Anderson, CMU, Cornell, Darden, Indiana MBA Admissions

Anderson, CMU, Cornell, Darden, Indiana MBA Admissions

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Chat Transcript:

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 12:59:22 PM)
First I want to welcome you all to MBA Admissions for International Applicants, an Accepted.com chat. We have representatives from Anderson, Carnegie Mellon, Cornell, Darden, and Indiana here today to answer your questions. The are:

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 12:59:35 PM)
Carnegie Mellon: Laurie Stewart, Dir. of Admissions Kai Eberspaecher, MBA student from Germany. Emmanuel Manil , MBA student from France.

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 12:59:45 PM)
Cornell: Ann Richards, Assoc. Dir. of Admissions and Dir. of Financial Aid Laurie Sedgwick, Asst. Dir., International Career Advising

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 12:59:56 PM)
Darden: Dawna Clarke, Dir. of Admissions Rita Morrow, Assoc. Dir. of Admissions

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 1:00:08 PM)
Indiana: James Holmen, Dir. of Admissions and Financial Aid Laurie Stearn, Sr. Assoc. Dir. of Graduate Career Services Mustafa Dogru, Kelley student from Turkey

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 1:00:24 PM)
Anderson: Linda Baldwin, Dir. of Admissions Craig Hubbell, Assoc. Dir. of Admissions, International

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 1:00:33 PM)
Thanks to everyone for joining.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:01:16 PM)
Linda, I'm on too, since Oliver had a fire wall and could not get through. However, if anyone would like to speak with him, I will put them in touch with him. Just email me at mba@cornell.edu .

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 1:01:17 PM)
I would like to start by asking the students to provide a little information about yourselves: Your country of origin, a brief summary of your work experience, and your post-MBA goal.

Dave (Jan 7, 2004 1:02:14 PM)
(Carnegie Mellon) What is the difference between the dual degree and joint degree?

LaurieStewartCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:03:22 PM)
Dave--in the dual degree--you will actually receive 2 distinct degrees (like MBA/MSE) and in joint degree, you get a single combined degree (Master of Business Management and Software Engineering).

Rachel (Jan 7, 2004 1:03:34 PM)
Anderson: Do you have a foreign exchange program and how does it work?

danielasfeir (Jan 7, 2004 1:03:37 PM)
I would like to know whether CMU has accepted students with some years of university but not a BS degree?

Rachel (Jan 7, 2004 1:03:48 PM)
For the international students, how was the adjustment period?

Dave (Jan 7, 2004 1:03:51 PM)
(Carnegie) How can I find the details regarding “Dual Degree: Biomedical Engineering?”

KaiEberspaecherCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:04:17 PM)
Thanks, Linda. Great idea...Well, I am from Germany but I have studied in England and France. After graduating I joined a major oil company and worked in Holland and in the Netherlands. My goal after the MBA is to return to the energy industry in a general management role.

LaurieStewartCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:04:28 PM)
danielasfeir--we do require our students to hold the equivalent of a university bachelors degree.

danielasfeir (Jan 7, 2004 1:04:43 PM)
Darden, do you accept people with 11 years of work experience in the full time MBA?

LaurieStewartCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:05:06 PM)
Dave--if you send an email to me at lstewart@andrew.cmu.edu , we can have someone send you info.

CraigHubbellUCLA (Jan 7, 2004 1:05:12 PM)
Rachel, we have over 40 exchange programs with top MBA schools around the world. Most students go on exchange in the first quarter of the 2nd year of the MBA program, which means you come back at New Year's to finish up the rest of the second year. Students select which program they want to attend, and all get their 1st or 2nd pick.

DawnaClarkeDarden (Jan 7, 2004 1:05:21 PM)
Daneila, typically the average work experience is about 4 years but we have accepted many students with considerably more experience.

LaurieStewartCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:05:41 PM)
danielasfeir--that is our policy--no exceptions, sorry.

Rachel (Jan 7, 2004 1:05:45 PM)
Laurie Stearn and Laurie Swdgwick, how is recruiting going for international students?

Dave (Jan 7, 2004 1:05:51 PM)
(Carnegie) How many years do I need to finish a dual degree?

EmmanuelManilCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:05:52 PM)
Daniela, I personally have 17 years of professional experience. 11 years is just fine, but you will need at least a BA or a BS to be accepted. I have a MS. 

Rachel (Jan 7, 2004 1:06:14 PM)
To all schools, how will you view an applicant with only one year of work experience?

lauriesedgwickCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:06:21 PM)
The adjustment is a challenge, but we have ample programming and policies to help 'level the playing field.'

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 1:06:36 PM)
As a follow up to Rachel's question, are any of you trying to recruit applicants with 0-2 years of experience?

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 1:06:55 PM)
Laurie, are internationals obtaining internships and jobs in the US?

LaurieStewartCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:06:56 PM)
Dave--I think that the dual degree is 3 years long, but I will confirm that for you.

Robel (Jan 7, 2004 1:07:01 PM)
Dawna: I'm an applicant in Round 2.  My current status is pending (since DEC 10). Since I'm international I did not have an interview. I may be traveling to the US by the end of this month. Do you think it is possible to have an interview now? Is it too late now considering my current status?

DawnaClarkeDarden (Jan 7, 2004 1:07:11 PM)
Rachel, I'm answering from Darden's perspective. We highly encourage students to gain at least two years of full-time experience because of the relevance of work experience to the case method.

Rachel (Jan 7, 2004 1:07:11 PM)
Students, is there anything specific that you did in the beginning that you felt help make the adjustment easier?

Dave (Jan 7, 2004 1:07:20 PM)
(Carnegie Mellon) How many people can gain admission for such a degree per year?

danielasfeir (Jan 7, 2004 1:07:31 PM)
Dawna, do you accept students who did not have the chance to get a BS, provided they have other excellent qualifications?

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:07:33 PM)
Rachel, the quality of experience is more important to us than the quantity of experience. Ask yourself, what would not have happened had I not been part of this organization and go from there. We are looking for people who make things happen.

lauriesedgwickCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:07:49 PM)
Linda, Yes. We still have approximately 50 percent of international students finding internships in the US. It's those students however that are prepared to work hard that succeed.

