2005 UCLA Anderson MBA Admissions Chat with Linda Baldwin

2005 UCLA Anderson MBA Admissions Chat with Linda Baldwin

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Chat Transcript:

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:10:46 PM)
First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com's UCLA admissions chat.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:11:16 PM)
I also want to welcome Linda Baldwin, Director of Admissions; Wes Hawk, Associate Director; and Lillian Lai, Manager of Off-campus Recruitment and Interviewing. Thanks to everyone for joining.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:11:29 PM)
Initially unmoderated: I encourage dialogue and discussion, but I would like to suggest a structure to make it easier to follow the threads of conversation. So here is the protocol: We will post material to the chat. If you have a question on that material, please type a '?' and then your question. One of our guests, another participant, or I will reply. If one of you wants to comment on the current topic, please jump right in. If you want to start a different topic, please type '?'.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:11:41 PM)
If the crowd this evening grows and a moderated chat becomes more beneficial, we'll switch to that format to avoid the chaotic feel that some other chats have had. When we switch to a moderated chat, all your questions will come to me. I will choose the questions that have the broadest application and those questions will appear in the main window for our guests to reply to. If and when we switch to a moderated format, you will only see your question in the main window if and when it is chosen. You will not see it if it is not chosen.

LindaBAldwinUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:11:44 PM)
Linda, Lillian will not be joining us this evening.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:11:56 PM)
OK. Thanks, Linda.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:11:59 PM)
Final request: We would like to avoid the brief summary of qualifications (or even the long laundry list) followed by the question, "Can I qualify?" or "What are my chances?". This isn't the forum for that kind of analysis.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:12:09 PM)
Other than that limitation, this is your chance to ask questions about Anderson's program and admissions policies. Please post your questions.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:12:46 PM)
I have a question from someone who couldn't be here.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:13:00 PM)
I am very interested in Entertainment and Media Management Institute's courses. But I don't know if this is part of Anderson's MBA program or not. If I study at the Anderson MBA program, do I have the chance to study at Entertainment and Media Management Institute's courses?

SanDiego (Sep 28, 2004 6:13:53 PM)
Hi LindaBaldwinUCLA, could you share some information about last year's application situation, such as application volume, admission rate, etc.?

LindaBAldwinUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:14:32 PM)
Linda, the Entertainment and Media Management Institute is an offering within our MBA Program; yes, you may take courses and attend events. Please see our website for more details at www.anderson.ucla.edu .

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:15:22 PM)
Hi, SanDiego - we had around 3,000 apps, an entering class of 330, and accepted about 700. You can find the full profile at http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x5968.xml

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:15:39 PM)
If you are looking at an application and the numbers and basic profile is in the ballpark for an Anderson student, what distinguishes an application that is accepted from one that is rejected?

sara (Sep 28, 2004 6:16:20 PM)
What's new at Anderson?

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:17:31 PM)
Hi, Sara - Glad you asked. There is a lot going on at Anderson; we have been very busy as we strive to build upon the program. I invite you to check out our website and recent media releases - http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/media.xml .

sara (Sep 28, 2004 6:17:55 PM)
Thanks.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:18:01 PM)
What are the acceptance rates for the different rounds?

surdee (Sep 28, 2004 6:18:07 PM)
Suppose I apply to a 2-year full-time program in the 1st round and get rejected. Can I apply later for the FEMBA program?

LindaBAldwinUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:18:25 PM)
Linda, definitely the subjective indicators such as the essays, recommendations, work history and involvements that indicate accomplishments, initiative, leadership and the contributions a candidate might make to his/her fellow classmates.

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:19:01 PM)
Hi, Surdee - you can only apply to one program per year (FEMBA, EMBA, or MBA).

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:19:19 PM)
How is Anderson responding to the drop in application volume? Do you anticipate it turning around this year?

surdee (Sep 28, 2004 6:19:20 PM)
Thank you.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:19:24 PM)
Please post your questions.

