2010 Consortium MBA Application Strategies Chat with Rebecca Dockery

2010 Consortium MBA Application Strategies Chat with Rebecca Dockery

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Oct 20, 2009 7:00:08 PM)
First I want to welcome all applicants to the Consortium chat today. You need to know as much as you can to make a sound application decision and gain acceptance to the school of your choice. Being here today allows you to ask the Consortium experts and School representatives about this outstanding program and how it relates to their business schools.

I also want to welcome our special guests for this evening.

• Rebecca Dockery  Recruiting Manager -Consortium
  • Linwood Harris     Associate Director, Masters Programs -Carnegie Mellon U
  • Wendy Huber        Associate Director of Admissions -U of Virginia
  • Shana Basnight    Assistant Director of Admissions -Emory Goizueta
  • Stephanie Singer Assistant Director -NYU Stern
  • Erin Nicklesburg   Director of Admissions and Recruitment -Wisconsin
  • Chris Grey            Associate Director of Admissions & Student Services -Yale SOM
  • Kevin Kiley          Senior Associate Director of MBA Admissions -Washington U
  • Jacquelynn Day   Assistant Director of Admissions -U of Rochester
  • Brad Rosenwinkel Associate Director of Admissions  -Indiana Kelley
  • Laurie Shunney   Assistant Director of Admissions and Financial Aid -Cornell Johnson
  • Sheryl Schreiber Senior Associate Director MBA Admissions -USC Marshall

Thanks to everyone for joining.

Linda Abraham (Oct 20, 2009 7:03:07 PM)
Rebecca, given the current market situation, are more applicants applying through the Consortium?

TimC616 (Oct 20, 2009 7:04:01 PM)
Brad: I am currently filling out the Consortium application online and am applying to the IU Kelley school of business for Fall 2010. What process will I need to go through to pay the application fee? If I apply to multiple schools through the Consortium application, is it a similar process?

RebeccaDockeryCONSORTIUM (Oct 20, 2009 7:04:24 PM)
Linda- we have seen an increase in applications, but we have also added member schools. Unfortunately, we don't have data to determine whether the increase is related to the economy or to the increased availability of member schools.

KJF (Oct 20, 2009 7:04:35 PM)
Good evening Rebecca, I have a two-part question regarding Core Essay #2: Part One – My background is in engineering. Throughout my collegiate career, I sought to increase the number of minorities in STEM fields through several programs for young students, including math and science tutorials as well as general leadership development. Although the focus was on engineering, I believe that those many activities helped the students to consider professional careers in general. Is this experience still viewed favorably when evaluating an applicant’s commitment to the Consortium’s mission?

BradRosenwinkelINDIANA (Oct 20, 2009 7:05:07 PM)
Hi TimC616: Your application fee will be paid through the Consortium depending on the number of schools to which you apply. The fee structure is outlined in the Consortium application.

Linda Abraham (Oct 20, 2009 7:05:14 PM)
To all the school reps, does the applicant ranking influence the evaluation of the application?

goyanks (Oct 20, 2009 7:05:34 PM)
Do member schools "read into" who I choose to do my Consortium interview with? For example, if I interview with school A's adcom, would school B think I prefer that school?

RTorres (Oct 20, 2009 7:05:50 PM)
What happens with applicants that apply to the Consortium and to the specific MBA programs at schools when they are not accepted into the fellowship? How are their MBA applications handled? Are they still considered by the schools?

Ibasir (Oct 20, 2009 7:06:02 PM)
Applicants that are still early in their careers, or who are looking to switch fields may not have had the opportunity to support the Consortium Mission on a professional level. However, do schools consider commitment to diversity on the undergraduate level? How about commitment to community service?

WendyHuberUVA (Oct 20, 2009 7:06:22 PM)
Linda, applicants should apply as if the schools do not see the ranking. Rankings are only looked at when we are deciding fellowships, they are not used in the admission decision.

Kendra (Oct 20, 2009 7:07:07 PM)
Is it possible to be accepted in to my top three school choices, but only receive the fellowship from my second or third choice?

StephanieSingerNYU (Oct 20, 2009 7:07:26 PM)
Hi Goyanks- it does not matter what school or alumnus you do your Consortium interview with - most schools have there own separate process after the Consortium interview.

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Oct 20, 2009 7:07:59 PM)
RTorres: Each applicant is evaluated independently by each school in terms of both admission and Fellowship decision. An offer of admission does not indicate a guaranteed Fellowship offer, as they are separate. The admission offer will stand regardless of the Fellowship offer. If a Fellowship offer is not given, the applicant will go into the general merit-based aid pool.

RebeccaDockeryCONSORTIUM (Oct 20, 2009 7:08:44 PM)
KJF- The Consortium does not evaluate applications; this is done by the member schools included in your application, so I can't give you a definite yes or no. However, mission support comes in many shapes and sizes.

Derick Kubi (Oct 20, 2009 7:08:48 PM)
Rebecca, if one applies to the Consortium and does not get in, do they have to wait 2 years before re-applying. For example, if I apply for 2010 and don't get in, do I have to wait until 2012 to re-apply?

