2009 Consortium MBA Application Strategies with Jackie Olden

2009 Consortium MBA Application Strategies with Jackie Olden

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Oct 23, 2008 7:03:00 PM)
First I want to welcome all applicants to the Consortium chat today. You need to know as much as you can to make a sound application decision and gain acceptance to the school of your choice. Being here today allows you to ask the Consortium experts and about this outstanding program and how it relates to their business schools. I also want to welcome our special guests for this evening:
  • Jackie M. Olden, Director of Recruiting, Consortium for Graduate Study in Management
  • Kellee Scott, Senior Associate Director, MBA Admissions Marshall School of Business at USC
  • Linwood N. Harris, Associate Director, Masters Programs Tepper School of Business, Carnegie Mellon University
  • Erin Nickelsburg, Director of Admissions and Recruitment, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin School of Business
  • Seann Sweeney, Assistant Director Marketing and Recruitment, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin School of Business
  • Tiffany Pryor, Associate Director of MBA Admissions and Manager of Diversity Recruitment, Goizueta School of business at Emory University
  • Tonya Harvey, Director of College Relations/Associate Director of Admissions, Simon Graduate School of Business at the University of Rochester
  • Rodrigo Malta, Associate Director of Admissions, McCombs School of Business at The University of Texas
  • Whitney Kestner, Associate Director, Darden School of Business
  • Shelley Clifford, Deputy Director of Admissions, Yale School of Management
  • Josue Portillo, Admissions Graduate Ambassador, Stern School of Business at NYU

Thanks to everyone for joining.

Linda Abraham (Oct 23, 2008 7:05:25 PM)
Given the current market situation, are more applicants applying through the Consortium?

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:06:14 PM)
Linda, it's still early, but applications seem to be up.

Linda Abraham (Oct 23, 2008 7:06:26 PM)
Is the absence of the CitiAssist program and the overall tightening of credit affecting your schools and applicants? What should applicants be doing now to prepare themselves to apply this year?

LinwoodHarrisCMU (Oct 23, 2008 7:07:51 PM)
No! Several are concerned, but I don't think it is affecting us.

ErinNickelsburgWISCONSIN (Oct 23, 2008 7:07:59 PM)
In regards to tightening of credit - it is not affecting our applicants and we don't anticipate that it will.

RTC (Oct 23, 2008 7:08:17 PM)
I have been rejected from several Consortium school's diversity weekends, but have been told to still apply. Is it still realistic to apply since more minority students are accepted to diversity weekends than are in the class?

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:08:18 PM)
Linda, CitiAssist loans are still coming in with no problems at NYU.

Mjimenez0 (Oct 23, 2008 7:08:32 PM)
What can a person do to get accepted into the Consortium if their GPA wasn't as good as the qualifications? What would you recommend for that person to do?

RodrigoMaltaTEXAS (Oct 23, 2008 7:08:41 PM)
Linda, regarding what applicants should be doing now - they should be visiting the schools through their diversity weekends!

Applicant (Oct 23, 2008 7:08:50 PM)
Shelley, what affect will Joel Podolny's departure from Yale SOM have on the School, and will it affect the School's rankings?

MikeJ (Oct 23, 2008 7:09:04 PM)
Tiffany - how can Consortium Applicants apply to the 1 year MBA program?

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:09:39 PM)
RTC, because the weekends are limited events and applications have not been reviewed, it can vary. Some schools may get many students in class who did not attend the diversity weekend events.

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:09:59 PM)
Linda, no loan issues at USC.

TiffanyPryorEMORY (Oct 23, 2008 7:10:15 PM)
MikeJ,  Consortium applicants interested in both the 2 year and 1 year programs will have to apply to the Consortium for the 2 year program and directly to Emory for the 1 year as the Consortium does not apply to the 1 year program.

RodrigoMaltaTEXAS (Oct 23, 2008 7:10:16 PM)
Linda, no loan issues at Texas either, so far so good.

Tiff (Oct 23, 2008 7:10:18 PM)
Is the same consideration given to applicants who apply by the 1/5 deadline as those who apply by 11/15 deadline?

ErinNickelsburgWISCONSIN (Oct 23, 2008 7:10:39 PM)
Mjimenez - if you are concerned about your low, undergraduate GPA, this is something to address in an addendum to your application. You want to be careful not to excuse your lack of performance, rather give reasons as to why. You also want to talk about how you are successful now, how your work experience has given you a new perspective and how you plan to work hard in your MBA.

ChrisG (Oct 23, 2008 7:10:42 PM)
My question is regarding the Consortium interview. Is the interview designed specifically for Consortium related questions? Or should we also be prepared to answer school specific questions?

ShelleyCliffordYALE (Oct 23, 2008 7:11:12 PM)
Applicant, thanks for your question. While we are saddened to see Joel leave us, we are excited for his future and the future of our school. Professor Oster has been a fantastic member of our faculty since the early 80s and she was an integral part of the formation of our MBA curriculum. We look forward to continuing all of our exciting initiatives at our school and do not anticipate any effect on our rankings.

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:11:19 PM)
Tiff, the answer is yes. Overall, admission is based on the merit of the application. The 1/5 deadline is still early enough for schools to have good space available in class.

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:11:42 PM)
Tiff, the same consideration is given to both deadlines. Don't feel that you should rush your application to get it in early. It's better to have a well prepared and thorough application than an early one.

AdClarissa (Oct 23, 2008 7:11:45 PM)
On the Web site, the deadline for completing the alumni interviews is December 16, 2 1/2 weeks prior to the January 5 deadline. When is the best time to interview if I plan on submitting for the January deadline?

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:11:47 PM)
Tiff, be sure to check with the individual schools as not all give early decisions on the 11/15 deadline.

sunmahen (Oct 23, 2008 7:11:50 PM)
Is it ok if I do not go to Diversity Weekends because I have visited the school several times before?

slp (Oct 23, 2008 7:12:06 PM)
Whitney, do you think it is beneficial for an applicant to use the optional essay to answer one of Darden's regular application questions?

LinwoodHarrisCMU (Oct 23, 2008 7:12:24 PM)
ChrisG, The interview is Consortium related, but feel free to ask any question to the interviewer. They are all trained to answer many questions, but go to the school representatives for more detailed information.

MBAChat (Oct 23, 2008 7:12:27 PM)
Rodrigo, you advised to visit the schools' diversity weekends. Is there anything an applicant, who is currently overseas for work, can do to help -- other than visit the school directly?

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:12:37 PM)
AdClarissa, the best time to interview for the Consortium is ASAP. Spots fill up early and it may be difficult to schedule one late in the process.

MikeJ (Oct 23, 2008 7:12:53 PM)
Thanks Tiffany! On average, what % of Consortium applicants were accepted to you program last year?

