Pre-Med Chat Transcript — May 3, 1999

Pre-Med Chat Transcript — May 3, 1999

This is the transcript from the first of what we hope will be many chats to serve the pre-professional community. Please feel free to let me know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format — all question-and-answer for example — or different topics.

The transcript refers to several sample essays. They are The Anthropology Student, The Storyteller, and Don't write like this!.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:02:26 PM)
Welcome to Accepted.com's first online chat. We will focus on the AMCAS essay this evening.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:02:35 PM)
I encourage dialogue and discussion, but I would like to suggest a structure to make it easier to follow the threads of conversation. So here is the protocol:

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:02:56 PM)
I will post material to the chat. If you have a question on that material, please type a '?' and I and/or other participants will reply. If one of you wants to comment on the current topic, please jump right in. If you want to start a different topic, please type '?.'

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:03:25 PM)
I will open the second part of the chat to questions. Please ask any questions that you have pertaining to writing for medical school admission -- AMCAS essay, non-AMCAS personal statements, secondaries, or letters of recommendation. Again if you want to ask a question or raise a new subject, please type '?'; if you want to comment on a topic currently being discussed, type away!

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:03:46 PM)
Since I want to encourage discussion, I am going to start with a question: What is a personal statement?

Elnino (03-May-99 9:04:27 PM)
A personal statement is something not found on your transcripts or cv. It states what is important to the writer.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:05:12 PM)
OK good answer. Both parts of your answer are important. You don't want to repeat what’s on the rest of your application, and you do want to reveal what is important to you. More on the latter later.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:05:30 PM)
Here are two other good descriptions:

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:05:38 PM)
A window into the real you.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:05:46 PM)
A demonstration of your critical thinking and communications skills.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:05:57 PM)
These descriptions definitely reveal important aspects of the personal statement, but they don't go far enough for two reasons:

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:06:07 PM)
1) You are trained to write impersonal, objective academic papers. That is being polite. You are trained to write papers that are BORING.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:06:17 PM)
2) They are very different from the engaging, stimulating, revealing pieces admissions staff members would enjoy reading.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:06:29 PM)
Like the authors of journal articles that so frequently put you to sleep, you have been trained merely to convey information clinically and analytically, not to capture attention or engage.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:06:45 PM)
I prefer to define a personal statement as a human-interest story about you. You are quite familiar with the genre. Our newspapers and magazines are filled with them because they grab your attention, hold your interest, and attempt to convince you of the article's message.

Elnino (03-May-99 9:06:51 PM)
I like that- but those seem like kind of nebulous ideas. How do we get personal enough and still deliver an intelligent, thoughtful statement?

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:07:09 PM)
Excellent question. That's what the rest of the chat is going to be about.

Elnino (03-May-99 9:07:14 PM)
Great.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:07:21 PM)
Similarly your personal statement must grab and hold the adcom's attention - and convince the reader to accept YOU!

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:07:31 PM)
The admissions staff is made up of human beings plodding through boring, monotonous, frequently trite essays. They are desperate to read something engaging, exciting, and persuasive. When they do, it goes in the admit pile (provided the numbers are there, too.)

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:07:50 PM)
Elnino, if I haven't answered your question by the end of the chat, please ask it again. OK?

Elnino (03-May-99 9:07:56 PM)
OK.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:08:13 PM)
Now that we have clarified what the personal statement is, let's discuss how to produce one. Any questions?

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:08:40 PM)
Step 1 - General Preparation

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:08:51 PM)
First let's discuss the structure of our model, the human-interest story. It has four parts: lead, theme, body, conclusion.

Elnino (03-May-99 9:09:08 PM)
I'm a post-bac student. I want to focus on individual experiences I've found significant since college, but I feel like I have to explain my educational shift. Advice?