Linda Abraham (Oct 20, 2009 7:08:52 PM)
What should applicants be doing now to prepare themselves to apply through the Consortium this year?

BradRosenwinkelINDIANA (Oct 20, 2009 7:09:07 PM)
Hi Kendra --admissions decisions are made regardless of your school rankings. However, students are only eligible to receive a Consortium fellowship from one school. The school you list first has the first opportunity to offer a fellowship, so this should be your top choice. If your first choice school does not offer a Consortium fellowship, then your second ranked school will have the opportunity and so forth.

JacquelynnDayROCHESTER (Oct 20, 2009 7:09:08 PM)
Linda: While we do consider an individual's rankings, we look at the application as a whole, therefore we encourage students to focus on submitting an overall competitive application

RebeccaDockeryCONSORTIUM (Oct 20, 2009 7:09:22 PM)
Derick- there is no need to wait. You may apply again the following year if you feel you are ready.

KevinKileyWASHINGTON (Oct 20, 2009 7:09:22 PM)
Ibasir: Schools do take a comprehensive approach when it comes to evaluating your application, and that includes your undergraduate experiences. If you haven't had a chance to amass a lot of opportunities to support diversity as a working professional, you should definitely highlight any such experience that you had as an undergrad. That could come in the form of extracurricular activities, community service, or perhaps even something else.

KimS10 (Oct 20, 2009 7:10:01 PM)
Hello - how should students who didn't perform as well in undergrad, but performed exceptionally during graduate school, address that in the application?

SherylSchreiberUSC (Oct 20, 2009 7:10:03 PM)
Linda, at this point, applicants can spend their time doing research about the school they are applying to. They can do school tours/visits, attend Diversity Days, and meet with alumni, etc. They should also be spending time putting together the best application that they can.

Linda Abraham (Oct 20, 2009 7:10:20 PM)
May Consortium applicants submit the school's application as opposed to, or in addition to the Consortium application, if applying to schools other than UNC?

BradRosenwinkelINDIANA (Oct 20, 2009 7:11:01 PM)
Linda--Consortium applicants at Kelley need to only submit the Consortium application.

Isaac Kinsey (Oct 20, 2009 7:11:01 PM)
How is applying to the Consortium different from applying directly to the school?

Kendra (Oct 20, 2009 7:11:15 PM)
What is the average time it takes to put together a solid application?

SherylSchreiberUSC (Oct 20, 2009 7:11:16 PM)
Linda, this probably varies from school to school. For USC, if someone is completing a Consortium application, they do not complete the USC application too.

KevinKileyWASHINGTON (Oct 20, 2009 7:11:31 PM)
Here at Washington University there's no need to submit the school's regular application in addition to the CGSM one.

WendyHuberUVA (Oct 20, 2009 7:12:09 PM)
Linda, my recommendation would be to only do the Consortium application, unless the school requests it. As member schools, we are trying to save time and money. We all approve of the Consortium common application--so take advantage of it.

SherylSchreiberUSC (Oct 20, 2009 7:12:16 PM)
Kendra, the application process takes different amounts of time for different people to complete. Remember, there are many parts to completing the application including letters of recommendation, GMAT scores, and interviews, etc.

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Oct 20, 2009 7:12:20 PM)
Linda, the Wisconsin School of Business at the University of Wisconsin Madison will only accept Consortium applications for those looking to take part in the Consortium and qualify for a Fellowship, through the Consortium's website. However, we will welcome them in addition to the Consortium application. Provide as much information as you think is needed in order to provide a full picture of you.

Isaac Kinsey (Oct 20, 2009 7:12:25 PM)
What programs and policies does the Consortium have in place to ensure that its participants are actively pursuing the Consortium's mission?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Oct 20, 2009 7:12:25 PM)
KimS10- when reviewing applications, we consider all transcripts (both undergraduate and grad). We look for trends, the types of courses taken and the rigor of those courses. In some cases, the graduate level coursework can balance coursework at the undergraduate level.

AmyPR (Oct 20, 2009 7:12:34 PM)
What is the difference between the November application date and the January application date? Do chances of acceptance increase one date vs. the other?

teema (Oct 20, 2009 7:12:41 PM)
How favorable is USC towards younger applicants (2 years experience by MBA start date)?

RebeccaDockeryCONSORTIUM (Oct 20, 2009 7:13:06 PM)
Isaac- the Consortium application is a common application, so most of your materials are very general rather than geared toward a specific school. However, you have the opportunity to personalize the application to a school using the school specific essay.

DanInPR (Oct 20, 2009 7:13:15 PM)
Should the interview for the Consortium application be in person, or can it be done over the phone?

SherylSchreiberUSC (Oct 20, 2009 7:13:43 PM)
Teema, while our average student has 5 years work experience, USC prefers that our applicants have a minimum of 2 years work experience at the time of matriculation.

WendyHuberUVA (Oct 20, 2009 7:14:24 PM)
Danim, we prefer the interview be done face-to-face. I know there have been some extenuating circumstances when a phone interview was done. These are truly exceptions and not the rule.

