2008 USC Marshall MBA Waitlist Chat with Kellee Scott & Alicia Valencia

2008 USC Marshall MBA Waitlist Chat with Kellee Scott & Alicia Valencia

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Cindy Tokumitsu (Mar 5, 2008 2:57:04 PM)
Hello. My name is Cindy Tokumitsu. I am a Senior Editor at Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat. First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com’s USC Marshall waitlist chat. I also want to welcome USC Marshall’s Kellee Scott, Senior Associate Director of MBA Admissions. Thanks to everyone for joining.

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 2:58:11 PM)
Welcome Everyone!

Cindy Tokumitsu (Mar 5, 2008 2:58:29 PM)
This is your chance to ask questions about Marshall’s waitlist policies. Do you want to know about new developments in our lives? When will the waitlist be reviewed? What are the earliest and latest possible dates for being accepted from the waitlist? Do you appreciate letters of support from Marshall students and alumni? What applicant behavior detracts from a waitlisted applicant's chances? Does a visit to Marshall help my chances? Any last minute words of advice? If a waitlisted applicant stays on the waitlist and doesn’t get accepted this year, does he or she have a better chance when reapplying next year? It’s your turn now. Please post your questions.

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:00:42 PM)
Also, please welcome Alicia Valencia, Associate Director of MBA Admissions.

naz (Mar 5, 2008 3:00:53 PM)
If I am to email additional letters of rec, whom should I email them to?

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:01:28 PM)
Naz- please forward any additional letters to marshallmba@marshall.usc.edu.

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:01:59 PM)
All files are updated as new information comes in.

Caroline Hoak (Mar 5, 2008 3:03:04 PM)
Do you have a preference regarding how much or how often correspondence is sent to the admissions office?

alf_08 (Mar 5, 2008 3:03:31 PM)
I understand that supplemental information can include an additional letter of recommendation. Is there a form in which I can forward to the recommender for him/her to fill out or should the letter be open-ended?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:03:52 PM)
Hi Caroline. We ask for appropriate and relevant communication. If you are giving us updated information, fine. If you are just calling to check on your status, no.

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:04:21 PM)
alf- letters are usually open ended. You may want to give your recommender a context for the "additional" letter you are requesting.

Natalie (Mar 5, 2008 3:04:38 PM)
Would you be willing to provide any information as to why an applicant is waitlisted? For example, if someone is waitlisted because you believe they lack a certain skill, then the applicant could work on that skill in order to show their dedication to Marshall.

ewoods (Mar 5, 2008 3:05:11 PM)
If we are taken off the waitlist will we be notified by email that our status has changed or must I check back?

Waitlist01 (Mar 5, 2008 3:05:37 PM)
Would preference for the O.C. campus change our status on the waitlist at all?

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:05:47 PM)
Ewoods- you do not have to check back; we will notify waitlisted applicants when they are taken off the waitlist

Sriram (Mar 5, 2008 3:06:29 PM)
I applied to USC in round 1 and have visited the campus once in November. What is the typical turn around time for an applicant to be accepted from being in waitlist?

Natalie (Mar 5, 2008 3:06:49 PM)
Would you suggest a letter of rec from an additional co-worker, or a letter from an alum as the best method of helping Marshall get to know us better?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:06:54 PM)
Hi Natalie, the best way is to review our class profiles to self-assess. We do not offer feed back until the entire application process is complete. We understand the difficulty, as many candidates are competitive. This year, our applications are up over 20% at this point, we still have 2 more deadlines to review, so it's really competitive. We will not be increasing the size of the class.

Dibya Sahoo (Mar 5, 2008 3:07:15 PM)
Are there any chances of scholarship for applicants who are admitted from the waitlist?