JimHolmenKelley (Jan 7, 2004 1:07:56 PM)
Rachel-We consider the quality of experience, not just the length of experience. While the average is between four and five years, we always have some students with less. They typically have had some significant leadership experiences, or significant internship experiences while in school to help compensate.

tintin12 (Jan 7, 2004 1:08:15 PM)
This question is for Ann Richards Cornell: The essay 1 for the full time MBA application asks the applicant to define the greatest professional achievement and the second question asks to describe the Post-MBA goal and why Cornell.  Now I was wondering if I can describe one of my voluntary work experience as the greatest achievement. Though I consider that to be my greatest achievement it is not in a work setting. I want to write about that primarily because I think that it is my greatest achievement and also because it will give me an opportunity to tell the adcom what I am outside work. Is it ok to describe that work experience?

danielasfeir (Jan 7, 2004 1:08:27 PM)
What is it that you feel is a unique feature of your program that would attract students?

LaurieStewartCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:08:52 PM)
Rachel--Carnegie Mellon is looking for great candidates of all experience levels, including some people that may not have much post-undergraduate experience. If someone has a little less experience, we'd look for other aspects of their application to be stronger--such as goals/essays/academics, etc. 

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Jan 7, 2004 1:08:58 PM)
Rachel, it is never a matter of years of work experience rather we focus on the quality of the experience. In particular we note the impact the individual has had, the accomplishments and the perceived maturity of the candidate.

LaurieStearnKelley (Jan 7, 2004 1:09:13 PM)
Rachel--It is still very challenging as you have probably read. Given that the economy is improving, we are not seeing companies increasing the number of international students they hire. However, based on individual candidates and unique skills, some companies make exceptions. We provide programming and coaching to help international students work to find employment in this environment.

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 1:10:02 PM)
All schools, do you help international students who want to obtain jobs outside the US?

darkT (Jan 7, 2004 1:10:11 PM)
Ann Richards, Cornell: How many applicants from last year's waitlist were finally accepted?

LaurieStewartCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:10:17 PM)
Dave--we don't have a set limit on spaces for the dual degree programs--though they tend to be specialized and have only a few students each year.

AnnRichardsCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:10:17 PM)
Tintin12 - you can use the first essay to highlight your volunteer achievements, but you could also use the optional essay to provide information to the admissions committee that you couldn't fit into our required essays.

RitaMorrowDarden (Jan 7, 2004 1:10:22 PM)
Daniel - I'll jump in on Darden's behalf since I think Dawna was busy answering another question. We do not require a bachelor's degree for admission. In fact, we had an Austrian student without the bachelors graduate a couple of years ago. (He had exceptional experience as well as strong credentials in other areas.)

tintin12 (Jan 7, 2004 1:10:40 PM)
Laurie Stewart, I am a Round 1 applicant and was wondering when are the results coming out.  I know the due date is Jan 31 but will we be getting the calls before that...i.e. if we get accepted?

EmmanuelManilCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:10:43 PM)
Daniela - My criteria in selecting CMU were: high program quality, high-tech oriented school, and affordable location.

danielasfeir (Jan 7, 2004 1:10:43 PM)
Dawna, if an international applicant did not have the chance to request an interview is that a problem?

test (Jan 7, 2004 1:10:56 PM)
Laurie (CMU), when do you plan on releasing R1 decisions?

DawnaClarkeDarden (Jan 7, 2004 1:10:58 PM)
Darden is a relatively small MBA program that primarily employs the case method. It emphasizes team work and oral participation in the classroom. We feel that the benefit of utilizing the cases method is that it hones one's decision-making and analytical skills.

KaiEberspaecherCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:11:09 PM)
Daniela - I was attracted by the mixture of business and technology and the possibility to have a degree in general management with different concentrations such as entrepreneurship, finance etc..

Dave (Jan 7, 2004 1:11:26 PM)
(Carnegie Mellon) Can I select my own dual degree that is different from those the school designs?

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 1:11:48 PM)
All schools: How do you use the interview in the admissions process?

danielasfeir (Jan 7, 2004 1:12:00 PM)
At Darden, Rita, do you have international exchange programs? dual degrees?

tintin12 (Jan 7, 2004 1:12:06 PM)
Thanks Ann as that was the dilemma in my mind as the optional question seemed to be asking to describe extenuating circumstances and I was just not sure if that would be the right place to describe it.

Robel (Jan 7, 2004 1:12:08 PM)
Thanks Dawna. I appreciate your interest.

DawnaClarkeDarden (Jan 7, 2004 1:12:40 PM)
Daniela, there is still time to visit Darden for an interview. If you are not able to come, you can indicate on your application that you would be willing to do so. For international candidates, the admissions committee will evaluate your application and prescreen those candidates for alumni interviews.

LaurieStewartCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:12:46 PM)
Hi test--we are reading and working hard on our Round 1 decisions right now. Hope to begin finalizing them in the next 10 days.

JimHolmenKelley (Jan 7, 2004 1:12:47 PM)
The Kelley School offers many unique programs within the MBA including our Leadership Development Institute, our Academies, and the Kelley International Perspectives (KIPs) program. You can learn more by visiting our web site (www.kelley.indiana.edu/mba).

LaurieStearnKelley (Jan 7, 2004 1:13:19 PM)
Linda, we build relationships with organizations having contacts in students home countries. We also work with our current domestic recruiters to identify home country opportunities. We are starting an initiative to provide regionally targeted advice to job seekers using current students and alumni.

AnnRichardsCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:13:25 PM)
darkT, - I don't know the exact number of students we took off the waitlist last year.  It's fair to say that the number of students from the waitlist offered admission varies from year to year.

LaurieStewartCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:13:26 PM)
Dave--we're offering new options all the time, but it would have to be one of the options we have designed.

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 1:13:32 PM)
Kai, Emmanuel and Mustafa, could you please tell us a little about your professional backgrounds and your post-MBA goals?

danielasfeir (Jan 7, 2004 1:13:39 PM)
Thank you, Dawna. I am actually in Kinshasa with my two kids and working so I will not be able to travel soon.

MBASean (Jan 7, 2004 1:13:42 PM)
Mr. Holmen - What consulting firms recruit from Kelley?

Dave (Jan 7, 2004 1:14:01 PM)
Cornell, when students graduate from the TMO program, what degree do they have?

