2009 MIT Sloan MBA Application Questions Chat with Angel Navedo

2009 MIT Sloan MBA Application Questions Chat with Angel Navedo

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Oct 23, 2008 12:02:01 PM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat.

First I want to welcome all applicants to the MIT Sloan Applications Questions chat today, and I want to congratulate you for taking the time to learn more about Sloan. To make a sound decision and to get accepted you know as much as you can about the schools you are applying to. Being here today allows you to ask the experts about this outstanding business school.
I also want to welcome our special guests Angel Navedo, Assistant Director of MBA Admissions and Barry Reckley, Assistant Director MBA Admissions. Thanks to everyone for joining.
Now it is your chance to ask questions about MIT Sloan’s application and any other questions you have regarding applying to Sloan.

Ahmed (Oct 23, 2008 12:03:13 PM)
Angel: Hello, I have some questions about admissions and financial aid. I am 36 & got my Bachelor degree at 29. Do I have a chance to do my MBA at MIT? What are the requirements to get financial aid? What happens if someone doesn't have enough money to cover tuition and does not have good credit?

Vancouver_Michael (Oct 23, 2008 12:03:23 PM)
Barry: Thank you for your time today. How long after the submission deadline can we typically expect to hear about an interview? Will you let candidates know who you are not considering for an interview? What proportion of applicants do you typically interview?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:03:47 PM)
First, welcome everyone and thank you for joining the chat! I'm excited to answer your questions.

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:04:21 PM)
I would like to add my welcome as well to this group.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:05:01 PM)
Hi Ahmed. Your first question is difficult to answer without reading your application, but your age and year of graduation do not disqualify you from doing your MBA at MIT. We accept a wide range of experience. Everyone is eligible for financial aid. For US students there are great federal and private loans available. For international students, given recent changes in the credit industry, we are doing our best to find a solution for our students and expect to have something by next summer.

AskMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:05:14 PM)
Angel: What is MIT Adcom's view on having a second recommender from an extra-curricular activity?

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:06:12 PM)
Michael: the Cambridge interviews will start on the 8th of December. There are also interviews at different locations.

gimpy (Oct 23, 2008 12:06:25 PM)
Angel: Hi, does applying to the LFM program limit your chances of being accepted into the Sloan General MBA program? If not, would it be beneficial to submit my application by the round 1 deadline?

Jessie (Oct 23, 2008 12:06:42 PM)
Barry: Hi, My question is whether you are expecting more applicants this year than usual due to the economic downturn causing people to go back to school since the job market is bad?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:06:57 PM)
Hello AskMIT: Recommendations come from a broad range of people, and those from extracurricular activities are certainly acceptable, especially when you are heavily involved in those activities.

MK (Oct 23, 2008 12:07:19 PM)
Hi Angel, I had a couple of questions regarding the application and the application process: If there aren't any interview locations in India, does that mean that to interview we (Indians) would have to travel abroad? Also, I studied Calculus in high school - could I list those scores on the application? I have also studied calculus in college where we had Mathematics courses in each of the first four semesters.

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:07:33 PM)
Jessie, there is a possibility of an increase in application.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:07:33 PM)
These questions are coming fast and furious, I love it.

gopinath (Oct 23, 2008 12:07:38 PM)
Barry: is work experience required for MIT Sloan?

Linda Abraham (Oct 23, 2008 12:07:58 PM)
And you can't see the queue. It's loooong!

george123 (Oct 23, 2008 12:08:09 PM)
Hello Angel, I would like to apply to both the Full-Time MBA and LFM. Can I do it with one online application? I.e. by 10/28, I submit a consolidated application for both. Or should I file separate applications for both, including official GMAT scores?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:08:24 PM)
Hola Gimpy. If LFM is the right program for you, you should apply. If you are not accepted, you will be considered in our second round just like all other second round applicants. It does not limit your chances.

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:08:34 PM)
Gopinath: We have admitted student right out of college.

steve mcsteve (Oct 23, 2008 12:08:44 PM)
Angel: does MIT waive the application fee for military applicants?

