2004 MIT/Sloan MBA Admissions Chat with Rod Garcia

2004 MIT/Sloan MBA Admissions Chat with Rod Garcia

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Chat Transcript:

Linda Abraham (Jan 8, 2004 12:57:41 PM)
First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com's MIT admissions chat.

Linda Abraham (Jan 8, 2004 12:58:12 PM)
I also want to welcome Rod Garcia, Director of MBA Admissions; Jon McLaughlin, Assistant Director of MBA Admissions; Sergio Gongora, a second-year student from Spain; and Frederic Zussa, a student from France, and Niraj Parekh, from India.

Linda Abraham (Jan 8, 2004 12:58:24 PM)
Thanks to everyone for joining.

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 12:58:38 PM)
Our pleasure.

FredericZussaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 12:59:18 PM)
Hi everyone! My name is Frederic. I am from France. I am a first year student here at MIT Sloan and prior to starting the MBA program, I worked for 7 years, first as a technology consultant for a large consulting firm in the Silicon Valley and in Europe. I then helped former colleagues start a new High Tech venture from the ground up.

SergioGongoraMIT (Jan 8, 2004 12:59:46 PM)
I am a first year student. I worked for Deloitte (2 years) and Telefonica (3 years) in Spain, Argentina and US.  My main areas of knowledge are financial sector and Telecom (mainly eBusiness).

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:00:10 PM)
I'm Niraj Parekh - a second year at Sloan.  Prior to Sloan I did business development for Citigroup's global consumer bank. After Sloan, I am considering an assignment with McKinsey's BTO in NYC. In my second year, I was a TA for the first year Microeconomics course.

Linda Abraham (Jan 8, 2004 1:00:16 PM)
What do you want to do after you graduate?

Kodak_mile (Jan 8, 2004 1:00:30 PM)
When will the R1 decisions be posted (I know the official date is Jan. 12th)?

jcon (Jan 8, 2004 1:00:34 PM)
To start, how many applications were submitted in Round 1? Is the number down from last year?  What percent were interviewed?

andreak (Jan 8, 2004 1:00:55 PM)
How important is work experience?  If you are interested in applying directly from college, are you at a major disadvantage?

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:00:57 PM)
Kodak, we will post them on the 12th.

r1er (Jan 8, 2004 1:01:06 PM)
Hi Rod; with the R1 deadline coming up next Monday, could you please explain how the admission results will be communicated to the applicants this year?

SergioGongoraMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:01:18 PM)
Linda -- I would like to work for a strategic consulting firm mainly in the UK or US for at least a couple of years.

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:01:39 PM)
For Round 1, we had under 1,000 applications, down by roughly a 1/3 from the same period last year. We interviewed roughly 40% of the Round 1 applicant pool.

JoshNYC (Jan 8, 2004 1:01:44 PM)
Current MIT students, what differentiated MIT for you from the other top schools?

FredericZussaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:02:25 PM)
Linda, as far as my career objectives after school, my goal is to join a leadership rotational program in a global organization.  I am very interested by global issues, international management but also entrepreneurship and innovation. That's why I came to MIT Sloan.

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:02:44 PM)
andreak--work experience is important...but we don't have minimums and we have seen cases where undergrad experience (internships, community service, time off or working part time during school) has allowed us enough info to admit.  Not to sugar coat it...it's rare to get in right out of undergrad, but a few do every year. We will also give feedback on your application if you apply right out of undergrad and don't get in.

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:03:12 PM)
r1er:  They will be communicated online. First you will receive an email from MIT Sloan saying that your decision is ready and then you will be directed to your ApplyYourself online application for the decision letter.

surfgirl (Jan 8, 2004 1:04:15 PM)
Following up on R1er, will there be phone calls (the day before) like last year?

Sami Najafi-Asadolahi (Jan 8, 2004 1:04:48 PM)
Hi Rod, how many applicants do you want to accept each round?

FredericZussaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:04:55 PM)
JohnNYC, many things differentiate MIT Sloan from other top business school. As far as I am concerned, my top reasons for joining MIT Sloan was the intellectual rigor of the program combined with innovation, the small size of the class, the reputation of the faculty and the outstanding research.  Also, the close relationships with the overall university and its location in Boston, a very active cluster in High-Tech, Bio-Tech but also Finance.

JOSITO (Jan 8, 2004 1:05:27 PM)
Hi Rod. I am a Round 1 applicant from Spain.  I would like to know if Round 1 applicants should expect invites to interview until the decision day, that is to say, January 12?

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:05:27 PM)
Sami--(not rod, sorry :) ) We usually try to draw half the class from each round.

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:05:47 PM)
SurfGirl: We don't promise calling you, but if we get the decision done early, we might.

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:06:14 PM)
Josito:  There might be a handful of invites that will go out between now and next Monday.

Soumala (Jan 8, 2004 1:06:59 PM)
Rod, what are you typically looking for in the cover letter?

Linda Abraham (Jan 8, 2004 1:07:42 PM)
For Sergio, Frederic, and Niraj:  What aspect of the Sloan program do you like best? Least?

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:09:33 PM)
vctrack--with a few exceptions (see above for undergrad) we do not give feedback on applications.  One reason (aside from staffing concerns) for not giving structured feedback sessions is that there is so rarely a "key" to why or why not.

brisbane (Jan 8, 2004 1:10:54 PM)
Some people say Round 2 is more difficult to get into then R1.  Is this true?

FredericZussaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:10:55 PM)
What I like the most about the program is its integrated approach to business education.  Some programs focus on either leadership, finance, marketing, etc... at MIT Sloan, we go in depth in each one of them but as importantly, we practice putting them together.  The First Year Challenge introduced this year is a perfect example of this integrated approach.

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:11:01 PM)
Soumala: The cover letter is no different from a business cover letter.  You should use it to convey your qualification and interests.

Sami Najafi-Asadolahi (Jan 8, 2004 1:11:20 PM)
Is there a sort of preliminary filter in the admission process like Yes/Maybe/No and then only the first category is really thoroughly read?