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:07:23 PM)
Waitlist01- Just so all other folks understand, this is a question regarding the PT program. Selecting the OC campus does not change your status on the waitlist. Both campus locations are competitive; students are not place on WL because of location selected (or not selected).

john.mcnamara (Mar 5, 2008 3:07:25 PM)
What is the latest date our waitlist status could be lifted? Could we be accepted a day before classes start?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:07:48 PM)
Natalie, an additional letter is fine, but be sure it is a strong letter which speaks to your skills and accomplishments.

atl_mba (Mar 5, 2008 3:08:17 PM)
I feel like my interview may have weakened my application since it occurred at the end of a campus visit and I had not fully reflected on my visit and connection to the school outside of the academics it provides. Would a short letter examining 'fit' be adequate to overcome this perceived weakness or are there other options?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:08:29 PM)
Dibya, it just depends on the merits of the application once a candidate is admitted, and the availability of funds.

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:08:41 PM)
Sriram- Waitlisted applicants are reviewed every round. It's not unlikely for waitlisted applicants to stay on the waitlist through the year.

Kelly M (Mar 5, 2008 3:08:48 PM)
Hi Kellee and Alicia. My GMAT score was below the Marshall average and I am taking it again at the end of the month (3/22) in hopes of improving my applicant profile. Is that timing okay, and once submitted how long will it take to review the application, and when is the latest I would have an answer by? Thank you.

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:09:13 PM)
Hi John, a candidate can be on the waitlist up until the first day of orientation.

Dibya Sahoo (Mar 5, 2008 3:09:39 PM)
Up to how many recommendation letters can you receive for an applicant? 3? 4?

alf_08 (Mar 5, 2008 3:09:53 PM)
How receptive is the Admissions Committee to receiving supplemental information which is outside the box such as a business plan?

Natalie (Mar 5, 2008 3:09:56 PM)
Thank you Kellee.

Waitlist01 (Mar 5, 2008 3:10:10 PM)
Is the PT program up 20% in applications or the full time program up 20%?

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:10:16 PM)
alt_mba- A short letter is not necessary. In your thank you letter to the Adm. office you might want to briefly share about your fit.

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:10:19 PM)
Hi Kelly, the timing is fine. We review waitlisted candidates after every round. If your status changes, you are notified.

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:10:34 PM)
alt-mba- additionally, your application should speak loudly to your fit.

Dibya Sahoo (Mar 5, 2008 3:10:34 PM)
If someone already has a GMAT score higher than 700, will an improvement of score by another 20-30 points make a positive difference ?

KV (Mar 5, 2008 3:11:03 PM)
Hi. Have you extended an offer of admission to anyone on the waitlist yet this year? If not, what is the absolute earliest that you would look at the waitlist? Thanks!

magic (Mar 5, 2008 3:11:57 PM)
Hi, Kellee. Do you have a fixed percentage to put applicants on the waitlist?

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:12:05 PM)
alf_08- You should consider sending information which will speak to your fit, strengths and leadership. Although a business plan gives us a sense of your entrepreneurial aspirations, we should be able to glean that from your application.

Dibya Sahoo (Mar 5, 2008 3:12:11 PM)
Are waitlist candidates viewed in comparison to one another or are they compared to the overall applicant pool?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:12:18 PM)
Dibya, please do not inundate the admissions office with recommendation letters. We expect candidates to choose their best recommenders for the main application. An additional one or two is fine, after that, they don't tend to be as relevant if they are saying the same thing mentioned in earlier ones.

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:12:41 PM)
waitlist01, the part time program is also up 20%.

rwerber (Mar 5, 2008 3:12:47 PM)
I would like to understand the difference this year in acceptances granted to applicants from the waitlist in relation to the almost 30% increase in MBA applicants due to the bleak economy?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:13:29 PM)
Dibya, a candidate may retest, we take the highest score.

Kelly M (Mar 5, 2008 3:13:38 PM)
If denied full-time admission, is it ever possible to switch your application to the fully-employed program, or would I have to wait until the following year to apply to the fully-employed program?

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:14:46 PM)
Kv- We have not extended an offer to students on the waitlist. We looked at the waitlist as early as Round 1 and will continue to do so until round 4.

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:15:22 PM)
Magic, we do not have a fixed percentage. It is based on available seats in the class. We must wait until candidates that have been admitted let us know if they are accepting. This number varies throughout the process.