Blanche Barco (Oct 23, 2008 12:08:55 PM)
Barry: At Diversity Day I learnt that Finance is a new track at Sloan. Is Sloan planning on adding a Marketing Track to their curriculum any time soon?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:09:50 PM)
Good day MK. Last year we did conduct interviews in India, so we may be there again this year. Regarding your calculus, you can write "High school" or include the grades from the lowest level calculus class.

ken_state (Oct 23, 2008 12:09:58 PM)
Angel: How many students are accepted into the HKS dual degree program? If I apply to the dual degree and HKS does not accept me for some reason, do I still qualify for the MIT MBA?

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:11:07 PM)
Blanche: Nothing in the near future, although we do have areas of interest and marketing is one of them.

Vani Punam (Oct 23, 2008 12:11:20 PM)
Barry: Hi, Thanks for holding this session. Could you please provide some details on the purpose of the Essay 3 question - "Please tell us about a time when you executed a plan"?

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:11:42 PM)
Steve: It's yes to your question regarding military/vets.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:12:22 PM)
Hello George123. To apply to LFM, you must apply by the LFM deadline. You will be considered in our second round. Do not submit an application to the first round if you want to be considered for LFM.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:12:58 PM)
Thanks Barry for answering the application fee question.

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:13:18 PM)
Vani; we are looking for your thinking process, the way you think about a problem and come up with a solution.

DAV (Oct 23, 2008 12:13:28 PM)
Barry: How stringently do you hold to the criteria that experiences discussed in essays need to fit within the last three years (for example, a 4-year project that only has its last year fit within the 3-year window)?

Sean Mahoney (Oct 23, 2008 12:13:39 PM)
Hi, Angel. We met at an information session MIT had last month. Thank you for that. I was hoping to get some more information about the guaranteed loan Citi gives all students. How much is the loan for (tuition only/ board/food/mortgage etc.)?  Also, do these loans get used for the trips MIT alumni have told us they took during the program?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:14:10 PM)
Hello Ken_state. There is no set number of people for the MIT Sloan/HKS dual degree program. The number varies year to year. You will apply to both programs separately and then need to be considered for the dual degree option by MIT. Your application to HKS has no impact on our evaluation.

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:15:27 PM)
Dav: we're flexible, your situation sound reasonable within the time limits.

J. Allen Morris (Oct 23, 2008 12:15:40 PM)
Barry: Can you provide a brief explanation of what weight the actual GMAT score has in relation to the rest of the application packet? A good score is certainly necessary, but once an applicant has a score similar to scores within the published information, does the score matter all that much?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:16:03 PM)
Hello Sean. I hope the presentation was helpful. Regarding the Citibank loan, we will no longer be offering that loan next year. As I wrote earlier, US students have plenty of excellent options and we are working hard to find suitable options for our international students.

anonymous (Oct 23, 2008 12:16:37 PM)
Angel: I know work experience is highly valued. I am currently in my final year at law school and plan to apply to Sloan. How is the experience gained in law school compared to work experience as far as admission is concerned?

Linda Abraham (Oct 23, 2008 12:17:20 PM)
Angel, is MIT Sloan able to expand its number of grants for students having trouble obtaining loans?

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:18:00 PM)
J. Allen: The scores are important, however there are other areas that we focus on throughout the application. The numbers are just 1 portion of the data we used to review the application.

meimei (Oct 23, 2008 12:18:02 PM)
Barry: Good afternoon. In light of the current market turmoil, do you expect a substantial increase in the number of applications? Does that mean competition would be more intense this year in your opinion?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:18:04 PM)
Hello "anonymous". We will not compare academic work and work experience. What we will do is use whatever experience you have had (academic, work experience, extracurricular, etc.) to seek out evidence of the qualities that we want in our students. You can demonstrate those qualities in a wide variety of contexts.

Dipak (Oct 23, 2008 12:18:30 PM)
Angel: Since applications to business schools seem to have risen significantly, is there a minimum GMAT score that would be considered a baseline for having the application considered at Sloan?

Linda Abraham (Oct 23, 2008 12:18:54 PM)
Angel, what are those valuable qualities?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:19:18 PM)
Hi Linda! This past year we doubled the number of fellowships available to incoming students, so there will definitely be more money available in terms of fellowships than in the past.

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:19:42 PM)
Meimei: As I mentioned earlier, there is a 'possibility' of an increase of applications, how much & how many, at this time we don't know.

