2002 Chicago MBA Admissions Chat with Don Martin

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:00:56 PM)
First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com's University of Chicago Admissions Chat.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:01:07 PM)
I also want to welcome Don Martin, GSB's Associate Dean of Enrollment Management; Go Yoshida, Associate Director for Marketing/Recruiting; and Aaron Abraham, Jamila French, and Jeff Stone, second-year students at Chicago. And last but not least, I want to welcome Cindy Tokumitsu and Paul Bodine, two of Accepted.com's editors.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:01:15 PM)
To give you some sense of the diversity in the GSB student body, I am going to post brief bios from the Chicago students:

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:01:24 PM)
Aaron Abraham is a second-year student at the Chicago GSB. His professional training is in marketing communications and public relations. Prior to enrolling in the Chicago GSB, Aaron worked for Ogilvy Public Relations in Washington, DC and Golin/Harris in Chicago, IL. He has tackled a wide range of branding, corporate communications, and product marketing projects at these firms. After graduation, Aaron plans to focus his career on product management and strategy for a sports apparel company in the Northwest. When asked about the Chicago GSB, Aaron likes to point out the cooperative nature of his fellow students. "There's a collaborative atmosphere unlike any I've experienced," he says, "I feel very fortunate to be part of such a close-knit community." Originally from Westport, CT, Aaron participates in a number of student groups including the Dean's Student Admissions Committee, Corporate Management & Strategy Group, Marketing Group, and the Dean's Marketing Advisory Committee. He received his B.A. in Psych.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:01:39 PM)
Jamila received her B.B.A. in International Business from Howard University in Washington, D.C. After gaining retail industry experience at Bloomingdale's in New York, the Chicago native returned to her home town to focus on marketing and entrepreneurship at Chicago GSB. She enjoys the many international opportunities available through the GSB - a program that has already taken her to Senegal and Brazil this year. Her short-term plans include participation in the Kauffman Entrepreneur Internship Program this summer. Jamila's extracurricular activities include the African-American M.B.A. Association, Chicago Women in Business, Marketing Group, and the Mentor Program.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:01:51 PM)
Jeffrey came to Chicago GSB with six years of leadership experience in the internet industry. Currently focusing on management and strategy, the California native eventually plans to run his own company. Jeffrey has quickly learned that much of his GSB education extends beyond the classroom. "I am continually amazed at the level of accomplishments of my classmates," he says. "Every day I learn something new from some type of experience in their personal, professional or academic lives." Jeffrey is a member of the Mentor Program, Management Consulting Group, and the Corporate Management and Strategy Group.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:02:13 PM)
Thanks to everyone for joining.

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:02:23 PM)
Thanks for inviting us!!

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:02:39 PM)
I encourage dialogue and discussion, but I would like to suggest a structure to make it easier to follow the threads of conversation. So here is the protocol: We will post material to the chat. If you have a question on that material, please type a '?' and then your question. The other participants or I will reply. If one of you wants to comment on the current topic, please jump right in. If you want to start a different topic, please type '?'.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:02:50 PM)
If the crowd this evening grows and a moderated chat would be more beneficial, we'll switch to that format to avoid the chaotic feel that some other chats have had. When we switch to a moderated chat, all your questions will come to me. I will choose the questions that have the broadest application and those questions will appear in the main window for our guests to reply to. If and when we switch to a moderated format, you will only see your question in the main window if and when it is chosen. You will not see it if it is not chosen.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:03:02 PM)
Final request: We would like to avoid the brief summary of qualifications (or even the long laundry list) followed by the question, "Can I qualify?" Or "What are my chances?" This isn't the forum for that kind of question.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:03:14 PM)
Other than that limitation, this is your chance to ask questions about Chicago's program and admissions policies.

embeay (Nov 4, 2002 9:03:33 PM)
?what is the duration of this chat session, if I may ask

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:03:41 PM)
Usually, they last about one hour. Sometimes, we extend, if the school reps are willing.

Tad Holbie (Nov 4, 2002 9:04:05 PM)
? What role does the interview play in the GSB admissions process, considering 1) it's required and 2) it sometimes happened several weeks/months before submission of the application itself?

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:04:40 PM)
1) it is not required but it is strongly recommended. 2) Interviews can be conducted at anytime prior to submitting your application. Once you complete an interview, we keep it on file until you decide that it is time to turn in your application.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:05:14 PM)
When you look at a file, what do you look at first? Last? How do you review a file?

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:05:55 PM)
Linda, there's no specific order in which we review applications. Our readers review all aspects of your application to get a whole picture of each candidate.

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:06:17 PM)
By the way everyone, Jamila, Aaron and Jeff are co-chairs of our Dean's Student Admissions Committee, and are very qualified to assist in answering questions tonight.

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:06:55 PM)
TH--The interview can only help you as you can present a different side of yourself...something that cannot be put on paper.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:07:06 PM)
Actually, one of the questions I had prepared for the evening is what is the role of the Student Admissions Committee in evaluating applications?

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:07:43 PM)
DSAC plays a very important role in our evaluation process Linda.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:08:07 PM)
How many people, students or admissions staff, review an application? Could you tell us a little about the evaluation process?

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:08:21 PM)
The D in DSAC stands for Dean's Student Admissions Committee.

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:08:41 PM)
Each application gets read three times.

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:08:50 PM)
First year students read applications, and as such, are the first point of contact in the evaluation process.

ravu (Nov 4, 2002 9:09:02 PM)
? Does the company that you work for make a difference to the admission committee. I mean is it advantageous to have worked in oracle as compared to a startup?

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:09:40 PM)
No, I worked for two startups before coming to the GSB. I have found that is not so much who you worked for but what you did while you were there. We have students that have all different types of backgrounds and experiences...that is what makes this experience so great!

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:09:55 PM)
The Evaluation Process--We have 3 readers...1st readers are trained 1st year DSAC; 2nd readers are staff readers, and 3rd readers are senior staff. Every application goes thru this evaluation process and none of us sees what the other wrote.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:10:28 PM)
Go, do you then vote? How is the decision made?

FL1 (Nov 4, 2002 9:10:46 PM)
How much does an applicant's age weigh into the decision? How about for Part time? I'm 24 and will be applying to the GSB's part time program.

embeay (Nov 4, 2002 9:11:11 PM)
? follow-up question: How is a person evaluated who is basically low in the hierarchy ... thereby having limited opportunities of demonstrating leadership?

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:11:24 PM)
Age is not a factor in the application process for full or part time students. Rather, we evaluate the breadth of professional experience and development.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:11:40 PM)
Don, how about years of full-time work experience?

ravu (Nov 4, 2002 9:11:46 PM)
thanks Jeff.

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:11:46 PM)
Linda--I most definitely am one of the readers, as are other Asst and Assoc. Directors. We are very much a community so there are many readers up and down the organization.

FL1 (Nov 4, 2002 9:11:57 PM)
That's good to know.