Soumala (Jan 8, 2004 1:11:34 PM)
Are Indian IT professionals evaluated against the similar demographic pool?

andreak (Jan 8, 2004 1:11:50 PM)
If you apply straight out of school and get rejected, will that hurt any future chances of getting in?

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:11:52 PM)
In addition to great academics and faculty, I really love the culture at Sloan.  The camaraderie and support of the class really makes this a conducive environment to learn and experiment.  It's also a really fun place with a lot of social activities where everyone gets involved.

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:11:59 PM)
Brisbane: statistically speaking yes it's harder to get in because there are more people who apply in the second round but fewer seats during that round.

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:12:13 PM)
Sami--no preliminary filters.  All applications are read thoroughly in there entirety.

SergioGongoraMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:12:20 PM)
Linda -- I like very much the SIP experience. You have the possibility to be involved in a great number of leadership and research seminars. On the one hand, professors explain to students their current research activities in diverse areas (i.e. the culture applied to economics) and on the other hand students are involved in leadership activities (i.e. a real interactive game such as the Bosnian Peacekeeping Force).  It is really an exceptional opportunity!

Sami Najafi-Asadolahi (Jan 8, 2004 1:12:35 PM)
Rod, did you experience any problems last year with the accepted foreign applicants’ ability to obtain visas?

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:13:15 PM)
andreak--No it won't hurt at all if you apply straight out of school, get rejected and apply later on. Promise

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:14:13 PM)
Maker--You'd have to go to LFM admissions for those numbers, but I don't think they make them public until after their round.

Linda Abraham (Jan 8, 2004 1:14:45 PM)
Sergio, what is SIP?

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:15:20 PM)
Soumala: No, your application is evaluated against a batch of applications categorized by geographic region because of our interview schedule. So, if you are an Indian IT professional living in California, your application is read with that group.

akai (Jan 8, 2004 1:15:23 PM)
MITers, among the top schools, I found that Sloan has the highest percentage of international students. Does Sloan intend to achieve it or it happens to be that way?   Thanks!

akai (Jan 8, 2004 1:16:09 PM)
For the students, how do you view the interaction between international and American classmates?

KBED (Jan 8, 2004 1:16:40 PM)
Rod - Is there an emphasis this year on attracting younger applicants?  If so, are older applicants at a disadvantage?

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:17:03 PM)
Sami: no filter.

MAKER (Jan 8, 2004 1:17:04 PM)
Jon, you mean the LFM admission officer reviewed the application first, then the MBA admission officer?

FredericZussaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:17:20 PM)
akai, I am not sure if it is done on purpose or not, but it definitely adds to the experience and with business being more and more global, I think it is critical to join a program where you can get a lot of international exposure, including through your classmates.

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:17:54 PM)
akai--we take the best people from all over. We don't have quotas. I think that the fact our percentage of internationals has remained relatively steady (and we have no intention of backing away from that by the way) reflects the usefulness of the model. We like our community!! You should hear from the students in a second.

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:18:34 PM)
akai, Sloan's diversity makes for great discourse and interaction....it leads us to new ideas, encourages us to ask difficult questions and leads to innovative solutions.  As an international myself, I find the interaction with my American classmates to be enjoyable and interesting.

Sami Najafi-Asadolahi (Jan 8, 2004 1:18:47 PM)
Rod, I'm from Iran; with what group will you compare my application with? (Almost no Iranian has applied in recent years.)

vctrack (Jan 8, 2004 1:18:56 PM)
Rod follow up to Soumala's question:  Say you're an applicant from Iceland, from Fence but wish to be interviewed in Boston, what batch would this candidate be categorized in?

JoshNYC (Jan 8, 2004 1:19:08 PM)
As a follow up to Soumala's question:  Are bankers from NYC also lumped together and "competing" against each other for spots?

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:19:12 PM)
Maker--With the LFM, it depends on the application. 

SergioGongoraMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:19:12 PM)
Linda -- It is the Sloan Innovation Period (SIP). A series of seminars introduced this year in Sloan's curriculum. The reviews have been very positive between students.

HarryPotter4Sloan (Jan 8, 2004 1:19:20 PM)
Jon, are you planning to conduct hub interviews in India like last year?

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:19:23 PM)
KBED: there is an emphasis on increasing diversity in the class which means we we will consider both younger applicants and older applicants. We'd like to have more liberal arts candidates as well.

Kodak_smile (Jan 8, 2004 1:19:30 PM)
Niraj- How are you funding your MBA?

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:20:00 PM)
HarryPotter--We haven't yet done the second round schedule, but India is on the list of possible hub cities.

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:20:04 PM)
VCtrack:  That candidate would be categorized with Europe.

FredericZussaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:20:05 PM)
KBEB, I have 7 years of work experience, so I am definitely older than the average.  Many other people are like me. I don't think being older is a disadvantage at all.

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:20:07 PM)
Kodak_smile, I funded my MBA partly through loans and partly through personal funds.

HarryPotter4Sloan (Jan 8, 2004 1:20:54 PM)
Rod: Does MIT conduct interviews for all admitted candidates?  What if a person has been interviewed last year and is a re-applicant? Does no interview mean a DING?

Kodak_smile (Jan 8, 2004 1:21:06 PM)
Follow up on Saumala: Rod, what happens during the final evaluation- after the interviews. . .is that the time you have a chance to compare the applicant with the entire pool?  In this case Indian IT applicant in CA with Indian IT applicants in general.

MIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:21:16 PM)
Rod: Are there going to be any admits without an interview?

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:21:20 PM)
kodak_smile...I also had a teaching assistantship that helped defray some tuition expenses.

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:21:20 PM)
Sami: Strictly speaking, your application will be evaluated against all candidates.

Sami Najafi-Asadolahi (Jan 8, 2004 1:21:35 PM)
What is the role of luck in the admissions process?

Kodak_smile (Jan 8, 2004 1:21:44 PM)
Thanks Niraj.

charles (Jan 8, 2004 1:22:00 PM)
Rod, how many Chinese students are at Sloan this year?

HarryPotter4Sloan (Jan 8, 2004 1:22:14 PM)
Niraj: Are you from India?

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:22:31 PM)
JoshNYC: No, you will not be lumped with other bankers from NYC but your application is read with applications from the Northeast coast.