Linda Abraham (Oct 23, 2008 12:19:48 PM)
Angel, that's great!  It will make a big difference under these circumstances.

Fishbed (Oct 23, 2008 12:20:02 PM)
Barry: Hi, I would like to know if MIT prefers work experience related to engineering? Is business consulting/marketing experience a drawback?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:20:20 PM)
Hi Dipak. There is no minimum GMAT score. I do not have final stats for this year memorized, but I believe the middle 80% of our incoming class starts at 650. Thus math dictates that only 10% of our pool have GMATs below 650. But again, there is no minimum score required.

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:20:56 PM)
Fishbed: All experiences are welcomed.

DG (Oct 23, 2008 12:21:45 PM)
Angel: Cover letter: Should it only be one page long? Should we include Mr. Rod Garcia's address at MIT along with his name and title?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:22:04 PM)
Linda, generally speaking we are looking for leaders who are collaborative, innovators, purposeful, accomplished and have excellent communication skills.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:22:48 PM)
I hope that's not too general :).

Jessie (Oct 23, 2008 12:22:53 PM)
Barry: Hi, do you have any suggestions on how to practice for our interviews? I often struggle in these and would appreciate any advice (books, role-play, etc.).

Linda Abraham (Oct 23, 2008 12:23:00 PM)
Angel - Succinct and specific.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:24:09 PM)
Good day DG. I need to check the instructions on the cover letter. Be right back.

Linda Abraham (Oct 23, 2008 12:24:37 PM)
Here's another one on the cover letter.

Genisha S. (Oct 23, 2008 12:24:44 PM)
Hello Angel, had the pleasure of meeting you at Sloan on the Road in DC. Currently finishing up my Round 1 application and just wondering what the Adcom would like to see from the Cover Letter that might differ from a standard essay on qualifications, accomplishments, etc. Thanks in advance!

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:24:59 PM)
Hello again DG. There is no page limit, and yes, it should have a header like any business cover letter, addressed to our fearless leader, Rod Garcia.

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:25:39 PM)
Jessie: The question that we ask in our interviews are specific to your particular application and circumstance, so beyond the normal things; like eye contact, etc., there isn't really much you can prepare for.

HJ (Oct 23, 2008 12:25:43 PM)
Hi Barry, is there an opportunity in MIT to do projects for new environmental product development, branding, or market launch? Are Sloan students interested in this?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:26:26 PM)
Hello Genisha. I remember. I think you work in marketing? Thanks for joining us. To answer your question: Our cover letter changed this year. In the past, it was a standard cover letter where applicants would give us their reasons for applying, some background, etc... We expect to see some of the same. The letter is to seek a place in our program, so you should address why this is an important step for you. This year we also ask you to describe accomplishments and give an example of an impact you have had on a group or organization. We wanted to give you a chance to give us more specific examples of your accomplishments that will help us with our evaluation. The end.

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:26:53 PM)
HJ: Yes and the 100K competition is the prefect platform to accomplish that.

ankur seth (Oct 23, 2008 12:27:00 PM)
Barry: If entrepreneurship is my goal, is MIT the right school for me? I run a small business and am explicitly looking for access to venture fund and help in business development from my target B School.

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:28:57 PM)
Ankur: The 100K competition will help you in that quest. 5,000 companies have been founded by MIT alums. 650 companies founded by MIT Sloan alums.

vishal (Oct 23, 2008 12:29:01 PM)
Barry - Does one need to choose a particular curriculum such as E&I, G-Lab, SIP, S-Lab and if so, at what point in the program/application process?

durjan (Oct 23, 2008 12:29:06 PM)
Angel: I have co-founded an organization. In this scenario, does a recommendation from my co-founder carry any weight or is it better to look for people whom I have reported to in the past?

Vani Punam (Oct 23, 2008 12:30:18 PM)
Thanks for answering the essay question, Barry.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:30:46 PM)
Hello Aocaso. For college seniors, letters from supervisors during internships, academic letters (professors or others within the community), or letters from organizations in which you have been involved are appropriate.

MK (Oct 23, 2008 12:31:02 PM)
Angel, I'm not sure I understood that, does that mean I should specify if the score I'm entering is from high school? Also, we did not have a separate class on calculus, it was always as a part of the mathematics course, so the score I put there is really more of a math grade. Is that okay? Thanks for clarifying.