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:09:09 PM)
1. Lead or hook-captures the reader's attention and makes him or her want to read more. Typically the lead is an anecdote, question, gripping description of a scene, a startling statement or statistic, or a quote. 2. Thesis statement 3. Body-material to support the thesis and anticipate possible counter-arguments or objections 4. Conclusion-wrap up the article

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:09:49 PM)
I gather that your undergraduate grades were decent, but that you just want to change your focus?

mini (03-May-99 9:10:01 PM)
(This user has entered Accepted.com Pre-Med Chat)

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:10:23 PM)
Am I correct?

Elnino (03-May-99 9:10:34 PM)
Pretty much. I realized psychology was limiting in my goal- assessing the health of kids. Medicine would allow me to do much more.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:11:05 PM)
Then in your essay you would discuss satisfying or limiting experience in psychology that led you to turn to medicine.

Elnino (03-May-99 9:11:21 PM)
But this sounds so trite! I want to avoid that and I'm finding it hard.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:11:30 PM)
But don't disparage what you have done in the past. Portray it as a foundation or building block.

Elnino (03-May-99 9:11:46 PM)
Yeah, that's where I've been trying to go with the writing.

Linda Butcher (03-May-99 9:12:02 PM)
Welcome, Mini! To bring you up-to-date, Linda Abraham is responding to El Nino's question pertaining to the need to explain a shift in educational focus within the personal statement.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:12:11 PM)
OK. Let me continue with the prepared presentation. Could you hold the more personal or specific questions till the second half?

Elnino (03-May-99 9:12:19 PM)
Yep.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:12:37 PM)
Let's move on the Step 2 -- Pick a topic and develop your thesis.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:12:45 PM)
"I don't know how to start!" is one of the more common comments I hear. Well to start you need a topic and a thesis, a point you are trying to make.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:12:59 PM)
The topic(s) of your essay should reveal what is most important to you and distinctive about you. Read that again. You need to write about what is most important to you and distinctive about you. That is a crucial point. If you do choose a topic about which you are passionate, that passion will show through in your writing. And it is obvious why you want to distinguish yourself from your thousands of competitors.

mini (03-May-99 9:13:19 PM)
(This user has left DigiChat)

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:13:31 PM)
Furthermore, you need to choose carefully because you don't have room for the unimportant. The AMCAS-E is approximately 800 words. Since the typical paragraph is approximately 150 words, the personal comments section on the AMCAS application is your good ol' five-paragraph essay. That doesn't give you much space for expansiveness. Do not write a laundry list of your life or a resume in prose. Carefully select what you will include.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:13:39 PM)
And once you have selected the topics, make sure you are making a point. The personal statement has to have a duality of description and analysis. What is important and why. If you only describe and fail to analyze, you will end up with the resume-like list. If you only provide the analysis, the why you want to be a doctor without any back up, your essay will probably be a self-absorbed, pompous collection of platitudes. Maintain that duality of description and analysis.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:13:49 PM)
Analysis means that you are making a point. That point is your thesis.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:14:04 PM)
Your thesis doesn't have to appear verbatim in your personal statement. Its primary purpose is to guide you in writing. A good thesis provides the backbone of a good essay. It helps to direct you: anything that doesn't support the thesis should be thrown out.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:14:09 PM)
Let's take a look at our sample essays. Can you look at Essay 2 (The Anthropology Student) and boil it down to a one-sentence thesis?

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:15:26 PM)
OK. What do you think of this as the thesis for Essay 2?

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:15:29 PM)
"My personal background, volunteering in different clinical capacities, and participating extensively in research have convinced me that I want to be a doctor who treats patients not as collections of symptoms, but as human beings in need of compassion."

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:16:02 PM)
Do you see how it focuses on a few areas of the writer's life and directs the writer in the writing process?

Elnino (03-May-99 9:16:40 PM)
It's also interesting and a good read.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:17:04 PM)
Yes. It is. Let's take a look at Essay 4. Can you see a thesis in that one?