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:22:54 PM)
Harry Potter - Yes, I am from India. I was born and raised in Mumbai and did my undergrad there.

jcon (Jan 8, 2004 1:22:54 PM)
Where do most students live? On or off campus, and is it difficult to find off campus affordable housing?

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:22:56 PM)
Interviews--No admits without interview reapplication or not. Ultimately, you need to be interviewed to be admitted. We have waitlisted some people without interview.

SergioGongoraMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:23:12 PM)
Akai - Sloan is a very open and international environment. Students from all over the world are very excited to get to know other cultures and traditions. The relationship between Europeans and Americans is very good. In this sense, I have very close friends from US and for example, my core team includes 3 Americans, 1 Japanese and 1 Hungarian.

FredericZussaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:23:15 PM)
Sami, as you have probably realized there is a lot to put together when applying to Sloan.  It is seriously working against chance as a decision factor.

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:23:16 PM)
Charles: Off the top of my head, there are around 20 Chinese students out of 700 students.

surfgirl (Jan 8, 2004 1:23:25 PM)
What percentage of interviewed applicants will be admitted? In the past we've heard about 50% of those interviewed got admitted....

Linda Abraham (Jan 8, 2004 1:23:58 PM)
How is recruiting going this year? How are international students doing in the job market?

Linda Abraham (Jan 8, 2004 1:24:27 PM)
Sergio, Niraj, and Frederic, what do you wish you would have done before starting your MBA that would have made the beginning/transition easier? Did you do anything especially effective that helped you?

brisbane (Jan 8, 2004 1:24:39 PM)
I have a relatively low AWA score in GMAT.  Is the AWA score important?  Also, what is the best way to make up the low AWA score in my application? - Thanks.

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:24:50 PM)
Surfgirl: That's roughly the percentage last year. Not sure about this year since percentage is usually computed after we have made the decisions.

charles (Jan 8, 2004 1:24:52 PM)
Thanks Rod.

KBED (Jan 8, 2004 1:25:03 PM)
Rod - From which region do you get the maximum applications?

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:25:18 PM)
Brisvane: Don't worry about the AWA score; if your application is excellent, you will be interviewed.

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:25:28 PM)
KBED: North America of course!

MIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:25:43 PM)
When would we know if we are waitlisted?

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:25:45 PM)
jcon - I believe that students are equally split between on and off campus housing. On campus housing (especially for families) is a little difficult. As far as off campus housing is concerned, Boston is a fairly expensive place to live. However, if you look hard enough you can find housing that is value for your money.

Sami Najafi-Asadolahi (Jan 8, 2004 1:26:03 PM)
Rod, Jon: How much do the letters of recommendations impact  the admissions process?  Can a letter of recommendation change the applicant's status from * rejected* to *admitted* or from * admitted* to *rejected*?

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:26:04 PM)
MIT: You will know if you are waitlisted by the decision deadline (January 12).

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:26:45 PM)
Linda--last years group of international students (i.e. non us residents) did VERY well in the job market. Out of 80 seeking jobs I think 78 accepted offers within 3 months, around half of those in the US.  I don't know how many were seeking where.

tintin (Jan 8, 2004 1:27:05 PM)
Rod, what should be the format of the cover letter required in the application, both content and format wise?

FruityHoop (Jan 8, 2004 1:27:10 PM)
Do you get many Canadian applicants?

FredericZussaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:28:03 PM)
Linda, since my background was in engineering, I took a class of micro-economics before starting the program. There is a week of pre-course organized by the school.  I would recommend everyone to attend it. It was very well done.

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:28:10 PM)
Linda, for a second year perspective we have seen marked improvement in recruiting for international students. Many recruiters who did not hire international students for the summer are opening up their full time schedule for international students.  Several of my international classmates have full time offers post graduation.

FruityHoop (Jan 8, 2004 1:28:13 PM)
A quick one on pre-requisites. If an admitted student has Microeconomics under their belt, will they need to take Macro over the summer?  Thanks.

Sami Najafi-Asadolahi (Jan 8, 2004 1:29:11 PM)
Rod, Jon: Can a high GMAT (such as 700 or more) and a high GPA (such as 3.81) compensate for the applicants little full time work experience?

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:29:30 PM)
FruityHoop - Micro is a core course and if you have that under your belt then you don't need to worry.  Macro on the other hand is an elective and you can take that in your second semester.

surfgirl (Jan 8, 2004 1:30:45 PM)
How crucial is the interview?  In other words, if an applicant doesn't completely jive with the interviewer does that likely indicate a ding or do others have a say in the applicants admission?

JOSITO (Jan 8, 2004 1:30:53 PM)
Sergio, I would like to know how many Spanish students are usually admitted to the MIT Sloan MBA class every year?

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:30:54 PM)
Linda - I didn't do anything special to prepare for school and I was fine.  Although I wish I had taken more time off between the time I quit my job and came to school.

KBED (Jan 8, 2004 1:31:07 PM)
Since there is no specific essay that asks for extracurricular experience...how much weight does Extra Curricular activity play into the decision process?

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:31:07 PM)
Tintin: The cover letter should look like a typical business cover letter. There are a number of published materials on the 'net or on books about writing cover letters.

RC (Jan 8, 2004 1:31:14 PM)
How do you view reapplicants?

JoshNYC (Jan 8, 2004 1:31:21 PM)
Is it better to have an MIT recommender?

Sami Najafi-Asadolahi (Jan 8, 2004 1:31:39 PM)
Does Sloan tolerate that the international students may have a lower GMAT score?  For example, is an international applicant with a score of 700 viewed equivalent with a native applicant with 730 or more…?

Al (Jan 8, 2004 1:31:55 PM)
Hi. I would just like to know what is the tone I should use in terms of writing the essays?  Humorous, serious, professional, etc ... or any combination of them?

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:32:15 PM)
Sami--it is not an either or process with recommendations or any other part. Good recommendations usually confirm and expand on your application, so-so ones (and we don't see many outright bad ones for obvious reasons) might not knock you down but they usually don't help, and keep  in mind the quality of the pool where everyone is trying to present a great case.  As to your other question, we do look at the whole package and it is the quality of work experience not quantity.

charles (Jan 8, 2004 1:32:16 PM)
China.

