2004 MBA Admissions Waitlist Chat with Linda Abraham

2004 MBA Admissions Waitlist Chat with Linda Abraham

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Chat Transcript:

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:10:42 PM)
First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com's waitlist chat.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:10:53 PM)
Thanks to everyone for joining.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:11:05 PM)
Thanks to Paul Bodine, Accepted.com's senior editor for joining us.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:12:01 PM)
OK, let's get started. I titled this chat "5 Keys to Moving from the Wait List to the Accepted List" Wait-list status is tough and you need the right set of keys to open the door to the program you want to attend. The truth is that even with these keys, you are still not guaranteed that the lock will work. But you do need to know this keys.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:12:12 PM)
First, a word of intro: Realize that receipt of a wait-list letter means you qualify for admission. You pass. You are probably on the wait-list (and not admitted) because they have already admitted applicants with your profile and want diversity in the class. Or they find your qualifications impressive, but find someone else's even more so.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:12:19 PM)
Now the keys:

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:12:25 PM)
Key #1:  Read the letter for any hints of deficiency in your profile. If the school encourages contact, do so as I will outline in a moment.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:12:31 PM)
Key #2:  If the school encourages contact, give them more reasons to admit you. Inform the school of new achievements, initiatives, promotions, and developments in your life. This implies developing a proactive campaign or schedule of contact roughly every 2-3 weeks. The exact particulars will vary depending on your school, specialty, and exactly when you are put on the wait list, but it can include letters, additional visit(s) to the school, an offer to interview, letters of support from others, and occasional phone calls.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:12:43 PM)
Letters should be 1-2 pages.  For tips on the letters' content, please see http://www.accepted.com/newsletter/2003/0303news.aspx#tip .

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:12:49 PM)
Key #3:  Reinforcing the idea of a fit between you and the school. Demonstrate how a visit confirmed and deepened your interest in the program.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:12:56 PM)
Key #4:  Enlist your fan club. Seek additional letters of recommendation from supervisors on and off the job. Current students and recent alumni who know you can also write letters of support and emphasize your fit with the program.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:13:04 PM)
Key #5:  Ask if there is anything you can do to improve your candidacy. (There usually isn't, but if there is, you want to know about it) If there is, do it.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:13:15 PM)
I would now like to open the floor to questions. You can ask your questions about responding to a wait list letter or other aspects of writing and graduate admissions.

wantanmba (Feb 17, 2004 6:13:36 PM)
Hi Linda, I am waitlisted at Columbia and Darden.  Any advice will be helpful, specifically for Columbia.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:14:04 PM)
For both CBS and Darden, I would take a proactive approach. Have you sent in a letter informing them of recent developments and demonstrating fit?

Lenny K (Feb 17, 2004 6:14:12 PM)
Hi, I am waitlisted at HBS and their letter states that I cannot communicate with them.  How can I handle this situation?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:14:52 PM)
Lenny, that's actually tougher.  I think you need to rely on your fan club much more. After all, they are not bound by Harvard's instructions, and if they enthusiastically want to put in a good word for you, you can't control them. Nor can HBS.  These fan letters can tell about recent developments and they can and should emphasize fit with HBS aka leadership. They are best if they come from students and recent alumni.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:15:33 PM)
A big wig doesn't hurt, but you may not have one handy.

wantanmba (Feb 17, 2004 6:15:48 PM)
Yes, I did.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:16:07 PM)
wantanmba, then you need to develop a plan. Ask additional recommenders to send in letters let's say two weeks apart.  After CBS receives those letters, contact them yourself about a possible additional interview.  In addition, CBS normally provides a contact person and directions. Follow them.

INSD-SEP04 (Feb 17, 2004 6:17:13 PM)
Hi Linda, during one of my interviews at INSEAD, I told them I also was accepted to another European school. But my first choice is still INSEAD. Do you think that this in anyway could have led to my waitlist status?  What should be my plan of action for the INSEAD waitlist?

AlliNYC (Feb 17, 2004 6:17:43 PM)
UCLA's letter said the same thing as HBS.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:18:50 PM)
INSEAD, I don't think telling them you were already accepted was a wise move. Frankly, a wait-list at INSEAD is fairly new. I suggest you return on 2/26 for Accepted.com's INSEAD chat and ask your questions then, because they didn't use to have a wait list, as I recall.  Considering your circumstances and suspicions, emphasize why you want to go to INSEAD more than any other school.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:19:13 PM)
INSEAD,

wantanmba (Feb 17, 2004 6:19:18 PM)
I even retook the GMAT as Columbia asked me.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:19:26 PM)
Good. Did you score go up, wantanmba?