DawnaClarkeDarden (Jan 7, 2004 1:14:11 PM)
Regarding the question about how interviews are used in the admissions process. Darden HIGHLY recommends that applicants participate in an interview. The interview allows us to evaluate qualities that are difficult to assess on the basis of a written application such as oral communication skills and interpersonal skills.

tintin12 (Jan 7, 2004 1:14:22 PM)
Hi Laurie Stewart, when you say that you guys will be finalizing in next 10 days do you mean you would be sending them out as well?

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Jan 7, 2004 1:14:33 PM)
Linda, yes we do. International students utilize our extensive alumni database, recruitment opportunities via our Career Management Center and academic/non-academic internship/field study opportunities to link and secure employment opportunities throughout the world.

lauriesedgwickCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:14:35 PM)
Dave, an MBA degree; same as two year program.

MustafaDogruKelley (Jan 7, 2004 1:14:40 PM)
Linda, I worked for GE Lighting Europe as a Product Manager.  Now I am looking for a similar job in the US.

RitaMorrowDarden (Jan 7, 2004 1:15:12 PM)
Daniel - we do have dual degrees. Those most common are with law, engineering, and foreign affairs. We have formal exchange arrangements with 11 universities currently and a rather unique 10 day study abroad program that occurs each March (over spring break).

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 1:15:17 PM)
Mustafa, are you a second year student and did you have an internship over the summer? If so, where?

Dave (Jan 7, 2004 1:15:24 PM)
Cornell, what is the requirement of TOEFL and GMAT score for TMO? Can I take the TOEFL examination after the deadline, Jan. 15 and send this TOEFL score later.

LaurieStewartCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:15:25 PM)
tintin--we will begin releasing them via our online system in that time--and we will continue to release them till the end of the month

CraigHubbellUCLA (Jan 7, 2004 1:15:26 PM)
Danielasfeir, our program is known for instilling entrepreneurial leadership in our students, so even those who will become entrepreneurs working for others still have the same kind of opportunity-focused, broad, rapid-fire skills needed to succeed in any field. Since our program is flexible with electives for more than half of all classes, students customize their MBA to make the most of their own degree. We also stress practical applications of learning through internships, field studies, and other opportunities to interact with the vibrant L.A. business community. Plus we make sure people lead a balanced life with both fun and learning!

KaiEberspaecherCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:15:30 PM)
All - I was a Petroleum engineer with 4 1/2 years work experience, and my goal is to return to the energy industry in a general management via a finance role

Rachel (Jan 7, 2004 1:15:38 PM)
Students, was language a barrier and if so what did you do about it?

JimHolmenKelley (Jan 7, 2004 1:15:43 PM)
The interview is one more opportunity for us to get to know a candidate--and the candidate is also provided the opportunity to learn more about us. We learn more about a candidate's interest in the MBA and the Kelley School, and can assess their communication skills.

danielasfeir (Jan 7, 2004 1:16:27 PM)
Craig, do you require applicants to hold a BS or there are exceptions?

test (Jan 7, 2004 1:16:29 PM)
Natalie, does Cornell provide feedback to waitlisted students if requested?

MustafaDogruKelley (Jan 7, 2004 1:16:39 PM)
Linda: Yes, I am a second year. I got my internship in Germany last year. I found it early in the year, so I didn't look for an internship in the US. Last year 92% of my class got internships and the majority were in the US.

KaiEberspaecherCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:16:58 PM)
Rachel - not really for me... My undergrad was already in English (studied in London) and I think that's when I was broken in.  In my undergrad I took additional language tuition at the school. So that was an extra work load. At CMU, we have an orientation week for international students...

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:17:04 PM)
Daniel, we believe our connection at Cornell and all the amazing things that are happening here present unique opportunities for our students, our performance learning which is exemplified through immersions, big red ventures, big red incubator, Cayuga fund and other programs give our students a competitive advantage, and our intense and collaborative community are the qualities our students value.

EmmanuelManilCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:17:07 PM)
My background is in engineering. I have worked for different types of industries (aerospace , automobile , robotics). In my last position I was a project manager. My goal is to switch to Strategic Planning or Business Development for a global company of the high-tech industry.

AnnRichardsCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:17:26 PM)
Linda, at Cornell, we invite competitive applicants to interview. The interview is part of the overall evaluation of the application.

MustafaDogruKelley (Jan 7, 2004 1:17:31 PM)
MBASean: My roommate got a consulting job from AT Kearney in Chicago. He is from India.

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 1:17:31 PM)
Did your fellow international students have trouble getting internships, Mustafa, either in the U.S. or outside the US?

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Jan 7, 2004 1:17:34 PM)
Linda - Interviews: Yes, any candidate advocated for admit status is interviewed prior to a decision being rendered. Each year there are a few exceptions.

danielasfeir (Jan 7, 2004 1:17:49 PM)
Thank you Natalie! Do you have initiatives for women? How do you encourage women to apply?

CraigHubbellUCLA (Jan 7, 2004 1:17:59 PM)
Danielasfeir, we do require that applicants have a bachelor's degree or its equivalent from other countries. The University of California sets the equivalency standards, so for each country we can provide the specific requirements upon request.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:18:08 PM)
Dave, the TOEFL minimum is a 250 computer based, 600 paper-based. There is no GMAT minimum, but the median is 680. We need the score at the deadline.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:18:41 PM)
Test, we do offer feedback to waitlisted candidates.

Dave (Jan 7, 2004 1:18:48 PM)
Cornell, does TMO have the requirement of a minimum number of  years of work experience?

MustafaDogruKelley (Jan 7, 2004 1:18:58 PM)
Linda, it is not very easy to get an internship in the US. But the majority of my class get one here.  It very much depends on personal efforts and networking.

LaurieStewartCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:19:25 PM)
Regarding interviews: ours are by invitation after we begin reviewing the submitted application. All interviews are conducted by a member of our admissions team--either in person or sometimes by phone--we use them to help us learn more about each candidate--as well as gain insights to their interviewing and communication skills.

Rachel (Jan 7, 2004 1:19:29 PM)
To all schools, is there any advantage to applying in specific rounds? Would you discourage international applicants from applying in the last round?

DawnaClarkeDarden (Jan 7, 2004 1:20:09 PM)
Rachel, I would definitely discourage applicants from applying in the final round due to issues surrounding gaining a VISA.

KaiEberspaecherCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:20:11 PM)
Rachel - at CMU, the last round is -to my knowledge- reserved for US candidates.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:20:36 PM)
Daniela, we do have initiatives for women. Please contact Angela Noble-Grange, Director for the Office for Women and Minorities and business to find out more. The website is www.johnson.cornell.edu/owmb .

JimHolmenKelley (Jan 7, 2004 1:20:43 PM)
While we have spots in the class available through all of the rounds, I would always encourage international candidates to meet early deadlines. There are more seats available, and with the time it is taking to get visas, international students should give themselves as much time as possible!

DawnaClarkeDarden (Jan 7, 2004 1:20:46 PM)
We reserve space for applicants applying in each of the rounds. Our next round is coming up on January 14th.

EmmanuelManilCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:21:01 PM)
Rachel - I recommend that you apply before the last round. It took me time to get the visa and to relocate

LaurieStearnKelley (Jan 7, 2004 1:21:09 PM)
Sean, as am I sure you have heard, consulting was hit hard the last few years. We are slowly seeing improvement in this sector for on campus opportunities. At Kelley, we have a Management Consulting Academy that interested students can join led by faculty with significant industry experience at firms like McKinsey and BCG. Currently, AT Kearney, Deloitte Consulting, and Design Forum are consulting firms that recruit on campus. We have also seen a trend that companies are looking for internal consultants--like 3M.

lauriesedgwickCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:21:29 PM)
Rachel: We encourage international students to apply early so that there are no VISA issues, that if accepted, they can travel to the US with ease. We do reserve space for students in each round.

LaurieStewartCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:21:30 PM)
Rachel--Carnegie Mellon has 3 rounds for international candidates--the next deadline is January 15 and the last deadline is March 22 this year. There is still space in each of the rounds--so no real advantage to applying in one round over another.

AnnRichardsCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:21:39 PM)
Dave, our TMO program does not require work experience, but you should have a good idea of the field you want to enter and know how you will be able to add value to a potential employer.

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Jan 7, 2004 1:22:09 PM)
danielasfeir: Women are encouraged to apply to UCLA Anderson. Currently women make up 33% of our student body, and we would like to see more in our mix. We have implemented and participated in a number of events that feature women alumni and current students.

CraigHubbellUCLA (Jan 7, 2004 1:22:19 PM)
Rachel, we do rolling admissions, filling the class as we find good people. So as time goes on the competition for the remaining seats does get stiffer. Applying in our first two rounds is generally the best idea, since the third round and especially the fourth get more competitive. But it is more important to submit the strongest application you can, so if it has to wait for a later round that can still work out best.

Dave (Jan 7, 2004 1:22:21 PM)
Cornell, how many people can gain admission for TMO per year?

MBASean (Jan 7, 2004 1:22:36 PM)
Thanks LaurieStearn!

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:22:55 PM)
Dave, we enroll 30-60 students in the TMO program each year.

test (Jan 7, 2004 1:23:01 PM)
Natalie, what is the process to seek feedback (for waitlisted candidates); a phone conversation or via e-mail?

Rachel (Jan 7, 2004 1:23:14 PM)
Laurie Stewart, if there is no really advantage, then how come many people rush to submit their application in the first round?

Robel (Jan 7, 2004 1:23:31 PM)
Rita: About financing my MBA, could you please explain the access to loans for international students and how this relates with the I-20 form?

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:23:53 PM)
test, an initial contact is made by email and if we need to have a phone conversation, I'll let you know via email.

tintin12 (Jan 7, 2004 1:24:12 PM)
Ann (Cornell) is there an advantage of applying in the early rounds as compared to applying in the later rounds?

Dave (Jan 7, 2004 1:24:16 PM)
Cornell, can I apply for the TMO and full-time MBA at the same time?

CindyTokumitsu (Jan 7, 2004 1:24:40 PM)
Could you summarize your advice for applicants you waitlist? Do you provide feedback to waitlisted people? Do you suggest that people keep in touch, update the adcom, etc.?

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 1:24:50 PM)
Should international applicants be concerned about the ability of the adcom to interpret a foreign transcript?

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:24:58 PM)
Dave, the TMO is a full time program. You must choose the one year or two year option at application.

DawnaClarkeDarden (Jan 7, 2004 1:25:07 PM)
Robel, the best contact for you is our Director of Student Affairs, Barbara Millar. You can e-mail her at MillarB@darden.virginia.edu .

LaurieStewartCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:25:27 PM)
Rachel--I think you need to check with each school to determine what their individual process is. For us, we have space in all of the rounds and may delay someone's final decision to a later round if we aren't sure we'll have space. We recommend that you apply in whichever round you think that your application is ready--and not to rush it.

danielasfeir (Jan 7, 2004 1:25:50 PM)
Dawna, do you accept telephone interviews for students who cannot travel?

opsman (Jan 7, 2004 1:26:12 PM)
Realized there are more than one Laurie out there....Laurie Stewart, are financial decisions such as scholarships included in the admissions decision or are accepted students notified later?

DawnaClarkeDarden (Jan 7, 2004 1:26:15 PM)
All -- international applicants shouldn't worry too much about us interpreting transcripts, assuming they've been transcribed into English. We have admissions committee members who have expertise in various regions of the world.

Dave (Jan 7, 2004 1:26:20 PM)
Cornell, what are the characteristics of applicants that Cornell desires the most?

Rachel (Jan 7, 2004 1:26:42 PM)
To all schools: How do view applicants who are very young or much older then the average age?

AnnRichardsCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:26:46 PM)
tintin12 - I think the advantage in an early application is the early decision. The applicant will have more time to finalize their enrollment decision.

LaurieStewartCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:27:00 PM)
Hi opsmans--yes, many students will receive scholarship notifications with their admission letter. Some scholarships may be awarded later.

JimHolmenKelley (Jan 7, 2004 1:27:05 PM)
Cindy--the admissions staff knows you are truly interested! If you have new information, share it with them. When I make waitlist decisions, and I am deciding between two essentially equal candidates, the one who has stayed in touch and helped us get to know him or her will usually come out ahead.

CraigHubbellUCLA (Jan 7, 2004 1:27:07 PM)
Linda, on transcripts, we ask that all international applicants provide a certified translation of their transcript for our evaluation. We always judge these records in the context of the country, using their own grading system and knowing the rigor of the different undergrad schools.