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:32:32 PM)
RC: Same as first time applicants. We admit reapplicants at the same rate as first-time applicants.

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:32:49 PM)
JoshNYC: It is not necessarily better to have an MIT recommender.

brisbane (Jan 8, 2004 1:32:55 PM)
I am applying for MBA. Can I submit a third letter of recommendation? - Thanks

akai (Jan 8, 2004 1:33:10 PM)
Is it popular that students cross register for some courses outside of Sloan? I would be interested in some courses offered in the engineering department.

Sami Najafi-Asadolahi (Jan 8, 2004 1:33:18 PM)
Thanks Jon.

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:33:41 PM)
KBED - I believe that there is a section in the application that addresses extracurricular experiences.....and they are important so do spend time on it.

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:34:10 PM)
Brisbane: a third recommender really is not necessary.

Arthur (Jan 8, 2004 1:34:21 PM)
Rod, is a college education from Eastern Europe treated as inferior to a Western European or American college degree? I have high undergraduate GPA, but I am afraid it can scare the admissions.

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:34:23 PM)
surfgirl--the interview is crucial, but jiving with the interviewer is not.  We use it as a chance to flesh out the information in the application, and sense your accomplishments and personal attributes. We train hard to be objective evaluators (and only admissions committee do interviews) and many students here felt they had rough interviews. 

Chile_JLR (Jan 8, 2004 1:34:48 PM)
Rod, once you are admitted, what happens next?

Wendy (Jan 8, 2004 1:34:50 PM)
Is a Dual degree MBA available at MIT?

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:35:09 PM)
kbed-- Niraj is absolutely right extracurricular activities are very important.

FredericZussaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:35:15 PM)
akai, check this out: http://web.mit.edu/iap/. This is just an example of how you can attend classes in other departments. Cross-registering is encouraged; you will have many opportunities to do so.

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:35:51 PM)
Arthur: Of course not. We deal with applicants from all over the world, not just Central Europe, and all degrees are viewed equally.

Sami Najafi-Asadolahi (Jan 8, 2004 1:36:14 PM)
Rod, Jon: Do you consider the difficulty of the applicants major? (For example, my GPA is 3.81 but my major is Industrial Engineering which is far from an easy major. But another person who has studied History for example has a GPA as high as 4.0. Are we viewed the same?)

akai (Jan 8, 2004 1:36:16 PM)
Great, Fred!

RC (Jan 8, 2004 1:36:19 PM)
Students, how do you like the different clubs? Which ones are you active in? Is there a club for students with families?

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:36:29 PM)
You can also cross register for classes at HBS and the Kennedy School of Government.

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:36:33 PM)
Wendy--we have a couple of dual programs with schools within MIT (joint programs more properly) and will unveil a joint degree program with the Kennedy School of Government for an MBA/MPA next year.

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:36:51 PM)
Chile_JLR: After you get your acceptances, you open a bottle of Champagne.

HarryPotter4Sloan (Jan 8, 2004 1:36:54 PM)
Jon: How does MIT view applicants who have been enrolled in part-time MBA courses?

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:37:43 PM)
Sami-- what's wrong with history?

JoshNYC (Jan 8, 2004 1:37:53 PM)
Does the admissions committee view unemployment as a negative?

SergioGongoraMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:38:26 PM)
Josito -- There are 5 second year Spanish students and 4 first year Spanish students. Our background is very diverse (mainly strategic consulting and industry).

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:38:54 PM)
JoshNYC: No. We have students in our program who were unemployed before starting their program. It's one of those things that just happens.

rakesh (Jan 8, 2004 1:38:57 PM)
Is MIT a good place, if someone is seeking a social entrepreneurship career post MBA. If yes, then how does it differentiate itself from other schools like Harvard, Wharton?

Sami Najafi-Asadolahi (Jan 8, 2004 1:39:01 PM)
Jon. I suppose it is much easier.

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:39:12 PM)
RC - the clubs are great....I am a member of several clubs the management consulting club, mediatech, European business etc....the clubs are a great point of contact with the industry...they help keep things real.  There are several social/sports clubs as well. And the significant other Sloan club is very active.

JoshNYC (Jan 8, 2004 1:39:53 PM)
Awesome. Thanks Rod. You all must be exhausted!

seagull (Jan 8, 2004 1:39:58 PM)
Niraj - Roughly how many Indian students do you have in a typical Sloan class (apologies if this question has been posed in the past!)?

Al (Jan 8, 2004 1:40:07 PM)
I am at lost on GPA conversions.  I have an average of about 80% in undergrad, which counts as an A- in my school.  But charts converts an 80% to a 2.9 GPA, but an A- to a 3.7, which one am I?

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:40:10 PM)
HP4s--a lot of people have taken part time courses and they feel it helps.  It can also serve as evidence that you are serious about preparing.  We would have some questions about why a full time MBA if you are essentially going through a program now...

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:41:14 PM)
Al: Don't convert your marks to a U.S. GPA. It won't do you justice. We ask graduates of foreign universities to leave their GPA's blank.  By the way 80% is quite impressive.

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:41:15 PM)
seagull - Core classes typically have about 60-70 students.  Enrollment in elective classes varies widely from 40 to about 100 students.  It depends primarily on class popularity and content.

Wendy (Jan 8, 2004 1:42:18 PM)
Thanks, Jon. And what does the MPA focus on?  Focusing on management or public management? Is there a MBA/ME dual degree?

RC (Jan 8, 2004 1:42:27 PM)
Rod, could you give a quick run-thru of the admissions process?

surfgirl (Jan 8, 2004 1:42:29 PM)
Students: Would you recommend doing some type of calculus prep work, if we've been away from math for a while?

andreak (Jan 8, 2004 1:42:34 PM)
How popular is working in the non-profit sector during/after graduation?

Chile_JLR (Jan 8, 2004 1:43:04 PM)
thx, Rod. I'm fine.

Soumala (Jan 8, 2004 1:43:12 PM)
Niraj, how many Indians are there in your class? How diverse are their backgrounds?