Tiff (Oct 23, 2008 7:12:57 PM)
I second Mike J's question about applying to Emory's 1 year MBA.

RodrigoMaltaTEXAS (Oct 23, 2008 7:13:04 PM)
Sunmahen - that is perfectly fine, your attendance at the Diversity Weekend should not impact your application decision.

nnash0622 (Oct 23, 2008 7:13:11 PM)
Do schools see the Consortium specific essay question as well? Or is this essay solely for the Consortium? And do the school specific essays play a role in getting a Consortium fellowship?

strugglin_app (Oct 23, 2008 7:13:24 PM)
Is it mandatory to attend a Consortium event to be able to apply through it?

TiffanyPryorEMORY (Oct 23, 2008 7:13:33 PM)
Sunmahen, attending Diversity weekends are completely up to you. If you have visited the school before, then you may not need to visit the school again.

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:13:53 PM)
Nnash, yes, all essays are read by the school and play a role in the fellowship.

Tiff (Oct 23, 2008 7:13:54 PM)
I am taking the GMAT on 11/8, what is the "average" GMAT score of Consortium applicants?

ErinNickelsburgWISCONSIN (Oct 23, 2008 7:14:22 PM)
MBAChat - You do not have to specifically visit on Diversity Weekend. If you are interested in a school but cannot visit at all, contact the school and see if they can provide you with email addresses for current students or alumni. Schools are also usually willing to do phone interviews, or set you up with a student to talk to. There are many ways to get information about the schools you are looking at!

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:14:26 PM)
Nnash0622, Schools will see their school specific essay only, not the essays for other schools you may have applied to. Since the Consortium app is somewhat "generic", this is a chance for a candidate to speak to a specific school.
LinwoodHarrisCMU (Oct 23, 2008 7:14:47 PM)
Strugglin, it is not mandatory, but remember your creating an impression by attending and it does make a difference.

Shereen (Oct 23, 2008 7:14:53 PM)
I live in Saudi Arabia -- how can I better my chances of being accepted as I was not able to attend the diversity weekend?

TiffanyPryorEMORY (Oct 23, 2008 7:14:55 PM)
MikeJ, I do not have the percentage with me this evening.

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:15:06 PM)
Nnash, the schools specific essay is one element for each school to consider in fellowship consideration.

LinwoodHarrisCMU (Oct 23, 2008 7:15:37 PM)
Shereen, Diversity weekend are not a requirement!

Andy (Oct 23, 2008 7:15:46 PM)
What experiences, besides leadership, are you looking for from military candidates?

AdClarissa (Oct 23, 2008 7:15:58 PM)
Do you recommend or require that all recommenders provide direct contact information? Is it likely that they will be contacted by the Consortium or the schools' admissions committee during the review process?

WhitneyKestnerDARDEN (Oct 23, 2008 7:16:05 PM)
AdClarissa: Thank you for your question. We recommend that you schedule your interview in advance of the deadline to make sure you have plenty of time to meet with the alum. I would also recommend that you are prepared and not rushed. Schedule it when you feel you are ready.

sunmahen (Oct 23, 2008 7:16:17 PM)
Related to ChrisG's Consortium Interview question - do they ask about how you have shown a commitment to diversity or about why you are applying to certain schools?

RodrigoMaltaTEXAS (Oct 23, 2008 7:16:26 PM)
Shereen - living abroad makes it tougher to take advantage of the diversity weekends, but there are other ways to get in touch with the schools. Through local alumni, chat sessions, email/phone exchange with current students, etc.

Ray (Oct 23, 2008 7:16:59 PM)
What is the best way to find out whether it would be advisable for an applicant to apply through the Consortium or not?

Claremont (Oct 23, 2008 7:17:14 PM)
The Consortium's essays allow for less opportunities to talk about professional accomplishments than standard applications do (through essays such as 'tell me about your most significant accomplishment', etc.). How do schools get to understand our leadership styles given this challenge? Do you recommend that we put our 'leadership' or another essay in the optional essay as further information?

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:17:19 PM)
AdClarissa, the email addresses are needed, if other contact information is provided, that's fine. Schools have the right to contact recommenders, the amount of follow-up varies by school.

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:17:22 PM)
Shereen, the diversity weekends are just another opportunity for prospective students to meet current students and professors as well as to gain a sense of the culture of the school. It can only help you to make a better choice of schools, but by no means does it hurt you if you do not attend the diversity weekends.

Tiff (Oct 23, 2008 7:17:24 PM)
Is it okay to interview for Consortium prior to submitting an application?

ShelleyCliffordYALE (Oct 23, 2008 7:17:28 PM)
Tiff - you should really check the average GMAT scores for the schools that you are interested in.

LinwoodHarrisCMU (Oct 23, 2008 7:17:50 PM)
Andy, leadership is an important part of the application process, but there are other factors that we all consider. Teamwork examples and experiences, quality of work performance, etc. Not just leadership alone!

RodrigoMaltaTEXAS (Oct 23, 2008 7:17:59 PM)
Andy - your ability to work in teams, both as a leader and as a team member, is very important as many of the projects in b-school are team based in nature.

ErinNickelsburgWISCONSIN (Oct 23, 2008 7:18:08 PM)
Sunmahen - you have to show a commitment to the Consortium's mission in order to be qualified to apply. This means that you must demonstrate a commitment to enhancing diversity in business education and leadership by helping to reduce the serious under-representation of African Americans, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans in both our member schools’ enrollments and the ranks of management.

Applicant (Oct 23, 2008 7:18:14 PM)
Shelley, can you talk about how Yale SOM will handle the Consortium applicants since this is Yale's first year with CGSM? Will Yale group Consortium Round 1 applicants with Yale's Round 1 applicants or will they be pushed to Round 2?

WhitneyKestnerDARDEN (Oct 23, 2008 7:18:16 PM)
SLP: I would recommend using the optional essay to highlight something new that you have not addressed in previous required essays. Answering a Darden specific essay might be worthwhile, perhaps talking about your fit with the case method. This might be a good topic to write about in the optional essay.

Mjimenez0 (Oct 23, 2008 7:18:20 PM)
JosueNYU: How many people from the Consortium apply to the Stern program and how many get accepted?

Tom (Oct 23, 2008 7:18:27 PM)
What role does school ranking play in acceptance, and what role does it play in fellowship awards?

sunmahen (Oct 23, 2008 7:18:46 PM)
Jackie, I would like to hear examples of how applicants have shown a commitment to the Consortium's commitment and some examples of applicants who applied through Consortium, but their activities were not sufficient enough to show that they were committed to the Consortium's mission.

ko (Oct 23, 2008 7:19:18 PM)
The application indicates that the mission recommendation is taken into consideration for Consortium membership. One of my professional recommenders would also be a strong recommender for the mission. Will the professional recommendations be taken into account as an assessment of our commitment to the mission?