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:12:16 PM)
Linda, we are considering quality of professional development as opposed to quantity.

posten (Nov 4, 2002 9:12:17 PM)
What's the best round to apply in?

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:12:33 PM)
There is no best round for the GSB. My strong advice is that an applicant wait to apply until he/she has an application that is ready to send. We admit from all three of our deadlines.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:13:13 PM)
Don, in the past were there differences in the acceptance rates among the different rounds?

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:13:15 PM)
Even if you have limited leadership experience - it still really comes back to how you have demonstrated strong abilities within your role and how you have made progress going forward.

FL1 (Nov 4, 2002 9:13:17 PM)
So you said you should interview before sending in the application? I always thought it was the opposite.

B_Kool (Nov 4, 2002 9:13:34 PM)
?Does one's pre-MBA salary play any role in the application since all B-school ask about applicants' salary. For example, we haven't had a raise for two years because of the bad economy. Does it put me at any disadvantage? Or is it asked just for statistics purpose?

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:13:42 PM)
Yes, but this is dependent primarily on the number of applications that we receive for each deadline. We do not have quotas of any kind. There is no set number of admit decisions made for each round.

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:14:01 PM)
FL1--Interviews are scheduled and conducted before you apply.

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:14:37 PM)
Interviews - you need to request an interview before you submit your application - that means that an interview can take place after your application arrives at the GSB.

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:14:45 PM)
B_Kool, no, your salary does not play a role in the application. Changes, or lack of, will not sway a decision.

Tad Holbie (Nov 4, 2002 9:15:07 PM)
? What is the most common mistake you see on essays?

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:15:26 PM)
Tad, you stole one of my questions! ;-)

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:15:50 PM)
To the students, what do you like best at Chicago? What would you like to see improved?

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:16:02 PM)
TH--Make sure you have the correct school name on the essay and always do your dd before writing as each school asks different questions.

Optimistic (Nov 4, 2002 9:16:13 PM)
I like the flexibility of the program.

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:16:39 PM)
Linda, for me, it's about the people. I've met some wonderful and talented people here, and learning from them has been one of the most valuable parts of my b-school education.

Campanario (Nov 4, 2002 9:16:40 PM)
?Even with a very flexible curriculum and electives set, is it true that a recruiter generally expects a finance focus from a Chicago GSB student?

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:16:50 PM)
Optimistic - I agree with you.

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:17:05 PM)
Campanario, not really.

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:17:10 PM)
Optimistic--We only have one required course here at the GSB and that is the Leadership Development course.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:17:10 PM)
Optimistic, are you currently a student at GSB?

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:17:12 PM)
Linda-I love the entrepreneurship program and the wonderful classes and experiential programs available at the GSB.

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:17:18 PM)
Our students focus on many different concentrations and in recent years, the number of recruiters from fields outside finance has grown.

FL1 (Nov 4, 2002 9:17:26 PM)
Thanks, Also, I noticed on the GSB site that it was preferred for an applicant to have a supervisor's approval for admittance into the Part time program. Is this the case? I may have a hard time getting such an ok from my boss and may, in fact, need to change jobs. Is that acceptable?

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:17:37 PM)
Jamila, could you tell us more about the program and specifically the experiential programs?

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:17:48 PM)
Sure. I have been a part of programs such as the New Venture Challenge.

Optimistic (Nov 4, 2002 9:17:52 PM)
Linda, no, just an applicant - but I've done a lot a research.

Campanario (Nov 4, 2002 9:18:13 PM)
?For me it is very important to know how partners are received and integrated among Chicago community, classes and students. Could you please talk about specific and concrete examples of efforts that address this issue?

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:18:38 PM)
Jamila, is that a business plan competition?

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:18:43 PM)
yes

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:18:45 PM)
This allows GSB students to enter a business plan. We then have the opportunity to present our business plans to venture capitalists who offer suggestions for improvement.

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:18:50 PM)
FL1, while not exactly required, it would be helpful for a supervisor to know one's plans for the part-time program, as on occasion they may need to miss a few hours at the office here and there in completing class assignments.

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:18:51 PM)
Campanario - there are many opportunities for partners to get involved from partner social activities to individual partner relations.

embeay (Nov 4, 2002 9:19:00 PM)
? #1. Is the no. of applications@GSB Chicago expected to be up this year? #2. Is there any different trend?

B_Kool (Nov 4, 2002 9:19:05 PM)
?What do you think of the optional essay? Different books on MBA admissions offer different options: some suggest that we should never waste an opportunity to write more while others suggest that we should not use the optional essay unless there's something really important that we have to explain. What's your opinion? Do you usually see a large percentage of applicants submit optional essays?

rashid (Nov 4, 2002 9:19:06 PM)
have an admissions question - is it very important that the school believes it is your number one choice? I am surprised how high yield rates are.

FL1 (Nov 4, 2002 9:19:17 PM)
Is it true that you should have an exciting first paragraph in your essays and avoid the standard formal essay?

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:19:47 PM)
The crowd has grown and we're going to switch to a moderated chat.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:19:50 PM)
In a moderated chat, all your questions go to the moderator (me). I will choose the questions that have the broadest application and those questions will appear in the main window for Don, et.al., to reply to. You will only see your question in the main window if and when it is chosen. You will not see your question on the screen if it is not picked.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:20:08 PM)
Please post your questions, and I will choose as many as possible from the ones you post and our guests will respond. You can also post follow up questions.

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:20:18 PM)
embeay, it looks as though we may have another increase in applications this year. As for trends, it's a bit too early to tell - our first application deadline is this Friday.

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:20:26 PM)
Rashid, enthusiasm for the school is very important to us. The GSB is a tight community (as is its alumni network) and one of the things we'd like to see in our fellow classmates is that they value the institution and its merits.

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:20:37 PM)
B_Kool--quite a few applicants do submit an optional essay either to explain something on their application or to strengthen their application by showing us a diff. side to them.

embeay (Nov 4, 2002 9:20:45 PM)
? approximately how much, if you can quantify

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:21:10 PM)
GSB reps you can continue to respond and guests please continue to post your questions.

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:21:13 PM)
embeay, I am not prepared to comment on that yet either. I'm not trying to evade your question, but I'll need to wait and see what Friday brings.

Arora (Nov 4, 2002 9:21:15 PM)
Given the reputation of GSB at a quantitative school (whether accurate or not), how would you rate the importance of quantitative proficiency while reviewing applications....let's say on a scale of 1 to 10? And, following that, what would you suggest an applicant do to strengthen his app if his quantitative skills are not quite up there?

FL1 (Nov 4, 2002 9:21:28 PM)
If enthusiasm is important to show, how many schools would you recommend a student apply for at once?

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:21:55 PM)
FL1 -All applications are read thoroughly from start to finish - therefore a catchy first paragraph is not critical - it is more important that it reflects who you are and why you want come to the GSB.