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Oct 20, 2009 7:15:21 PM)
AmyPR- Competitiveness for admission and scholarship may increase in later rounds. In general, we recommend submitting the strongest application possible. If you are prepared to apply during the November round, it may help.

mimi (Oct 20, 2009 7:15:27 PM)
Rebecca, if I studied abroad for two semesters and my grades from the school are listed on my transcript from my home university, do I still need to 1- list the school in the application and 2- upload a transcript from the abroad university?

RebeccaDockeryCONSORTIUM (Oct 20, 2009 7:15:31 PM)
Isaac- Within the application, all applicants must submit an essay and a recommendation demonstrating commitment to the Consortium's mission.

Kendra (Oct 20, 2009 7:15:46 PM)
How do the other institutions view a student applying for graduate school directly out of undergrad?

Latrice (Oct 20, 2009 7:16:09 PM)
Can you please provide some statistics on the most successful Consortium applicants?

DanInPR (Oct 20, 2009 7:16:30 PM)
What materials, if any, does an applicant need to provide to their interviewer? Resume, transcripts?

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Oct 20, 2009 7:16:50 PM)
Isaac: We have the same expectations for Consortium applicants that we do for all non-Consortium applicants.

WendyHuberUVA (Oct 20, 2009 7:16:57 PM)
Latrice, since you are applying to different schools, there is not one profile. You should look at each of the schools to which you are applying and check out their profiles.

RebeccaDockeryCONSORTIUM (Oct 20, 2009 7:17:11 PM)
Mimi- Yes, list the school. The transcript upload is a convenience, but not required. You are required to submit an official transcript from your school.

teema (Oct 20, 2009 7:17:14 PM)
How will a candidate with low GMAT and GPA scores (3.2 and 570) be viewed? Scores are low due to average quantitative abilities but communication skills, ambition, drive, entrepreneurial abilities, leadership and business acumen are solid.

MSA (Oct 20, 2009 7:17:19 PM)
Is it possible to receive fellowship for a percentage of one's tuition or is it an all or nothing decision?

AmyPR (Oct 20, 2009 7:18:07 PM)
I'm considering going to one of the upcoming Consortium MAPS seminars. What should I expect to learn there?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Oct 20, 2009 7:18:14 PM)
DanlnPR- You will only need to provide a copy of your resume during the interview process.

Kendra (Oct 20, 2009 7:18:52 PM)
What programs are Consortium students required to take part of during grad school?

JacquelynnDayROCHESTER (Oct 20, 2009 7:19:01 PM)
Kendra: Simon enrolls about 10% of our students directly from a BS or BA degree and about 30% of our students enroll with less than 3 years of prior work experience.

StephanieSingerNYU (Oct 20, 2009 7:19:03 PM)
Hi AmyPR, there is an admissions panel, and alumni panel and then a fair at the end of the seminar.

Megan (Oct 20, 2009 7:19:30 PM)
Is it best to do your Consortium interview with a school representative or an alumnus? If you are applying to more than one school, is it a disadvantage that you did your interview with a particular school representative?

BradRosenwinkelINDIANA (Oct 20, 2009 7:19:32 PM)
Hi MSA--the Consortium fellowship is awarded as a whole and covers the entire tuition. Students can only receive one Consortium fellowship. However, many schools may also offer merit fellowships specific to that school.

Mitch (Oct 20, 2009 7:19:43 PM)
If you choose to interview on-campus, will the interviewer be a Consortium Alumnus/administrator, or from that school's admissions department?

Ingrid Cruz (Oct 20, 2009 7:19:58 PM)
I am in the process of completing my Consortium application and my interview date is approaching. I am having a hard time finding my Consortium application ID which I must bring to the interview. Where can I find it?

KevinKileyWASHINGTON (Oct 20, 2009 7:20:17 PM)
Teema: One primary thing every CGSM admissions committee will need to know is that you have the academic ability to survive in a top MBA program. After all, at the end of the day, we're all schools. Certainly you'll want to accentuate all those other positive qualities you listed. And be sure to reinforce what a hard worker you are. Also, be sure to measure your GMAT result against the averages/mid-80% ranges for the schools you're applying to. You have a lot to offer, to the right school. Good luck.

Latrice (Oct 20, 2009 7:20:43 PM)
Wendy, would someone who hasn't taken the GMAT and is applying through Consortium be considered for acceptance?

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Oct 20, 2009 7:21:03 PM)
Kendra - as a Consortium Fellow you will be required to participate in the Orientation Program weekend, which takes place in June. Once you are enrolled in school you are expected to be an active participant in student activities, programs, and recruiting, etc.

WendyHuberUVA (Oct 20, 2009 7:21:11 PM)
Latrice, the GMAT is a required piece of the application. Your application would not be forwarded to the schools you selected unless it was complete.

Edgar (Oct 20, 2009 7:21:39 PM)
If I'm unable to attend one of the MAPS recruiting events, how can I gain some insight as to what constitutes a "competitive" application?

RebeccaDockeryCONSORTIUM (Oct 20, 2009 7:21:45 PM)
Ingrid- We no longer use the ID number for submitting interview evaluations. Instead, you should use your VIP page to submit your interviewer's contact information, and the evaluation form will be emailed directly to the interviewer.