Brian (Oct 23, 2008 7:19:25 PM)
Does applying to several Consortium schools decrease your chances of getting into your top choice? Or is it better to only apply to your top choice if you know that's where you want to go?

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:19:32 PM)
Tom, the rankings are independent of the admission decision. The rankings are only the order in which a school can offer the fellowship. This only comes into play if you are admitted and accepted as a member.

ShelleyCliffordYALE (Oct 23, 2008 7:19:35 PM)
Thanks Applicant - the Consortium's early deadline is after our first round deadline which was October 22nd. Therefore, we will consider all Consortium applicants in our second round of applications. We will make every effort to give all applicants a decision by early March.

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:19:36 PM)
Mjimeneze, the admissions office has not published those numbers, but if you would like more specific information, you can email sternmba@stern.nyu.edu , and someone will research your question and get back to you.

TonyaHarveyROCHESTER (Oct 23, 2008 7:19:39 PM)
Ray - You should visit the CGSM website and review the mission of the Consortium. If you feel that you are someone who has demonstrated commitment to the mission of increasing minority representation in b-schools and management positions, then you should apply.

Olya (Oct 23, 2008 7:19:52 PM)
Because the Consortium application is "universal", am I at a disadvantage by applying through Consortium and not directly to the school?

MBAChat (Oct 23, 2008 7:20:02 PM)
How favorably does the Consortium favor social/volunteer work? Does it depend on the school you are applying to?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Oct 23, 2008 7:20:03 PM)
Sunmahen - please contact our office offline. The answer to this question is quite lengthy.
ErinNickelsburgWISCONSIN (Oct 23, 2008 7:20:07 PM)
Ko - We take everything into consideration in regards to commitment to the mission, recommendation letters included.

nubiankp (Oct 23, 2008 7:20:12 PM)
Jackie - what percent of applicants do not receive a Consortium fellowship, but are accepted to one of their selected schools?

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:20:43 PM)
Olya, by no means is applying through the Consortium a disadvantage. On the contrary, the Consortium is just another network that will enhance your business school experience.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Oct 23, 2008 7:21:00 PM)
Nubiankp, about 30% of the admitted students do not receive the fellowship.

AdClarissa (Oct 23, 2008 7:21:18 PM)
Do you recommend that the mission statement letter be written by someone directly affiliated with the organizations cited in the mission statement essay?

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:21:28 PM)
Ko, there is a specific letter of recommendation that is to demonstrate a candidate's commitment to the mission.

TonyaHarveyROCHESTER (Oct 23, 2008 7:21:53 PM)
Olya - all of the Consortium members schools have agreed to use (though UNC has a different application) the common application, so you are not at a disadvantage to use the common application.

Claremont (Oct 23, 2008 7:21:54 PM)
Will schools take our ranking into consideration for admissions? I have visits scheduled after the admissions deadline because I need to get more insight and I want to make sure schools are taking my interest in them seriously.

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:21:59 PM)
Ko, if elements of the professional recommendation speak to the mission demonstration, it will be considered.

Mjimenez0 (Oct 23, 2008 7:22:04 PM)
Josue, is diversity weekend the only time to visit NYU? Are there other chances to visit the school or get more information about the MBA program?

slp (Oct 23, 2008 7:22:23 PM)
Whitney, is Darden's decisions made on a rolling basis?

LinwoodHarrisCMU (Oct 23, 2008 7:22:24 PM)
Brian, No! It doesn't decrease your chances There are 6 schools in which you can apply, and the cost is excellent. I believe it can increase your chances to enroll.

Andy (Oct 23, 2008 7:22:27 PM)
Is coming directly from the military advisable? Do schools prefer work experience in the civilian world?

RTC (Oct 23, 2008 7:22:38 PM)
When will Consortium applicants find out their admission decisions since the school deadline doesn't tend to coincide with the Consortium deadline?

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:23:00 PM)
Mjimenez, you can visit NYU at any time. We have scheduled class visits that you can sign up for online, and we give tours daily to prospective students.

MBA09! (Oct 23, 2008 7:23:00 PM)
I have taken the GMAT and sent my scores to the Consortium, however I am retaking the exam on November 6th. If I send my November 6th score directly to the Consortium, will this be taken into account for the first round (Nov 15) deadline?

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:23:05 PM)
Andy, military is considered work experience! :-). The leadership and discipline is favorable to employers as well.

WhitneyKestnerDARDEN (Oct 23, 2008 7:23:21 PM)
SLP: We do not have a rolling admissions process. We review the applications after the deadlines.

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:23:47 PM)
MBA09, the Nov 6 score should be ok for the Nov 15 deadline.

Shereen (Oct 23, 2008 7:23:57 PM)
Will applying through the Consortium better my chances of getting admitted to the desired school?

AdClarissa (Oct 23, 2008 7:24:09 PM)
If I plan to apply via the Consortium application, is it possible that I could be admitted to the school based on academic achievement and other factors, but be denied acceptance into the Consortium?

ErinNickelsburgWISCONSIN (Oct 23, 2008 7:24:20 PM)
MBA009 - We ask that you fax a copy to the Consortium, but yes, we should be able to get your scores within 5 days of your taking the exam.

Sabrina (Oct 23, 2008 7:24:48 PM)
Are the application packages for Consortium applications assessed differently from those of non-Consortium applications, considering Consortium applications contain less school specific essays?

Ray (Oct 23, 2008 7:24:56 PM)
Tonya Harvey - I have visited the website and reviewed the mission several times, but would like to clarify-- Is helping under-represented minorities obtain college degree, which indirectly supports the under-representation of minorities in b-schools and management, be considered supporting the mission?

KelleeScottUSC(Oct 23, 2008 7:24:59 PM)
Shereen, the Consortium application is reviewed no differently than the regular school application. The fact that you are applying through Consortium is not a factor.

Tiff (Oct 23, 2008 7:25:06 PM)
I have had a mentor since undergraduate school, who knows me well, both professionally and personally. Would she be ideal as the Mission recommender, even though I never technically worked for her?

ChrisG (Oct 23, 2008 7:25:24 PM)
Is the deadline for the Consortium Interview Nov 15th to be considered for the first round of the Consortium application?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Oct 23, 2008 7:25:32 PM)
RTC, the admission decisions go out at various times based on the schools process. Our schools agreed to abide by the CGSM deadlines.

MBA Hopeful (Oct 23, 2008 7:25:39 PM)
As a graduate student, what role does graduate work have in the admissions process? I do have 3.5 years of post undergraduate work experience.

mba_applicant (Oct 23, 2008 7:25:52 PM)
The application states that the GMAT deadline for Round II is December 20 - will a GMAT score taken between 12/20/08 and 1/5/09 be taken into consideration?