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:43:18 PM)
seagull - the MBA class of 2004 has about 16 Indians. The number is comparable for the class of 2005.

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:43:31 PM)
RC: It's more complicated then you think. I wish I could simply say we have a yes/no/maybe category but it really doesn't work that way. It takes about 45-60 minutes to go through a single application.

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:43:33 PM)
rakesh--I think it is a great place, primarily because of the potential of MIT's various departments (DUSP, environmental) closely allied with socially responsible development, and that's what makes this place stand out. We have a Socially Responsible category in the 50k business competition. I went in to a fair amount of depth in the round one chat on this subject, so check that out and I can answer more offline. Andreak--we have a lot of work in the non-profit sector during summer internships, less right out of school and more a few years out.

FredericZussaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:43:41 PM)
rakesh, many things are happening on the front of social entrepreneurship. One great initiative this year allowed students to give a very small part of the salary they will be making during their summer internship to allow other students to work for free for a socially oriented venture.

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:44:09 PM)
surfgirl - as long as you can do very basic calculus you should be fine

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:44:17 PM)
Wendy--MPA is a public policy degree and can take many forms, check out the website.

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:45:22 PM)
Soumala - the backgrounds are fairly diverse, management consultants, tech consultants, bankers, software engineers, general managers, corporate finance, etc.

Sami Najafi-Asadolahi (Jan 8, 2004 1:45:23 PM)
Niraj, how is the focus on General Management compared to Harvard?

Linda Abraham (Jan 8, 2004 1:47:18 PM)
The transcript for the previous MIT chat is at http://www.accepted.com/chat/transcripts/2003/mba11202003.aspx .

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:47:27 PM)
Sami--as to your early question about majors, I don't think your premise is a useful one. We are educating people with the capacity to make a difference through management: to structure their actions and thoughts in a global context. History (for instance) is very useful preparation for that, as is engineering for different reasons. We want the whole package, not just book smart students. Not to knock you...I know this is a topic on everyone's mind...but it is important to realize that this is not about external markers (i.e. GPA) as it is about potential for making a difference.

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:47:44 PM)
Sami - I believe that comparisons with HBS would be inappropriate because I am not intimately familiar with their general management track. However, depending on your choices of electives and extracurricular activities, you could develop strong general management skills here.  In fact that has been my focus.

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:47:51 PM)
sami--By the way, I was not a history major :)

surfgirl (Jan 8, 2004 1:48:34 PM)
All things being relatively equal (strong grades, good GMAT), does having a different background than most (i.e. not management consultant or banker) have a positive impact on your application?

Sami Najafi-Asadolahi (Jan 8, 2004 1:49:39 PM)
Rod: Who makes the final decision whether to accept or reject an applicant?  Do you make the decision or is it a consensus?

FredericZussaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:49:57 PM)
surfgirl, there is one week of pre-course organized in August that gives the necessary refreshers, including in calculus.  If you think that calculus might be a concern for you then feel free to do some review.  In any case, since you will be working in teams, you will be able to get a lot of support from your classmates that may have more strength in this area.

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:50:03 PM)
surfgirl--I wouldn't say so, but having a different background certainly doesn't hurt you.  But doing something distinctive in whatever context you find yourself, it is a real advantage. 

Linda Abraham (Jan 8, 2004 1:51:07 PM)
Frederic, Sergio, and Niraj, could you give a little more information on the SIP's, the new element in MIT's curriculum?

RC (Jan 8, 2004 1:52:15 PM)
Where do most of the students live? What is the range of housing prices?

surfgirl (Jan 8, 2004 1:52:20 PM)
Thanks Jon!

Sami Najafi-Asadolahi (Jan 8, 2004 1:52:24 PM)
Jon, what is the most important factor in the evaluation process? (e.g., academic ability, communication skills, ability to work in teams, strong recommendations…)

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:52:42 PM)
Sami--Rod asked me to respond...the decision is made by consensus, with the entire process overseen by Rod, who can certainly create a consensus in a hurry if necessary!

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:54:02 PM)
Sami-- In the evaluation process, no one factor is the most important. We look at the whole mosaic.

Sami Najafi-Asadolahi (Jan 8, 2004 1:54:07 PM)
Thanks Jon!:)

Robel (Jan 8, 2004 1:55:03 PM)
Rod - Jon: Could you please clarify the reviewing process for LFM applicants?

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:55:09 PM)
SIP - Sloan Innovation Period is a week long and serves to bring the faculty's cutting edge research into the classroom.  There are several three hour seminars on a wide variety of topics focusing on leadership, innovation and practice. Classes include pricing, real options analysis, the psychology of lying (to better understand negotiations), etc.

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:55:17 PM)
RC--it is currently a renters market out there. Check out www.bostonrentals.com for a good look at the housing market.

jcon (Jan 8, 2004 1:55:39 PM)
Do women students feel as they are minorities, or do they even notice?

HolsingerTX (Jan 8, 2004 1:55:57 PM)
(Dreaming here...) Where do most of the students live while attending Sloan? Do most live in Cambridge (Cent Sq, Hvd Sq...) or do they spread out to suburbs such as Somerville, Alton? Thanxs!

FredericZussaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:56:32 PM)
Linda, SIP stands for Sloan Innovation Period.  It happens in the spring and in the fall.  All the classes stop for one week.  Research and leadership workshops are offered. This year, more than 50 topics where available.  I attended workshops such as "Game Theory applied to Finance" and "IT... Does it matters".  It is a great way to get exposed to areas that can be of your interest in addition to learn the latest in management theory and practice.

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:57:41 PM)
icon--of course we don't have a woman on this panel ( :) ) but the women at MIT Sloan are very satisfied...we do internal surveys and the satisfaction is high. We also invest a lot on the recruiting side to build the community.

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:57:50 PM)
Robel: LFM applications are reviewed by the LFM Program Office first and then Sloan reviews those who are not accepted to this very competitive program.

SergioGongoraMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:58:07 PM)
RC - About 90% of my friends live on campus (mainly in the same building what is very fun...the night before exams for brainstorming) and only 10% live nearby (about 2 - 3 stops from campus). Most of the students commute by the T or bicycle ... Costs in campus are around USD $700-800 (single apartment) and USD $1,100 (double apartment).