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 6:19:38 PM)
AlliNYC, as Linda mentioned, there's less room for you to maneuver when the school says they don't want you to send more info.

Astrix (Feb 17, 2004 6:19:45 PM)
I am waitlisted at LBS and followed up with another letter talking about my international experience and an additional recommendation letter. Anything else you can suggest to make my case stronger?

HarryPotter (Feb 17, 2004 6:19:58 PM)
As you know, I am waitlisted at MIT Sloan. What is your advice?  Is Sloan known to give feedback to students on a weakness in their application?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:21:25 PM)
Astrix, I would send in additional letters, perhaps from a different activity (community service or new job?) I would also visit LBS, if possible.  In another month to six weeks, send in another update.  After your visit, send in a thank you explaining how the visit confirmed your interest in LBS.

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 6:21:38 PM)
Alli, you need to use your contacts to contact UCLA for you.  Do you know UCLA alumni or students or faculty?

AlliNYC (Feb 17, 2004 6:21:44 PM)
I sent a note to NYU, 3 weeks ago, should I follow up? With what?

wantanmba (Feb 17, 2004 6:21:49 PM)
No Linda, I scored the same. It really sucked, because I improved my verbal but decreased my quantitative. Overall was the same

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 6:21:52 PM)
HarryPotter: Actually, yes, Sloan will give you feedback if you ask for it. So give them a call!

HarryPotter (Feb 17, 2004 6:21:57 PM)
I am doing the usual so far: Asking my  fan club (alum, student recommendations) for help and sending in updates.

SN_10 (Feb 17, 2004 6:22:04 PM)
I have a strong suspicion that one of the reasons Cornell waitlisted me is because I went over the word limit on my essays (550 words vs. 400 words). Is there anything I can do to mitigate this?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:22:42 PM)
SN, I don't think that would be the sole reason why they would wait-list you.  And if it is, there is very little you can do to mitigate this except to be more succinct next time.

Neal (Feb 17, 2004 6:23:12 PM)
Linda, can you talk a little more about the letter - should it be why the school again?  What changed in the interim? What exactly should it cover?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:24:26 PM)
Neal, first the letter should thank the school for its consideration. NEVER complain about being waitlisted. The bulk of the letter should deal with how you are a better candidate today than you were four or six months ago AND how the intervening months have increased your interest in the schools. Mentioning your visits to the school, contacts with students and alumni. . .can only help. Finally, close by offering to visit or provide additional information if they need anything.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:25:02 PM)
More info on the letter can be found at http://www.accepted.com/newsletter/2003/0303news.aspx#tip .

RL (Feb 17, 2004 6:25:28 PM)
Hello Linda - I've spoken to Chicago's counselor and was told the main concern is my GMAT (660) & GPA (3.0) combination.  I've registered to retake the GMAT shortly. I'm wondering that if I simply score higher (if so, by how much), will that mean I'll be accepted? The counselor didn't mention other aspects that I should work on.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:25:51 PM)
Chicago is great in that it provides this kind of specific feedback...It doesn't mean, however that raising your GMAT guarantees your admission. I would retake the GMAT and enroll in a class to show that you can now earn A's . They are concerned about both your GPA and GMAT.  Deal with both.

wantanmba (Feb 17, 2004 6:26:38 PM)
Darden told me not to send additional recommendations. Just to wait for a response. What can I do?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:27:00 PM)
wantanmba, do you now current Darden students or recent alumni?

Neal (Feb 17, 2004 6:27:33 PM)
Linda, should these letters and references be sent directly to the admissions director or is that too annoying?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:27:58 PM)
Neal, I would send it to the person either assigned to you or from whom you received the letter notifying you of your wait-list status.  If you heard via the Web with out a name, then send it to the director. They have administrative assistants.

Gigi (Feb 17, 2004 6:28:27 PM)
I'm waitlisted at Cornell and UNC Chapel Hill.  Any advice on either school?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:28:41 PM)
Again, for both those schools, keep in touch...Tell them about promotions, etc. Demonstrate fit.  This applies basically for most schools, with HBS, UCLA, and to a certain degree Wharton, as the notable exceptions.