Ankit (Oct 23, 2008 12:31:14 PM)
Hi Barry, how stringent is the word limit for the essays. Is 500 words +/ 5 % acceptable?

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:31:22 PM)
Vishal: No, you can maintain a general course structure throughout your stay at Sloan. If you choose to move into a specific area you can start investigating as early as your second semester.

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:31:49 PM)
Ankit: Yes.

ls1234 (Oct 23, 2008 12:32:05 PM)
Barry: Is there a date by which you expect the majority of interview invitations to be extended?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:32:41 PM)
MK, my answer was poor. If you did not take calculus in college but received credit for it in high school, then you should enter "high school credit" and not a grade. If you took it in college, enter the grade. We are only interested in Calculus I, the basic level college course.

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:33:22 PM)
Is1234: As I stated, the interviews will begin on the 8th of December, so notice should be a week or two from that date.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:33:23 PM)
PS Calculus is not part of our evaluation, but is a requirement for enrollment. Thus we may ask some students to do self study or take a class prior to enrollment.

Claire (Oct 23, 2008 12:33:42 PM)
Barry: What is your preferred breakdown of the material applicants include in their essays? In other words, do you prefer applicants write all their essays about work, all about extracurriculars, or half and half?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:33:50 PM)
Durjan, choosing recommendations is a personal choice and there is rarely a correct answer that covers everyone. You want to choose someone who knows you well and can answer the questions posed on our recommendation form. For those who have founded their own companies, I have seen recommendations from co-founders, others within the organization, board members, financing partners, lawyers, clients, etc.

Linda Abraham (Oct 23, 2008 12:34:57 PM)
What about family members?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:35:23 PM)
We prefer to not have recommendations from family members. They tend to be....biased.

Linda Abraham (Oct 23, 2008 12:35:40 PM)
...and lack credibility.

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:35:45 PM)
Claire: It's about what gives the admissions team a clear picture of you. How you tell that story (how you present yourself). So it's up to you.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:35:58 PM)
My mom thinks I'm the best person in the world.

Linda Abraham (Oct 23, 2008 12:36:12 PM)
I bet your grandmother thinks you're even better.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:36:23 PM)
:)

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:37:22 PM)
Interviews are conducted on an invitation basis only. We will evaluate your application and then selectively invite some candidates for interviews. At MIT, only members of our admissions committee conduct interviews. Thus Barry, myself, and about 8 of our colleagues conduct all interviews on campus and in major cities around the world. The interviewer will have read your application and will be seeking new information to aid our evaluation. Finally, our interviews are Behavioral Event Interviews. We will pose questions very similar to the essays. "Tell me about a time when you..."

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:37:36 PM)
Pepetell: When you feel that you have put the best possible application together, then submit it. That's the real importance.

durjan (Oct 23, 2008 12:37:50 PM)
Barry: Which does MIT value more, undergrad GPA or GMAT score? Can a good GMAT score successfully counter the negative effects of a low GPA?

Deep Bodapati (Oct 23, 2008 12:38:43 PM)
Hi Angel - quick question I forgot to ask at the MIT's Info session - MIT offers "Teaching and Research Assistantships" to nearly 150 students. Do MBA students typically take part in these or are they just PhD candidates? What about first-years Sloanies? Would you suggest that students wait until the second year, given the first year crunch?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:39:51 PM)
Hello Deep. Nice to "see" you again. Monday's event was fun. MIT is unique in that most of our TA and RA (teaching and research assistantships) positions are for MBA candidates.

ag (Oct 23, 2008 12:40:46 PM)
Thanks for the list of qualities, Angel. That definitely helps.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:40:48 PM)
First-year students can have TA and RA positions in the second semester, but most of the positions are for second year, as you had to have taken the course to be a TA.

Brian L. (Oct 23, 2008 12:41:01 PM)
Angel: How far back do you review past applicants? And are we allowed to bring some notes to the interview to remind us of some examples?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:41:01 PM)
My pleasure AG.