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:22:00 PM)
We're not just a quantitative school to be sure. We have a strong Marketing dept and an excellent Entrepreneurial program. All apps are reviewed based on: Prof. development, Academic Excellence and Personal Qualities.

Tad Holbie (Nov 4, 2002 9:22:00 PM)
? About essay 8b ("building & motivating a three person team"), how "deep" should our insights be? Parts of my answer sounds like "common sense" to me.

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:22:01 PM)
FL1, the number of schools that you choose to apply to is your decision.

embeay (Nov 4, 2002 9:22:02 PM)
ok, I can understand.

rashid (Nov 4, 2002 9:22:07 PM)
do admissions committees share admits with each other? also, can schools tell where you sent your GMAT scores by the ETS form with your scores?

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:22:34 PM)
rashid, absolutely not - we do not share this information in any way. However, sometimes admits tell us to which other schools they have been admitted. As for GMAT score reporting, we only know where you sent your scores if you tell us.

hong (Nov 4, 2002 9:23:37 PM)
? Don: How does Chicago GSB keep its faculty happy? Considering the small top faculty pool and the high competition for faculty between top schools.

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:24:03 PM)
Tad - It should be deep enough that when a third party reads your essay that they have a complete understanding of what you are trying to say - I know that sometimes this is common sense to you...but not to others.

FL1 (Nov 4, 2002 9:24:19 PM)
Do you recommend applicants offering explanations for their weaknesses in their essays?

ravu (Nov 4, 2002 9:24:21 PM)
? academic excellence, is that only the GMAT and GPA or could things like designing a patented product work

Optimistic (Nov 4, 2002 9:24:25 PM)
Are there any changes to views of international apps post 9/11? Do you expect a lower international acceptance rate as a result?

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:24:39 PM)
hong, our faculty are pretty happy to come to Chicago, and among others, for one important reason: they are hired to teach six months, and get to do research the other six months. This allows them not to have to choose one or the other in any given quarter, and focus on improving their research and teaching skills, both of which enter into the tenure process.

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:24:49 PM)
FL1--Most definitely if you believe there is a legitimate explanation to it.

Campanario (Nov 4, 2002 9:25:17 PM)
?Don and students: Why did I not find many references to community and social activities in the application material? Isn't it a school focus?

b (Nov 4, 2002 9:25:21 PM)
ravu, that means creation.

rashid (Nov 4, 2002 9:25:28 PM)
ok - I am just amazed how high yields are - it seems like top candidates would get into multiple schools. Does that imply fit is a major factor (vs. achievements, intellect, etc.), or do you feel luck is a factor as well?

hong (Nov 4, 2002 9:25:30 PM)
Thanks, Don.

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:25:38 PM)
Optimistic - Int'l students are evaluated on the same criteria as our U.S. applicants.

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:25:41 PM)
ravu - yes...designing a patent would be additional information under personal achievements.

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:25:45 PM)
You're welcome, hong.

FL1 (Nov 4, 2002 9:26:01 PM)
Do you expect part time applicant numbers to decline this year due to the struggling economy?

b (Nov 4, 2002 9:26:32 PM)
? Don, has application increased this year?

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:26:34 PM)
Campanario, just a sec...

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:26:45 PM)
well b, we're not sure yet, as our first application deadline is this Friday. But we think there will be an increase.

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:26:52 PM)
FL1--The PT and FT departments are separate and we are from the FT Program.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:27:08 PM)
What is Chicago doing to help its graduates in this tough job market?

hong (Nov 4, 2002 9:27:25 PM)
? Dan: Chicago GSB has great career service center, but it is not available for partners or families. Is it possible to offer career consulting for them once a year in the future? (31% married in class 2002, and 25% married in class 2001)

FL1 (Nov 4, 2002 9:27:30 PM)
Do you have any interview tips? Should you be enthusiastic, calm and mature, or mirror the interviewer, etc.?

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:27:48 PM)
hong, our first priority is to our students. However, our Career Services staff does try to work with partners as time is available to them.

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:27:56 PM)
Campanario - Community is very important to us. A lot of our learning is group based; we have weekly social activities (every Thursday and Friday night). I've found the GSB to be an extremely tight community (as well as the alumni network).

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:28:09 PM)
FL1, you should definitely be enthusiastic and calm. What is most important during the interview is that you be yourself.

embeay (Nov 4, 2002 9:28:12 PM)
? When you measure an applicant, do you measure him/her against people with similar backgrounds? and if yes, how much would diversity within that pool affect their chances?

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:28:16 PM)
3 yrs ago, we created a position called Career Development Director who is responsible for creating new relations with new companies small and large. This had paid off big time with the downturn in the economy.

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:28:29 PM)
Linda - 1) Career services has really stepped up to the plate in many different ways 1- helping students prepare for interviews by holding many practice sessions 2- helping improve resumes 3- helping students with off campus recruiting 4- posting jobs on career websites for all students to apply.

Optimistic (Nov 4, 2002 9:28:47 PM)
To any current students: what has been the most surprising thing about your GSB experience?

hong (Nov 4, 2002 9:28:50 PM)
I see. Thanks

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:29:04 PM)
embeay, no we do not measure applicants with the same backgrounds against only that group. We evaluate applicants on several criteria, and against the entire applicant pool each year.

FL1 (Nov 4, 2002 9:29:10 PM)
Thanks, JamilaFrenchGSB.

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:29:22 PM)
Not a problem.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:29:26 PM)
It sounds like they are really stepping up to the plate.

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:29:40 PM)
Optimistic - The most surprising thing about the GSB is the amount that I've learned from my classmates.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:29:50 PM)
Congrats BTW (by the way) on the BW ranking, which reflects student and recruiter satisfaction.

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:29:50 PM)
Linda - yes. I am more than impressed.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:30:02 PM)
That's great.

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:30:15 PM)
Thanks Linda .

hong (Nov 4, 2002 9:30:16 PM)
? Don: I visited school on Oct 21st this year and target for 2nd round. But after I read Feb 04 Chicago Chat transcripts, I found first round is the best. Because the 1st round waitlisted can have a second chance to compete against 2nd and 3rd round. drumms (ID=38) (Feb 4, 2002 9:18:57 PM) don, would GSB consider a waitlisted applicant's application against the applicant pool in round 2 and 3? DonMartinGSB (ID=69) (Feb 4, 2002 9:20:36 PM) drumms, yes we would. Is this true?

rashid (Nov 4, 2002 9:30:28 PM)
what is the best way for applicants to demonstrate enthusiasm for the school? visits, in the essays? does an additional letter of reference from a student, alum help, or does the admit committee find it unnecessary?

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:30:30 PM)
Thanks Linda--but we have always had the product here at the Chicago GSB!

sea (Nov 4, 2002 9:30:38 PM)
Hi, Don, let me introduce myself, I'm a Big 4 guy from Shanghai China who will apply for 2nd round this year. I have heard that Chicago will be in Shanghai on Nov. 21?