Derick Kubi (Oct 20, 2009 7:21:49 PM)
Rebecca, can I apply through the Consortium in 2010 and 2011?

BradRosenwinkelINDIANA (Oct 20, 2009 7:21:51 PM)
Hi Megan--your Consortium interview may be with any school representative or alumni of the Consortium. This is an added advantage of the Consortium application process. As member schools, we evaluate your interview contents, not specifically the person with whom you interviewed.

mimi (Oct 20, 2009 7:21:55 PM)
For the interview, does the resume need to be formatted according to the requirements stated on the application?

Ibasir (Oct 20, 2009 7:22:07 PM)
I know that the Consortium process is staggered (1. Admission 2.Membership 3.Fellowship) However, at which stage does the applicant need to commit to his or her school of choice? Will we know our fellowship status before accepting an offer of admission?

RebeccaDockeryCONSORTIUM (Oct 20, 2009 7:22:07 PM)
Derick- the application currently available is only for Fall 2010 start.

SherylSchreiberUSC (Oct 20, 2009 7:22:13 PM)
Mitch, this varies from school to school. It is possible to be interviewed by an admissions counselor or a current student. At USC, our on-campus Consortium interviews are conducted by the Admissions team.

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Oct 20, 2009 7:23:13 PM)
Mimi - the Consortium application does not have a required format.

Ray (Oct 20, 2009 7:23:20 PM)
Rebecca, I'm looking to apply to a Consortium member business schools in 2011. What steps would you recommend as a plan of action in preparing my application (e.g. application, interview, and diversity weekends, etc)?

StephanieSingerNYU (Oct 20, 2009 7:23:47 PM)
Hi Edgar - if you are not able to attend one of the MAPS recruiting events, you can visit any of the schools' websites to see any requirements and to see class profiles.

CG (Oct 20, 2009 7:23:49 PM)
I plan on applying to Cornell, Indiana and Rochester. How heavily are GMAT scores weighed in the application? I have a 550 and I wasn't sure if I should plan to retake the GMAT.

BradRosenwinkelINDIANA (Oct 20, 2009 7:23:49 PM)
Hello lbasir, your school rankings are submitted with your application. Admission and membership decisions are made independent of this. Fellowship awards are made in early to mid-March and you have until April 15 to accept the fellowship.

NickName (Oct 20, 2009 7:24:03 PM)
Stephanie, does NYU favor applicants that have taken the GMAT over the GRE or are they both weighed the same?

RebeccaDockeryCONSORTIUM (Oct 20, 2009 7:24:11 PM)
Ray- begin researching programs, visit campuses, take the GMAT early, and begin networking with students, alumni and admissions officers.

goyanks (Oct 20, 2009 7:24:37 PM)
Rebecca: What's the difference between round 1 and round 2? Does applying to round 2 reduce my chances for a fellowship? Is anything done differently at all when you evaluate round 2 applicants?

DanInPR (Oct 20, 2009 7:24:46 PM)
Should the applicant contact the alumni interviewer or member school directly to set up an interview? Also, does the interview need to be completed a number of days in advance of the application deadline?

BradRosenwinkelINDIANA (Oct 20, 2009 7:25:20 PM)
Hello CG--there are no specific weights placed on each aspect of the application. A lower GMAT score may be offset by strength in other components of the application. You will want to evaluate the class profiles and averages of each school to which you are applying in order to evaluate your competitiveness at that particular school.

StephanieSingerNYU (Oct 20, 2009 7:25:34 PM)
Hi Nickname - we feel that the GRE and GMAT are both valuable ways to judge how a student will perform in business school. We do not prefer one test over the other. You can find the average GMAT and 80% range on our website. Since this is the first year we are taking the GRE, we do not have an average yet.

TimC616 (Oct 20, 2009 7:25:47 PM)
In terms of Consortium recommendations - is there a specific preference for who is asked to be recommenders? Obviously the current supervisor is a must. However, some schools deem asking a past subordinate inappropriate while others see it as a great way to evaluate management skills. Thoughts?

RebeccaDockeryCONSORTIUM (Oct 20, 2009 7:25:50 PM)
Goyanks- the main difference between the two deadlines is when you receive an admission decision from the schools. Admission decisions come out about 6-8 weeks after submitting your application. Membership and fellowship decisions come out in mid-March, regardless of which deadline you used.

Od (Oct 20, 2009 7:26:03 PM)
What is the website for the current application?

SherylSchreiberUSC (Oct 20, 2009 7:26:07 PM)
DaninPR, if you prefer to interview at a school, please contact that school's Admissions Office directly. If you prefer to interview with an alumnus, you can visit the Consortium website for additional information.

Kendra (Oct 20, 2009 7:26:51 PM)
Are notifications of acceptances into the schools and Consortium sent out separately?

BradRosenwinkelINDIANA (Oct 20, 2009 7:27:13 PM)
Hello Od--You can find the Consortium application under the link for "Prospective Students" on the Consortium website.