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:15:52 PM)
Dibya, they are compared to the entire pool.

zallera (Mar 5, 2008 3:16:22 PM)
Are waitlisted candidates ranked in any way?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:17:03 PM)
Kelly, we do not switch candidates as a policy. You can request to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Decisions will be based on application merit and space in class. However, just so you know, once you matriculate, you cannot switch programs.

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:17:10 PM)
Waitlisted applicants are not ranked. As mentioned previously, they are compared to the entire pool.

Danny (Mar 5, 2008 3:17:26 PM)
Is it possible that one is waitlisted because not all documents are already received (financial statements, ..)?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:18:08 PM)
Danny, no. An incomplete application is not reviewed at all. If you have a decision, that means all documents we consider for a complete application are in.

PHervey (Mar 5, 2008 3:18:19 PM)
As an entrepreneur, is there anything that I can add regarding my business that would help?

Kyle Sutherland (Mar 5, 2008 3:18:36 PM)
If a person is pursuing a joint degree, and is accepted to the other program, does this affect the Marshall Admissions decision in any way?

rwerber (Mar 5, 2008 3:18:59 PM)
I understand that files are updated upon receiving new info, but how long does that info sit in the file before it is finally reviewed by the admission committee?

Tamir (Mar 5, 2008 3:19:27 PM)
What is the best way to stand out on the waitlist, to get noticed first and be reconsidered?

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:19:38 PM)
PHervey- Sure. You can tell us why you started your business and also share with us some your challenges and successes.  Also give us a scope of how big your business is as well as those reports you have.

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:19:49 PM)
Kyle, that does not affect our decision. The application is review on the competitiveness to the MBA program only. However, the JD/MBA candidates must be accepted to the law school before we can admit them to the MBA program.

Kyle Sutherland (Mar 5, 2008 3:20:17 PM)
At the current rate of acceptance, does it appear that there will be available seats for waitlisted students?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:21:08 PM)
rwerber, there is no exact timing. Remember, we are giving attention to each round of fresh applications that want decisions by our published deadlines. Waitlist reviews are woven in at various times.

Dibya Sahoo (Mar 5, 2008 3:21:09 PM)
I am really very keen on joining USC Marshall. I have visited the school once. Would you suggest visiting the school one more time? Is that looked at positively? Or does it really not matter?

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:22:03 PM)
Tamir- Be concise about the information you send in. LOR, etc. If there are additional responsibilities you've taken on, this is considered. Either in your professional or personal life, i.e. volunteerism.

brikromp (Mar 5, 2008 3:22:04 PM)
Thank you for this opportunity to get our questions answered. Is more than one "update letter" to the Admissions Committee too much?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:22:14 PM)
Kyle, that is hard to say at this moment. We have not had our deadline for acceptances at this time. I can only say, that based on last year, it was a relatively small number.

GGinsburg (Mar 5, 2008 3:22:51 PM)
Hi Alicia and Kellee: How would a waitlisted candidate be notified if an offer is extended? Should we still be checking the status page on the applyyourself site?

zallera (Mar 5, 2008 3:23:23 PM)
Due to the surge in applications this year, are there more candidates that were waitlisted compared to other years? Or is it a similar number or percentage of applicants?

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:23:25 PM)
Brikromp- one letter should be enough. Unless something drastically changes and you feel we need updating.

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:23:26 PM)
Dibya, no need to visit again. Also, please be mindful of the amount of your communication. You don't want to draw negative attention to yourself by "stalking" :-)

magic (Mar 5, 2008 3:24:05 PM)
Thank you Kellee.  Is there a preference between waitlisted applicants with an interview and without?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:24:36 PM)
GGinsburg, we will contact you directly, usually with a phone call for admitted candidates. As a waitlisted candidate, I would suggest checking your status at the end of each month.

Tiffany (Mar 5, 2008 3:25:07 PM)
Are wait listed applicants reviewed at the same time as the applicants for each round?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:25:12 PM)
Zallera, since we are still in the middle of our largest round, we can't answer that at this time.