Neal (Feb 17, 2004 6:29:46 PM)
Can you comment on Stanford.  I have two alumni wanting to write reference letters for me plus another NPO (non profit organization) founder who wants to write a reference. Do you think this is too much? Further, the alumni are going to write emails directly to Derrick Bolton. What are your thoughts?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:29:58 PM)
No. It's not to much, but don't send them all at once...Have them go out one to two weeks apart so they aren't deluged but your name stays in front of them. Derrick is fine as addressee, especially if the alum knows him.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:31:13 PM)
What you want, for all schools is a steady stream of recommendations; not a sudden dump followed by deafening silence.

Guest (Feb 17, 2004 6:31:20 PM)
HarryPotter:  If you can't find out what your weaknesses are from the school, Accepted.com can review your application for your and give you an educated guess and you can try to do damage control on them in your wait-list letter.

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 6:31:32 PM)
AlliNYC: Your hands are tied to some extent at UCLA. Just be sure everyone you know with an Anderson connection is going to bat for you.

Astrix (Feb 17, 2004 6:31:50 PM)
Thanks - I will send in another update in a months time, especially now that I am moving to London from San Francisco with my new job. Do you think it is appropriate to ask them if I can send in the extra update?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:32:03 PM)
Astrix, did they specifically tell you not to contact them?

RL (Feb 17, 2004 6:32:21 PM)
Linda - is there anything else I can do for Chicago, to greatly improve my candidacy (in the worse case scenario that my GMAT score doesn't improve)?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:32:42 PM)
Yes, take classes too. Especially if you come from a liberal arts background, take calculus and statistics.  If you are not accepted, those classes will help you when you reapply in the fall.  If you are accepted, they will help you in your classes.

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 6:33:13 PM)
Wantanmba: Remember that there's a difference between a recommendation letter that you send in and a recommendation that someone makes independently but on your behalf.

JJE (Feb 17, 2004 6:33:20 PM)
How about Anderson (UCLA)?  Any specific waitlist advice. I was waitlisted last year as well and was eventually rejected.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:33:49 PM)
JJE ouch, that hurts. Anderson is one of those schools that discourages contact...and the first rule for wait-listed applicants is following directions so you have to rely on your fan club, which doesn't have directions.  As mentioned above, ask students you know and recent alumni to send in letters of support...Ask them to emphasize the qualities (and show how you embody) the qualities that Anderson values: teamwork, good social skills.  In addition, let them tell about news in your life, community, etc.

Guest (Feb 17, 2004 6:35:30 PM)
When "keeping in touch," does it matter when you keep in touch?  Meaning, should I wait until AFTER decisions are made for the current round before sending in the additional info?  How much of a role does timing play?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:35:52 PM)
Guest, that's a good question, and the answer is "it depends."  Most schools will definitely eye the wait-list before finalizing second and third round admits so don't wait until after decisions go out. You want to submit at least some of your ammunition before the decision date. . .But keep in mind that you could be on the waitlist for a while and you don't want to send it all in now.

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 6:36:54 PM)
Neal, maybe space out the letters of recommendation rather than all at once.

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 6:37:01 PM)
UNC says that they don't have much time to give feedback but that wait-listed applicants can usually "figure out" what they need to improve.  They want to hear about promotions but also about classes taken. So they are open to new information.

RL (Feb 17, 2004 6:37:16 PM)
Can you please give me a rough estimate as to what percent of waitlisted applicants eventually get accepted?  I understand this may be difficult and is a changing figure, but your best guess would be great.  Specifically, for Chicago, Johnson, and Stern.  Thanks!

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:38:02 PM)
RL, I really don't like to pick numbers out of the air. I also think there is a difference between people who are passive on the waitlist and those who are active. Finally, there is an enormous difference from year to year.

Neal (Feb 17, 2004 6:38:10 PM)
Linda, thank you so much for your insight.  Can you also comment on the Stanford's waitlist strategy in general?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:38:21 PM)
Neal, has Stanford provided any instructions?

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 6:38:56 PM)
Cornell encourages wait-listed applicants to get in touch after mid-May when main admissions season ends. They also want to hear about courses taken, and like UNC, they believe the applicant can figure out what the problem was.  They *do* encourage personal visits to campus. Basically: show interest and "be patient."