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 1:58:07 PM)
RC and Holsinger - Students are equally divided between on and off campus.  Those living off-campus are spread all over. Cambridge, Boston, Somerville.  I live off campus in Somerville.  It's most convenient for my wife and I.  Off campus housing costs range from $1300-1600 for a 1 bedroom depending on the location.

dima (Jan 8, 2004 1:58:41 PM)
How valuable is work experience in software development for someone who wants to become an investment banker post MBA?

HolsingerTX (Jan 8, 2004 1:59:12 PM)
How many internships are available for students that wish to stay in the Boston area (due to families or friends)?

GermanDude (Jan 8, 2004 1:59:26 PM)
Hi - Is on-campus living a fact for MIT Sloan? I was under the impression this wasn't an option.

Robel (Jan 8, 2004 2:00:05 PM)
Thanks Rod, so if I were not admitted to LFM, I would be in Round 2? How is the interview handled in this case considering that I was not interviewed for LFM?

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:00:28 PM)
Robel: Yes.

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:01:12 PM)
Linda - the SIP is very worthwhile....it is by definition forward looking and gives students a sense of the cutting edge of management concepts and techniques that are on the horizon.  It gives students a lot to think about....and to consider how we will apply things we are currently learning in the future (i.e., sustainability of skills).

surfgirl (Jan 8, 2004 2:01:17 PM)
How much of a student's tuition does the TA positions cover?

FredericZussaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:01:19 PM)
Linda, SIPs where extremely worthwhile.  It allowed me to develop greater relationships with professors here at school I had not met yet. It also exposed me to areas I would not have looked at either b/c time is limited during the rest of the term or because the subject exposed is too recent or too advanced to be part of any MBA course.

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:02:11 PM)
surfgirl - TA positions cover between 30% and 83% of tuition depending on the class that you TA.

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:02:23 PM)
dima--no difference from an admissions standpoint, and we do have people make that kind of transition after going through the finance courses at MIT Sloan. Now, from a job point of view, I think you will need to point to more than the technical experience and to an interest in finance to be compelling.

FredericZussaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:02:56 PM)
GermanDude - here there is definitely a life on campus.  I love off campus and always come back on campus because a lot of things happen there. There is a real community of people living in the residences on campus.

r1er (Jan 8, 2004 2:03:28 PM)
What percentage of students receive TA positions?

jcon (Jan 8, 2004 2:03:32 PM)
Can Sloan students have a TA position for undergrad engineering classes?

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:03:43 PM)
surfgirl--we have about 50+ TA positions each semester, not counting independent research (often paid) and other projects.

GermanDude (Jan 8, 2004 2:03:57 PM)
wow - thanks Frederic! That sounds great, 'cuz I really look forward to get the full on-campus experience and would really love to live on-campus. Thanks for your answer.

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:04:03 PM)
jcon: our MBA students normally do not TA undergraduate courses.

Sami Najafi-Asadolahi (Jan 8, 2004 2:04:04 PM)
Does the interviewer have access to the application form of the interviewee ahead of the interview?

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:04:31 PM)
r1er - about 10-12% of the class get teaching assistant positions. 

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:04:45 PM)
sami--yes the interviewee has read the application thoroughly.

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:04:57 PM)
Sami: The interviewer has to read the application before the interview.

Arthur (Jan 8, 2004 2:05:40 PM)
A person not admitted last year and getting constant advertisements of different programs, such as MLOG, is that a sign of admissions opinion on better fit there, or is it not connected in any way?

surfgirl (Jan 8, 2004 2:06:03 PM)
Frederic, does that include married on campus housing? I.e. how accessible is it?

Wendy (Jan 8, 2004 2:06:17 PM)
Any MIT student here focuses on Marketing?

FredericZussaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:06:47 PM)
You are welcome GermanDude. Also, MIT just built brand new housing facilities for students. Check this out: http://web.mit.edu/evolving/projects/index.html .

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:06:59 PM)
Holsinger TX - there are several internships available in Boston...in fact 66% of the class of '04 stayed in the northeast for their internship.  It just depends what you are looking for.

GermanDude (Jan 8, 2004 2:07:16 PM)
Are there fellowships available (in addition to TA positions) and if so - will we hear about them at the time an admission offer is made? Thanks.

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:07:25 PM)
Arthur--MLOG has its own recruiting process so your name might have gone to them from a variety of sources.

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:08:00 PM)
Germandude--a few fellowships, and also merit awards are available after the first year.

GermanDude (Jan 8, 2004 2:08:13 PM)
Thanks Frederic. I've seen the great new housing building before.  I just thought it was solely for undergrads (meaning Sloan MBAs are not allowed to move in). It seems I was wrong.

FredericZussaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:08:49 PM)
surfgirl, housing for married students is just next to the Sloan buildings so it is VERY convenient.  My understanding is that rent is cheaper than to take your own apartment in Cambridge and the apartments have a GREAT view of Boston.

Wendy (Jan 8, 2004 2:09:37 PM)
What kinds of entrepreneurship courses and program do you have at MIT?  What is the percent of admitted students who are interested in marketing and entrepreneur?

Chile_JLR (Jan 8, 2004 2:09:42 PM)
Sergio, are you participating at the 50K contest? How many do?

surfgirl (Jan 8, 2004 2:09:49 PM)
Frederic (or any who know), do you know if married housing is hard to come by?

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:11:53 PM)
surfgirl - The family housing complex near Sloan (that Frederic was referring to) is extremely competitive.  There is another family housing complex that is 20 minutes away (walking that is) from the Sloan building that is less competitive.

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:12:00 PM)
surfgirl--housing is good right now, so off campus rent as a couple is very doable in addition to on campus housing.

Adel (Jan 8, 2004 2:13:34 PM)
Linda, many thanks for arranging this chat "European" time :-).

SergioGongoraMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:13:44 PM)
Wendy -- I took Marketing as an elective during the first semester.  Even if my undergraduate was focused in marketing I found this class very interesting and I learnt a lot.  The professor was exceptional.  It is one of the classes with the highest rankings between students.