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:41:27 PM)
Durjan: A better application (essay, recommendations, cover letter) is important, you need to balance your application. Review your weak areas and then make case a compelling case for admissions.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:42:13 PM)
Hello Brian. We keep applications only for one year, but if you reapply two years in a row, we will have access to both of your previous applications. However, our evaluation will focus on your new application.

Wole (Oct 23, 2008 12:42:19 PM)
Hi Barry: One thing I love about the MIT program is its analytic rigor. Would coming from a medical background affect my chances of getting in for the MBA, considering (in my own opinion) that the school is a magnet for people with engineering degrees?

dmitry (Oct 23, 2008 12:42:26 PM)
Angel, what percentage of your incoming class is admitted in the first application round versus the second round?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:42:39 PM)
Brian, for part two of your question, absolutely, you may bring notes to the interview. But please, no teleprompters.

Linda Abraham (Oct 23, 2008 12:43:15 PM)
:-D

MK (Oct 23, 2008 12:43:23 PM)
Angel: How do you evaluate early career applicants? Do you compare them with older, more experienced candidates?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:44:03 PM)
Hello Dmitry. You have stumped me. I don't know if we even release those figures. Our goal is to admit half our students in the first round and half from the second round. Historically, more people apply second round, but the amount varies year to year.

1134 (Oct 23, 2008 12:44:26 PM)
Angel: Can you talk about the collaboration between Sloan and the MIT Center for Real Estate? Thanks.

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:44:38 PM)
Wole: The diversity of the class is an important factor as we develop the incoming class. The one thing that you will need to demonstrate is why the need for an additional degree.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:44:47 PM)
Hello MK. We accept candidates with a wide range of experience. We are looking for excellence, and excellence can be demonstrated within a wide range of experience and in a wide range of contexts.

VS (Oct 23, 2008 12:46:10 PM)
Barry: Regarding the cover letter, how specific should the example of the impact be? Also, are the header and your name at the end included in the word count?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:46:37 PM)
MK, for someone with an early career, because you have less experience than some other candidates, we will compare you to others with similar experience. The same goes for those with higher than average experience. We'll expect a bit more accomplishment.

Strategery (Oct 23, 2008 12:46:45 PM)
Angel: What's the best part of Sloan from your perspective?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:47:53 PM)
Hello 1134. MIT Sloan and the Center for Real Estate offer a bunch of courses jointly. There are many classes which fulfill requirements for both programs, which means you will have the chance to study with candidates from CRE. There are plenty of opportunities to take lots of courses at CRE, and one recent alum I know, who works for a real estate company, was able to take a good number of courses in real estate.

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:48:37 PM)
VS: Regarding the cover letter, list what you feel best describes your intention to receive an MBA from Sloan. And no, the header and name is not counted.

Vuk (Oct 23, 2008 12:48:43 PM)
Barry: Regarding the electronic delivery of scanned official academic documents, could you please explain how documents should be scanned and uploaded for foreign students whose original documents are not in English? Should I include the original document followed by a copy of the document’s official English translation, or should I include only the translated documents?

Ankit (Oct 23, 2008 12:48:57 PM)
Angel: Does the Admission committee visit India for interviews? Since no Indian cities are mentioned on the application form, how should I go about selecting one?

durjan (Oct 23, 2008 12:49:29 PM)
Thanks Angel for the answer. That really solves my dilemma to a large extent.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:50:08 PM)
Hello Strategery. The best part about MIT Sloan is the admissions office.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:50:17 PM)
That's a joke.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:50:58 PM)
Most people here would say "the people". We have a unique community of doers...smart, energized, passionate people who are down to earth and focused on solving problems. I have been here for 15 years and I am very proud to be a member of this community.

fee (Oct 23, 2008 12:52:16 PM)
Angel: For the question "What is the most significant challenge?", does it have to be only one challenge, or I can list a few?

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:52:40 PM)
Vulk: Both if you can.

bn (Oct 23, 2008 12:52:43 PM)
Barry: For an applicant who had 8+ yrs working experiences but  had to leave work due to a difficult pregnancy and childbirth for 1.5 years, how would you evaluate the interruption?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:53:04 PM)
Hello Ankit. Where we interview varies year to year. Last year we did interview in India. We have not finalized our interview schedule this year, but India may be on the list. You do not need to indicate on the application; when invited, we will send you a number of location options.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:53:53 PM)
Hello Fee, I don't think that's our essay question.

dadadream (Oct 23, 2008 12:54:42 PM)
Hi Angel, you were just saying that interviews are only conducted by the admission committee - if I was admitted and am currently in BJ, will I also be interviewed by one of you guys? Or will I be invited to US to do the interview?