Guest1234 (Sep 28, 2004 6:19:26 PM)
Hi, Linda, I have a question about UCLA's part time program. I know that you have quite a few students commuting from the SF bay area, but I was wondering how successful they are in participating the school's activities. Moreover, I am interested in getting an MBA to become an entrepreneur in the technology sector in a few years, so I want to be active in an entrepreneurship club. Given the physical distance issue and the limited amount of time I can dedicate, as I will be working full time, is it realistic for me to enroll in Anderson's PT MBA program and be able to participate in the entrepreneurship club and also be able to concentrate on gaining solid business fundamentals?

LindaBAldwinUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:20:10 PM)
Linda, we don't provided that information. I can generally say that about 70% to 75% of the admits are from the 1st and 2nd rounds. The remainder are from the third and fourth rounds.

SanDiego (Sep 28, 2004 6:20:43 PM)
Hi, WeshawkUCLA, Do you know why one person is only allowed to apply to one program per year? It seems somewhat unreasonable.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:21:10 PM)
Thanks, Linda. So obviously, if one's application is ready, it pays to get it in early. Do you use the last two rounds mainly to "fill out" the class and ensure diversity?

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:21:31 PM)
Hi,Linda - We are always actively seeking the best candidates and it is too early to tell what the app volume will be like, but it may be close to last year as the GMAT test takers are about the same.

LindaBAldwinUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:21:58 PM)
Guest 1234: you should check the FEMBA website at http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x47.xml .

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:22:35 PM)
Actually I just looked at the GMAT volume figures, and it seems that through the year the percentage of the decline has shrunk, so now it is very close to last year's volume. In other words, I think it is actually picking up slightly when compared to earlier this year.

sara (Sep 28, 2004 6:23:34 PM)
What is UCLA's policy towards reapps?

Guest1234 (Sep 28, 2004 6:23:36 PM)
Thanks, Linda.

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:23:41 PM)
Hi SD - They are different types of programs and I encourage you to research the different aspects of each. Most people find that one program is better for them and their situation and apply to that program.

SanDiego (Sep 28, 2004 6:23:42 PM)
? When you consider work experience, do you count the working experience of research or teaching assistants in universities? Does 2.5 working experience (by application) sound too short?

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:24:21 PM)
How is recruiting going this year? How are international students doing in the job market?

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:24:30 PM)
Are there any international students here this evening?

surdee (Sep 28, 2004 6:24:55 PM)
International, that's me.

SanDiego (Sep 28, 2004 6:24:55 PM)
I am an international student.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:25:04 PM)
Where are you from?

surdee (Sep 28, 2004 6:25:06 PM)
? Regarding FEMBA, do we need to get an assurance/approval from our current employer that this candidate will be employed for 3 years?

SanDiego (Sep 28, 2004 6:25:15 PM)
China.

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:25:16 PM)
Hi, Sara - Re-apps just have to submit one additional essay, an additional let. or rec, and any new GMAT/transcripts. They are looked at as every other candidate, no advantages or disadvantages.

surdee (Sep 28, 2004 6:25:17 PM)
India.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:25:25 PM)
Welcome.

LindaBAldwinUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:25:30 PM)
Linda, there is a slight pick up in attendance at the fairs/forums and we are also seeing more rsvps to our Information Evenings. See http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x5525.xml to sign up for these events.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:26:14 PM)
Wes, are you looking for anything specifically when you re-evaluate a re-applicant?

mike (Sep 28, 2004 6:26:50 PM)
Someone asked and it's of interest to me, too: Do you count research assistance/graduate assistance as work experience?

SanDiego (Sep 28, 2004 6:27:09 PM)
I heard Anderson did not interview all applicants who finally got the admission. So how do you decide who should get an interview and who should be given an offer without an interview?

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:27:17 PM)
What are the early indicators for this year's job search?