Ryan Voeltz (Mar 5, 2008 3:25:44 PM)
Based on enrollment deposits, what was Marshall's yield from the students that were accepted in the Early Round? In Round 1?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:25:57 PM)
Magic, if we are considering a waitlisted candidate that has not been interviewed, we will invite them to interview to complete the review.

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:26:38 PM)
Tiffany- waitlisted applicants are reviewed with candidates in coinciding rounds.

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:26:45 PM)
Ryan, as a whole, the yield was very high for each round last year. We do not give out exact numbers, as that is confidential at this time.

ferazz2109 (Mar 5, 2008 3:26:53 PM)
If we reapply next year b/c we did not get off the waitlist this year, do we have better chances of being admitted the following year to part time program?

carmen (Mar 5, 2008 3:27:17 PM)
To follow up on Kv's question, when will the 1st notice of waitlist acceptance occur?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:29:30 PM)
ferazz2109, reapplicants are viewed positively, as it shows that you are truly interested in USC Marshall. The application is still viewed in relation to the pool that applies, but a candidate on the "border" who is a reapplicant may be viewed favorably. It is not a guarantee, just an observation.

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:29:46 PM)
Carmen- there is no exact date as they are viewed in conjunction with other applicants.

andranik (Mar 5, 2008 3:30:32 PM)
Given that the PM program admission doesn’t have rounds, a) when does the admission committee begin notifying waitlisted applicants, and b) when is the last day they are notified of the decision to accept/no accept.

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:30:41 PM)
ewoods, you will meet an admissions officer in the information session. We are aware of the candidates who visit, even if we do not see you. :-)

Darin (Mar 5, 2008 3:31:13 PM)
Alicia and Kellee, thank you for your time. I am on the waitlist for the MBA.PM program. Any particular advice and or differences between the full-time and part-time processes?

df (Mar 5, 2008 3:31:43 PM)
How can a waitlisted student request an interview?

kennethchou (Mar 5, 2008 3:32:15 PM)
Has anyone gotten off the waitlist and been accepted yet?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:32:18 PM)
Darin, the only difference is timing. The pm program is on a rolling admission process, so they can review the waitlist anytime. Fulltime tends to review at the end of a decision round.

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:32:59 PM)
Kenneth, as stated earlier, we are in the middle of our largest round, so we have not reviewed the waitlist. That will happen at the end of this month.

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:33:05 PM)
Andranik- all PM status are posted on applyyourself at the end of every evaluation. Continue to check that website. Last day of notification is immediately before the mandatory orientation.

Tiffany (Mar 5, 2008 3:33:28 PM)
If I receive a raise, should I notify admissions?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:33:38 PM)
df, interviews are by invitation-only, at the discretion of the admissions committee.

gman (Mar 5, 2008 3:33:39 PM)
Has Marshall been more frugal granting acceptances this year, relative to prior years, due to the surge in applicants?

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:34:24 PM)
Tiffany- Sure. Make sure to also let us know why you've received a raise and if any additional responsibilities are attached to the raise. Let us know if there is a change in title as well.

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:34:36 PM)
gman, the general answer is no. Remember, we expect that candidates will have choices, and not all we accept will accept us. It's a numbers game on both sides. :-)

Tamir (Mar 5, 2008 3:34:43 PM)
What percentage of waitlisted applicants are interviewed? Are those the first to move off the waitlist and be accepted?

Waitlist01 (Mar 5, 2008 3:34:52 PM)
How many students were offered admission from last year's waitlist?

ewoods (Mar 5, 2008 3:35:53 PM)
Got it, thanks, Kellee!

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:36:18 PM)
Waitlist01- last year we had many students who accepted very early on and as a result, admitted very few from the waitlist.

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:36:28 PM)
Tamir, our aim is to interview all candidates we consider for admission. The interview is just one part of the review, so it's still the entire application that must be competitive. We do not rank the waitlist on any criteria.

magic (Mar 5, 2008 3:36:31 PM)
Thank you Kellee. Does it mean for waitlisted candidates that have not been interviewed, they will not get admission decision before they are interviewed? Is it possible to reserve an interview when visit campus?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:38:22 PM)
magic, interviews are really by invitation-only. If you are coming from out of state, we have the option of a telephone interview if necessary. While we appreciate your visit, we must adhere to our invitation-only policy.