Elnino (03-May-99 9:18:10 PM)
A difficult but helpful experience illuminated the challenges of med. to the author, and also encouraged him or her to pursue the intended goal................?

pbodine (03-May-99 9:18:20 PM)

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:18:39 PM)
OK. That's a start (and frankly it's harder to go from the essay to the thesis than the other way around.)

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:18:44 PM)
Here is his thesis:

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:18:47 PM)
"My personal background, volunteering in different clinical capacities, and participating extensively in research have convinced me that I want to be a doctor who treats patients not as collections of symptoms, but as human beings in need of compassion."

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:19:25 PM)
With a defined topic and thesis you should have the direction and focus needed to move on. Any questions?

Elnino (03-May-99 9:19:58 PM)
What if you feel like you have some ideas you're comfortable with but have difficulty piecing them together so they flow?

pbodine (03-May-99 9:20:08 PM)
Hello, Linda. :-)

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:20:25 PM)
Hi Paul.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:21:05 PM)
Then I don't think you have a clear theme in your mind. You haven't yet found the common thread among those ideas. Or perhaps there isn't a common thread and you may have to choose among those ideas.

Elnino (03-May-99 9:21:37 PM)
That may be it.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:21:58 PM)
Let's continue. But keep asking the questions. They are good.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:22:07 PM)
Step 3 - Outline your essay.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:22:17 PM)
Take a few moments to structure and order your essay. Ask yourself "What are the sub-points I want to make in my essay?

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:22:25 PM)
Order them logically and effectively. Again throw out anything extraneous.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:22:33 PM)
Step 4 - Write the body

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:22:45 PM)
Your thesis is the backbone, and your outline is the skeleton. The body, appropriately enough, is the meat of the essay.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:22:56 PM)
We are discussing writing the body before the lead because some are more comfortable working in this order, but if you are more comfortable writing the lead first, go ahead and write it that way.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:23:05 PM)
I mentioned earlier that many writers state their theme towards the end of their lead or the beginning of the body. If you are writing a "story essay," an essay telling a story about one event, you may find it more effective to let the theme become clear as the story unfolds, as the Storyteller did.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:23:26 PM)
Do you see the theme in Essay 2 at the end of the lead?

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:24:12 PM)
On the other hand, if you are writing a "tapestry essay," an essay in which you weave together disparate threads from your life's experiences to create a clear picture, you will probably need to include the thesis earlier in your essay. Generally, the reader needs to know the common thread in a tapestry essay in order to see the whole picture.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:24:56 PM)
Do you see how the theme and where it is placed in Essay 2 provides a roadmap to the reader? And helps tie the different ideas together?

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:26:09 PM)
Since we have a small audience tonight, instead of asking the audience a question I am going to ask you to imagine what would happen if I asked these questions in a room full of medical school hopefuls.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:26:28 PM)
How do you think most would respond to the following:

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:26:38 PM)
1) Do you have clinical volunteer or professional experience? 2) Have you been involved in research? 3) Do you feel your classes are preparing you for medical school? (If not, what are you doing here?) 4) Did you or will you prepare for the MCAT?

Elnino (03-May-99 9:27:04 PM)
Yes to all, I'd guess.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:27:25 PM)
You're right. Now I am going to ask a different series of questions. How would the reaction differ?

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:27:39 PM)
1) How many of you have worked in a local clinic serving the underprivileged? 2) How many of you have worked in a playroom on a pediatric floor? 3) How many of you have counseled people being tested for HIV? 4) How many of you have researched treatments for MS?

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:28:59 PM)
Do you think most would say yes? Or would only a few hands go up in this crowded room?

Elnino (03-May-99 9:29:08 PM)
A few.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:29:15 PM)
What is the difference between the two sets of questions?