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:30:41 PM)
hong, as I mentioned earlier, we do not have a preference for which deadline you use. The important thing is that you have your application the way you want it.

Josh (Nov 4, 2002 9:30:51 PM)
Is it possible to overcome an extremely low undergrad GPA with an 'alternate' transcript and good GMAT? Do you typically see admits that fall into this category each year?

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:31:25 PM)
Josh-what do you mean by "alternate"?

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:31:39 PM)
Jamila -- post-college.

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:31:43 PM)
ok

FL1 (Nov 4, 2002 9:31:49 PM)
How important are hobbies and other personal info in comparison to the standard qualifications (GMAT, GPA, Wk Exp, etc)?

Tad Holbie (Nov 4, 2002 9:31:52 PM)
? To the students: How difficult has it been to get the courses you wanted? Do you have to bid on them, and how often have you found yourself outbid?

Josh (Nov 4, 2002 9:31:55 PM)
Jamila - A second degree, for instance.

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:31:57 PM)
rashid - Enthusiasm for the school comes out in all forms -- not just in the essay. All parts of the application are evaluated separately. Any additional information or more information that can support or help the admissions committee make a decision helps.

hong (Nov 4, 2002 9:32:00 PM)
That helps. Thanks.

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:32:15 PM)
Sea--We will have an admission reception in Shanghai on 11/21. Please go to http://gsb.uchicago.edu/static.asp?nNodeID=80

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:32:25 PM)
Josh and Linda- I think that a second degree and an explanation during the optional essay can help one to overcome the low undergraduate GPA. You want to demonstrate your ability to excel at the GSB.

Optimistic (Nov 4, 2002 9:32:38 PM)
Does the GSB track and report acceptance rates by GMAT level (i.e. % accepted from 700-750) like that other school in Chicago?

hong (Nov 4, 2002 9:32:46 PM)
? Chicago takes the highest score of GMAT. Is it still necessary to explain why the 2nd GMAT is lower than the 1st one in the optional essay?

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:32:58 PM)
FL1 - the students here are very well-rounded and very active outside of work and the classroom. Your extracurriculars are one input (as are your GMAT, GPA, Essays, etc.)

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:33:03 PM)
Optimistic, no we do not.

sea (Nov 4, 2002 9:33:06 PM)
Thanks, GoYoshidaGSB, Any slots for interviews at this time?

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:33:08 PM)
hong--not necessary unless you have the need to.

embeay (Nov 4, 2002 9:33:11 PM)
? among the scores of engineers/fin. analysts who apply, what distinguishes the candidates who finally gets in from those who don't in terms of "life experiences"/personal qualities?

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:33:12 PM)
Tad - No, it is not difficult. The points system is designed to help students prioritize what class are really important to them, but it is not like you can't get the course that you want.

rtagal (Nov 4, 2002 9:33:15 PM)
Tad- the bidding system is very complex, but with a little planning, it is possible to get all of the courses and professors that you want.

FL1 (Nov 4, 2002 9:33:22 PM)
Since you offer rolling admissions, how soon will a candidate be notified of your decision after submitting his/her application?

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:33:55 PM)
FL1, we do not have rolling admissions. We have three deadlines, and the deadlines for those, and our notification deadlines, are on our admissions website.

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:34:23 PM)
Josh-Generally, there are students who had low GPAs and good GMAT scores and explained the reasons why their undergraduate grades were not a true reflection of their abilities.

Campanario (Nov 4, 2002 9:34:30 PM)
?Could you please explain the adopted teaching method?

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:34:32 PM)
Sea--please go to http://gsb.uchicago.edu/visitor_info/general_visitor_info.htm to schedule an interview.

PSJAMES (Nov 4, 2002 9:34:33 PM)
? to the students, how have you found the accessibility of the faculty?

Edward Lau (Nov 4, 2002 9:34:37 PM)
? Does the GSB have plans to increase the size of its full time MBA program?

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:34:53 PM)
Campanario - can you please clarify your question?

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:34:55 PM)
PSJAMES, I have found the faculty to be very accessible. We have access to them at all times through email and they often answer within 24 hours. In addition, many professors have posted office hours, and we can drop in at any time with questions about class, job search, or simply discussions.

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:35:09 PM)
Embeay - Unfortunately there is no "formula" for engineers, fin. analysts, or any other vocation. Each applicant is reviewed based on their entire application.

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:35:15 PM)
Edward, no, we do not have plans to increase our full-time enrollment at this time.

FL1 (Nov 4, 2002 9:35:26 PM)
Sorry Don, I was looking at the Part Time program.

b (Nov 4, 2002 9:35:31 PM)
? Does Chicago weigh scores most? GMAT, GPA, TOEFL, they hope applicants have all the highest scores of that year?

Campanario (Nov 4, 2002 9:35:33 PM)
Case study, lecture and others.

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:34:46 PM)
FL1, same with the Part Time program - no plans to increase enrollments.

Venkat (Nov 4, 2002 9:34:48 PM)
I find that Chicago has very few essays and the topics are a little offbeat. Why is that? Are you looking more for creativity in your applicants than proven leadership, team skills, etc?

Tad Holbie (Nov 4, 2002 9:34:57 PM)
? When reviewing the essays, do you evaluate all three as a whole, or give marks for each one? Can an applicant with one bad essay get in if the other two are great?

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:35:13 PM)
b - Everything within the application is weighed equally - one thing is not more important than the other.

sea (Nov 4, 2002 9:35:13 PM)
Thanks, Go.

ravu (Nov 4, 2002 9:35:16 PM)
? How is the GPA calculated for students from India

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:35:31 PM)
Campanario - Classes are taught with the method that the faculty believes is best for learning, and it varies depending on the subject matter. About class format, I've found that most marketing and strategy classes are case-based, and the invest/econ classes tends to be more lecture/problems set. However, I'm currently in an investment and finance class that is pure cases.

Edward Lau (Nov 4, 2002 9:35:37 PM)
? Hi Don, how does the GSB gauge its success in recruiting incoming classes?

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:35:44 PM)
Venkat, no, but we do change our essays from year to year. Our desire is to get to know applicants. We usually find out about leadership, communication skills in other parts of the application. So we ask some different kinds of essays in an effort to get to know you in other ways.

b (Nov 4, 2002 9:36:02 PM)
? Students, in such an academically-weighted program, is your workload much heavier than that of other b-schools?

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:36:22 PM)
Ravu--We have a dept of operations that handle these conversions. I don't know the formula off hand.

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:36:35 PM)
Tad, we evaluate the entire application. Therefore, all of your essays as well as the other required documents should be as strong as you can make them.

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:36:46 PM)
Ravu - it depends on where you went to school - we will ask how the university does its rankings (e.g. 4.0 scale) and make a decision based on that.

rashid (Nov 4, 2002 9:37:01 PM)
I've heard mixed reports about the recommendations - how important are they vs. essays? are they mostly to certify achievements, etc.?