Michael H (Oct 20, 2009 7:27:16 PM)
The Consortium application strongly suggests that a recommendation come from your current employer. Do admissions committees look upon applications with disfavor if they do not include a recommendation from one’s current employer? That being said, is there any consideration given to the current state of the economy, widespread downsizing, and an applicant fearing premature release from their position? If so, should this be addressed in the additional essays?

Mitch (Oct 20, 2009 7:27:31 PM)
What are the benefits to attending a MAPS event after my application has been submitted on November 15th?

MSA (Oct 20, 2009 7:27:51 PM)
What is the process for scheduling a Consortium interview? Do we just pick a name from the list posted on the Consortium website and contact the interviewers directly?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Oct 20, 2009 7:27:52 PM)
CG - We generally complete a holistic view of all applications, but the GMAT is an important factor in terms of assessing your ability to perform well in the core coursework. Retaking the GMAT is one potential strategy for strengthening your application.

KevinKileyWASHINGTON (Oct 20, 2009 7:28:07 PM)
TimC616: The spirit of the recommendations is that they're best completed by someone who has recently observed you in a professional work setting and can comment on your professional demeanor, your leadership style,  and your management potential, etc. Generally, it's best to avoid subordinates, family members and past teachers as recommenders.

StephanieSingerNYU (Oct 20, 2009 7:28:09 PM)
Hi Kendra - you will find out your decision from a school separately from the Consortium membership and fellowship decisions. Therefore you may receive a decision from a school before hearing from the Consortium.

Edgar (Oct 20, 2009 7:28:15 PM)
On the opposite end of "minimum work experience", is there such a thing as "too much" work experience? Would 13 years of work experience be a disadvantage?

RebeccaDockeryCONSORTIUM (Oct 20, 2009 7:28:20 PM)
MSA- Yes, just pick someone and set up your appointment directly with that person.

RTorres (Oct 20, 2009 7:28:41 PM)
The "Information Request Form" in the Consortium website asks for information about the candidate. Is this information just used to set up a profile as a first step in the application process?

BradRosenwinkelINDIANA (Oct 20, 2009 7:28:56 PM)
Hi Mitch: MAPS will provide insight into not only the application process, but also the fellowship process and the benefits of selecting a Consortium school. Additionally, MAPS allows you to get to know representatives from the schools and the Consortium, as well as future Consortium classmates.

WendyHuberUVA (Oct 20, 2009 7:29:32 PM)
Michael, we understand that there may be some sensitive situations given the economy. If you are uncomfortable asking your current supervisor and have a suitable replacement, feel free to do so. I would also be sure to let us know this in the additional comments/optional essay. This will help the admissions committee know what's going on.

RebeccaDockeryCONSORTIUM (Oct 20, 2009 7:29:38 PM)
Rtorres- The Information Request form creates your VIP page, which provides customized information for you about our member schools and the Consortium.

CG (Oct 20, 2009 7:30:01 PM)
I've worked for different managers at the same company. Does "current employer" also include past managers at the same company or is it specific to my current manager?

KevinKileyWASHINGTON (Oct 20, 2009 7:30:22 PM)
Edgar: There may be some school-specific aspects to your question, but in general, no. As with any application, your goal is to stand out for the right reasons. Your wealth of experience could very well be positive, provided you also can demonstrate you're a good overall fit for a school.

Kendra (Oct 20, 2009 7:30:28 PM)
Kevin: I will be attending a program at Washington University on November 20th that includes a segment on the Consortium. Should I also attend MAPS to learn more about the Consortium or will the event at Washington University have enough information?

mimi (Oct 20, 2009 7:30:56 PM)
Rebecca, some of my extra-curricular activities will not fit in the space provided in the online application. Could I send a separate document or is there an area in the application that I can list the organizations, involvement, and dates?

RebeccaDockeryCONSORTIUM (Oct 20, 2009 7:31:49 PM)
Mimi- We are unable to accept documents outside of what is required within the application. If you can not fit your activities into the text box, you may include them in your resume or use your optional essay to further discuss them.

Kendra (Oct 20, 2009 7:32:01 PM)
I haven't looked at the application, but I'm assuming there is a place for work experience. I haven't had a full time job, but I have had 3 internships where I did managerial work. How do I put those into the format in the application?

JacquelynnDayROCHESTER (Oct 20, 2009 7:32:28 PM)
CG: While the GMAT is important, it's one only part of the application. However, if you have little to no work experience, Simon does tend to look a bit more closely at your GMAT and GPA. We recommend an applicant to submit an overall competitive application. For your reference, please go to our class profile online.

KevinKileyWASHINGTON (Oct 20, 2009 7:32:42 PM)
Kendra: I would definitely recommend attending the MAPS event if you can. It'll be a good chance for you to meet representatives from other schools (not that I'm trying to chase you from Washington U at all!), hear from CGSM alums, and more. Of course, I also look forward to seeing you on campus here in November.

Edgar (Oct 20, 2009 7:33:26 PM)
Kevin, in the employment market, it seems your degree/GPA weighs less with each year of professional experience. Does the same hold true in the B-school application process?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Oct 20, 2009 7:33:43 PM)
CG- Your previous manager might be a great option for a recommendation, particularly if he or she can provide extensive details about your professional accomplishments.