Neal (Feb 17, 2004 6:39:01 PM)
Linda, they just said you can write a standard letter reiterating your interest and if possible send another reference letter.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:39:44 PM)
We have seen where a visit to the school and a concerted campaign has been effective at Stanford.  In addition to what they are recommending, visit the school if possible, then write a letter again confirming your interest.  Mobilize that fan club and ask for letters of support...

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:40:16 PM)
I just want to caution with these letters that they should not be mere fluff pieces, but really have to say something substantive about you and your qualifications for these particular programs.

RL (Feb 17, 2004 6:40:31 PM)
For some of the schools, waitlist decisions do not roll out until June / July with the expectation that the student should be ready to attend in August. For an international student's perspective, however, this appears to be more challenging. I'm concerned that I will not be able to obtain a US Student Visa and student loans in time and may not be able to attend even if accepted.  Do you know if this has been the case for international applicants in the past?

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 6:40:32 PM)
Both UNC and Cornell (like most schools) state that the dynamics of their wait-list changes every year because it is dependent on how many slots are left. That is, there isn't necessarily an unchanging "school-specific" strategy for getting off the wait-list year over year.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:41:54 PM)
RL, that is a legitimate concern. Some schools will not admit international students after a certain date, but will encourage them to re-apply next year. Others will admit and if the student can't get the paperwork together in time, will hold a spot for the following year.  I believe, however, that more schools will follow the former course of action.  It binds them less.

RL (Feb 17, 2004 6:42:12 PM)
How do schools view waitlisted re-applicants? Are acceptance odds significantly increased the following year?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:43:42 PM)
I am assuming you mean wait-listed applicants who reapply the following year. At most schools, they are evaluated in the context of the second year's applicant pool so they have to measure up.  But the fact that they are reapplying and were waitlisted bodes well.  The school knows they are really interested, and that they were good enough to have almost made it the previous year.

wantanmba (Feb 17, 2004 6:43:48 PM)
What should current students say in the letters?  Are those letters like a recommendation letter?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:45:04 PM)
Very much wantanmba. They should discuss and focus on fit with the school. For instance, Darden values teamwork and interpersonal skills. A current student should be able to provide examples of how you demonstrated teamwork ability and strong interpersonal skill during his or her interaction with you and say how those skills would contribute to all the team-based case study at Darden.

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 6:45:17 PM)
UCLA put 245 applicants on the waitlist last year.  They say you can provide "limited, supplemental" info if you're on the waitlist.

Lenny K (Feb 17, 2004 6:45:31 PM)
This is my third time applying to HBS, the first year I was interviewed but rejected, second year I was also rejection, and now I am waitlisted. What do you think of my candidacy considering my dedication to HBS?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:45:55 PM)
Lenny, your dedication is impressive, but there is more to acceptance than dedication. There are tons of people seemingly dedicated to gaining admission to HBS.  I'm actually impressed that they wait-listed you this time. They are normally pretty tough on reapplicants.

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 6:46:24 PM)
Yale says their waitlist is "fairly short" so odds are not good there.  They admitted only one person off the waitlist last year--and he was a very strong applicant! Yale will provide feedback but does so in the form of a letter.

wantanmba (Feb 17, 2004 6:46:38 PM)
Linda, what else could I do in order to improve my chances at Columbia? I already retook the GMAT.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:47:06 PM)
wantanmba, what do you think are the weaknesses in your application vis--vis CBS?  Basically, you need to address them.

wantanmba (Feb 17, 2004 6:47:16 PM)
Linda, if I was already interviewed, could I ask for a second interview? How would schools see this situation?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:48:09 PM)
wantanmba, you can certainly arrange to visit the school, take the tour, etc. and offer to be interviewed again.

RL (Feb 17, 2004 6:48:16 PM)
Do you know if Chicago, Johnson, and Stern have fairly long or short waitlists?

INSD-SEP04 (Feb 17, 2004 6:48:42 PM)
My INSEAD interview was conducted by the alumni; do you think that it would be a good idea to contact the alumni (who had recommended me) for further advice?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:49:10 PM)
If you had a good rapport with the alum and he or she asked you to keep in touch or offered to help you, then yes, contact the alum.