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:55:39 PM)
BN: Good questions, that's an area that should be discussed on an individual level and I would be glad to talk with you about that.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:55:53 PM)
Hello B. We never just look at a number; we will look at all the courses which you have taken and the will certainly notice an upward trend when your grades improved over time.

shoreline (Oct 23, 2008 12:56:03 PM)
Angel: Is MIT really as "techie" and "geeky" as most people make it seem to be?

Linda Abraham (Oct 23, 2008 12:56:28 PM)
Barry, is there an email address you can provide BN?

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:56:41 PM)
breckley@mit.edu

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:57:03 PM)
Hello Dadadream. I don't know where BJ is, but we conduct interviews in a number of cities around the world. If you look at Barry's or my passport, they have stamps from everywhere.

Dave2008 (Oct 23, 2008 12:57:28 PM)
BJ = Beijing.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:57:34 PM)
Ah, thank you! Last year we had interviews in Beijing and expect to return again this year.

Xiong-Toronto (Oct 23, 2008 12:57:51 PM)
Angel, thanks a lot for your kind suggestions about interviews. I may attend the MBA BREAKFAST Information Sessions on Nov.14th.

Lakshmi (Oct 23, 2008 12:57:52 PM)
Hi Angel, Could you please comment on the SIPs and other opportunities where students can get real world experience?

Hank (Oct 23, 2008 12:58:08 PM)
Barry: My undergraduate degree is from MIT. Should I report my GPA out of 5 or scale it to a 4 point scale?

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:58:51 PM)
Hank: Us the 5 scale.

Satya (Oct 23, 2008 12:59:07 PM)
Barry: Do you accept students who have already completed one MBA?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 12:59:47 PM)
Hello Shoreline. MIT certainly has some technie and geekiness, but MIT Sloan is far from techie or geeky. We are a school of management and thus teach management concepts, not technology. We accept a diverse class with a wide variety of backgrounds and interests. Take a look at our student blogs to get a sample of our students: http://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/experience/blogs.php.

1134 (Oct 23, 2008 1:00:10 PM)
Angel, does that mean that Sloan looks to admit a portion of applicants who know they will focus on Real Estate and, therefore, the MIT CRE?

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:00:32 PM)
Satya: Good question, normally no, however that's on a case by case basis.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:00:54 PM)
1134, we do not admit candidates based on their intended areas of study. We admit candidates based on their accomplishments and personal qualities.

steve mcsteve (Oct 23, 2008 1:01:37 PM)
Barry: If someone mentions investment banking as their post-Sloan career goal, would you question that person's judgment and understanding of the current business climate?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:01:54 PM)
Xioong. I'll be at that breakfast. Come by and introduce yourself to me.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:02:15 PM)
Lakshmi, where do I begin?! There are a ton of opportunities for our students to get real-world experience. This is a place where it is not enough to talk about best practices or speak theoretically about management issues. We expect our students to execute on their ideas and give them plenty of opportunities to both hear from industry leaders who can speak to what is going on now in the real world of management, and to work with real organizations on a real problem that the organization is facing.

Elan (Oct 23, 2008 1:03:58 PM)
Angel: How do you imagine the current market, specifically unemployment in the financial sector, will affect the applicant pool and further next year's incoming class?

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:05:00 PM)
Steve: No, because within that time period of two year Investment Banking may return, in new form.

rfandetti (Oct 23, 2008 1:05:16 PM)
Angel: Can you tell me about the campus visit, and what to which classes will visitors usually be taken? Thank you.

Pablo (Oct 23, 2008 1:05:52 PM)
Barry: Can you tell us your experience with the Independent activities period? I have heard that you could take subjects on different areas or do an externship? What exactly are the externships?