RTorres (Oct 20, 2009 7:33:50 PM)
Some schools offer joint degree programs, and they usually require the applicant to specify in both applications their intent to apply to the joint program, as well as (typically) asking for an additional essay explaining how this fits with their goals and direction. Does the application structure enable specifics such as these to be incorporated into the application? Are applications tailored for each school selected?

MBA Bound (Oct 20, 2009 7:35:03 PM)
What are some of the pitfalls that you would recommend applicants avoid on an application?

mimi (Oct 20, 2009 7:35:56 PM)
Stephanie, what are some ways to show interest in NYU if you do not have the resources to attend events on campus?

TimC616 (Oct 20, 2009 7:36:06 PM)
I have a question on the Fellowship portion of the decision making. If I rank School A first and School B and C second and third respectively, will School A potentially view my fellowship possibilities in a negative light, seeing that I have also considered other schools?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Oct 20, 2009 7:36:07 PM)
RTorres: Questions regarding dual degrees may vary across school supplements on the Consortium application. You can certainly include this information in essays if appropriate.

KevinKileyWASHINGTON (Oct 20, 2009 7:36:46 PM)
Edgar: To a degree that's true. But remember, one thing every admissions committee is evaluating is your academic ability. So it remains important in the MBA admissions realm. If by chance your undergrad record isn't great, you have a chance to prove yourself in the present time via the GMAT.

KJF (Oct 20, 2009 7:36:47 PM)
I’ve decided to pursue a different career based on my personal goals and research via the internet, books, etc. I do not work in a department where I can speak with someone that is currently working in my ideal field. As a result, my essay about how a MBA will help to achieve my desired future is based on secondhand information. What are some key items that you all look for in the short/long-term goals essay from career-changers?

Kendra (Oct 20, 2009 7:36:49 PM)
Thanks Kevin, I'm looking forward to being on Washington U campus. I honestly don't think I will be able to travel to both events. Will there be a Consortium representative that I can talk to at the Washington U event?

CG (Oct 20, 2009 7:37:20 PM)
Should the work experience section of the application only include full time work experience post undergrad? I also completed several internships.

SherylSchreiberUSC (Oct 20, 2009 7:37:23 PM)
MBA Bound, as with any application, please make sure to provide specific examples to each question and make sure you are answering what is asked. We see many typos, etc. in applications, so be careful. Also, make sure to do your research about each school.

JacquelynnDayROCHESTER (Oct 20, 2009 7:37:38 PM)
MBA Bound: Not following the instructions of the application and not meeting deadlines are things to avoid.

NickName (Oct 20, 2009 7:37:55 PM)
What is the latest date I can take the GMAT so that the application will not be considered late?

BradRosenwinkelINDIANA (Oct 20, 2009 7:38:10 PM)
Hi Tim--your ranking of schools is used solely to determine the order in which schools have the opportunity to offer you a Consortium fellowship. I do not believe any of us honestly expect you to only apply to our specific school.

teema (Oct 20, 2009 7:38:39 PM)
Hi, I am only applying to one school based on the excellent fit between the school's program, location and my career goals. How much would you advise that I emphasize this on my application? Would you advise the use of admission consultants to maximize my chances of admission?

StephanieSingerNYU (Oct 20, 2009 7:38:51 PM)
Mimi: We understand not everyone can visit campus. One way to get to know the Stern community is to contact one of our Graduate Ambassadors (2nd year students). You can email them at mbaga@stern.nyu.edu. The website also has great resources including podcasts and student blogs. We also attend MBA Fairs and Presentations in the fall.

Linda Abraham (Oct 20, 2009 7:39:02 PM)
MBABound, MBA Podcaster has a segment that addresses your question.

RebeccaDockeryCONSORTIUM (Oct 20, 2009 7:39:04 PM)
NickName- You should take the GMAT at least a week before your intended deadline to ensure Pearson's will be able to provide a score report by the deadline.

NickName (Oct 20, 2009 7:39:14 PM)
Stephanie, my supervisor graduated from Stern. She is writing my recommendation. Will she be able to make this known via the recommendation link?

WendyHuberUVA (Oct 20, 2009 7:39:16 PM)
CG, it will depend on how many of years of work experience you have. If you are early in your career (say 1-3 years) it might be helpful to show those internships. If you have 4+ years of work experience I really don't think it is necessary.

TimC616 (Oct 20, 2009 7:39:43 PM)
 What are some notable things applicants have done in the past to put them at an advantage?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Oct 20, 2009 7:40:09 PM)
KJF - When applicants intend to switch careers, we generally look for transferable skills. We also recommend networking within your desired industry.

KevinKileyWASHINGTON (Oct 20, 2009 7:40:09 PM)
Kendra: Our admissions representatives are very familiar with the CGSM (remember, the Consortium is the result of a vision of one of our professors, back in 1966!); and, we'll have at least one Washington U CGSM alumnus at our November event.

Michael H (Oct 20, 2009 7:41:15 PM)
Kevin, why are past professors a poor choice for a recommendation?