Caroline Hoak (Mar 5, 2008 3:38:30 PM)
Thank you Kellee and Alicia for all of your helpful guidance. When is the latest that we can send updated GMAT scores and additional letters of recommendation to still be considered for admission?

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:39:19 PM)
Ryan- we have not denied any waitlist applicants at this point.

gman (Mar 5, 2008 3:39:31 PM)
Does Marshall waitlist students they feel may be too qualified? And would it help if those students communicate Marshall is their top choice?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:39:32 PM)
Caroline, I would recommend no later than our April 1st deadline. Remember, we are still filling the class, so if it becomes full before we get your new score, it's full.

Dibya Sahoo (Mar 5, 2008 3:39:56 PM)
Alicia & Kellee - Latest by when will international students know if they are getting accepted considering the time required for student visa processing?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:39:59 PM)
gman, there is no such thing as "too qualified".

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:40:36 PM)
Dibya- Our goal is have all international students notified by June 1st.

B. Marsh (Mar 5, 2008 3:40:49 PM)
To follow up on Magic's question. I was waitlisted without an interview, does the fact that I haven't been invited for an interview to date bode poorly for me? Thanks.

Chloeblue (Mar 5, 2008 3:41:08 PM)
Are acceptance letters only sent out after that particular round's deadline? Or could one expect a decision prior to the deadline?

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:41:48 PM)
Chloeblue- Acceptances are sent out on or after the notification deadline.

determined (Mar 5, 2008 3:41:49 PM)
How does the waitlist review process work for the PM program?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:42:00 PM)
B. Marsh, no it does not. When we review the waitlist and if you are considered for acceptance, we will contact you to interview you before a final decision is made.

Kyle Sutherland (Mar 5, 2008 3:42:07 PM)
I visited the campus and recently sent in a supplemental essay. Would you consider submitting an additional letter of recommendation (for a total of 3) to be "stalking"?

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:42:52 PM)
Kyle- since your first submission was only an essay, you should be okay submitting an additional letter of recommendation. Any more would be too much.

carmen (Mar 5, 2008 3:43:03 PM)
Has the admissions office sent out interview requests to waitlisted candidates?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:43:09 PM)
Determined, because the MBA.PM is on rolling admissions, waitlisted candidates are reviewed on a continuing basis. IF your status changes, you will be contacted directly, otherwise, you should check your status online at the end of every month.

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:43:32 PM)
Carmen, not at this time.

kennethchou (Mar 5, 2008 3:44:20 PM)
How many people are on the waitlist now?

usc_engr (Mar 5, 2008 3:45:00 PM)
Hi Kellee and Alicia, I am currently a masters student at USC. Grades were released for Fall 2007 and I want to make sure Marshall is aware of my grades for last semester. How do I go about updating my grades?

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:45:39 PM)
Kennethchou- there are folks on the waitlist. This is as specific as I can be.

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:45:47 PM)
P, candidates who do not have a decision from the first round will be contacted.

Dibya Sahoo (Mar 5, 2008 3:46:16 PM)
How important is the reputation of the undergrad school/ univ? What other strength can I show in the application if my undergrad institution is not very well known outside my country ?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:46:17 PM)
P, it depends on the status of their application.

nikky (Mar 5, 2008 3:46:52 PM)
When is the last day for admitted applicants to accept?

Tom (Mar 5, 2008 3:46:57 PM)
Also when do 4th round notifications end?

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:47:16 PM)
usc_engr- You can send your transcripts to the address on our website. Dropping off transcripts at our office is not enough as they are not evaluated and processed here.

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:47:26 PM)
Dibya, we are aware of institutions both domestic and international. If it is international, we hope that candidates submit an English translation.

carmen (Mar 5, 2008 3:47:59 PM)
I'm taking a statistics class and will have the final grade in mid April, if I submitted supplement info (about volunteering and requested an alumni to write a letter of recommendation) a month ago, can I still let the admissions office know about my grade?