Paul_Bodine (Nov 4, 2002 9:37:12 PM)
Is it true that GSB second-years pick the second and third essays?

Venkat (Nov 4, 2002 9:37:31 PM)
thanks Don, does that mean it is better to talk about our personal characteristics and interests in our essays?

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:37:36 PM)
b- I can't really speak about workload at other schools.

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:37:38 PM)
rashid, we evaluate all parts of the application equally.

embeay (Nov 4, 2002 9:37:44 PM)
? What adjectives would best describe the GSB experience

PSJAMES (Nov 4, 2002 9:37:48 PM)
? Are there any opportunities for 1st or 2nd year students to work as research assistants to faculty members?

FL1 (Nov 4, 2002 9:37:53 PM)
Do you feel a recommendation is bad if it's not strongly recommended, or would you respect the honesty of the recommender?

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:38:00 PM)
one sec Venkat. . .

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:38:04 PM)
Paul - the admission staff did seek input for the 2nd and 3rd essay, but it was ultimately the staff's decision.

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:38:14 PM)
FL1--Honesty and strength are important.

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:38:18 PM)
rashid, the essays are weighted equally to the recommendations.

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:38:25 PM)
PSJames - yes - if you are interested.

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:38:52 PM)
FL1 - Certainly, we want the recommender to be honest! : )

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:38:56 PM)
now venkat - it's best to answer the essays in the way you believe helps us best get to know you in every way that you want us to.

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:39:06 PM)
Embeay-Eye-opening, comprehensive, and Incredible are the adjectives I would use to describe my MBA experience at the GSB.

Venkat (Nov 4, 2002 9:39:17 PM)
ok. thanks don.

Optimistic (Nov 4, 2002 9:39:19 PM)
Students - what would you change about the GSB?

Campanario (Nov 4, 2002 9:39:22 PM)
?Is there any kind of financial aid without a co-signer? How much is possible to be received as a loan?

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:39:22 PM)
you're welcome!

rtagal (Nov 4, 2002 9:39:27 PM)
I have found the flexible nature of the GSB to be extremely important to my MBA experience. I was able to take advanced classes during the spring term that put me ahead of the game during my internship.

Tad Holbie (Nov 4, 2002 9:39:54 PM)
? How common are independent studies/research projects by students?

rashid (Nov 4, 2002 9:40:04 PM)
my boss wants me to write my recommendation - he will review and sign it. I feel like this may come across poorly to the adcom. Would it be better to have a former boss write for me (who will do it on his own)?

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:40:14 PM)
Campanario, we do have a loan for international students that does not require a co-signer. You can borrow up to the cost of tuition each year with this option.

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:40:23 PM)
Optimistic - luckily we are building a new business school - it will be nice to have everyone under the same roof.

rtagal (Nov 4, 2002 9:40:34 PM)
The student clubs are fantastic resources for learning about different industries (for a career switcher).

embeay (Nov 4, 2002 9:40:39 PM)
? and what adjectives would NOT apply to the same experience

Venkat (Nov 4, 2002 9:41:02 PM)
I had another question about the re-applicant recommendation. Should this necessarily be from someone new? The best people who know me professionally are my present and former supervisors, both of whom I used as recommenders last year.

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:41:12 PM)
Tad - - not really that common, but that doesn't mean that you can't do it.

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:41:35 PM)
rashid--it would be optimal for you to select your immediate supervisor as one of the recommenders, but at the end of the day, you will chose who will write and obviously, we will note his/her relation to you.

PSJAMES (Nov 4, 2002 9:41:49 PM)
?Jeff, can you expand at all on opportunities assisting in research...is this common? Is there a formal process for applying for these positions? Are they difficult to come by? thanks.

Edward Lau (Nov 4, 2002 9:41:51 PM)
? How does the GSB gauge its success in recruiting the incoming classes?

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:42:03 PM)
Embeay-I can't think of anything.

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:42:06 PM)
Venkat, a re-applicant needs only one letter of recommendation. I suggest that you consider using someone new this time around, but you will not be affected negatively if you don't.

Josh (Nov 4, 2002 9:42:38 PM)
A follow-up to Rashid's question: do you look negatively upon a letter of recommendation that appears to be 'too similar' to the applicant's essay? What percentage of recommenders would you say you typically contact for follow-up information?

Optimistic (Nov 4, 2002 9:42:40 PM)
Are there any support programs or clubs for spouses or significant others at the GSB?

Venkat (Nov 4, 2002 9:42:43 PM)
Don, thanks again.

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:42:45 PM)
Edward, we tend to look at the percentage of those who enroll from those admitted. In the past nine years, that percentage has steadily increased.

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:42:56 PM)
Josh-no. However, it shouldn't appear as if the applicant wrote the recommendation.

sea (Nov 4, 2002 9:43:29 PM)
About Essay 2 this year, "You have been selected to lead a team of three people to develop a new idea. What would the members of your team have in common? How would they be different? How will you motivate the team to succeed? (750 words)" So it means I should lead another 3 people?

rashid (Nov 4, 2002 9:43:32 PM)
I guess what I was saying - if the adcom realizes I wrote my recommendation, will it count against me?

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:43:47 PM)
PSJAMES - each teacher has a TA that helps them prepare lectures and conduct administrative duties. It is up to the students to contact that professor to indicate interest. It is then up to the professor to decide on his/her TA.

FL1 (Nov 4, 2002 9:43:53 PM)
Which do you feel is more important when considering applicants, their ability to perform well in the school, or their future management potential? If the latter, do you care more about expected immediate (post grad) starting salary, or future salary?

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:43:53 PM)
Optimistic - yes there are programs for partners. We have a very active group called (imaginatively) "Partners" that helps spouse/significant others adjust to b-school. They are a very close knit group.

PSJAMES (Nov 4, 2002 9:44:09 PM)
thanks Jeff

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:44:18 PM)
rashid, it definitely will hurt your application. Coaching recommenders is one thing, but the letter they write should definitely be their own.

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:44:32 PM)
PSJAMES - no problem.

Edward Lau (Nov 4, 2002 9:44:33 PM)
? What percentage of the accepted students enroll in the program?

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:44:39 PM)
Sea- yes.

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:45:08 PM)
For everyone's information, per our normal admissions procedure, we will be verifying information in the applications of those admitted this year.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:45:11 PM)
some schools are verifying information found on applications. Is GSB doing so too?

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:45:13 PM)
sea--you will select your team members and how you were able to lead them to the objective.

sea (Nov 4, 2002 9:45:38 PM)
As I heard, due to the extremely flexible curriculum, students in Chicago seem less familiar with each other than some of other schools. Is that true? And how do you plan to improve this?

embeay (Nov 4, 2002 9:45:41 PM)
? about the evolution of GSB, how has GSB changed over the last 10 years, and what has not changed

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:46:04 PM)
embeay, I am starting my 10th year at Chicago, and while our major educational philosophy has remained the same, I think that the community spirit and networking opportunities for our students have grown stronger every year. I also believe that we are doing a better job of communicating what we are really about whether that communication is from staff, faculty, students, or alumni.