JacquelynnDayROCHESTER (Oct 20, 2009 7:42:16 PM)
TiMC616: What has been of key importance is demonstrating that he/she was a good fit.

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Oct 20, 2009 7:42:33 PM)
Tim: Assuming you are asking about notable things on the application, we all look for well rounded applicants. We want individuals that have given back to their communities, done volunteering, etc. In addition we like to see demonstrated leadership in different organizations.

Linda Abraham (Oct 20, 2009 7:43:22 PM)
Have the events in the financial markets and the recession affected your programs? How have they entered the classroom?

Ximbica (Oct 20, 2009 7:43:36 PM)
Rebecca- How can I prepare for the Consortium interview?

KevinKileyWASHINGTON (Oct 20, 2009 7:44:02 PM)
Michael H: With the MBA being a professional degree, recommendations are intended to highlight your qualities as a professional, not your academic prowess. That is measured mainly via the undergrad transcripts and your standardized test results.

SherylSchreiberUSC (Oct 20, 2009 7:44:28 PM)
Linda, USC has seen an increase in applications over the past few years -- something that usually happens in a down-turn economy. This makes for a very competitive application process.

RebeccaDockeryCONSORTIUM (Oct 20, 2009 7:45:16 PM)
Ximbica- Treat it like a job interview. Make sure you are prepared to answer questions about your academic and professional background, your goals, why you want an MBA, and leadership and teamwork experiences. Also, be sure to observe appropriate interview etiquette- confirm the appointment 24 hours in advance, provide your resume ahead of the interview and during the appointment, and write a thank you note when the interview is over.

Ximbica (Oct 20, 2009 7:45:17 PM)
Wendy- Is Darden anticipating an increase in applications this year?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Oct 20, 2009 7:45:20 PM)
Linda - Economic conditions impacted the numbers and diversity of applications and placements at various programs. The events also inspired changes in specific courses and strategies across the program.

KimS10 (Oct 20, 2009 7:45:29 PM)
HI Stephanie, I attended Discover Stern this past weekend and had a question regarding local alumni - does NYU maintain a list of alumni that are willing to talk with prospective students who do not reside in the NYC area?

Linda Abraham (Oct 20, 2009 7:46:07 PM)
What were some of the changes in courses, Laurie?

Linda Abraham (Oct 20, 2009 7:46:45 PM)
How can an applicant differentiate him or herself from other candidates?

WendyHuberUVA (Oct 20, 2009 7:46:53 PM)
Ximbica, I wish I had the crystal ball. With the economy the way it is and the international loans still very tenuous, it's hard to say. My guess is the quality will be high and applications may be up slightly.

NickName (Oct 20, 2009 7:46:55 PM)
Due to the current economic conditions, has the Consortium's available funds towards fellowships lowered, therefore, allowing for less candidates to be accepted?

TimC616 (Oct 20, 2009 7:46:59 PM)
Brad, what's the best way I can prepare for the Consortium interview? What's the general tone of the interview? Should I expect the standard job interview or is more similar to typical admission interviews where an interviewer will discuss my resume and discuss what I want to do with an MBA?

Linda Abraham (Oct 20, 2009 7:49:26 PM)
What personal qualities would you like to see demonstrated through the essays and interviews?

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Oct 20, 2009 7:49:29 PM)
Nickname - all of the Fellowship funding come directly from the schools, not the Consortium. Financial Aid has been affected at all levels by the current economic situation as most schools function on an endowment that is directly related to the stock market's success. The 15 member schools are committed to both the Consortium, as well as the qualified applicants that come to them through the Consortium, and look forward to the unique pool of students that are presented each year.

Edgar (Oct 20, 2009 7:49:39 PM)
If I'm not quite ready to submit my application by the 1st round deadline, what is the earliest that I can submit my application for the 2nd round? For example, if I submit my application the day after the 1st round deadline, how soon will it get looked at?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Oct 20, 2009 7:49:58 PM)
Linda - at the Johnson School, professors like Maureen O'Hara addressed events associated with the financial crises in classroom discussions, cases, etc. We also hosted speakers and organized lectures around the financial crisis.

BradRosenwinkelINDIANA (Oct 20, 2009 7:49:59 PM)
Hi Tim--you should treat your interview as a professional interview, a job interview if you want to think of it in that way. The interviewer will want to gain a further understanding of your background, experience, and what role an MBA will play in addition to this, in order to reach your career goals. It is a good idea to formulate "your story" before your interview and many applicants find it helpful to review their essays and profession direction beforehand.

Michael H (Oct 20, 2009 7:50:22 PM)
Kevin, this particular professor oversaw a research project that I preformed in one of my professional internships. He currently refers to my research in his lectures. Would this serve as an extenuating circumstance, or should I seek another recommender?

KJF (Oct 20, 2009 7:50:32 PM)
Is there a predetermined number of fellowships that will be offered at each University ?

WendyHuberUVA (Oct 20, 2009 7:50:56 PM)
Linda, applicants need to be genuine. Applications have become very homogenized and pasteurized. We ask questions to find out about the individual. Instead of trying to figure out what we want, spend time thinking about who you are and why this is the right next step.