LinwoodHarrisCMU (Oct 23, 2008 7:25:54 PM)
Ad Clarissa, Yes! We will grant admissions decision, but not all applicants will receive membership or fellowships.

chrisDET (Oct 23, 2008 7:26:04 PM)
Are there circumstances where an unofficial transcript will be accepted from the undergraduate university?

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:26:13 PM)
ChrisG, if your application is submitted and complete by Nov 15th, it is considered in the 1st round. However, check with your specific schools, as not all schools give early decision.

WhitneyKestnerDARDEN (Oct 23, 2008 7:26:14 PM)
Sabrina: We take a holistic approach to all of our applications whether they are Consortium or not. We feel that the Consortium required essays, as well as the school specific one, gives us a good understanding of who you are and what you value.

TiffanyPryorEMORY (Oct 23, 2008 7:26:28 PM)
Tiff, that would be a fine recommender as long as she is able to address exactly what is being asked with regards to your demonstration and dedication to the mission of the Consortium.

Tom (Oct 23, 2008 7:26:31 PM)
How can I tell if the Consortium has received my GMAT score? (Receipt of my transcripts has been indicated, but GMAT has not). Jackie -- to expound on RTC's question, is there a location to find out notification dates for specific schools?

ErinNickelsburgWISCONSIN (Oct 23, 2008 7:26:33 PM)
MBA Hopeful - Most schools require that you have at least two years of full-time post-undergraduate work experience. It is a focal point of the application process.

SeannSweeneyWISCONSIN (Oct 23, 2008 7:26:59 PM)
Mba_applicant, if you take it by Dec 20th, that is fine.

Linda Abraham (Oct 23, 2008 7:27:24 PM)
For all of you: How can an applicant differentiate him or herself from other candidates?

TonyaHarveyROCHESTER (Oct 23, 2008 7:27:31 PM)
Ray - yes, that sounds like it supports the mission!

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Oct 23, 2008 7:27:43 PM)
Tom, your GMAT score will appear in your profile as received.

KelleeScottUSC(Oct 23, 2008 7:28:07 PM)
Linda, an applicant should know and tell their story. Each person is unique and there are ways to add personal spin to what may seem generic.

TiffanyPryorEMORY (Oct 23, 2008 7:28:27 PM)
Linda, you have the opportunity to express yourself in your interviews as well!

WhitneyKestnerDARDEN (Oct 23, 2008 7:28:29 PM)
We tell our applicants to be themselves when writing their essays - not to write what you think we want to hear. Please be authentic. If you enjoy writing your essays, we will enjoy reading them!

ShelleyCliffordYALE (Oct 23, 2008 7:28:52 PM)
An applicant could really focus on highlighting their skill sets developed in past experience, professional and otherwise, tie into what they want to get out of an MBA and clearly state what it is they want to do after business school. Tell us what is unique and amazing about you.

ErinNickelsburgWISCONSIN (Oct 23, 2008 7:28:54 PM)
The Wisconsin School looks for students that have a commitment to their area of specialization prior to enrolling. We have 12 different specializations and a student that demonstrates a truly sincere passion for their specialization of choice will stand out.

LinwoodHarrisCMU (Oct 23, 2008 7:28:55 PM)
ChrisDET, Unofficial transcripts might be used for review by a member school, but you need to have an official transcript to complete your file.

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:29:15 PM)
MBA-applicant, all, policies on early admission decisions and how late a GMAT score is received may vary by school. Remember, the Consortium is processing the application, but schools make the decision. Contact the individual schools.

RodrigoMaltaTEXAS (Oct 23, 2008 7:29:24 PM)
Linda, be genuine and ALWAYS let you passion show through -- passion for your goals and the schools to which you are applying. If you are not excited about your goals, no one else will be.

TonyaHarveyROCHESTER (Oct 23, 2008 7:29:29 PM)
Linda, regarding differentiating yourself, you should be truthful and tell your story - your experiences and how they have led you to this point of pursuing your MBA.

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:29:33 PM)
As long as your personality comes through and your application shows a logical career progression with reasons why an MBA would enhance that progression, you will stand out as a strong candidate.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Oct 23, 2008 7:29:55 PM)
Tom / RTC - You will need to contact the individual schools for specific time lines.

Tiff (Oct 23, 2008 7:30:00 PM)
I know the recommenders will be prompted to fill out a form in addition to the actual recommendation letter - what type of questions are recommenders asked?

Vanessa (Oct 23, 2008 7:30:08 PM)
When is the best time to take the GMAT for 2010 consideration?

nubiankp (Oct 23, 2008 7:30:18 PM)
In terms of leadership - how are formal (i.e. managerial roles) and informal roles (i.e. taking a lead on a project) viewed. Is there a disadvantage to those applicants without formal managerial responsibilities?

sunmahen (Oct 23, 2008 7:30:39 PM)
Jackie - I was recently appointed to be co-president of an organization in which I participate.  We promote recruiting and retaining diverse talent in our industry and in this organization. I also mentor young, diverse talent at my company. Does this broad description fit the bill for a commitment to the mission?

RTC (Oct 23, 2008 7:30:43 PM)
What are ways to improve your "numbers" besides retaking the GMAT and taking more classes? How many extra classes do I need to show an improvement in my numbers? Is 2 enough?

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:30:56 PM)
Nubiankp, leadership is leadership. It is a demonstration of a skill, no matter what the setting. Be sure to give good examples.

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:30:57 PM)
Vanessa, the best time to take the GMAT is whenever you are most prepared to take it. The scores will be valid for a few years.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Oct 23, 2008 7:31:01 PM)
Tiff - the recommender questions are pretty generic. How long have you known the applicant and under what circumstances? What are his/her strengths, weakness, how will s/he perform in an MBA program?

Maria (Oct 23, 2008 7:31:05 PM)
Do you, in addition to looking at the overall GMAT score, look at the verbal and math scores separately? If so, is a large emphasis placed on one over the other?

MikeJ (Oct 23, 2008 7:31:17 PM)
Jackie, besides the school specific essays, does each school see the other 3 essays from the Consortium?

LTejerina2 (Oct 23, 2008 7:31:33 PM)
Hi Rodrigo - How busy are you guys within the next two weeks for Consortium interviews? Do I get to choose a time or do I depend on your representative?

WhitneyKestnerDARDEN (Oct 23, 2008 7:31:39 PM)
Vanessa: It is great you are thinking ahead. You may want to consider taking a GMAT prep class. Be sure to prepare and practice before taking the test. Many applicants take it more than once, so you may want to factor that in to your timeline.

ChrisG (Oct 23, 2008 7:32:17 PM)
Transcripts clarification - Does "official transcripts" mean that we have to mail the official University sealed envelope?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Oct 23, 2008 7:32:21 PM)
Sunhamen, yes this is perfect. You will need to detail your responsibilities and tell of your impact.