Deep Bodapati (Oct 23, 2008 1:05:56 PM)
Thanks for the response, Angel. Absolutely - Monday's event was very, very informative! I haven't received the Feedback email yet, but I will be sure to let Sloan know that they should have more such sessions - smaller and not driven solely by PowerPoint - more by the alums and by questions from the audience. I talked to a few others in the audience that day and the energy about applying to Sloan was very evident, more so than a larger info session I attended earlier this year. Thank you for making time for that event - I know that we grilled you that night :).

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:06:17 PM)
Lakshmi, last semester in SIP, our students had a wide range of offerings, like:

"Exploring Climate Change: A Simulation Workshop".

"Legal framework of Subprime Mortgage Crisis"

"Be an Active and Effective Bystander"

We also have a bunch of laboratory courses like Sustainability Lab and Global Entrepreneurship lab.

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:08:40 PM)
Pablo: Externships are working experiences during that short time period (one month, in January).

MBA11 (Oct 23, 2008 1:08:52 PM)
Barry: Can applicants still submit a R1 application if their recommenders are late?

App2009 (Oct 23, 2008 1:09:22 PM)
Angel, talking about "the people", could you comment on your perspective about competitiveness in the classroom?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:09:44 PM)
For more details on G-lab and S-lab, visit http://g-lab.mit.edu/ and http://sustainability.mit.edu/ .

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:10:22 PM)
MBA11: Regarding the letters of recomendations, within a reasonable period of time is ok- though you should also let us know the situation in advance.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:10:39 PM)
Hi App2009. Absolutely, and I think this is a great strength of our program. Our community is relatively small, and this lends itself to a tight-knit, collaborative culture. I encourage you to visit the school where you will have a chance to see it in action. I have been told by prospective candidates that they really noticed how supportive our community is, especially when compared to other MBA Programs. Here, when a student stands up in class, they are not trying to outwit the previous speaker but instead, attempt to build on the previous point.

Midwest (Oct 23, 2008 1:11:26 PM)
Barry: Can you talk a little bit about the first semester core and then pursuing concentrations like corporate strategy and operations? How many courses do you need in each concentration to 'major' in it?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:12:32 PM)
Come visit; it is the best way to get a sense of that collaborative culture.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:13:14 PM)
Rfandetti, We have a visitors program called the Ambassadors Program which runs Monday through Thursday twice a day. The visit includes an information session, lunch with students, and a class visit. The range of classes varies based on availability. Because we are relatively small, there are space constraint issues for some classes. Most of the classes will be core classes, but again, it varies. For more information, visit http://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/admissions/ambassadors.php.

Strategery (Oct 23, 2008 1:14:33 PM)
Angel: Is there a good spouse program at MIT/Sloan?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:15:12 PM)
Hello again Strategery. There is an excellent Significant Others club here at MIT Sloan. A couple of weeks ago, the wife of a recent graduate attended our "MIT Sloan on the Road" event and told me that she was able to experience almost everything her husband experienced except the classes. Ours is a very inclusive community, and SO's are valuable members of that community.

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:16:50 PM)
Midwest: Accounting; Microeconomics, DMD (stats), Communications, Finance Theory, Organizational process, leadership. You can begin to focus on your interest as soon as the second semester.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:16:52 PM)
Here is the link to the SO Club website: http://web.mit.edu/sos/.

tamar (Oct 23, 2008 1:18:27 PM)
Angel: How would you characterize MIT as unique from other business schools - what differentiates MIT and the students it accepts?

Vuk (Oct 23, 2008 1:18:32 PM)
Barry, I am currently a part-time graduate student, working toward my master’s degree. Should I upload a current academic transcript of results in this master’s program?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:19:15 PM)
Hello Tamar. All of the top schools offer excellent programs obviously. MIT is unique in a number of ways. First, it is a very flexible program. You can really define your experience here, both academically and outside the classroom. Academically, we have a one-semester core. This means you get to choose 75% of your courses. Outside the classroom, our students are heavily involved in a number of student initiatives. All schools can say this, but at MIT you are really challenged to make something happen. Organizing conferences, organizing international trips, bringing speakers on campus...the sky is the limit. We have those lab courses mentioned earlier. No other school offers that quality and quantity of experiential courses. Finally, we have more students receiving academic credit internationally than any other business school. Those are a few of our unique qualities.

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:19:50 PM)
Vuk: Yes you should.

Victoria (Oct 23, 2008 1:20:01 PM)
Hi Barry: I would like to know if you have a limit on how many international students gets in every year.