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Jan 7, 2004 1:27:09 PM)
danielafeir - Craig responded to that question previously. Yes, we have admitted students without a BS however this is more of an exception. Each exception is very individualized hence there is a different array of qualities that are sought. In some instances outstanding work experiences, excellent leadership profile, strong recommendations, exceptional GMAT performance and strong essays can make a compelling case to grant an exception.

tintin12 (Jan 7, 2004 1:27:24 PM)
Thanks Ann!

RitaMorrowDarden (Jan 7, 2004 1:27:33 PM)
Robel- Our financial aid officer would certainly be a better source of complete information on your aid question - Larry Mueller, MuellerL@darden.virginia  and our Director of student affairs, Barbara Millar on the I-20 MillarB@darden.virginia . However, I can tell you that there are merit scholarships available for international students. We also have a Gate Loan program (backed by Darden's private foundation) for which international students qualify. This loan can cover up to the full amount of tuition and fees.

DawnaClarkeDarden (Jan 7, 2004 1:27:40 PM)
Daniela, we'll only arrange a telephone interview if a) the candidate hasn't come for an interview at Darden b) there aren't any alumni interviewers in your area c) your application has been prescreened by the admissions committee.

EmmanuelManilCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:28:49 PM)
Rachel - if you are working and obliged to resign, you need to consider the notice you have to give to your employer in selecting the best round. I had a 3-month notice to give. This explains why I had to apply early.

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 1:28:51 PM)
Anyone else want to respond to Cindy's question about the wait list?

KaiEberspaecherCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:29:08 PM)
Rachel - at CMU we have a good mix of people some very young and some a bit more mature with more experience. For me, it is the diversity that counts. The average age is around 28 with about 4 years experience.

lauriesedgwickCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:29:10 PM)
Rachel, Cornell looks primarily at the quality of work/professional experience - leadership and other characteristics, not age.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:29:28 PM)
Dave, we look for those who are going to succeed in our program academically, who have shown demonstrated examples of leadership, team skills, analytical skills, intellectual curiosity. We look for people who have vision and can rally their team around their vision, implement the vision and add value to the organization by getting results. We are also looking for candidates who are focused on both their long and short term goals.

Rachel (Jan 7, 2004 1:30:05 PM)
How can one prepare for the interview?

CindyTokumitsu (Jan 7, 2004 1:30:15 PM)
Thank you, Jim. That's helpful!

danielasfeir (Jan 7, 2004 1:31:03 PM)
Dawna, how long does it take for an interview decision from the day the application is complete?

Dave (Jan 7, 2004 1:31:20 PM)
Cornell, what is the difference between immersion and internship?

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 1:31:42 PM)
Students, what unique aspects of your program appeal to you as an international applicant?

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Jan 7, 2004 1:31:44 PM)
Cindy - we maintain a waitlist which is periodically reviewed, typically prior to our published decision mailing deadline date. We encourage waitlisted candidates who have not interviewed to request an interview either on campus or with an alumnus/na in their local area. Additional letters are not necessary. Should there be additional information regarding academic performance or job changes we would appreciate an update(s).

JimHolmenKelley (Jan 7, 2004 1:31:48 PM)
Rachel--completing your application is the best place to start. The self-reflection and preparation required in writing your essays and putting together your resume will be great preparation. Also giving careful thought to your long and short term professional goals.

LaurieStewartCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:31:52 PM)
Cindy--Carnegie Mellon reevaluates our waiting list with each subsequent admission round. We want to know of any new information that has bearing on the application such as employment updates, new test scores, references, etc. It is helpful if the candidate stays in contact with us too, though we aren't typically able to provide any individualized feedback. Many candidates tend to know what area(s) they could strengthen in their application.

KaiEberspaecherCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:32:31 PM)
Rachel - I prepared by going over my essays and resume. It is important to make a story of where you come from and where you want to go...

CraigHubbellUCLA (Jan 7, 2004 1:32:35 PM)
Rachel, the best preparation for an interview is just to know yourself, your history and your goals. We try to make it a casual conversation, just to get to know you a little as a person to "flesh out" the application info we have on paper. So the more relaxed and open you are, and the more you can share on your focus and distinctive achievements, the more compelling the interview will be.

lauriesedgwickCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:32:54 PM)
Dave, the immersion programs or Performance Learning Programs are academic experiences during the school year; usually comprised of academics paired with experiential learning. Internships take place (generally) during the summer and are strictly work experience (where usually a salary is associated).

AnnRichardsCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:33:07 PM)
Rachel to prepare for an interview you should know about the school you are visiting - talk to alumni, students, read the schools website or view book, know why you are considering an MBA and what your goals and aspirations are. You should also be familiar with current business events, read the Wall St. Journal and/or other business publications

CindyTokumitsu (Jan 7, 2004 1:33:10 PM)
Thank you everyone -- there are a lot of similarities in approaches, but some subtle and important differences too.

RitaMorrowDarden (Jan 7, 2004 1:33:10 PM)
Daniel- Dawna's system just went down, so I'll respond. If your application was already in and complete and you're just finishing up the process with the interview, you should have your response within a couple of weeks. (Your application needs to be represented at an Admissions Committee meeting.)

test (Jan 7, 2004 1:33:14 PM)
Natalie, can I arrange for a phone conversation with you seeking feedback on my waitlist or does the AdCom initiate the feedback process?

LaurieStewartCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:33:15 PM)
Rachel--I'd echo what Jim said, but add that it is also helpful to really have a clear picture of how that individual school is going to help you meet those long/short term goals.

Dave (Jan 7, 2004 1:33:30 PM)
Cornell, does TMO have opportunities for internships or immersion?

MustafaDogruKelley (Jan 7, 2004 1:33:45 PM)
Linda: I like this area (Bloomington). I lived in other parts of US too and find the people here very friendly. Also, the professors are extremely accessible.

tintin12 (Jan 7, 2004 1:33:47 PM)
Laurie (CMU) how will you guys be notifying the applicants of your decision?  I mean will you be sending emails or do we have to check the status online?  I am assuming that you will be notifying accepted applicants as the decisions are made, will you be doing the same for the rejected applicants?

Rachel (Jan 7, 2004 1:34:24 PM)
What do you mean by make a story, Kai? I assume you mean to distinguish yourself from the average applicant?

EmmanuelManilCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:35:02 PM)
Rachel - Having a clear objective will help you not only for the interview but also during the program to select your elective and in your job search.

LaurieStewartCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:35:15 PM)
tintin--we will be notifying everyone by email when their decision is available for viewing online and we will be publishing them as we finalize them.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:35:16 PM)
Dave, there are no formal immersions or internships with the TMO program, but some of our resourceful students have used the breaks for internship (we encourage this). Our breaks are quite lengthy. All the immersion classes are taught as electives, but the practicum is not.

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 1:35:26 PM)
For the adcom members, when your looking at different applications, and the numbers are competitive, what distinguishes an application that is accepted from one that is rejected?

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:35:39 PM)
test, you should initiate the feedback.

Dave (Jan 7, 2004 1:36:32 PM)
Cornell, can I take the TOEFL as of Jan. 15?

DawnaClarkeDarden (Jan 7, 2004 1:36:46 PM)
At Darden, a candidate who has had a strong interview can be a distinguishing characteristic. In other cases, a candidate's letters of recommendation or essays can be the deciding factor. I highly encourage applicants to interview if at all possible.

lauriesedgwickCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:37:17 PM)
Dave you must take the TOEFL prior to the application deadline.

JimHolmenKelley (Jan 7, 2004 1:37:28 PM)
Linda, looking beyond the numbers, we are assessing fit. Are they a good fit for the Kelley School? We want students who not only have what it takes to be successful, but also have something to contribute. What can their classmates learn from them as they move through the program together?

Rachel (Jan 7, 2004 1:37:34 PM)
Students, what surprised you most about B-school? Is the work load what you expect?

KaiEberspaecherCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:37:38 PM)
Rachel - in your application, you have to have a strategy or story, where you come from and where you would like to go. Obviously you would like to highlight your skills that distinguish you from the rest of the pack but also where you can grow as a person. So your application, resume and interview should all come together and tell a story about yourself; where you come from and also where you would like to go to. Hope that helps...

EmmanuelManilCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:38:19 PM)
Rachel - the work load is way above what I expected. 

LaurieStewartCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:38:23 PM)
Linda--I think with strong numbers, an application can stand out when we really see a strong fit and interest in Carnegie Mellon's MBA program.

Rachel (Jan 7, 2004 1:38:30 PM)
Thanks Kai, that explains it really well!

AnnRichardsCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:39:01 PM)
Linda, the unique personal and professional qualities and experiences of the candidate will help that candidate stand out.

KaiEberspaecherCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:39:02 PM)
Rachel - Agree with Emmanuel completely, but don't be scared we survive.

Rachel (Jan 7, 2004 1:39:07 PM)
Emmanuel, what did you expect and why do you think it is so much more work then that?

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 1:39:50 PM)
Students, what do you wish you would have done before starting your MBA that would have made the beginning/transition easier? Did you do anything especially effective that helped you?

Dave (Jan 7, 2004 1:40:06 PM)
Cornell, can I apply for TMO on March 15, if I am a international student?

MustafaDogruKelley (Jan 7, 2004 1:40:11 PM)
Rachel, the workload is pretty heavy. One of the things you learn here is better time management. There are also many opportunities for extracurricular activities. I find B-school more diverse than I thought.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:40:19 PM)
Dave, March 1 is the final deadline.

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 1:41:36 PM)
Adcom members, how do you view applications from applicants who had previously declined an offer of admission from you?

KaiEberspaecherCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:42:07 PM)
Linda - I think I would have liked to take an accounting and an economics evening class...just to have a head start on core classes.

JimHolmenKelley (Jan 7, 2004 1:42:18 PM)
Linda, it all depends on what they have done since we offered them admission.

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 1:42:20 PM)
Kai, that is a great suggestion.

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Jan 7, 2004 1:42:23 PM)
Linda - the application review process is comprehensive and goes far beyond the numbers. We are interested in the leadership qualities, initiative and commitment that the candidate has had to academics, work and life experiences. The breadth of experiences and the match with our offerings are also important elements in our decision to admit.

EmmanuelManilCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:42:37 PM)
Rachel - I thought I could have some time for my family. The beginning of the program was really hard and did not allow me to do anything except work. After a few months, you get more organized and you learn not to waste time. But you have to realize that working till 2 or 3 AM is very frequent.

MustafaDogruKelley (Jan 7, 2004 1:42:53 PM)
Linda, I have lived and traveled in different countries before coming here. So it was not a big change. Also, there will be an orientation program that fits everyone's need. This program is designed in a way assuming you might have never been exposed to a different environment before.

DawnaClarkeDarden (Jan 7, 2004 1:42:57 PM)
Linda, it depends on the circumstances. In many instances, candidates had a really good reason for deciding not to attend b-school for a year (eg: job opportunity). We are flexible at Darden with regards to granting deferred admission in those cases.

Rachel (Jan 7, 2004 1:43:03 PM)
Mustafa, what extracurricular activities are you involved in? Is that where you really got to know your fellow students?

b2f (Jan 7, 2004 1:43:25 PM)
LaurieStewartCMU: By what percent are the applications down this year?

LaurieStewartCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:43:44 PM)
Linda--doesn't happen that often because we do offer deferrals in some circumstances--but if someone reapplies, they'd need to compete against the new application pool and we'd need to know what they've been doing since their first application

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:44:10 PM)
Linda, it does depends on that individuals situation. It's not looked on negatively.

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 1:44:13 PM)
For Laurie Sedgewick and Laurie Stearn, do you have suggestions for applicants of things they can do before they start b-school that will help their internship and job search?

tintin12 (Jan 7, 2004 1:44:46 PM)
Linda UCLA, since you said that admissions are rolling at UCLA, will it be too late to apply in the Jan. 29 deadline?

Rachel (Jan 7, 2004 1:44:52 PM)
Emmanuel, so when do you spend time with your family? Is there a partners club that you are part of?

MustafaDogruKelley (Jan 7, 2004 1:44:58 PM)
I have leadership roles in different clubs, such as International Business Society and International Student Advisory Board. I am also leading a trip to Turkey with 30 MBA students to visit top CEOs and politicians in the country.

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 1:45:23 PM)
Impressive, Mustafa.

Jack (Jan 7, 2004 1:45:29 PM)
CornellAdCom: Are you still sending interview invitations for Priority 1 applicants?

lauriesedgwickCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:45:42 PM)
Linda et al, Yes! First and foremost, do as much as you can to figure out what you want to do post-MBA. There are great resources available. Start with CareerLeader and then informational interviews with individuals in the professions you think you're interested in. Things happen VERY fast at B-school and it's best if you have a direction coming in.