Guest (Feb 17, 2004 6:49:22 PM)
Any Sloan specific advice?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:50:23 PM)
For Sloan, in correspondence, you want to emphasize evidence of your innovativeness and the qualities that Sloan values. Again, Sloan is one of those schools where regular contact and a demonstration of interest and fit can be effective.

Guest (Feb 17, 2004 6:50:31 PM)
Is it common for schools to waitlist the same applicant 2 years in a row?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:50:46 PM)
No, it's not.  But it does happen.  It is a tough situation to be in.

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 6:51:03 PM)
Stanford sends out a 2-page FAQ to waitlisted applicants.  It says they do not need more info, but they say they are open to hearing about "substantial updates."  They say they have admitted waitlisted applicants in the past who've submitted as many as "seven" waitlist letters.

wantanmba (Feb 17, 2004 6:51:13 PM)
Linda, that would be hard.  I live abroad. Another suggestion?  Perhaps an alumni or phone interview?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:51:35 PM)
wantanmba, you can certainly offer to do the phone interview.  I'm not sure of the value of an alumni interview at this point.

Lenny K (Feb 17, 2004 6:51:41 PM)
What do you know about the HBS wait list? Any stats?  How many people/what percent get wait listed?  How many get accepted? etc...

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:52:37 PM)
Lenny, I don't have stats, but my take is that it is very hard to get accepted from HBS's wait list. Their yield is roughly 80% if I remember correctly. So they have little need to draw from the wait-list.

wantanmba (Feb 17, 2004 6:53:19 PM)
What about Columbia? Is it hard?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:53:44 PM)
None of these schools is easy.  But I would say that CBS is on the more difficult end, but not as difficult as Harvard.  Columbia, also sends out a fairly specific letter to waitlisted applicants.  Did yours say anything besides the GMAT?

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 6:54:45 PM)
A recent successful waitlist applicant at Sloan actually contacted "10" friends and had each one write a letter about a separate personal (not professional) quality that made him unique. This same applicant recommends that it is not too late to contact MIT alums now and ask them for help on your behalf.  Each person you contact might know other people who would be willing to speak with you or interview you and then write a letter on your behalf to Rod Garcia. So hit the phones!

Lenny K (Feb 17, 2004 6:55:12 PM)
What do you mean that their yield is 80 percent?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:55:28 PM)
I mean eighty percent of applicants offered a spot at Harvard attend Harvard.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:56:53 PM)
Paul, do you remember where that journal entry about MIT's wait-list was?  Was it on BW Journal's?

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 6:57:11 PM)
HBS does not disclose its waitlist statistics, nor does CBS.

Neal (Feb 17, 2004 6:57:19 PM)
Linda - I have been trying to tell all my recommenders to go for what makes me unique and talk about fit for Stanford.  Do you think this is good approach?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:58:28 PM)
Neal, excellent approach. While uniqueness is good and should be included, I would weight the letters towards fit with Stanford, it's general management approach, special programs, small size, etc.

RL (Feb 17, 2004 6:58:44 PM)
Linda, for Chicago, you mentioned for me specifically to retake the GMAT and possibly another course. My undergraduate was in finance and I minored in accounting.  Although my quant courses received A's, all the other non-quant courses brought it down, thus contributing to the 3.0 GPA. Aside from these two things, is there anything else I should do?  I've already visited the campus on 3 separate occasions.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:59:05 PM)
RL, was your GMAT verbal score low?  Were there extenuating circumstances that contributed to the middling GPA?

HarryPotter (Feb 17, 2004 6:59:11 PM)
Thanks.. I saw Paul's note, drawing from Maxim Mironov's experience on BW Journal.

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 6:59:20 PM)
Darden's waitlist acceptance rate last year was 22% but their regular admission rate was 24%.

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 6:59:27 PM)
Linda, it was from an MIT student named Maxim Mironov on BW's MBA Insider

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 6:59:37 PM)
Thanks Paul.

RL (Feb 17, 2004 6:59:50 PM)
Linda, my GMAT verbal was 71, quant was 83.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:00:16 PM)
RL, so I'm guessing that the non-quant courses brought down your GPA. Right?