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:27:20 PM)
Hi SD - We do count all forms of work experience. We actually accept some people straight from college, so it isn't the amount of work experience, but the quality that counts.

LindaBAldwinUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:27:59 PM)
Linda, recruiting is going well. We have approximately 90% placed, so it is a very different year from last year. As for international students, they have done well in landing internships and also in getting jobs both here and in their home countries.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:28:36 PM)
Thanks, Linda. That sounds a lot better than what we heard a year or two ago.

mike (Sep 28, 2004 6:28:55 PM)
So what factors would you be looking at in a research assistant kind of work experience, since most research work tends to be individual?

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:29:37 PM)
Hi, Linda - We look for the same things as the other applicants, but we also take a look to see what has changed since last year. We evaluate applicants’ prospects as future leaders and their projected ability to succeed in and profit from the MBA programs.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:30:47 PM)
In reviewing your web site, I sensed an increased emphasis on leadership at Anderson. While I realize it was always valued, it seems as if a few years ago the weight was on teamwork and cooperation. Am I imagining a change or is there a shift in emphasis?

SanDiego (Sep 28, 2004 6:31:46 PM)
? Does Anderson have any alumni clubs in Asia? How is the interaction between Anderson and the Asian market?

LindaBAldwinUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:32:09 PM)
SanDiego - Interviewing is much more accessible at UCLA Anderson. You can choose to sign up for an interview on our online Interview Scheduler ( http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x5525.xml ), it's on a first come first basis; you can submit your application, and on the strength of your application and the absence of a prior interview we will arrange an interview; or should we place you on the waitlist, we will offer you an opportunity to interview if you have not previously had one.

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:32:09 PM)
Hi, Mike - As for work experience, we do not make a distinction with regards to industry or job function, but with what specifically you have participated in, especially in terms of leadership roles. Everyone has a unique situation, so it is impossible to say what the ideal research assist. position would be.

sara (Sep 28, 2004 6:32:21 PM)
When you review an application, what do you start with and what is the last thing you see?

LindaBAldwinUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:34:29 PM)
Sara, reviewing an application is not a linear experience. Rather, we take in all facets of the application. Certainly, one spends a little more time on the essays.

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:34:41 PM)
Hi, Linda - We have always prided ourselves with the wonderful culture at UCLA Anderson, and that spirit of teamwork and cooperation are still alive and well. But leadership has always been an emphasis since we are creating leaders of all industries, from business to non-profits.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:35:07 PM)

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:35:22 PM)
I guess the applicants should also spend a little more time on the essays.

mo (Sep 28, 2004 6:35:33 PM)
Hello, I have heard that students from a particular industry (say from the high tech) tend to get a job in the same industry after they get an MBA. Do you think it is easy to switch from, say, high-tech to finance or consulting after the MBA degree at Anderson, as employers will usually emphasize your previous experiences?

SanDiego (Sep 28, 2004 6:35:51 PM)
When you talk about leadership, do you give more credits to the applicants with a higher position in their work?

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:36:25 PM)
How do you use the letters of recommendation and the interviews in evaluating a candidate? What function do they serve? For that matter, what function do the essays serve?

LindaBAldwinUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:37:25 PM)
Linda, essays are very important in addressing the basic questions about why, what and how the MBA experience fits into one's plans. It reveals who the applicant is and, further, what s/he aspires to be.

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:38:02 PM)
Hi, Mo - A very large amount of students end up switching industries after the MBA program. Switching industries is very doable if you know which industry you want to get into, get involved in clubs, network with alums, go to company presentations, and do your research. Employers are looking for the best students and motivated students, regardless of background.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:38:39 PM)
Does Anderson's Career Center help career changers? If so, how?

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:39:11 PM)
Hi SD - It isn't so much the job title that is important, but what one was actually doing at the job. That comes through in the resume, essays, and LORs. Quality counts, not titles.

surdee (Sep 28, 2004 6:39:22 PM)
During the course of my FEMBA, can I change jobs?