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:32:25 PM)
Maria, ask the specific schools, but generally, quant is more important due to the analytical nature of the GMAT core. We must see a good demonstration of quantitative skills. This is especially true for candidates with backgrounds where no quant classes were taken.

TiffanyPryorEMORY (Oct 23, 2008 7:32:28 PM)
RTC - There are no true ways to improve the "numbers". While taking additional classes is an option, I would encourage you to contact the school you are interested in and speak with them directly.

Brian (Oct 23, 2008 7:32:32 PM)
Jackie - what happens if multiple schools want to offer an applicant a fellowship? Does the applicant always receive the fellowship from his top choice in this case?

RodrigoMaltaTEXAS (Oct 23, 2008 7:32:33 PM)
Hey LTejerina - Spots fill up quick for the CGSM interview, but we still have some spots open. Call me directly to schedule your interview.

RTC (Oct 23, 2008 7:32:36 PM)
What would help a re-applicant get admitted?

fab (Oct 23, 2008 7:32:53 PM)
I am already sending my GMAT score to the Consortium & I am applying to schools A & B through the Consortium. Do I still need to send my score to schools A & B separately?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Oct 23, 2008 7:33:06 PM)
MikeJ, all schools will see the Consortium specific essays.

Claremont (Oct 23, 2008 7:33:10 PM)
Jackie, in our essays about our dedication to the mission of the Consortium, is it appropriate to discuss our cultural upbringing and uniqueness, or more our service activities?

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:33:13 PM)
Maria, overall and individual scores are considered. If there is a large gap between the two, then the rest of the application should show how you can make up for the weaker score. Having said that, there is no "formula" that  the Adcoms use with regards to GMAT.

LTejerina2 (Oct 23, 2008 7:33:19 PM)
Rodrigo, would that interview count for the interview that UT would request if my application passes the first round? Or would there be a second interview?

KelleeScottUSC(Oct 23, 2008 7:33:22 PM)
RTC; Show improvement from the last application. Schools offer counseling at the end of the cycle. Be sure to take advantage of it to gain tips on how to improve.

Linda Abraham (Oct 23, 2008 7:33:55 PM)
How do you evaluate Fellowship applicants?

SeannSweeneyWISCONSIN (Oct 23, 2008 7:33:56 PM)
Fab, you only need to send your GMAT score to the Consortium. You do not need send your score to schools A & B directly. They will get your score through the Consortium.

TonyaHarveyROCHESTER (Oct 23, 2008 7:34:09 PM)
ChrisG - Yes, official transcript means that the transcript needs to have the raised seal of the issuing institution and be in a sealed envelope with the college/university seal on the outside.

AdClarissa (Oct 23, 2008 7:34:16 PM)
My volunteer and work experience to date has allowed me to promote diversity in my professional organization and counsel minority-owned businesses; however, as I am based in Seattle, several of the beneficiaries of my efforts have been Asian-American and therefore not "under-represented." Would it still be worthwhile to discuss this experience in my mission support statement?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Oct 23, 2008 7:34:20 PM)
Claremont, we are looking at your service activities first. Feel free to add additional information you think will positively reflect your commitment.

MBAChat (Oct 23, 2008 7:34:24 PM)
Does listing 3 schools vs. 5 schools make any difference on the Consortium application?

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:34:44 PM)
Linda, Fellowships are based on the merits of the application. Each school has their criteria on what constitutes a fellowship recipient.

RodrigoMaltaTEXAS (Oct 23, 2008 7:35:05 PM)
Ltejerina, the CGSM interview is counted as your Texas interview and there is no need for an additional interview. This answer is specific for Texas though. Other schools may require a school specific interview in addition to your CGSM interview.

Claremont (Oct 23, 2008 7:35:49 PM)
Whitney, what makes Darden's application review unique - what would you say you look at 'more' than other schools do? Shelley - same question for Yale SOM

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:35:52 PM)
Ltejerina, NYU will have its own school interview on an invite basis in addition to the mandatory Consortium interview.

WhitneyKestnerDARDEN (Oct 23, 2008 7:36:34 PM)
AdClarissa: My advice is to review the mission of the Consortium and write your essay accordingly.

twintai (Oct 23, 2008 7:36:49 PM)
Can you make any recommendations about how to handle the required interview?

ShelleyCliffordYALE (Oct 23, 2008 7:36:50 PM)
Claremont - I am not sure what other schools look for that would be different per se, but we do look for people who we would think would be fitting both to the mission of the Consortium and our school.

LinwoodHarrisCMU (Oct 23, 2008 7:36:53 PM)
MBAChat, you should feel comfortable applying to 1 - 6 schools. It will not hurt your enrollment chances to apply to more schools. That is the benefit of utilizing the Consortium. Apply to the schools that best fits you.

strugglin_app (Oct 23, 2008 7:37:09 PM)
Is the Consortium specifically for American minorities?

ChrisG (Oct 23, 2008 7:37:25 PM)
How long is the Consortium interview? Is there a time limit?

Tiff (Oct 23, 2008 7:37:30 PM)
What is an example of an interview question that may be asked in a school-specific interview, which is not terribly obvious (i.e. "why do you want to pursue your MBA at this time")?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Oct 23, 2008 7:37:53 PM)
Chris, the interview typically takes 60 minutes.

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:37:57 PM)
Twintai, it is great if you can schedule your interview at a Consortium school. However, review their interview policies. Alumni contacts are on the Consortium website, so they are also an option. Just email them.

Sid (Oct 23, 2008 7:38:00 PM)
In regards to the interview, does it matter with which school representative you interview?

WhitneyKestnerDARDEN (Oct 23, 2008 7:38:10 PM)
Claremont: I think all of the Consortium schools approach reviewing applications in a holistic manner. We want to get to know you through your essays, recommendations, extra curricular activities, etc.

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:38:15 PM)
Tiff, you should know the following very well: Why MBA? Why XYZ school? Why ABC career choice?

RTC (Oct 23, 2008 7:38:19 PM)
If I have worked with refugees from Somalia to help them graduate high school and go to college, does this support the mission?

TonyaHarveyROCHESTER (Oct 23, 2008 7:38:57 PM)
Strugglin_app - It is for US citizens and US permanent residents from under-represented groups or other persons who support the mission of the Consortium.

nana (Oct 23, 2008 7:39:11 PM)
Does admission to a Consortium school constitute membership to the Consortium?

WhitneyKestnerDARDEN (Oct 23, 2008 7:39:15 PM)
Sid: At Darden, it does not matter with which school representative you interview.

MikeJ (Oct 23, 2008 7:39:21 PM)
Tiffany, my GMAT score was below the Emory average.  I scored very high in math, low in verbal and very high on the essays. What's your advice on addressing this to the Adcom?

twintai (Oct 23, 2008 7:39:26 PM)
KelleeScottUSC - Do we have a choice between interviews with school representatives or alumni?