Elnino (03-May-99 9:30:00 PM)
One describes experiences that will make a candidate sound unique, and one makes the candidate sound like everyone else.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:30:30 PM)
You're right as usual. One talks in generalities, and one talks in specifics.

mini (03-May-99 9:30:36 PM)

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:30:36 PM)
If you talk in generalities you are very similar to your competition. Only by citing specific examples and using detail judiciously can you individualize your essays and distinguish yourself from your competition.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:31:02 PM)
Furthermore, would your rather read an entirely theoretical book, or a book that mixes theory and example? Don't anecdotes and illustrations bring to life the theory. Don't they make the book (or lecture) more interesting?

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:31:23 PM)
Specifics, anecdotes and examples will make your essay distinctive and engaging. You can't just tell the reader you want to go to medical school or maybe even your reasons for going to medical school; you have to demonstrate that interest or whatever points you are trying to make.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:31:33 PM)
So how do you include details? Write in specifics. Don't write about "my volunteer work"; write about "meeting Joe, the homeless Viet vet missing his two front teeth."

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:31:44 PM)
Don't write about the plight of battered women; write about one battered woman, and give her a pseudonym.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:31:51 PM)
Focus, focus, focus.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:31:59 PM)
Let's compare the Essay 2, "The Anthropology Student" and Essay 9, "Don't Do This"

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:32:25 PM)
Note how the writer wrote about "Sharon," in Essay 2, a few details to emphasize his non-science major. Did he say anything concrete in essay 9?

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:33:22 PM)
Couldn't many pre-meds have written essay 9? Not so with 2. By the way, they are written by the same person. Just in essay 2 he used specifics instead of platitudes and generalities.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:33:45 PM)
He also conveyed much more information -- and information not found on the rest of his application.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:34:02 PM)
Obviously, the storyteller makes excellent use of detail and a few critical specifics throughout his essay. Can someone name a couple of effective details?

Elnino (03-May-99 9:34:45 PM)
I know it's picky, but I like the varied sentence structure. It keeps you awake.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:35:06 PM)
Very good observation. It is an effective writing technique. Along with his vivid use of language.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:35:37 PM)
But how about his use of the Big Mac.

Elnino (03-May-99 9:35:41 PM)
Also, the verbs are good: "reeked," "estranged", "elated." They're action words.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:36:17 PM)
100%. Those are strong words, used correctly. And they communicate well.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:36:51 PM)
Look also how he maintains balance between description and analysis in the paragraph that starts, "My interest in medicine…"

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:37:32 PM)
That balance prevents the essay from turning into a resume in prose or a collection of trite expressions.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:37:45 PM)
In writing your essay, don't be afraid to show emotion without being maudlin or melodramatic. Gentle humor is acceptable, but not required and should never be forced.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:37:57 PM)
Any questions on writing the body?

Elnino (03-May-99 9:38:32 PM)
Is "the story" close to the length we are allotted in Amcas-E?

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:39:06 PM)
No. It is a little longer because the author used the paper AMCAS. AMCAS-E is approximately 200 words less than the paper AMCAS.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:39:35 PM)
Step 5 - The Lead

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:39:43 PM)
The lead, like the beginning of almost any written piece, is the most important part of your essay. Put your most interesting anecdote, tidbit, quote at the beginning of your essay.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:39:52 PM)
Let's review what a lead can be: an anecdote, question, gripping description of a scene, startling statement or statistic, or a quote.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:40:07 PM)
Whatever you do, please don't start your essay with "I was born in …" or "My parents came from …" Those openings are about as sleep inducing as Valium.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:40:16 PM)
Let's look at our sample essays. Please read the first paragraph in each of them.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:40:46 PM)
The storyteller used anecdote and a question to launch his essay. This lead represents an effective use of anecdote, detail, and a question. Any other comments?

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:41:30 PM)
The anthropologist wanted to set himself apart from the beginning of his essay. It was very important to him that he not be just another bio major. Therefore from the beginning he emphasized his anthropology major. BUT he didn't do so by starting with "I chose anthropology as my major so that I could study the cultural difference among human beings…" He demonstrated his interest and conveyed his excitement through a clever use of detail. Any questions?

mini (03-May-99 9:42:02 PM)

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:42:07 PM)
How many AMCAS essays do you think start with an exotic menu of rich French food?