GermanDude (Jan 8, 2004 2:14:03 PM)
Well special thanks to everyone from MIT taking time to talk to us.

FredericZussaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:14:10 PM)
Wendy, not sure what the exact numbers are. The extend of the entrepreneurship classes is very impressive. They are also in high demand not just from Sloan students but also from students from HBS.

KBED (Jan 8, 2004 2:14:40 PM)
Rod - Given the trends for Round 1 what are you expectations in terms of quality and quantity of applications for R2?  Will you evaluate the Round1 waitlist candidates against Round 2 candidates as well?

FredericZussaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:15:30 PM)
No problem!  It is fun for us to chat with you as well.  MIT Sloan is awesome and it is easy to get excited talking about it!

Chile_JLR (Jan 8, 2004 2:15:37 PM)
surfgirl: a married friend at Sloan is renting an apartment for $1,100 (1 bedroom), right next to TANG, and it includes water, local phone, etc. Cheap!!! -- Yes, and a great view of Charles River!

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:16:36 PM)
KBED: hard to tell at this point. So far, indications are applications might go up for Round 2 (keep in mind that we were down Round 1).

Wendy (Jan 8, 2004 2:16:46 PM)
Frederic, do you mean students from MIT & Harvard can join each other's class freely?

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:17:27 PM)
kbed--we will probably consider the Round 1 waitlist with Round 2.

surfgirl (Jan 8, 2004 2:17:47 PM)
Are the scholarships that are listed on the application awarded at time of acceptance? i.e. will we be told in our admission letter if we received one?

HolsingerTX (Jan 8, 2004 2:17:50 PM)
If admitted, how do admitted students apply for scholarships / TA positions or other financial aid possibilities (besides FAFSA)?

SergioGongoraMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:18:22 PM)
Chile-JLR -- I am not directly involved in the 50k contest. But many of my friends are participating in teams or as organizers. In my opinion, at least 60% of the students are involved in one way or another in the competition. It is a unique opportunity to I) work in team, II) create a real business plan and if you win... III) get the funds to launch the company.  Akamai was created like that!

FredericZussaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:18:58 PM)
Wendy, Yes! You can cross-register both way. So while you are here, if there is a class at Harvard (I mean all the schools at Harvard, not just HBS) you are interested in, you can attend and your credits will count as much as the classes you take at MIT.

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:19:24 PM)
Surfgirl: Relative to other schools, we don't give out awards at the beginning.  Most of the fellowship awards (Siebel, merit scholarships, etc.) are awarded when you are here since there is a community service component (as well as academics) to these awards.

RC (Jan 8, 2004 2:19:42 PM)
How should one go about getting recommendations if they are in a family business?

NirajParekhMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:19:50 PM)
Holsinger - You can apply for TA position by responding to an invitation from the faculty to apply for the position or by contacting the faculty directly. Note that most TA position are available only after your first semester at Sloan.

Sami Najafi-Asadolahi (Jan 8, 2004 2:19:54 PM)
Rod, Jon: Did you experience any problems last year with the accepted foreign applicants’ ability to obtain visas?

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:20:21 PM)
RC: You can get recommendations from other people in the business; lawyers, customers, one applicant had his competitor write him a recommendation letter. No kidding.

surfgirl (Jan 8, 2004 2:20:39 PM)
Rod: Does that apply to the McKinsey scholarship in the application as well? If not, when do we hear about that one?

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:21:16 PM)
surfgirl-- Same with McKinsey.

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:21:51 PM)
Sami--we got almost everyone through though it was tight in some cases. A very few Chinese applicants had trouble.

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:22:03 PM)
Sami: The only students who had visa problems were those who had to deal with the U.S. consulate in Shanghai. This does not mean that Chinese students had difficulty getting visas; only those who applied in Shanghai.

Wendy (Jan 8, 2004 2:22:13 PM)
Will Bush's new immigration policy influence the admission policy of MIT?  I mean the policy toward foreign students?

RodGarciaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:22:38 PM)
I have to go, folks. Good luck to everyone.

Linda Abraham (Jan 8, 2004 2:22:52 PM)
Thanks Rod.

Linda Abraham (Jan 8, 2004 2:23:08 PM)
Thank you again all for participating this evening. Special thanks to Rod, Jon, Sergio, Niraj, and Frederic for joining us today.

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:23:12 PM)
Wendy--Absolutely not, the immigration policy will not effect us.  We will continue to pursue our educational and community mission.

Adel (Jan 8, 2004 2:24:14 PM)
Jon, how many at Sloan choose to make a thesis and get an MS instead of an MBA?

Sami Najafi-Asadolahi (Jan 8, 2004 2:24:14 PM)
Thanks Rod :)

RC (Jan 8, 2004 2:24:15 PM)
Thank you also to Linda and Accepted.com!

Sami Najafi-Asadolahi (Jan 8, 2004 2:24:52 PM)
Jon, all schools have to make a trade off between the diversity of the student body and the strength of the individual candidate.  Which is more important to you?  If there were 50 outstanding candidates from any given country, would you accept seeing its percentage of students of their nationality increase dramatically or would you refuse some of those outstanding candidates, preferring instead to take less outstanding candidates from other countries (such as my country Iran) so as to maintain a certain diversity in the student body?

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:25:24 PM)
sami--We are in the fortunate position of not having to make that trade off.

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:25:50 PM)
Adel--less than 10 percent choose to make a thesis and get an MS instead of an MBA.

Sami Najafi-Asadolahi (Jan 8, 2004 2:26:25 PM)
Jon, how many people read the application?

Arthur (Jan 8, 2004 2:26:34 PM)
Rod, Jon, Sergio, Niraj, Frederic, Linda - thanks for making it happen; everyone, thanks for the questions.

Sami Najafi-Asadolahi (Jan 8, 2004 2:28:03 PM)
Jon, I have seen in the Sloan web site that the range of work experience of the admitted candidates was 1-16 years and the range of the ages was 20-39 years. This makes a question for me: How can a 20 year old candidate get his/her Bachelor’s degree and then also work for at least one year? (It’s impossible because his/her age doesn’t let him to do so.)