RL (Feb 17, 2004 7:00:26 PM)
Sadly, yes.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:00:55 PM)
Then take a class in Writing for Business or Business Communications.  Show them that you are working on the skills that you are weak in. Furthermore, show them you can earn an A.

hbswait2004 (Feb 17, 2004 7:01:05 PM)
Hi Linda, I was on waitlist for HBS Round 1 with an interview.  What are my chances to get-off and what can I do now to enhance my chances?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:01:50 PM)
hbs, we just mentioned that chances of getting off the HBS waitlist aren't good, but the best way to enhance your chances is to mobilize your fan club. Ask current students and recent alumni to write about your fit with HBS...In the case of HBS, they will need to emphasize your leadership qualities, ability to contribute to HBS's classroom discussion and case study, etc.  In addition if they happen to know about recent achievements and developments in your life, let them talk about them.

RL (Feb 17, 2004 7:02:52 PM)
But I understand the point you are getting at Linda, so thank you.

Harry (Feb 17, 2004 7:03:02 PM)
This is the URL for Mironov's journal. Useful for all waitlist applicants http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/mbajournal/03mironov/2.htm

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:03:11 PM)
Thanks Harry. It is an excellent entry.

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 7:03:29 PM)
Michigan admitted 16% off its waitlisted applicants last year vs. its 22% regular acceptance rate. Tuck admitted 20% off its waitlist. Chicago, Cornell, and MIT did not release waitlist stats.

Gigi (Feb 17, 2004 7:03:43 PM)
Is it better to be waitlisted "for the next round" than to be waitlisted "until we finish all the rounds?"

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:03:53 PM)
I am unaware of any advantage to either classification.

hbswait2004 (Feb 17, 2004 7:04:02 PM)
Thanks for the tips, Linda.  Do you think the HBS interview is make or break?  I don't think I did very well in the interview.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:04:25 PM)
It is a factor. It didn't break you, but it obviously didn't make you.  Did you interview on campus in Boston?

wantanmba (Feb 17, 2004 7:04:35 PM)
What is the difference between reconsider later and waitlisted? Are they the same?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:05:40 PM)
At CBS, reconsider later is usually for early decision applicants and CBS wants to consider them with the regular applicant pool.  It usually means that CBS isn't convinced of the applicant's fit with CBS.  Wait-listed means they want to see who accepts already extended offers of acceptance and then they turn to the wait-list.

RL (Feb 17, 2004 7:05:45 PM)
Thank you Linda for your advice. This is a great service you're providing and please keep more of these chats going!

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:05:49 PM)
Thank you.

hbswait2004 (Feb 17, 2004 7:05:54 PM)
I got interviewed via phone by adcom, as I am an international applicant.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:06:07 PM)
Any chance you can come to Boston?

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 7:06:29 PM)
Wantanmba, I think it's a matter of semantics. A waitlist is a formal process and category, "reconsider later" may be more amorphous.

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 7:06:56 PM)
Gigi:  I think it's better to be waitlisted for the next round because you could be admitted before all the admissions rounds are closed.

hbswait2004 (Feb 17, 2004 7:06:59 PM)
Will a visit there help my waitlist status?

wantanmba (Feb 17, 2004 7:07:07 PM)
So they are pretty much the same in terms of chances?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:07:51 PM)
HBSwait2004, it might.  It concretely demonstrates your interest in the program. Put your money and time where your mouth is. But it is a big gamble because there is not guarantee that it will make the difference.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:08:48 PM)
I am hearing rumors, that it makes a big difference, but I haven't confirmed them well enough so that I can stop labeling them rumors. Now I just repeat the rumors as rumors. :-)

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 7:09:04 PM)
Wantanmba: Yes, probably, but again it depends entirely on the school's situation--how many slots and how its waitlist process is timed.

wantanmba (Feb 17, 2004 7:09:06 PM)
Linda, any final advice for Columbia and Darden, please?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:10:04 PM)
wantanmba, basically develop a program of regular contact that keeps you in front of them and informed of developments in your life. In your correspondence with them, demonstrate the qualities that both schools value...For CBS, show how you intend to take advantage of CBS' NYC location, how will you contribute to CBS life and how will you add to the internationalism that CBS is so proud of.  For Darden, how do you intend to contribute to case study and class discussion...How can you demonstrate the social and interpersonal skills that are crucial in extensive teamwork.  Almost everything at Darden requires groups.