TiffanyPryorEMORY (Oct 23, 2008 7:39:29 PM)
Sid, that depends on the school. When you schedule your interview with a school, inform them initially that you are setting up a Consortium interview.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Oct 23, 2008 7:39:32 PM)
RTC, we would need more details to make a determination in this case. Please call our office so we can clarify. 
Linda Abraham (Oct 23, 2008 7:39:44 PM)
May Consortium applicants submit the school's application as opposed to the Consortium application or in addition to the Consortium application if applying to schools other than UNC?

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:39:48 PM)
Nana, no it does not. The decision is three parts, first admission, then membership and last fellowship. Each one is an independent decision.

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:39:56 PM)
Admission to the school does not automatically guarantee admission to Consortium.

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:40:13 PM)
Twintai, If you are in Los Angeles, I would encourage you to come to USC to interview.

Linda Abraham (Oct 23, 2008 7:40:55 PM)
What are the benefits of Consortium membership, other than the fellowships?

RodrigoMaltaTEXAS (Oct 23, 2008 7:41:11 PM)
Linda, one of the key CGSM benefits is its alumni network.

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:41:12 PM)
If you qualify to apply through the Consortium, we strongly encourage you to do so.

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:41:28 PM)
Linda, just access and networking are just as valuable as the fellowship to a Consortium member.

Tiff (Oct 23, 2008 7:41:37 PM)
I live in Boston area, any suggestions on where/ with whom to interview?

twintai (Oct 23, 2008 7:41:41 PM)
KelleeScottUSC - I will schedule with USC then. I do indeed live in Los Angeles. Thank you.

ko (Oct 23, 2008 7:41:53 PM)
How does a high GMAT score balance out an average (3.2) GPA? Does the high 700+ score remove doubt about academic ability?

LinwoodHarrisCMU (Oct 23, 2008 7:42:03 PM)
Linda, some benefits are: One common application for up to 6 schools, Minimized application fees (comparatively), Association with leading business schools committed to cultivating and maintaining diversity, Opportunity to be selected for a full fellowship to attend a member school leading to reduced loan debt Access to top business organizations (private, public and non-profit), Strong alumni network, Early career management and professional development through the Orientation Program.

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:42:04 PM)
Benefits to CGSM: Network, interview and career coaching, affiliation to school clubs.

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:42:04 PM)
Twintai, thank you. Just call our office to schedule your interview.

TiffanyPryorEMORY (Oct 23, 2008 7:42:15 PM)
MikeJ - You will first need to demonstrate that you have attempted the test more than once and that you are making strides to strengthen your GMAT score. Taking the test once does not provide the AdCom with an opportunity to see any difference.

Angela (Oct 23, 2008 7:42:18 PM)
How important is it to have my Consortium interview on campus if I have already visited the school?

fab (Oct 23, 2008 7:42:49 PM)
What is the role of student liaisons? Is it okay to contact them for advice about their particular schools? Please share info about do's and don'ts.

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:42:52 PM)
Ko, there is no formula that guarantees admission. The application as a whole is considered.

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:43:14 PM)
Ko, it's all about balance. Where you feel your application is weak, make it stronger in other area. However, it's not just stats. Your essays, interview, and letters of recommendation are weighed just as much in your decision.

twintai (Oct 23, 2008 7:43:15 PM)
Kellee - When I interview with a rep from USC, is that to represent the Consortium interview or USC specific interview?

ChrisG (Oct 23, 2008 7:43:19 PM)
Is your goal to get to know our personality or find out information such as: Why a certain school? What is our commitment to the Consortium mission? Why do we want to pursue an MBA? How did we rank the schools?

Applicant (Oct 23, 2008 7:43:30 PM)
Shelley, I am interviewing with a CGSM alumnus on the West Coast. Does this interview count for the Yale interview, or would I need to complete a separate interview with Yale if I make it that far? If I can't come to Yale, are there Yale alumni available on the West Coast to interview? Would you strongly suggest that I come to Yale for an on-campus interview if I reach that stage?

vibi15 (Oct 23, 2008 7:43:42 PM)
Are there any limitations applying through the Consortium? I've read reviews that the Consortium essays don't provide as much opportunity to present one's best.

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:43:42 PM)
Fab, we encourage contact with student liaisons as a way to gain a unique perspective to the school.

MikeJ (Oct 23, 2008 7:43:58 PM)
I have taken the exam more than once.

RodrigoMaltaTEXAS (Oct 23, 2008 7:44:13 PM)
Fab - the student liaisons are great sources for insights on the MBA programs you are interested in, how you may fit in those schools, etc.

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:44:14 PM)
Twintai, it's your Consortium interview for any Consortium school. The assessment focuses on your skills as an MBA candidate, not school specific. Any USC specific discussion is just between us.

ko (Oct 23, 2008 7:44:42 PM)
Do all schools to which I apply see my ranking for fellowship purposes?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Oct 23, 2008 7:44:46 PM)
Angela, I encourage you to interview on campus if you live in the city and that school is your first choice.

WhitneyKestnerDARDEN (Oct 23, 2008 7:44:52 PM)
Fab: School liaisons are a wonderful resource. Please reach out to them and ask them about their experiences at school - ask them about the learning environment, faculty, career opportunities - things you might be worried to ask the Adcom. Please be respectful of their time of course, but they can give you an inside look in to the program.

LinwoodHarrisCMU (Oct 23, 2008 7:44:55 PM)
Angela, it is not necessary to have your interview on campus, but it does give the member schools Admissions Office the opportunity to meet you and get to know you. An on campus interviews can really provide you the best opportunity to see if you really fit in that environment.

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:44:57 PM)
Ko: Yes, all schools see your rankings.

ShelleyCliffordYALE (Oct 23, 2008 7:45:01 PM)
Applicant: We would require a second, Yale-specific, interview if we would like to admit you to Yale. You could choose to interview with any of our alumni on the West Coast (LA, San Francisco, etc) if that would be more convenient. We would contact you directly should we need to set one of those up.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Oct 23, 2008 7:45:37 PM)
Ko, all schools will see your ranking, but it does not matter for admission. The decisions are totally independent.

nana (Oct 23, 2008 7:45:38 PM)
What % of applicants got Consortium membership and what % got fellowships last year?

RTC (Oct 23, 2008 7:46:05 PM)
Do the schools see my ranking for the admission decision or just at the time for fellowship decisions?

twintai (Oct 23, 2008 7:46:27 PM)
To all School Reps: If I've been working since high school and therefore have limited extracurricular activities, do you consider this a strength or weakness?

KelleeScottUSC(Oct 23, 2008 7:46:31 PM)
All, as far as interviews, you are required one for Consortium, however, schools have the option to call you for a school specific interview if they so desire to get to know you more.