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:46:08 PM)
FL1 - to be honest I think it is both...you need to be able to perform in class which will translate to having the ability to be a future leader.

embeay (Nov 4, 2002 9:46:13 PM)
:)

PSJAMES (Nov 4, 2002 9:46:22 PM)
What are some of the key characteristics you are looking for in a potential GSB'er?

rashid (Nov 4, 2002 9:47:17 PM)
do you see what other schools receive on GMAT scores?

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:47:26 PM)
PSJAMES--People with demonstrated results in academia, at the work place and also someone with potential.

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:47:33 PM)
Sea - I'd say that's absolutely false. For a community of ~1200 people, we are a very close community. The LEAD program helps us get acclimated quickly, and the student groups also bring us together. As I mentioned before, there are social events every Thurs. and Friday night too. (often times more).

rtagal (Nov 4, 2002 9:47:52 PM)
sea - the GSB assumes that the individual knows best how to structure their own experience. If one wants to structure an experience that is heavily social, one can do that. If you want an academic experience, you can do that. I have found that every student I have met, no matter what path they have chosen for themselves, has always been friendly, helpful, and enthusiastic about the GSB community.

sea (Nov 4, 2002 9:47:58 PM)
:-)

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:47:58 PM)
rashid, we only find out where you've sent your scores beyond the GSB if you tell us.

embeay (Nov 4, 2002 9:48:03 PM)
?how about teaching methods, content structuring?

sea (Nov 4, 2002 9:48:11 PM)
That's great.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:48:55 PM)
What are the opportunities for int'l study?

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:49:08 PM)
embeay - it depends on the class. Some classes are case and some are lecture. It depends on the teachers' preferred method of teaching.

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:49:34 PM)
Linda-I had the opportunity to participate in a short term study abroad program in Brazil for 3 weeks.

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:49:42 PM)
Linda--We have exchanges with over 33 schools in the world, one of the biggest, and we have a ft staff of 4 professionals in the Int'l Dept.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:49:43 PM)
What did you do there?

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:50:00 PM)
What percentage of the students take advantage of these programs, Go?

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:50:11 PM)
I took a class. The class was entitled "Doing Business in Brazil". I truly enjoyed it!!

sea (Nov 4, 2002 9:50:14 PM)
Is there still an International MBA this year? Has it merged with the full-time program?

Venkat (Nov 4, 2002 9:50:20 PM)
Why does GSB ask for the other schools we have applied to in the application? If I feel that among the top schools two to three fit me really well and if I say so truly, will I be at a disadvantage?

jkim (Nov 4, 2002 9:50:28 PM)
on your background check -- do we need to remind those we worked for about achievements (or hours worked/week for community service) if they are getting called? not sure what kind of detail is looked into, but a major pt of my app focuses on volunteer work.

FL1 (Nov 4, 2002 9:50:32 PM)
What amount can an applicant expect to pay for rent in the area surrounding the school?

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:50:38 PM)
Linda--Approx. 50-60 students per yr participate in the exchanges.

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:51:11 PM)
Sea - there still is an IMBA program and there will continue to be an IMBA. Next year, the IMBA will start at the same time as the MBAs (they used to start one quarter earlier).

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:51:15 PM)
Venkat, we ask about other schools to which you have applied for one reason and one reason alone: to track our competition each year. That information is not looked at when a final decision is being made.

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:51:18 PM)
FL1- 1100 for a one bedroom, 700 for a two. It definitely helps to have a roommate.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:51:21 PM)
Did you do a consulting project or just attend classes (or hit the beach:-) )?

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:51:42 PM)
jkim--the call is yours--obviously if that is a big pt of your app, you may wish to take the initiative to do so to update.

hong (Nov 4, 2002 9:51:53 PM)
? I am very interested in Entrepreneur and Venture Capital Group. How does it work?

embeay (Nov 4, 2002 9:51:58 PM)
Jeff, I guess what I am asking is whether the teaching/knowledge delivery methods at GSB are the same, or more evolving/changing? unlike, say, the case method at HBS.

sea (Nov 4, 2002 9:52:01 PM)
So should I apply separately for IMBA?

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:52:03 PM)
Linda, I didn't do a consulting project in Brazil. I did go to the beach, but I was in class learning about the various areas of business in Brazil for 8 hours a day 4 days a week.

PSJAMES (Nov 4, 2002 9:52:08 PM)
Don, you mentioned that your major educational philosophy has remained the same. Would you mind commenting on some of the key aspects of this philosophy?

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:52:16 PM)
sea--no, same application.

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:52:40 PM)
PS, our educational philosophy is comprised of the following: 

1) a commitment to teaching our students the fundamentals of successful business, which we do not believe change over time
2) encouraging our students to think, press the boundaries, ask "why?"

3) help our students balance theory with practice and 4) allow students the flexibility to choose the courses that best suit their needs.

Venkat (Nov 4, 2002 9:52:44 PM)
Don, that is good to hear. Thanks.

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:53:27 PM)
embeay - whether or not it is really individualized depends on the method of the teacher. For example, most of the marketing classes are cased based, while finance is mostly lecture. Bottom line: we do not have a set standard.

sea (Nov 4, 2002 9:53:30 PM)
GO, So I have an option on the form to identify that I'm applying IMBA?

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:53:32 PM)
hong - there are many student groups on campus. The EVC group works much like the others. You become a member at the beginning of the year, and then the co-chairs (student run) coordinates professor develop programming, educational programs, and networking opportunities with the group.

jkim (Nov 4, 2002 9:53:39 PM)
as a follow-up to the background check - I worked for several years for a political org, but most of my group has left. I can provide a number of the group, but there is no one currently there who worked with me. Do I need to explain this and provide contact info?

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:54:29 PM)
SEA - you apply for the IMBA the same way you apply for the MBA program.

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:54:29 PM)
jkim - as long as you can verify that you worked there. It doesn't need to be the person you worked for.

hong (Nov 4, 2002 9:54:31 PM)
Thanks, Aaron. and for your previous help.

rtagal (Nov 4, 2002 9:54:42 PM)
embeay - I for one am glad that we have a mixture of case-based and lecture-based classes. It definitely gives different perspectives on the learning experience. I came in expecting to enjoy lecture based finance classes most, but have been pleasantly surprised that I have actually enjoyed my case based marketing and strategy cases more!

Campanario (Nov 4, 2002 9:55:02 PM)
?Jamila-Where did you study here in Brazil? Please give me more details about this Brazilian study trip.