Linda Abraham (Jan 8, 2004 2:28:06 PM)
You have been a great group and posted good questions. Thanks for your participation.

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:29:20 PM)
Sami--see above about different types of experience. We also have people who started college Very early...:)

gringoalto (Jan 8, 2004 2:29:57 PM)
What is the evaluation process like at Sloan after an applicant has been interviewed?

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:30:55 PM)
Sam--2 reads of an application and 1 interview.

LafortezaK (Jan 8, 2004 2:32:08 PM)
Jon, how do you plan to inform the Round 1 applicants (e-mail, applyyourself)?

Adel (Jan 8, 2004 2:32:44 PM)
Jon, after an applicant is interviewed, does his/her acceptance depend only on his "performance" at the interview, or is the interview only an additional "data point" to be checked again with the rest of the application?

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:33:16 PM)
lfk--It will be posted on apply yourself with an email saying to check the site.

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:33:47 PM)
Adel--It's more like an additional data point, but it is an extremely important data point.

Sami Najafi-Asadolahi (Jan 8, 2004 2:33:50 PM)
My last question: Do you use any formula to evaluate the GPA as well as the GMAT scores?  For example, if an applicant gets 650 in the GMAT how do you conclude that he needs a GPA of 3.7 or over to compensate for his low GMAT score? (I saw this in the previous transcripts)

Chile_JLR (Jan 8, 2004 2:33:59 PM)
Sergio, did you come married? How has your spouse's experience been?

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:34:11 PM)
sami-No formula.

Linda Abraham (Jan 8, 2004 2:34:16 PM)
Jon, FYI there have been more questions about your notification procedures than any other topic today.

Adel (Jan 8, 2004 2:35:01 PM)
Fred, are you a first or second year student? Are there many French at Sloan? How strong is the Sloanie network in France?

Phillip (Jan 8, 2004 2:35:04 PM)
Jon, as I know, last year you called the admitted applicants you interviewed the day before the decision day. Can we expect the same thing for this year?

Sami Najafi-Asadolahi (Jan 8, 2004 2:35:05 PM)
Thanks Jon, thanks Linda, thanks every one; I'm out.  I hope to see you all at Sloan. Bye!

SergioGongoraMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:35:24 PM)
I am not married...still. My girlfriend was also accepted at Sloan and we have spent the whole semester studying together... She got better grades than me...

gringoalto (Jan 8, 2004 2:36:04 PM)
Linda, it's probably because of all of us super-nervous applicants who can't wait for their decision on Monday!

FredericZussaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:36:53 PM)
Adel, I am a first-year student. The French community is actually quite large this year at school. It has been great for me to see some of my country men and women since I was living in the US prior to school. The Sloan community in France is large, but as you might expect, a lot of French people are also working internationally.  I think it is the same through out Europe, so you will find alumni from the school from your country probably wherever you go.

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:37:28 PM)
Phillip--I think this year with the decision on a Monday we will not call earlier. Also last year it was hard to get a hold of people earlier, those who got the call were of course delighted, but we were reluctant to leave messages or go through third parties and some people missed it. It is very important to us to maintain a personal touch in the application process, though how we do that this year remains to be seen. I do not think we will call first, we will deliver the decision and then find another way to reach out. I hope this helps.

Karlo Laforteza (Jan 8, 2004 2:38:39 PM)
Jon, will the results for admitted, waitlisted and dinged be released all at the same time?

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:39:44 PM)
KL-yes, all results are released at the same time.

Arthur (Jan 8, 2004 2:40:17 PM)
Thanks once more everybody, Sloanies, many thanks for the answers; Linda, one more thanks for your crazy, but well-done job. Have a great year ahead! Got to go.

Linda Abraham (Jan 8, 2004 2:40:32 PM)
Thanks Arthur.

Phillip (Jan 8, 2004 2:41:02 PM)
Jon, I have a question regarding the interview. I know that every admitted applicant must be interviewed, but how important is the interview in the whole application?

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:41:24 PM)
Phillip- Very important.

Adel (Jan 8, 2004 2:42:45 PM)
Sloanies, one last question from me: Is the Salsa and Tango spirit still around at Sloan ? :-) It's very important for me :-)

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:43:06 PM)
Adel--outside my office every Monday night :)

SergioGongoraMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:43:20 PM)
Adel -- Of course! You should join the Latino Club and you will see...

Linda Abraham (Jan 8, 2004 2:43:33 PM)
We are going to have additional chats later this month and in February, both for additional schools and probably for wait-applicants. Please either join our MBA chat announcement list (mbachat@accepted.com ) or check the Web site.

Adel (Jan 8, 2004 2:43:56 PM)
Happy to hear that :-)

alberto (Jan 8, 2004 2:44:24 PM)
Frederic/Jon: How is the applicant pool in comparison with last year and how strong is the Brazilian community at Sloan (there seems to be a number of us up there...)? In addition, how will financing work for international students this year?

FredericZussaMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:44:53 PM)
The Latino Club is throwing one of the best C-function of the school. Every year, it is a blast!

Chile_JLR (Jan 8, 2004 2:45:09 PM)
Adel: I went to the "Latino" C-Function last year: WOW!!!!! lots of salsa, meringue, and rock. Didn't see much tango...

Linda Abraham (Jan 8, 2004 2:45:12 PM)
Thanks again to Rod (in absence), Jon, Sergio, Niraj, and Frederic. You have all been extremely helpful. Thank you to al participants for making this a great chat!

Linda Abraham (Jan 8, 2004 2:45:18 PM)
Good luck with your applications!

Adel (Jan 8, 2004 2:45:19 PM)
Ok guys, thanks a lot for this session. My plane has arrived and they are calling me to board :-) Lots of thanks to all Sloanies here and lots of thanks to Linda and Accepted.com :-)

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:45:43 PM)
The Brazilian community is very strong...financing the same as for all. All students are eligible for CitiAssist loan (available without a US Cosigner) and for all other awards. The hardest part is getting in, we make sure everyone can swing it financially.

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Jan 8, 2004 2:46:10 PM)
Thanks all...all the best!

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room