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:42:24 PM)
Step 6 - The Conclusion

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:42:32 PM)
All good things must end, and so too must your essay. That's the purpose of your conclusion - to wrap up your essay.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:42:45 PM)
In the conclusion you should: 1) Restate or state your thesis 2) Remind the reader of those activities you really want them to remember. 3) Tie up your essay by referring back to the lead.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:42:58 PM)
Let's look at our sample essays and see how they concluded.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:43:09 PM)
How did the anthropology student conclude?

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:43:36 PM)
He hit the high points again in his conclusion and tied it up beautifully by referring back to the crise de foie.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:43:46 PM)
How did the storyteller conclude?

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:44:06 PM)
He answered the question he had posed at the end of his lead. He recapped the highlights of his experience and thereby highlighted his diverse and extensive clinical and research experience as well as his commitment to medicine. Furthermore he concretized his theme and tied it up beautifully to the lead by using the detail of the Big Mac.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:44:34 PM)
This concludes the presentation part of the chat. If you were really writing your personal statement you would need to go back and edit it a few times, perhaps show it to a few others (maybe even an Accepted.com editor) and finally whip it into top shape. But for us here and now, I would like to open the chat to your questions.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:45:19 PM)
Not ready to be quiet yet, I would like to ask you a couple of questions: Did you find this useful? Would you have just preferred a question and answer session?

Elnino (03-May-99 9:45:45 PM)
Thanks for these tips- they're really helpful. The length is an obstacle for me. Why such a difference between paper and electronic length allowances?

mini (03-May-99 9:46:15 PM)

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:46:46 PM)
That's a question for AMCAS. I don't know. I suspect that student creativity with font, margins, and line spacing stretched the essay length limits. I suspect that they really intended the paper version to be the same length as the paper version.

pbodine (03-May-99 9:46:57 PM)
What would you do in a situation where the only reason a premed student did volunteer or lab work is because that's what you're "supposed to do"? Get them to dig a little deeper for a theme?

Linda Butcher (03-May-99 9:47:07 PM)
Welcome back, mini. The chat floor has been opened to questions. Please feel free to jump in.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:47:38 PM)
I think I would ask them to dig deeper.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:47:58 PM)
I would ask them why they want to be a doctor, and how do they know it's what they want to do.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:48:33 PM)
It is an expensive and time consuming proposition to find out in medical school that that is not what you want to do.

Elnino (03-May-99 9:48:17 PM)
Do you recommend writing a few totally different essays and seeing which works best? I can't tell if I'm going overboard.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:48:47 PM)
I don't recommend that. It's a lot of work!

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:49:09 PM)
However, if you write something and it doesn't fit for you, I do recommend going back to the drawing board.

Elnino (03-May-99 9:49:24 PM)
Yeah, but sometimes you get stuck in a tone of an essay that you just (I mean me, I guess) can't shake unless you take a different tact.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:49:38 PM)
Then you do need to start over.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:49:58 PM)
Or show it to someone else who can give you an objective opinion. (Small plug.)

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:50:00 PM)
:)

Elnino (03-May-99 9:50:15 PM)
:o)

mini (03-May-99 9:50:38 PM)
Does anyone know about the font type they want the essay in?

pbodine (03-May-99 9:50:39 PM)
Maybe just ask yourself which of your essays you as a reader *enjoyed* the most and work on that one?

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:50:55 PM)
If you are using the paper AMCAS, don't go smaller that ten point font.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:51:05 PM)
Paul, that's a good suggestion.

Elnino (03-May-99 9:51:16 PM)
10 pt. courier. It looks absolutely terrible when it's typed. That's what i"m told AMcas-E wants.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:51:42 PM)
AMCAS-E is Courier. It is completely rigid too. No games allowed :-(

mini (03-May-99 9:52:23 PM)
How many people do you think we should show this essay to?