SanDiego (Sep 28, 2004 6:39:28 PM)
Hi, LindaUCLA, could you rank the following factors by their impacts on the application: essay, GMAT score, work experience, interview? Which one is most important for an Anderson applicant?

LindaBAldwinUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:40:59 PM)
Linda, the recommendations and interviews add further insights into what the applicant has told us about him/herself. It in most cases, it affirms the applicant, and in some cases can even be immodest in bringing to our attention additional attributes and accomplishments that an applicant might feel too embarrassed to express about him/herself.

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:41:04 PM)
Hi Linda - The CMC is doing a fantastic job of helping all students, and does a great deal to help career changers. From resume reviews to day on the jobs, dinner for eights, individual counseling, etc., I invite you to check out the CMC website at: http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x39.xml  to learn more about what they do.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:41:35 PM)
Thanks, Linda and Wes.

LindaBAldwinUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:42:25 PM)
surdee, you should address your questions to the FEMBA program. You can call them at (310) 825-2632 to get a list of when they will be conducting information sessions.

Guest1234 (Sep 28, 2004 6:43:04 PM)
Linda, Anderson is one of the top schools for entrepreneurship. I was wondering if you can talk about some of the new ventures that have been started in Anderson's entrepreneurship development cells.

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:43:05 PM)
Hi SD - all of the factors are important aspects of the application and we do a comprehensive review and look at the total application.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:43:14 PM)
Linda, do FEMBA applicants have the same access to the CMC as regular MBAs?

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:43:43 PM)
SD, my answer to that question is that the weakest element is the most important element.

mike (Sep 28, 2004 6:43:52 PM)
How would UCLA view an application from a person who is targeting a non-conventional industry like construction after getting an MBA? There are not many recruiters coming to b-schools from this type of industry. Would you see it as a positive factor increasing the diversity of the class?

sara (Sep 28, 2004 6:46:45 PM)
Since I'm just beginning to research business schools, can you tell me about some of Anderson's strengths in addition to entrepreneurship?

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:46:49 PM)
Hi Guest1234 - There are many avenues to pursuing a new venture, including the business creation option in the AMR, the Knapp Venture competition, and a variety of activities through the Price Center, which you can find at: http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x554.xml  or feel free to call them at: (310) 825-2985.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:47:03 PM)
How can MBAs take advantage of UCLA's new Entertainment and Media management Institute?

Guest1234 (Sep 28, 2004 6:47:06 PM)
Thanks, Wes.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:48:05 PM)

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:48:19 PM)
Hi Linda - The CMC has staff that works directly with FEMBA and helps those students. But all full time MBA students have full access to the CMC and their resources.

SoCalGuy (Sep 28, 2004 6:48:47 PM)
I am planning to reapply to the full-time program. I interviewed last year. Would you suggest I interview again this year?

LindaBAldwinUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:48:58 PM)
Mike - we do get applications from individuals from the construction industry, typically wanting to broaden their academic understanding of business and also to have great flexibility in pursuing a number of paths related to real estate. You're correct in assuming that not many construction companies utilize on-campus interviewing. You would have to utilize academic internships, alumni networks and do a lot of informational interviews to make connections in the construction industry.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:49:16 PM)
Wes, I'm sorry, did your answer mean that FEMBA students have limited access to the CMC, or that they have their own staff and full access?

Paul_Bodine (Sep 28, 2004 6:50:24 PM)
Goals essay question: Is it true that you view applicants negatively who define their career goals *too* specifically, i.e., they need the MBA for a very narrowly defined purpose?

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:51:02 PM)
Hi, Sara - There are many strengths of the UCLA Anderson program, including finance, marketing, entertainment, entrepreneurship, operations, OB/OD, etc. If you want to be challenged and have the opportunity to grow and learn from faculty, alums, and fellow students then I invite you to learn more about our program at our website, http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x1217.xml , and feel free to come to an info session when we are in your town. http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x5525.xml .

LindaBAldwinUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:51:04 PM)
SoCal Guy: Did you sent a written request for the reason of your rejection? If not, I would suggest you do so. We would indicate to you that an interview redo might be wise if this were the case.

sara (Sep 28, 2004 6:51:26 PM)
Thanks.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:51:42 PM)
Linda or Wes, can any rejected applicant seek feedback from UCLA?

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:52:27 PM)
Should international applicants be concerned about the ability of the adcom to interpret a foreign transcript?

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:52:33 PM)

SoCalGuy (Sep 28, 2004 6:53:45 PM)
No, I did not send a written request. I know where my weakness was - GMAT. But I will go ahead and send a request. What exactly should I state in the letter? Shall I e-mail it? If so, to what address?

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:53:53 PM)
Linda - I know that they have full access to the CMC library and resources, and they have their own dedicated staff.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:54:08 PM)
Thanks for clarifying.

LindaBAldwinUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:54:14 PM
Linda - we typically respond to these requests for reasons behind a rejection from late June to end of September. Anyone can make a request in writing/e-mail. After September, we are too busy to make this a priority.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:54:30 PM)
Thanks.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:55:37 PM)
If an applicant has a less than desirable GPA and wants to show that he or she can now perform in an academic environment, is the applicant better off taking classes in a traditional environment or in a distance learning program, where perhaps he or she could take more classes because the program is self-paced?

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:55:37 PM)
Hi SoCalGuy - Just state that you would like the reason for your rejection letter and indicate what address you would like us to send it to, since many people move over the course of a year. Please send a written request to our office.

SoCalGuy (Sep 28, 2004 6:56:19 PM)
OK. Great. I wasn't aware that there was such a process. Thanks.

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:56:41 PM)
Linda - Foreign transcripts are not a problem, as we have been doing this for years. Last year we had applicants from over 91 countries and did okay :-)

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:56:42 PM)
What does Anderson offer students' significant others?

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:57:21 PM)
91 countries! Wow. So you don't recommend that applicants "translate" their GPA or try to equate it to a 4.0 scale. Correct?

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:57:44 PM)
Actually, your application is quite clear about how Anderson views different degrees from around the world.

surdee (Sep 28, 2004 6:58:30 PM)
I'm not sure how many letters of recommendation Anderson needs, but does it hurt the application if all letters are from the employer? Is it advisable to get recommendations from people in different areas like work , school etc.?

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:58:34 PM)
Hi, Linda - Please do not try to translate the GPA. We will do all the calculations on our end as we are familiar with the grading systems from different countries/schools.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 6:59:43 PM)
Will UCLA consider an application from someone who has an MBA from a school abroad?

LindaBAldwinUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 6:59:54 PM)
Linda, there is actually a club for significant others called Joint Ventures. They offer a series of activities for significant others. See the website: http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/zone/clubs/jointventure/ .

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 7:00:32 PM)
Hi, Surdee - We require two letters of recommendation and it does not hurt if all letters are from the same company, as often times people have only worked for one employer.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 7:00:42 PM)

surdee (Sep 28, 2004 7:00:49 PM)
Excellent, thanks.

LindaBAldwinUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 7:01:25 PM)
Linda, yes, we will consider, though it is not likely that there is a good rationale for getting another MBA, even in the USA.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 7:01:51 PM)
Follow up on the letter of recommendation question: What if, unlike Surdee, one has worked at a couple of jobs and also has extensive community service? Will Anderson accept a 3rd recommendation?

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 7:02:58 PM)
Hi, Linda - Great question. Yes, we will, if it adds additional and unique insights into the applicant.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 7:04:12 PM)
Where do most students live? Housing is tight in LA in general and in West LA specifically.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 7:05:53 PM)
What advice do you have for older applicants?

mike (Sep 28, 2004 7:06:09 PM)
If I submit my application by Nov. 30th, would UCLA wait until the second round deadline to start reviewing it?

surdee (Sep 28, 2004 7:06:39 PM)
I was just checking the financial aid section of Anderson and did not see any mention of scholarships, only loans. Doesn't Anderson offer scholarships to deserving students?