Tom (Oct 23, 2008 7:46:43 PM)
Josue: If I rank, for example, Ross first, and than Stern, both will see that. Is it conceivable then, that Stern would not accept me based on not putting them first, to accept a student who does put them first?

MikeJ (Oct 23, 2008 7:46:48 PM)
Linwood, would you have a rough number of how many Consortium students were accepted last year?

ChrisG (Oct 23, 2008 7:47:10 PM)
is it a disadvantage to have your Consortium interview at a school that you are not applying to?

TiffanyPryorEMORY (Oct 23, 2008 7:47:12 PM)
MikeJ - With that scenario the AdCom would review coursework on your transcript. Emory would like to see a 50th percentile regarding the quantitative section. If there are still concerns about your application and/or preparation, we would encourage you to take a math course and retake the exam.

MBA Hopeful (Oct 23, 2008 7:47:28 PM)
I'm not clear as to how graduate work plays into the admissions process. I have 3.5 years of post undergraduate work experience, but I'm currently in graduate school.

LinwoodHarrisCMU (Oct 23, 2008 7:47:34 PM)
Ko & Tom, how you rank a school has no effect on getting admitted to a member school!

nubiankp (Oct 23, 2008 7:47:47 PM)
Jackie - Does the Consortium plan to add any information sessions or MAP Seminars to the current recruitment calendar?

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:47:51 PM)
ChrisG, it's seems odd to interview at a school to which you are not applying. Perhaps an alum is better.

ErinNickelsburgWISCONSIN (Oct 23, 2008 7:47:54 PM)
Twintai - we are interested in seeing well rounded students. If you can demonstrate that quality through your work experience and volunteering, rather than extra curricular activities, that is fine.

LinwoodHarrisCMU (Oct 23, 2008 7:47:57 PM)
Mike J, We accepted 25!

Shereen (Oct 23, 2008 7:48:10 PM)
I know that GMAT is a requirement, however, if all other areas are composing a good standing in my admission, what is the possibility of dropping the GMAT requirement? My job is very demanding and taking time off to prepare for the test is very difficult.

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:48:36 PM)
Shereen, the GMAT is required, there is no exception to this.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Oct 23, 2008 7:48:37 PM)
Nana, roughly 98% of our admitted applicants get membership. Over 65% received a positive admission decision.

ErinNickelsburgWISCONSIN (Oct 23, 2008 7:48:43 PM)
Shereen - the GMAT will always be required.

Tiff (Oct 23, 2008 7:48:43 PM)
Tiffany - do you have a rough idea of what the 50th percentile is for quant on GMAT?

LinwoodHarrisCMU (Oct 23, 2008 7:48:50 PM)
Shereen, we will never waiver the GMAT!

LTejerina2 (Oct 23, 2008 7:48:54 PM)
Vibi15, I'm not school representative, but I'd tell you not to get discouraged by the topics the Consortium wants you to write about. They may not be too broad, but they don't give you word limit. If you are creative, you have space to really talk about you.

adthomps (Oct 23, 2008 7:49:16 PM)
Is it possible to complete 2 Consortium interviews with alumni from different schools?

mba_applicant (Oct 23, 2008 7:49:50 PM)
Can fellowship decisions be affected by rankings at all? For example, if a fellowship is not awarded by the schools someone listed as 1-5, will the school ranked #6 feel that it's less likely the applicant will enroll, and therefore be less inclined to award a fellowship to this individual?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Oct 23, 2008 7:49:51 PM)
Nubian, we do not plan to add additional MAPS or Info Sessions to this year's calendar.

Applicant (Oct 23, 2008 7:50:04 PM)
Shelley, thanks for answering my questions. What kinds of changes are planned for Yale in the future? I know that you are building a new facility. It's interesting to know what is on the horizon. Thanks.

MikeJ (Oct 23, 2008 7:50:07 PM)
Thanks Tiffany, I scored in the 77th percentile in quant, 38th in Verbal, though I scored a 5/6 on the essay section.

ErinNickelsburgWISCONSIN (Oct 23, 2008 7:50:17 PM)
MBAHopfeul - 3.5 years of work experience, post-undergraduate would make you a competitive applicant, even if you are currently in graduate school. All of the schools take a holistic view of admission, so both your work experience and schooling would be considered along with GMAT, GPA, letters of recommendation, resume, etc.

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:50:17 PM)
Asthomps, you are required to have ONE Consortium interview. Only one goes into the system, so a second interview is not necessary.

twintai (Oct 23, 2008 7:50:18 PM)
How do you view a candidate's lack of volunteering? In my case, I worked during the day and went to school at night. Therefore, I didn't have enough time for volunteering. What's your view of this?

TiffanyPryorEMORY (Oct 23, 2008 7:50:27 PM)
Tiff - I am not sure the raw score for the 50th percentile.

vibi15 (Oct 23, 2008 7:51:04 PM)
I am visiting 3 of the schools - should I interview with all of them? I didn't do well in the verbal part of the GMAT and I see the interviews as an opportunity to present my communication skills. Any thoughts as to why having 3 interviews may hurt?

ErinNickelsburgWISCONSIN (Oct 23, 2008 7:51:08 PM)
Twintai - We look for well rounded individuals. You will need to present that on your b-school applications.

Angela (Oct 23, 2008 7:51:12 PM)
Is there a particular order in which the Consortium and the school specific essays are reviewed?

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:51:20 PM)
Twintai, there is a balance. We understand that some students work through school.

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:51:24 PM)
Twintai, you should try to communicate your commitment to the mission as well as you can.

MBA Hopeful (Oct 23, 2008 7:51:42 PM)
It doesn't sound like Graduate School adds much to the application. Is that a good assessment?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Oct 23, 2008 7:52:04 PM)
Mba_applicant: Fellowships have been awarded to 6th choice schools in the past. Be sure to rank only schools you have researched and would enroll if offered a fellowship.

WhitneyKestnerDARDEN (Oct 23, 2008 7:52:11 PM)
Angela: If I understand your question correctly, we typically read them in order - Consortium questions 1 - 3 and then the school specific essay.

twintai (Oct 23, 2008 7:52:38 PM)
Jackie: How creative can we be in our essays?
Leviathan (Oct 23, 2008 7:52:40 PM)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the essays limited to two double spaced pages?
TiffanyPryorEMORY (Oct 23, 2008 7:52:46 PM)
Leviathan, essays are limited to two double spaced pages.

LTejerina2 (Oct 23, 2008 7:52:48 PM)
Tiff, 50th percentile is about 20 - 21 raw score.

ErinNickelsburgWISCONSIN (Oct 23, 2008 7:52:55 PM)
MBA Hopeful: Not necessarily, many MBA's come through with other Graduate School work (i.e. Law School, an MS, etc.) completed. It demonstrates to us your commitment to your education and presents you as a well rounded individual.