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:55:04 PM)
In line with what Don has written, what we teach here at the GSB is NOT skills you will need everyday, but skills you will need when you have no one to turn to and no manuals to help you, critical thinking and analytical skills that will help you develop answers to problems.

sea (Nov 4, 2002 9:55:08 PM)
Go, Do you mean the Class 2005 of IMBA will begin just the same time as Full MBA?

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:55:10 PM)
rtagal, thanks for helping us out tonight!!!!!

Optimistic (Nov 4, 2002 9:55:16 PM)
Has there been a reduction in courses or change in focus since the bursting of the tech bubble? How has the current economic environment changed the entrepreneurial aspects of the GSB?

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:55:23 PM)
Campanario- I studied at FGV in Sao Paulo. The course is designed to introduce students to the different challenges facing businesses that want to do business in Brazil. We had modules on finance, marketing, legal issues, economics, etc.

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:55:27 PM)
hong - if you look on the web site for the GSB, you can gather more info about our student groups (and email a co-chair).

PSJAMES (Nov 4, 2002 9:55:41 PM)
thanks for the insightful answer Don!

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:55:41 PM)
Sea - yes.

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:55:43 PM)
Sea--Yes, same apps.

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:55:52 PM)
You're welcome PS!!

embeay (Nov 4, 2002 9:56:01 PM)
? for full time MBAs, is there any way someone can pursue an industrial/business project outside school ... like say with any of the companies in and around Chicago?

hong (Nov 4, 2002 9:56:04 PM)
Thanks, Aaron.

embeay (Nov 4, 2002 9:56:05 PM)
thanks, rtagal.

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:56:17 PM)
Optimistic - no not really - Chicago is based on basic teaching methodologies, not trends. Even with the tech burst our circ. didn't change.

Edward Lau (Nov 4, 2002 9:56:41 PM)
Students, how would you rate the GSB in regards to the having the most up to date technology now and after the new business building is finished?

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:56:55 PM)
What's new at Chicago?

sea (Nov 4, 2002 9:56:59 PM)
Thanks

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:57:08 PM)
Linda, our first year students!!! and they are great!!

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:57:37 PM)
How are this year's first-year students different from last year's? Are they less optimistic? More open to different career possibilities because of the economy?

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:57:58 PM)
Embeay - many of the classes incorporate work with outside companies. I've taken a strategy class in which we evaluated a local start up, and I'm currently in our Management Lab, a class in which 10 students serve as consultants for a firm (past clients include large investment banks, pharma companies, and an NBA basketball player!).

sea (Nov 4, 2002 9:57:59 PM)
Don, How many Chinese students enrolled in Chicago for Class 2004?

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:58:00 PM)
Linda, actually, the spirits of all our students are quite high.

hong (Nov 4, 2002 9:58:01 PM)
:-)

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:58:02 PM)
Edward - currently we have up to date technology (e.g. wireless network). I believe it will be even greater with the new building, but that doesn't mean that current students suffer in any way.

rashid (Nov 4, 2002 9:58:06 PM)
why do you think yield rates are so high (i.e. why are students at top schools only getting into an average of 1.3 schools)?

ravu (Nov 4, 2002 9:58:12 PM)
? It's pretty hard to provide contact information for the kind of voluntary work I did. Does that mean I should leave that information out of my application

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:58:22 PM)
Sea--21 Chinese students.

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:58:37 PM)
Rashid, one sec...

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 9:58:48 PM)
Go, out of how many Chinese applicants?

Paul_Bodine (Nov 4, 2002 9:58:54 PM)
Does the new building have an official name yet?

embeay (Nov 4, 2002 9:58:57 PM)
thanks Aaron

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:59:07 PM)
yes, recruiting is tough, but our Career Services team and the Dean's office have done an amazing job of keeping relationships with Corporate Recruiters.

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:59:11 PM)
Linda--we don't share that info.

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:59:12 PM)
Ravu - absolutely not. If you've had valuable volunteer work, we want to know about it.

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:59:21 PM)
Paul - no, it doesn't have an official name.

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 9:59:25 PM)
rashid, about yield rates, my sense is that applicants are pretty much a self-selecting group. They apply to the schools in which they already have a very strong interest, so that they generally enroll if offered admission.

PSJAMES (Nov 4, 2002 9:59:38 PM)
? what is the structure of the interview like? Is it generally a conversational, more laid back style or is it more of a structured Q&A type interview? And is it possible for an applicant to come across as a little too excited about the opportunity to be at the GSB??!!

embeay (Nov 4, 2002 9:59:43 PM)
?Does GSB provide a lot of opportunities in the Medical field, considering RSNA is held at Chicago every year?

sea (Nov 4, 2002 9:59:47 PM)
Thanks, go, then how many of them come directly from the Mainland?

Campanario (Nov 4, 2002 9:59:52 PM)
Jamila- Are these Brazilian classes at FGV developed exclusively for GSB students? Are there Brazilians in this MBA Class?

ravu (Nov 4, 2002 9:59:54 PM)
thanks, Aaron.

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 10:00:33 PM)
embeay--we have a handful of students doing a dual MBA and MD.

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 10:00:40 PM)
Campanario-I was the only person from the GSB in the program. There were students from all over the world in the program, including Brazil.

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 10:01:00 PM)
PSJAMES - No, your excitement is welcome. The structure of the interview is relaxed - no pressure. It is a chance for us to get to know you better.

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 10:01:02 PM)
sea--we do not share that specific of a breakdown.

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 10:01:27 PM)
We have all agreed to stay on for ten more minutes, Linda.

embeay (Nov 4, 2002 10:01:28 PM)
? would that still be a 2 year program, MBA-MD, joint?

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 10:01:46 PM)
OK. Great!

Campanario (Nov 4, 2002 10:01:56 PM)
Thanks, Jamila.

PSJAMES (Nov 4, 2002 10:01:57 PM)
thanks Jeff!

sea (Nov 4, 2002 10:02:03 PM)
yeah, great!!!

ravu (Nov 4, 2002 10:02:08 PM)
Thanks, guys.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 10:02:13 PM)
Please post your questions.

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 10:02:21 PM)
embeay--not exactly---but if you do it jointly it may cut 1-1/12 years.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 10:02:23 PM)
Thanks again Don.

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 10:02:31 PM)
No problem!!

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 10:02:41 PM)
How is Chicago responding to the scandals of the past year?

Campanario (Nov 4, 2002 10:02:51 PM)
?What do you think about the possibility of work in the US immediately after the course and w/o a visa? Is it possible or easier to receive the permission after a job offer? Is there a concrete example among you?

PSJAMES (Nov 4, 2002 10:02:55 PM)
? how is the placement in investment research?

Tad Holbie (Nov 4, 2002 10:02:59 PM)
? Could someone comment on the differences in the Finance and Analytical Finance majors?

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 10:03:13 PM)
Linda - by not having any GSB alums a part of them ! ha... ha...

hong (Nov 4, 2002 10:03:18 PM)
what percentage of perspective students are interviewed on campus by 2nd year students?

