a transition to a B-school?

krith (Feb 27, 2008 1:50:36 PM)
Thank you very much all of you - Laurie, Ann, Christine and Randall. Very thoughtful of you to have scheduled this session. And wish you a great day ahead.

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:51:00 PM)
Linda, a lack of passion for the Johnson School, failure to follow-up on suggestions for improvements, and a lack of ongoing interest in our program may detract from a waitlisted applicant's changes.

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:51:01 PM)
Hi candid guy--our increase in apps for the AMBA program is 60%.

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:51:18 PM)
Mr. Randall-the GMAT of 710 is solid and we look at a lot of different aspects of your application. However, one of the few things you can change quickly is the GMAT.

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:51:18 PM)
Krith, we enjoyed chatting with you!

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:51:24 PM)
Thank you Krith.

Linda Abraham (Feb 27, 2008 1:51:25 PM)
If a waitlisted applicant stays on the waitlist and doesn’t get accepted this year, does he or she have a better chance when reapplying next year?

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:51:28 PM)
Thanks Krith for joining us; good luck!

Linda Abraham (Feb 27, 2008 1:51:33 PM)
Last call for questions...

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:51:44 PM)
Vish, I think that any professional certification will be considered in your application. If you have not previously included this information, you should ask that it be added to your application materials.

cltong482 (Feb 27, 2008 1:52:26 PM)
Thank you everyone for having this chat! This has been very helpful, and I'm glad that Cornell is so supportive of its waitlisted applicants.

deepu (Feb 27, 2008 1:52:32 PM)
Thanks to the Johnson Adcom for providing insights. And thanks Linda. Looking forward to submitting essays and career progression info to strengthening my application. Hoping that it helps... Thanks to all.

Zac_in (Feb 27, 2008 1:52:38 PM)
I am from Bangalore. Can I get a list of any current students visiting Bangalore, so I can talk to them and get to know more about the college?

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:52:44 PM)
Thank you cltong482.

Ishank (Feb 27, 2008 1:52:59 PM)
Thank you Ann, Randall, Laurie and Christine for holding this session. Thank you Linda for organizing the chat. It was very helpful.

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:53:05 PM)
Linda, not necessarily, but often reapplicants are successful when they reapply.

Fabio Franco (Feb 27, 2008 1:53:12 PM)
Mr Randall, I don't want to fill your email box of updates, but still I want to maintain my passion for the program and interest to be in the class of 2010. How often should I sent these updated reports?

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:53:12 PM)
Ishank, we enjoyed chatting with you!

Michael Keaveney (Feb 27, 2008 1:53:18 PM)
Thank you for taking the time, it has been very informative.

M.S.Miness (Feb 27, 2008 1:53:25 PM)
Many thanks to all of you for hosting this, it was very helpful!

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:53:29 PM)
Thanks Ishank--good luck!

LaurieShunneyCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:53:33 PM)
Thank you all for joining us!

Ahuacan (Feb 27, 2008 1:53:52 PM)
Thanks you all for your time and candidates for your questions, it was very helpful.

ChristineSnevaCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:53:53 PM)
Zac_in- To locate current students and recent alumni by searchable criteria, including citizenship, chosen Immersion Learning program, undergraduate school or other information our students have volunteered, please see the Student Search' link located in the Johnson Community section located at: https://admin.johnson.cornell.edu/admissions/.

Ahuacan (Feb 27, 2008 1:53:57 PM)
Best of luck to you all!

Zac_in (Feb 27, 2008 1:54:00 PM)
Thanks a lot Randall, Ann , Laurie.

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:54:11 PM)
Fabio--send important updates when they occur.

rahuljain (Feb 27, 2008 1:54:20 PM)
Thank you Randall, Ann, Laurie, Christine for sparing time to provide us more information. It has been an excellent chat and makes me even surer about Cornell!

Catherine (Feb 27, 2008 1:54:24 PM)
Thanks to the Adcom for their time and attention to wl applicants and good luck to all : )

monikamba2008 (Feb 27, 2008 1:54:35 PM)
Thanks a lot Randall, Ann, Christie, Laurie

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:54:41 PM)
Thanks everyone for joining and great questions!

Heejin Woo (Feb 27, 2008 1:55:13 PM)
Nice talking to you all. It's 4:00 am in Seoul. But it was valuable to listen to you. Thank you again.

Vish (Feb 27, 2008 1:55:20 PM)
Thanks everyone, it was a very informative session. Special thanks to everyone at Cornell and Accepted.com for organize this. Good luck to all the applicants!

vinoda (Feb 27, 2008 1:55:23 PM)
Thank you Randall, Ann, Christie , Laurie.

RandallSawyerCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:55:32 PM)
We are pleased you remain interested in the Johnson School! Good luck and our regards to all of you--Randall, Ann, Christine and Laurie.

Fabio Franco (Feb 27, 2008 1:55:40 PM)
Thank you for this opportunity. I will make an effort to visit Ithaca as soon as possible and meet you.

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:56:26 PM)
Fabio- let us know when you'll visit - we'll buy you a cup of coffee!

AnnRichardsCornell (Feb 27, 2008 1:58:16 PM)
Thanks for getting up in the middle of the night to chat with us Heejin Woo!

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room