Tom (Oct 23, 2008 7:53:03 PM)
Tiff -- I'm a GMAT instructor -- you can't translate a raw score to a percentile, because the test adapts -- so different questions effect the score differently. That being said, normally a 540 is 50th percentile.
Maria (Oct 23, 2008 7:53:12 PM)
If someone gets a score in the 99th percentile for verbal but 50% in quantitative - does it greatly hurt them?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Oct 23, 2008 7:53:19 PM)
Twin: Kellee will have a better answer than I.

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:53:25 PM)
Twintai, actually the schools are reading the essays. You can be creative, but not overly "cute". Let your personality SHINE!

Sid (Oct 23, 2008 7:54:02 PM)
To all: Is it possible to get into one of the Consortium schools, but not get a fellowship?

KS (Oct 23, 2008 7:54:27 PM)
Are there disadvantages to applying in the later round (Jan 5 deadline)?

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:54:45 PM)
Sid: Yes. The order goes like this: School admission, Consortium admission, fellowship grant.

ChrisG (Oct 23, 2008 7:55:00 PM)
Is there a difference between a Consortium interview with an admissions rep or an alum? If so, what's the difference?

KelleeScottUSC(Oct 23, 2008 7:55:08 PM)
KS, there is no major disadvantage, schools will still have space in class. Apply when your application is at its best.

Angela (Oct 23, 2008 7:55:14 PM)
Thank you Whitney, you understood my question regarding the review order of the essays.

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:56:09 PM)
ChrisG: The only difference in the interview is the types of questions you ask your interviewer.

MBA Hopeful (Oct 23, 2008 7:56:11 PM)
Thanks Erin. I have interest in Wisconsin's real estate program. How is the program doing right now given the state of the industry?

twintai (Oct 23, 2008 7:56:22 PM)
Jackie: Most schools allow applicants an optional essay to explain gaps or "ambiguous" items in their applications. Is there such an option when applying through the Consortium?

Applicant (Oct 23, 2008 7:56:42 PM)
By what percent will Consortium applications increase this year?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Oct 23, 2008 7:56:54 PM)
Yes, Twintai, there is an optional essay to address anything you feel should be addressed.

Shereen (Oct 23, 2008 7:57:00 PM)
Is it better to apply, then take the GMAT when ready, or does the application have to be inclusive of GMAT results?

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:57:17 PM)
Applicant, it 's too early to tell, but we do expect a rise in the total number overall.

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:57:30 PM)
It is tough to know how application numbers will change this year.

ErinNickelsburgWISCONSIN (Oct 23, 2008 7:57:30 PM)
MBA Hopeful - We have actually seen an increase in inquiries in regards to the Real Estate Program. Our alumni network is incredibly strong and because of that we are anticipating that the fallout of the economy will not hit our Real Estate (or any of our Specializations) as hard.

LTejerina2 (Oct 23, 2008 7:57:32 PM)
Rodrigo, I think UT tends to inform early applicants if they have been accepted before the end of year. If the Consortium will not communicate until March of next year, how does that work? In my particular case, knowing of my acceptance to the school as soon as possible is very important.
RodrigoMaltaTEXAS (Oct 23, 2008 7:57:41 PM)
Ltejerina - let me circle back with you on that question. Please give me a call so we can chat.

WhitneyKestnerDARDEN (Oct 23, 2008 7:57:44 PM)
Shereen: You need to submit your GMAT score with your application.

nana (Oct 23, 2008 7:57:53 PM)
Some schools require 2 recommenders, others require 3. How does the Consortium handle this?

RTC (Oct 23, 2008 7:57:56 PM)
Will any schools increase class size because of the increased number of applicants?

ErinNickelsburgWISCONSIN (Oct 23, 2008 7:58:12 PM)
RTC - We will not be increasing our class size more than slightly.

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:58:32 PM)
RTC, this year, class size went down slightly while applications rose dramatically.

KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:58:35 PM)
Nana, just follow the Consortium application directions. Additional letters of recommendation can come into play if a candidate is waitlisted.

TiffanyPryorEMORY (Oct 23, 2008 7:58:37 PM)
Emory is not increasing enrollment.

ShelleyCliffordYALE (Oct 23, 2008 7:58:38 PM)
We are sticking with our class size.

TonyaHarveyROCHESTER (Oct 23, 2008 7:58:42 PM)
RTC - Simon will be increasing enrollment slightly based on our long-range plans (not so much the increase in applications).
KelleeScottUSC (Oct 23, 2008 7:58:51 PM)
RTC, USC will not be increasing class size.
Linda Abraham (Oct 23, 2008 7:58:52 PM)
Thank you again all for participating this evening. Special thanks to all the Consortium representatives here this evening.
We look forward to seeing you at future chats. Here is a list of currently scheduled chats:
Haas                    October 29th
Wharton               November 5th
Kellogg                November 10th
Consortium          November 19th
CMU Tepper        December 4th
If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list. Please check our chat schedule for additional details.
Have a very good evening! Good luck with your applications!

JosuePortilloNYU (Oct 23, 2008 7:58:53 PM)
Good luck!

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Oct 23, 2008 7:59:07 PM)
Thanks for your participation!

MBA09! (Oct 23, 2008 7:59:17 PM)
Thanks! This is great!

KelleeScottUSC(Oct 23, 2008 7:59:18 PM)
Thank you everyone. Good luck on your applications! :-)

Shereen (Oct 23, 2008 7:59:20 PM)
Thank you all for your time and efforts, you have been of great help.

TiffanyPryorEMORY (Oct 23, 2008 7:59:26 PM)
Good luck!

Angela (Oct 23, 2008 7:59:37 PM)
Thank you all for your time!

LinwoodHarrisCMU (Oct 23, 2008 7:59:37 PM)
Thanks Everyone! Have a great evening!

twintai (Oct 23, 2008 7:59:39 PM)
Thank you all.

ShelleyCliffordYALE (Oct 23, 2008 7:59:41 PM)
Bye - thanks and good luck.

RodrigoMaltaTEXAS (Oct 23, 2008 7:59:42 PM)
Thanks all!

Maria (Oct 23, 2008 7:59:47 PM)
Thank you!

TonyaHarveyROCHESTER (Oct 23, 2008 7:59:50 PM)
Have a good night!

Sid (Oct 23, 2008 7:59:52 PM)
Thank you and good luck!

Vanessa (Oct 23, 2008 7:59:56 PM)
Thank you this was helpful!

Leviathan (Oct 23, 2008 8:00:06 PM)
Cheers, thanks for everything!

Applicant (Oct 23, 2008 8:00:12 PM)

LinwoodHarrisCMU (Oct 23, 2008 8:00:46 PM)

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Oct 23, 2008 8:02:02 PM)
Please call our office for questions we did not answer. Speak to Ken, Becky or Janice.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room