MustafaDogruKelley (Jan 7, 2004 1:46:29 PM)
Rachel: In addition to my previous answer, you don't really need to be part of a club to meet people. Bloomington is not a big city. You will spend most of your time with your classmates

CraigHubbellUCLA (Jan 7, 2004 1:46:39 PM)
Linda, on reapplications, we are always interested to see how the candidate has evolved since the last time. Asking us for feedback on why the first application was unsuccessful makes it easier for the candidate to directly address our areas of concern. Those re-applicants who show pro-active improvement are always interesting, because we can see they are serious about making their b-school and career dreams come true. And those who learn more about our school to show their enthusiasm for our specific program are often the most compelling candidates the second time around.

AnnRichardsCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:46:51 PM)
Jack, we've completed the priority round. However, we are still reviewing files and inviting candidates in from Round 1 to interview.

lauriesedgwickCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:46:53 PM)
CareerLeader can be found on GMAC website. Then, once students arrive at Cornell we do some programming around using the CareerLeader results. Admitted students are sent CareerLeader passwords before they arrive on campus.

LaurieStearnKelley (Jan 7, 2004 1:47:23 PM)
Linda, I echo what Laurie from Cornell said. What we have also seen is that relationships and relationship management are critical for success in a US or home country job search. So, be sure to continue to build an maintain a personal network that you can tap into.

Rachel (Jan 7, 2004 1:47:24 PM)
Adcom members, what is the most interesting essay that you received?

LaurieStewartCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:47:45 PM)
b2f--our biggest application volume typically comes January 15. Our applications were down at our last deadline (November 10) to a level that compares with 2001. We had volume increases in 2002-03. If you visit our MBA online community at http://web.gsia.cmu.edu/mba/onlinecommunity , we'll have up to the minute info on Round 2 after that deadline.

EmmanuelManilCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:47:48 PM)
Rachel - I have managed to dedicate a couple of hours with my family every Sunday. The program is also organized in Minis (a mini is a 7-week cycle at the end of which you have exams followed by a break). I take advantage of the breaks between each mini to catch up with my family.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:48:39 PM)
Rachel, the essays which give examples and tell compelling stories are the ones I find most interesting.

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 1:49:02 PM)
Do you have advice for reapplicants to your schools?

AnnRichardsCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:49:42 PM)
Reapplicants should make sure to include information on how they have strengthened their application.

DawnaClarkeDarden (Jan 7, 2004 1:49:51 PM)
Rachel, the best essays are those that are sincere. So for example, if you are funny, don't be afraid to incorporate your humor. If you are proud of balance in your life, be sure to incorporate personal as well as professional accomplishments and facets of your life that are important to you. Don't use dictionary definitions or quotes from others (a common mistake).

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Jan 7, 2004 1:50:04 PM)
tintin 12- it is not too late to apply. We have two more deadlines: January 29th and April 14th. Quality candidates can find a place in the Class of 2006 even if they are not able to complete their application until April 14th. We always admit candidates from each round, just fewer as time goes by.

DawnaClarkeDarden (Jan 7, 2004 1:50:41 PM)
My advice for reapplicants is to contact the admissions committee and ask for feedback on your strengths and weaknesses so you know what areas can be improved upon for the next cycle.

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 1:51:35 PM)
Students, what advice would you give an MBA student moving to the US and starting an MBA program? What did you wish you would have known before you arrived?

AnnRichardsCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:52:32 PM)
Jack, we'll be extending invitations to interview to Round 1 applicants up until January 23, so don't panic if you haven't heard from us yet.

b2f (Jan 7, 2004 1:53:27 PM)
AnnRichardsCornell:  Since the Cornell essays ask mainly for professional experiences, would a recommendation from my non-work activity be welcomed?

CraigHubbellUCLA (Jan 7, 2004 1:53:35 PM)
Rachel, the best essays are those which clearly and succinctly lay out the challenges that the applicant has faced, and how their strong focused action helped them rise to meet those challenges. And as Dawna said, it is important to be yourself and show how you are distinctive from others who may share your background. A compelling bridge from past achievement towards clear future goals helps, especially with specific details showing how features of our school can readily help you get there.

KaiEberspaecherCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:53:39 PM)
Linda - a Social Security Number is really, really important. I am glad that I arrived for the program a few weeks early to get all of that organized.

EmmanuelManilCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:53:47 PM)
Linda, My advice would be that you take some time to settle and rest before the program starts.

MustafaDogruKelley (Jan 7, 2004 1:55:16 PM)
Linda, there's nothing I would specifically recommend. They just have to be ready to work hard and to meet with very smart people from all around the world. It is a great learning experience.

Rachel (Jan 7, 2004 1:56:24 PM)
Was it a bit intimidating being a foreign student and having a different native language?

AnnRichardsCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:56:35 PM)
b2f, we would like to see a recommendation from someone who can assess your professional accomplishments and contributions. If you feel that information on your strengths could be addressed by a non-work recommender, that would be fine. My recommendation would be to provide 2 work related recommendations and a supplemental letter from a non-work experience.

tintin12 (Jan 7, 2004 1:56:36 PM)
Thanks Linda-UCLA; your information is helpful. A popular belief about UCLA is that there is lot of focus on the extra-curricular activities. I have decent community experience but I don't have other fancy/special things. So this keeps me from applying to UCLA. Can you please clarify what kind of students constitute class at UCLA?

EmmanuelManilCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:56:45 PM)
Rachel - the CMU MBA is a small community (240 students only). Students are very supportive and professors are very accessible.

MustafaDogruKelley (Jan 7, 2004 1:57:46 PM)
Rachel, you will not be the only foreigner. 30% of the student body is international in most MBA programs. I also personally find Midwesterners very open and friendly.

Robel (Jan 7, 2004 1:57:46 PM)
Students: What are your expectations for internships this year? Please tell us about your scenario so far... Thanks.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:57:59 PM)
All- Oliver Wunde, the student from Cornell who wanted to be on the chat, but was blocked by a firewall at Goldman Sachs, indicated you could email him at mw266@cornell.edu  if you have any questions.