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 7:06:44 PM)
Hi, Linda - Students live throughout LA, but mostly on the west side, Santa Monica, etc. There are many apartments around UCLA and Santa Monica, and its supply isn't too bad. Also, we have on-campus housing in our new Weyburn Terrace that was just built this year. And a few options for married students. You can find more info on housing at: http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x6448.xml#life .

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 7:06:59 PM)
Thanks.

SoCalGuy (Sep 28, 2004 7:07:12 PM)
I am planning to reapply. I know that I need to submit another letter of rec. Does it matter if it is from someone who wrote me a recommendation last year, or can it be someone totally different?

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 7:07:26 PM)
What is the most common mistake applicants make?

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 7:07:44 PM)
Last call for questions.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 7:08:42 PM)
Is there an advantage to applying "early" within a round? Do you review applications in the order they are received?

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 7:09:01 PM)
Hi, Mike - we would wait until we are done reading first round applications. Depending on how fast we are, we may get to it before Jan. 5th. It just depends.

mike (Sep 28, 2004 7:09:34 PM)
Thanks.

Paul_Bodine (Sep 28, 2004 7:09:49 PM)
Will you accept all-in-one recommendation letters (a letter covering several schools' recommendation letter questions) as long as they answer all the questions on your form?

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 7:10:16 PM)
Hi, SoCal - If you are re-applying, I would encourage you to get the LOR from somebody totally different so that she/he can add another perspective to your file.

SoCalGuy (Sep 28, 2004 7:10:25 PM)
Cool. Thanks.

LindaBAldwinUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 7:11:04 PM)
Linda - I don't view candidates in terms of age. Rather, we look at the nature of their experiences and what they have accomplished over time. Often, candidates who have been in the work force for a number of years have not been engaged in academic settings and may have lost some of their test taking skills. I would suggest if this is the case to take some extension/community college classes to revive old knowledge/skills, and also to engage in a test preparation that is rigorous. Furthermore, candidates who have extensive work experience should thoroughly explore the different MBA program options, i.e., FEMBA and EMBA at http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x119.xml .

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 7:11:29 PM)
Thanks, Linda.

WeshawkUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 7:12:58 PM)
Hi, Linda - There is no one mistake that most applicants make. You see a variety of them. But in general, I would encourage people to be open and honest in the essays and share with us their true passions and goals. Don't tell us what you think we want to read, as those types of responses usually come across as stale and flat.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 7:13:40 PM)
Wes, I can tell you that I frequently ask that question, and your response is the most common answer, so it must be the most common mistake. :-)

LindaBAldwinUCLA (Sep 28, 2004 7:14:34 PM)
Hi, Paul, sure-we'll accepted an LOR in letter format that covers the areas that we are assessing. However, the recommender must also complete our assessment ranking grid.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 7:15:18 PM)
Thank you again all for participating this evening. Special thanks to Linda and Wes for joining us today.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 7:15:28 PM)
We look forward to seeing you at future chats. On deck:

SoCalGuy (Sep 28, 2004 7:15:38 PM)
Thank you, Linda & Wes.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 7:15:39 PM)
Haas -- October 11; NYU Stern -- October 13; HEC -- October 18; Forte Foundation -- October 19; CMU -- October 27

Paul_Bodine (Sep 28, 2004 7:15:40 PM)
Thank you, UCLA.

surdee (Sep 28, 2004 7:15:48 PM)
Thank you.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 7:15:53 PM)
Please check the website ( http://www.accepted.com/chat/schedule.aspx ) for exact times.

mike (Sep 28, 2004 7:15:56 PM)
Thanks.

Linda Abraham (Sep 28, 2004 7:16:01 PM)
Have a very good evening! Good luck with your applications!

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room