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 7:11:46 PM)
LBS admitted 27% off its waitlist last year vs. its regular 26% acceptance rate.

hbswait2004 (Feb 17, 2004 7:11:50 PM)
thank you Linda it really helps! will consider that option... who should I meet there?  The adcom member, my interviewer or students?  To be exact, what kind of topics  should I discuss with them i.e., re-iterating my intentions to go there?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:12:59 PM)
HBS has info sessions. Attend the info session. Ask to meet with an adcom member, but don't be surprised if you can't.  Also ask to meet with students.  If they won't set something up for you, then go to the student union and just strike up a conversation with some students in the hall or in the cafeteria. Learn what you can. Then after the visit send a thank you to whomever you spoke with.  Reiterate your interest in HBS and show how the visit was valuable in confirming that interest.

Bengal Tiger (Feb 17, 2004 7:14:07 PM)
I cannot thank you enough for your insight.  Linda this was very helpful.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:14:22 PM)
Thank you.

hbswait2004 (Feb 17, 2004 7:14:27 PM)
Linda, thank you very much for this... this is really helpful.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:14:47 PM)
I'm glad you are all finding this helpful. I appreciate the feedback.

hbswait2004 (Feb 17, 2004 7:14:53 PM)
Hi Paul, any stats on HBS waitlist admission? Thanks.

Gigi (Feb 17, 2004 7:15:01 PM)
Thanks Linda and Paul

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 7:15:07 PM)
They don't provide stats on their waitlist alas.

Neal (Feb 17, 2004 7:15:12 PM)
Linda, I spoke to the person who handles the waitlist at Columbia and asked him should I come for a visit to CBS again and meet him in person. I am a re-app to CBS and had met him last year. He basically told me "no", as he has already met me and knows my profile.  I have sent in all my updated information and now feel that I should fly to CBS and do another visit.  What are your thoughts?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:15:47 PM)
Don't' go if he said no.  But do have friends send in letters of support and do keep him posted on developments in your life.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:16:07 PM)
Remember, developments are obviously professional, but they can also relate to personal interests and community service.

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 7:16:21 PM)
UNC admitted 5.6% off its waitlist last year versus its 36% regular acceptance rate.

wantanmba (Feb 17, 2004 7:16:31 PM)
Linda, if I don't have any developments. What can I do?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:16:41 PM)
Initiate something.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:16:44 PM)
Are you volunteering?  Do you have a hobby?  Play sports, exercise.

Lenny K (Feb 17, 2004 7:16:51 PM)
Linda, thank you for your advice. Keep this going for the future.

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 7:16:54 PM)
Taking a class counts as a development.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:16:57 PM)
Thanks Lenny.

wantanmba (Feb 17, 2004 7:17:02 PM)
Yeah, but I already mentioned that in my application.

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 7:17:09 PM)
Take another one?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:17:19 PM)
wantanmba, have you moved to another level in your class?  Have you done well in the class?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:17:49 PM)
Thank you again all for participating this evening.

Neal (Feb 17, 2004 7:17:55 PM)
Thanks Linda.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:17:58 PM)
I want to mention that Accepted.com's editors are available to advise on and edit wait-list letters. If you are interested, please visit http://www.accepted.com/services/servicescategory.aspx?categoryid=3 .

wantanmba (Feb 17, 2004 7:18:00 PM)
I am not taking any classes. Should I take one?

Lenny K (Feb 17, 2004 7:18:22 PM)
Since the time of my interview at HBS I took a class at NYU continuing education school and I opened a new company.  Even though I cannot communicate that to HBS myself is it okay for my fan club to do so?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:18:26 PM)
I also want to invite you to attend the INSEAD class on February 26 at 9:00 AM PT/12:00 PM ET/5:00 PM GMT.

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:18:41 PM)
Lenny, absolutely!

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:19:11 PM)
Thank you all for coming.

INSD-SEP04 (Feb 17, 2004 7:19:12 PM)
Thanks Linda

Paul_Bodine (Feb 17, 2004 7:19:21 PM)
Good luck everyone!

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:19:36 PM)
Good luck!  If you get in, please shoot me an e-mail and let me know you attended the chat and made it in.

wantanmba (Feb 17, 2004 7:19:54 PM)
What is your email?

Linda Abraham (Feb 17, 2004 7:20:05 PM)
You can send me an inquiry using our inquiry form at http://accepted.com/services/generalinquiry.aspx .

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room