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:52:50 PM)
3-5 people. Don't show it to the whole world. Also try and show it to some who know you well, and some who can write well.

Elnino (03-May-99 9:53:02 PM)
In reference to my earlier question, should older students be sure to explain the path from point A to B? It definitely takes up space.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:53:07 PM)
You want it to reflect YOU, and you want it to be well written.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:53:22 PM)
As I said above it is also a demonstration of your critical thinking and writing abilities.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:54:03 PM)
You don't have to explain EVERYTHING. You can't. Again you have to choose what is most important to your decisions.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:54:18 PM)
Does that answer your question?

pbodine (03-May-99 9:54:46 PM)
Elnino, is the point A to point B you refer to a career change situation?

mini (03-May-99 9:55:02 PM)
After we have a theme, how many examples to demonstrate this theme is too much?

Elnino (03-May-99 9:55:11 PM)
Yes. I think I find it hard b/c it sounds mealy-mouthed to say "And then I realized blah blah."

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:55:36 PM)
I think you really have room for only three or four sub-points or examples in AMCAS-E.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:56:04 PM)
Paul, do you agree on the sub-point question?

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:56:12 PM)
Paul is one of Accepted.com's editors.

mini (03-May-99 9:56:32 PM)
Can you give us some examples of overdone themes? things we should stay away from?

pbodine (03-May-99 9:56:40 PM)
Three or four, yes. There's not much space to do anything. :-)

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:57:45 PM)
"I want to be a doctor because I want to help people -- especially if you haven't done any volunteer work."

pbodine (03-May-99 9:58:15 PM)
I would think the med schools see a lot of the "serving mankind" kind of theme. Maybe aim for themes that are more off the wall or lighthearted. (Linda beat me too it)

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:58:21 PM)
That is so common. It is important to want to help people, but you have to say why you want to help people in this way.

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:58:42 PM)
My plumber helps me when he unclogs my toilet. And many law school applicants say they want to go into law because they want to help people.

Elnino (03-May-99 9:58:45 PM)
I hate to say it.....................but isn't the helping thing common to all of us?

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:59:29 PM)
True also, Elnino. Again, I think it is an important component of going into medicine, but as Paul said, you need to dig deeper.

mini (03-May-99 9:59:44 PM)

LAbraham (03-May-99 9:59:55 PM)
Why do you want to help in this way? Is it the life-and-death responsibility?

pbodine (03-May-99 9:59:56 PM)
I don't see a lot of essays where the applicant says they're attracted to medicine because of the science of it or the technology of it.

LAbraham (03-May-99 10:00:25 PM)
Well if all they loved was science or technology, then they should probably be in a lab or technical position, not medicine.

Elnino (03-May-99 10:00:26 PM)
I agree. Unfortunately I need to give up my computer space here- will the chat transcript be posted anywhere?

LAbraham (03-May-99 10:01:00 PM)
Yes it should be posted on Accepted.com. Would you have preferred only question and answers? Are you glad I had the presentation earlier?

Elnino (03-May-99 10:01:25 PM)
I think the pres. was a good component- provided structure and a springboard for questions.

LAbraham (03-May-99 10:01:48 PM)
I would really appreciate feedback. Please cut and paste the following questions into an e-mail. Then please answer them and send the e-mail to chat@accepted.com. Thank you very much for participating. Did you find the chat useful? What was the best piece of information you learned this evening? What would have made it more beneficial to you? How could we improve it? Would you attend another one? What would you like to see discussed in another chat? Thank you again for coming. Good luck!

Elnino (03-May-99 10:02:06 PM)
Thanks.

LAbraham (03-May-99 10:02:25 PM)
You're welcome. Good luck! bye.

Elnino (03-May-99 10:02:39 PM)
Bye.