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 10:03:28 PM)
PS, the best information for your question can be found in our placement report, which is on the website.

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 10:03:29 PM)
Campanario-the program is not designed to assist in job placement.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 10:03:51 PM)
That's proactive education, Aaron.

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 10:03:58 PM)
PSJAMES--Please go to http://gsb.uchicago.edu/dynamic.asp?nNodeID=456 for all the stats in placement.

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 10:04:02 PM)
Campanario et al. - sorry, I misunderstood your question. I thought you were still referring to the international program.

hong (Nov 4, 2002 10:04:09 PM)
Thanks, Jeff

jkim (Nov 4, 2002 10:04:19 PM)
as a follow-up to ravu - I am now a bit worried about the check-up -- Wharton is doing this too. In college, I spent several summers doing volunteer work in Korea. However, I really don't see how this can be verified. Additionally, much volunteer work in my community may not have records. Should I not list this?

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 10:04:20 PM)
hong - 50 to 60% of potential students are interviewed by 2nd year students on campus.

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 10:04:23 PM)
Linda - seriously, most of the profs have always woven in ethical subject matter into their curriculum. In addition, our faculty has sponsored symposia, and have served as advisors to the government to comment on these issues.

rtagal (Nov 4, 2002 10:04:26 PM)
Finance requires four finance courses. Analytic Finance requires six courses, two of which are at a PhD like level. I came in thinking I would do Analytical Finance, but found the regular finance concentration to be more than sufficient. I would think that Analytic Finance is the closest you can get to a PhD in finance from an MBA program.

PSJAMES (Nov 4, 2002 10:04:29 PM)
? What type of jobs are graduates typically landing in Inv Research?

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 10:05:00 PM)
jkim, our purpose is to verify information that is relatively recent. If we find something that doesn't ring true in some way, we'll contact you for an explanation. Please keep in mind that we are giving all students the benefit of the doubt here and we realize that they move around.

Tad Holbie (Nov 4, 2002 10:05:01 PM)
?rtagal--who typically takes Analytic Finance? Is it aimed at certain careers?

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 10:05:23 PM)
Campanario-just a second on your question

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 10:05:31 PM)
PSJAMES - it could be anything from fixed income to asset back pricing - at all the major firms.

embeay (Nov 4, 2002 10:06:24 PM)
? By how much is the median GMAT score skewed from the mean?

Edward Lau (Nov 4, 2002 10:07:05 PM)
Anyone, if you could choose one thing about the University of Chicago GSB to improve, what would it be?

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 10:07:14 PM)
Campanario, sorry to be responding to you a little late. If you receive an offer from a firm, and do not have a visa, the firm should help you to secure your visa. At this point you do have to have one to stay in the States.

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 10:07:14 PM)
embeay - there is not much of a difference ...the range varies...the exact numbers are on our website. www.gsb.uchicago.edu

sea (Nov 4, 2002 10:07:26 PM)
Since it is a hard year for IB, if I choose it as Career goal, will I be at a disadvantage compared with other applicants?

jkim (Nov 4, 2002 10:07:59 PM)
not a PC ?, but do Asian males need higher stats? or do admitted Asian guys have higher stats?

JamilaFrenchGSB (Nov 4, 2002 10:08:04 PM)
Edward-to be honest, it is hard to come up with anything that I would like to see improved.

jeffstoneGSB (Nov 4, 2002 10:08:27 PM)
sea - no. You should do what you want. Just because something is difficult doesn't mean that you are at a disadvantage. It just means that you might have to work a little harder.

GoYoshidaGSB (Nov 4, 2002 10:08:29 PM)
jkim--no, ALL students are evaluated equally.

AaronAbrahamGSB (Nov 4, 2002 10:08:33 PM)
Edward - actually, most of us are pretty happy here. We're working on a new building with more space, the faculty has always been excellent, and we're doing pretty well on the career front (considering the tough economic climate).

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 10:09:03 PM)
Thank you again all for participating this evening. Special thanks to Don, Go, Aaron, Jamila, and Jeff for joining us this evening and to Cindy Tokumitsu and Paul Bodine for their assistance.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 10:09:11 PM)
We look forward to seeing you at future chats. Here is a list of currently scheduled chats:

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 10:09:14 PM)
Thanks to you Linda!!!

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 10:09:19 PM)
Nov. 11 - Cornell with Natilie Grinblatt, Director of Admissions, Cathy Dove, Associate Dean for the MBA Program, Dick Shafer, Associate Dean for Corporate Relations, and four second-year students; Nov. 18 -- Darden with Dawna Clarke, Director of Admissions and Darden students; Nov. 25 - UT-Austin with Matt Turner, Director of Admissions, Elissa Ellis, Assistant Dean of the MBA Program, and Ludy Cuello, President of the International MBA Student Assoc. and a co-chair of the McCombs Admissions Committee; Dec. 3 -- NYU with Julia Min.

DonMartinGSB (Nov 4, 2002 10:09:20 PM)
All the best, applicants!!!! Thanks for your interest in the GSB.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 10:09:47 PM)
Please check http://www.accepted.com/chat/schedule.aspx#mba for exact times and details.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 10:09:54 PM)
Thank you, Don!

Tad Holbie (Nov 4, 2002 10:10:10 PM)
Thanks, everyone!

Edward Lau (Nov 4, 2002 10:10:14 PM)
Thank you, all!

sea (Nov 4, 2002 10:10:17 PM)
Thanks

PSJAMES (Nov 4, 2002 10:10:21 PM)
thanks to you all for taking the time!!!

embeay (Nov 4, 2002 10:10:26 PM)
thank you very much.

ravu (Nov 4, 2002 10:10:28 PM)
Thanks Don.

hong (Nov 4, 2002 10:10:30 PM)
Thank you all for the time and help.

Guest (Nov 4, 2002 10:10:35 PM)
thanks to Don, and all the others who participated. Truly informative.

Paul_Bodine (Nov 4, 2002 10:10:37 PM)
Thank you, Chicago!

Guest (Nov 4, 2002 10:10:42 PM)
thanks, all

Campanario (Nov 4, 2002 10:10:47 PM)
Thanks Don, Go, Aaron, Jamila and Jeff!! Bye and greetings from Brazil!!!

embeay (Nov 4, 2002 10:10:49 PM)
have a nice night

rashid (Nov 4, 2002 10:11:05 PM)
Thanks all!

cindy tokumitsu (Nov 4, 2002 10:11:08 PM)
Good luck to all the applicants. And thank you, Chicago, for an informative chat.

embeay (Nov 4, 2002 10:11:10 PM)
I hope it is not freezing in windy city yet.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 10:11:22 PM)
Thanks again to all of you for coming and participating.

Linda Abraham (Nov 4, 2002 10:11:28 PM)
Good luck with your applications!