EmmanuelManilCMU (Jan 7, 2004 1:58:27 PM)
Rachel - I had an experience of expatriation before, therefore I was not lost nor intimidated.

b2f (Jan 7, 2004 1:58:58 PM)
Thanks Ann  But the online application does not have any options to add a third recommender? Should the third recommendation be mailed to Cornell?

MustafaDogruKelley (Jan 7, 2004 1:59:09 PM)
Robel, I already had my internship last year. Your class would probably have an easier time as there are signs that economy is picking up.

AnnRichardsCornell (Jan 7, 2004 1:59:36 PM)
b2f, yes, you can mail the additional letter of recommendation.

Rachel (Jan 7, 2004 2:00:24 PM)
Adcom members, how do you view an extra LOR?

danielasfeir (Jan 7, 2004 2:00:26 PM)
Thank you all so much for your answers! This was very helpful and interesting. Thank you Linda for hosting this chat.

KaiEberspaecherCMU (Jan 7, 2004 2:00:34 PM)
Robel - I have looked at a few different places/industries: banking, consulting and entrepreneurship.

SN_10 (Jan 7, 2004 2:00:49 PM)
Ann, what percent of applicants are you inviting for interviews and what percent of those are you admitting?

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Jan 7, 2004 2:01:01 PM)
Rachel one is fine...5 LORs are not.

LaurieStewartCMU (Jan 7, 2004 2:01:16 PM)
Rachel--we only require 2, but it can be helpful to have an additional one if it gives insight to some other aspect of the applicants candidacy.

JimHolmenKelley (Jan 7, 2004 2:01:28 PM)
Rachel, make sure the additional letter adds a new or additional perspective. We'll read it, but additional letters aren't really necessary.

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 2:01:44 PM)
Thank you again all for participating this evening. Special thanks to all our special guests: Linda and Craig from UCLA Anderson; Laurie and Kai from CMU; Ann, Laurie, Natalie, and Oliver (in absentia) from Cornell; Dawna and Rita from Darden; Jim, Laurie, and Mustafa from Indiana.

DawnaClarkeDarden (Jan 7, 2004 2:01:48 PM)
I agree with Jim, only submit an additional one if it adds something new.

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 2:01:52 PM)
We look forward to seeing you at future chats.  Please check http://www.accepted.com/chat/schedule.htm#mba for details.

DawnaClarkeDarden (Jan 7, 2004 2:02:01 PM)
Thank you too Linda and everyone for participating!

SN_10 (Jan 7, 2004 2:02:04 PM)
Laurie, does an LOR from a GSIA alumnus help the application?

MustafaDogruKelley (Jan 7, 2004 2:02:13 PM)
Thank You, Linda.

Rachel (Jan 7, 2004 2:02:13 PM)
Thank you so much to all the adcom members and students for answering all the questions!!!

KaiEberspaecherCMU (Jan 7, 2004 2:02:19 PM)
Thanks Linda...

tintin12 (Jan 7, 2004 2:02:31 PM)
Thanks Linda.

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 2:02:33 PM)
You're welcome. Thanks for coming.

CraigHubbellUCLA (Jan 7, 2004 2:02:36 PM)
Rachel, we hope that applicants will follow our request and only submit two, preferably from supervisors who help to make the case for what makes you special. If you have an additional letter that adds something special it can be worth sending, but inundating committees with repetitive letters is counter-productive.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Jan 7, 2004 2:02:38 PM)
Thank you Linda. Thank you candidates!

LaurieStearnKelley (Jan 7, 2004 2:02:49 PM)
Linda, thanks for your great moderating! We wish each of you the best of luck in your business school search!

EmmanuelManilCMU (Jan 7, 2004 2:02:49 PM)
Robel - I focused my internship search on Corporate Finance. There are many offers in this area. I am quite confident I will find something that fits my objective.

JimHolmenKelley (Jan 7, 2004 2:02:50 PM)
Thanks all. Feel free to contact me by e-mail if you have any additional questions about the Kelley MBA Program at Indiana University.

JimHolmenKelley (Jan 7, 2004 2:02:58 PM)
jholmen@indiana.edu

Linda Abraham (Jan 7, 2004 2:03:00 PM)
Good luck with your applications!

AnnRichardsCornell (Jan 7, 2004 2:03:02 PM)
SN_10 - we're interviewing about 30% of our applicants. At this point in time, it's too early to calculate accurately the percentage of admits from those candidates interviewed.

LaurieStewartCMU (Jan 7, 2004 2:03:39 PM)
SN_10, we welcome references from our alumni but it isn't common for applicants to have them.

CraigHubbellUCLA (Jan 7, 2004 2:03:59 PM)
Thank you to all participants! Please refer to our website at www.anderson.ucla.edu  for further info, or contact us anytime at mba.admissions@anderson.ucla.edu .

Bonnie (Jan 7, 2004 2:04:05 PM)
Laurie, what is the requirement of TOFEL and GMAT score for an MBA?

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Jan 7, 2004 2:04:11 PM)
tintin 12 - students applying to UCLA Anderson typically have between 3-5 involvements with 2-3 leadership roles in these involvements. The number is of involvements is not the important factor rather the leadership roles which often indicated the ability to organize, delegate, communicate and motivate others are the key elements that we focus on. If there are reasons why you have not engaged in XCs then we would expect you to inform us via the optional essay. Again, XCs are only one element in our comprehensive assessment.

LaurieStewartCMU (Jan 7, 2004 2:04:15 PM)
Thanks very much Linda and good luck everyone with your applications. Feel free to email me if you have more questions on Carnegie Mellon at lstewart@andrew.cmu.edu .

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Jan 7, 2004 2:04:23 PM)
Logging out to read your applications...mba@cornell.edu .

AnnRichardsCornell (Jan 7, 2004 2:04:59 PM)
Thanks everyone. Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions. mba@cornell.edu .

LaurieStewartCMU (Jan 7, 2004 2:05:43 PM)
Bonnie--we like to see 600 paper-based test on TOEFL or 250 computer-based test. No specific minimum on GMAT, but you can find our class profile here http://web.gsia.cmu.edu/default.aspx?id=141605 .

MustafaDogruKelley (Jan 7, 2004 2:05:55 PM)
I would be happy to answer questions about Kelley. My email is mdogru@indiana.edu .

LaurieStewartCMU (Jan 7, 2004 2:06:15 PM)
Thanks and good luck all.

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room