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:21:09 PM)
Victoria: There is no limit, we average around 30 to 35% of international students each year.

Lakshmi (Oct 23, 2008 1:23:27 PM)
Thanks Angel. Is there a way we can get in touch with you through email?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:23:35 PM)
anavedo@mit.edu .

App2009 (Oct 23, 2008 1:23:41 PM)
Angel, could you comment further on the Sustainability lab and the Global entrepreneurship lab please?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:24:03 PM)
App2009, I encourage you to go to those websites I posted earlier. But I'll give a one-sentence description: Sustainability Lab gives our students a chance to work with companies on sustainability issues (like energy, worker rights, community impact, etc.). Global Entrepreneurship Lab gives our students a chance first to learn about entrepreneurship outside the US and then to work on a team of 4 with a start-up in their country. So in January, teams of MIT students travel to over 20 countries and work with startups for 3-4 weeks. They work on real issues.

Lakshmi (Oct 23, 2008 1:24:27 PM)
Barry: Has the economic crisis affected career placement this year? How is Sloan helping students to market themselves in this tough market?

Blanche Barco (Oct 23, 2008 1:26:49 PM)
Hi Angel, We met at Sloan on the Road at MIT as well as UPenn event. Nice to see you here again! Can you please comment on the percentage of women in the last class admitted, and if you see that number growing for Class of 2011 ?

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:27:02 PM)
Lakshmi: We have a very strong Career Development Office, which will partner with you as you develop your career options. Our students have done well even in this bad economic market.

Linda Abraham (Oct 23, 2008 1:27:08 PM)
For Barry and Angel: MIT’s R1 deadline is around the corner (Oct. 28). Any advice for Sloan applicants planning to apply for your R1 deadline?

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:27:26 PM)
Hello again Blanche. I believe our % of women was 36% for the class of 2010 which is our highest ever and very competitive when compared to our peers schools.

Avi (Oct 23, 2008 1:28:11 PM)
Thanks all! We are getting loads of information - joining this chat is better than simply visiting the website!

tamar (Oct 23, 2008 1:28:21 PM)
Thanks Angel, that's incredibly helpful. Would you include an entrepreneurial spirit in that description of what makes MIT unique?

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:29:40 PM)
LA: Review your application, make sure that the application represents your goals and desire to attend the Sloan School. If possible have someone review it with you. Make sure you answer the question that we ask.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:29:44 PM)
The number for any specific demographic will vary year to year and will be based on the quality of the applicant pool. We certainly hope to keep that number high or higher, but again it will be based on the quality of the pool.

Blanche Barco (Oct 23, 2008 1:29:58 PM)
Wow! Incredible!! GO Sloan!!!

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:30:22 PM)
Tamar, the entrepreneurial spirit certainly is part of what makes MIT Sloan special.

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:30:33 PM)
That's a better way of saying what I was trying to say, thanks!

Linda Abraham (Oct 23, 2008 1:30:43 PM)
Thank you again all for participating. Special thanks to Angel and Barry for joining us today. You will be able to access the chat transcript from the MIT Sloan MBA Zone on Accepted.com.

We look forward to seeing you at future chats. On deck:

Haas                    October 29th
Wharton               November 5th
Kellogg                November 10th
Consortium          November 19th
CMU Tepper        December 4th

If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list. Please check our chat schedule for additional details.

Have a very good day! Good luck with your applications!

AngelNavedoMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:30:59 PM)
Thanks everyone, and best of luck with your applications!

BarryReckleyMIT (Oct 23, 2008 1:31:14 PM)
Hey everyone thanks for having us!

Victoria (Oct 23, 2008 1:31:48 PM)
Thanks to all of you!

jamieho (Oct 23, 2008 1:32:24 PM)
Barry you rock!!

Wole (Oct 23, 2008 1:32:29 PM)
Thanks Barry!

App2009 (Oct 23, 2008 1:32:42 PM)
Thank for the info Angel, Barry!

Brian L. (Oct 23, 2008 1:33:01 PM)
Good night everybody! Thank you Angel, Barry and Linda, for your time! And Angel, remember that teleprompter comment when you start reviewing essays - you might have a laugh when you get to one of my essays!

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room