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:48:12 PM)
Tom- notification deadline for round 4 applicants is May 23rd.

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:48:32 PM)
Nikky, admitted candidates are given a date to accept to guarantee their space in class, after that date, it is on a first-come, first-served basis until the class is full.  Since we still have one more deadline, we cannot give a date at this time.

anxious (Mar 5, 2008 3:49:26 PM)
Not sure if this has been asked yet but of all things we can submit that is additional, what do you recommend most?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:50:20 PM)
Anxious, anything you feel strengthens your application. There is no preference. Just make sure the information is relevant.

gman (Mar 5, 2008 3:50:28 PM)
Kellee and Alicia, in each of your opinion, what is the most important thing you want waitlisters to know?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:50:42 PM)
I would caution against sending presentations, calendars, storybooks,...etc...

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:50:54 PM)
Carmen- If you have listed on your application you're taking a class, we will be expecting a transcripts from you. You email us to self report your grade, however we will also need for you to submit your transcripts once you have a final grade. You can do this via the address posted on our website.

Danny (Mar 5, 2008 3:51:25 PM)
Does Marshall takes into account the different and specific grading systems of each country? In some countries for example, it is really rare to get a high grade even if you master the material well.

zallera (Mar 5, 2008 3:52:10 PM)
How would you recommend we notifiy you of any promotions or new volunteer work? Send a letter, write an essay, just shoot an email?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:52:56 PM)
Danny, we review that information in context. Even domestic schools have differences in strength of the program. A 2.9 gpa from biomedical engineering is different than a 4.0 in basket weaving. :-)

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:53:04 PM)
Gman- I'll speak for both Kellee and myself, we'd like you to know that all applications are important to us. We put a lot of time and effort when selecting students but it is difficult, especially when you have to widdle down 2000 applicants to a class of about 230 students.

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:53:25 PM)
Our university can translate international school grading scales for us as well.

determined (Mar 5, 2008 3:53:45 PM)
What if the classes I am taking don't finish until June, does the fact that I am taking these courses alone help?

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:54:27 PM)
Zallera-you can send an email to marshallmba@marshall.usc.edu.  Electronic submissions are always better.

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:54:29 PM)
Determined, it is good for us to be aware, so that if the grades in the classes become a factor, we know to wait for them.

PHervey (Mar 5, 2008 3:55:05 PM)
Kellee, what about copies of articles written regarding you as an entrepreneur? Are these okay to send?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:56:24 PM)
PHervey, an article or two is fine. Once we get the point, no need to keep drilling...

J (Mar 5, 2008 3:56:38 PM)
Hi Kellee and Alicia, I recently was offered positions in IB Consumer goods group and have joined one. Should I try to update my admissions file with that information? Will it help at all in my determination? And lastly, how will I proceed to update this information to the admissions committee?

P (Mar 5, 2008 3:57:01 PM)
Thanks, Kellee. By status, do you mean incomplete? Assuming the first round application is complete, will a decision be sent before 2nd round notification begins?

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:58:13 PM)
P, if you are on this chat, you are a waitlisted candidate. If you are a first round candidate without a decision, email me directly at kscott@marshall.usc.edu with your questions.

Cindy Tokumitsu (Mar 5, 2008 3:58:53 PM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to Kellee and Alicia for taking the time to virtually meet with you, provide this information, and make this process as transparent and humane as possible. Have a very good day! Good luck with your applications!

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:58:58 PM)
J- this is information we'd like to know, especially if you have switched companies. You can always submit an updated resume via marshallmba@marshall.usc.edu. Let us know you are a waitlisted applicant and that you are submitting an update to your file.

AliciaValenciaUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:59:18 PM)
Thank you all for participating. Best of luck!  Feel free to contact me should you have additional questions. I can be reached at alicia.valencia@marshall.usc.edu.

KelleeScottUSC (Mar 5, 2008 3:59:41 PM)
Thank you all for joining us. Best of luck as well!  Bye. My direct email is kscott@marshall.usc.edu.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room