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Oct 20, 2009 7:51:13 PM)
Linda, at the Wisconsin School of Business, we have hosted a CNN Town Hall, held debates with the pre-election presidential economic advisers, and continue to address it daily through our curriculum.

BradRosenwinkelINDIANA (Oct 20, 2009 7:51:37 PM)
Hello KJF--each individual school determines the number of fellowship offers they will make. This varies at each institution.

Michael H (Oct 20, 2009 7:52:24 PM)
Thanks Wendy! Does UVA also see ex- professors as a poor source for recommendation?

KevinKileyWASHINGTON (Oct 20, 2009 7:52:34 PM)
Michael H: That could be one of the main exceptions to the usual "no professors" rule when it comes to recommendations. That is, if a professor closely oversaw some sort of work experience you've had -- an internship, a research project, etc. -- then it might be the case that they could be a good recommender. You might want to check with each of your schools on this, though.

Ximbica (Oct 20, 2009 7:53:23 PM)
Wendy- How many Consortium fellowships are awarded each year?

TimC616 (Oct 20, 2009 7:53:31 PM)
Brad - I'm scheduled for an interview next week since I plan to visit the IU campus anyways. However, I haven't formulated my essay yet. Should hold off on the interview until I have done so, to have a better formulated "story?"

StephanieSingerNYU (Oct 20, 2009 7:53:38 PM)
KimS10- The list of NYU alumni are only available for enrolled students. However you can reach out to the Consortium alumni listed on the Consortium application.

BradRosenwinkelINDIANA (Oct 20, 2009 7:53:47 PM)
Hi Tim--you don't necessarily need to postpone your interview based on the fact that you haven't formulated your essays. However, you should be sure that you are prepared to share your "story."

WendyHuberUVA (Oct 20, 2009 7:53:49 PM)
Michael, when I see a letter from a faculty member, they usually can't answer the questions well. I'd try to avoid this if at all possible.

WendyHuberUVA (Oct 20, 2009 7:54:10 PM)
Ximbica, Fellowships are merit based so it depends on the quality of the applicant pool. We have no set number.

Linda Abraham (Oct 20, 2009 7:54:16 PM)
Thank you again all for participating this evening. Special thanks to all the Consortium representatives here this evening.

We look forward to seeing you at future chats. Here is a list of currently scheduled chats:

• Nov 5:   Kellogg Q&A

• Nov 11: London Business School MiM

• Nov 18: Consortium Chat with Current Students

• Dec 7 : London Business School

• Dec 16: Dartmouth Tuck Q&A

If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list. Please check the website for additional details.

Have a very good evening! Good luck with your applications!

RTorres (Oct 20, 2009 7:54:40 PM)
Thank you to the panel and moderator for a great discussion. Very valuable.

Michael H (Oct 20, 2009 7:54:43 PM)
Thank you Kevin!

Mitch (Oct 20, 2009 7:54:45 PM)
Thanks everyone!

SherylSchreiberUSC (Oct 20, 2009 7:54:47 PM)
Thank you all. Best of luck with the applications.

mimi (Oct 20, 2009 7:54:54 PM)
Thank you everyone!

MSA (Oct 20, 2009 7:54:56 PM)
Thank you all!

WendyHuberUVA (Oct 20, 2009 7:54:58 PM)
Good luck everyone!

KJF (Oct 20, 2009 7:54:58 PM)
Thanks Linda !

TimC616 (Oct 20, 2009 7:55:01 PM)
Thank you all

Ingrid Cruz (Oct 20, 2009 7:55:04 PM)
Thank you!

CG (Oct 20, 2009 7:55:09 PM)
Thanks for answering all of my questions.

KJF (Oct 20, 2009 7:55:12 PM)
Thank you!

Ximbica (Oct 20, 2009 7:55:19 PM)
Thanks Wendy!

TimC616 (Oct 20, 2009 7:55:23 PM)
Thanks for your help Brad!

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Oct 20, 2009 7:55:36 PM)
If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me via email. Thank you for joining us!

WendyHuberUVA (Oct 20, 2009 7:55:40 PM)
If you want to get in touch, you can also reach me via email.

BradRosenwinkelINDIANA (Oct 20, 2009 7:55:48 PM)
Thank you all for participating! Feel free to contact me with any further questions.

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Oct 20, 2009 7:55:56 PM)
Please feel free to email me as well!

StephanieSingerNYU (Oct 20, 2009 7:56:03 PM)
Feel free to reach out to me via email if you have any other questions!

SherylSchreiberUSC (Oct 20, 2009 7:56:04 PM)
If you have any questions, feel free to email me!

KevinKileyWASHINGTON (Oct 20, 2009 7:56:04 PM)
If anyone wants to follow up with me directly, I'm happy to help. Thanks and good luck!

Michael H (Oct 20, 2009 7:56:16 PM)
Hello Erin, nice to chat with you again!

JacquelynnDayROCHESTER (Oct 20, 2009 7:56:17 PM)
If you have any questions I can be reached via email.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room