2006 UCLA Anderson MBA Admissions Chat with Linda Baldwin

2006 UCLA Anderson MBA Admissions Chat with Linda Baldwin

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Dec 21, 2005 10:00:39 AM)
First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com's UCLA Anderson admissions chat.

Linda Abraham (Dec 21, 2005 10:00:52 AM)
I also want to welcome Linda Baldwin, Director of Admissions; Wes Hawk, Senior Associate Director of Admissions; Deena Williams, Associate Director of Admissions and Christos Sklavenitis, Associate Director of Admissions.

mbacandidate (Dec 21, 2005 10:02:29 AM)
I was wondering if there is a calculus completion requirement prior to enrolling at UCLA. If so, would I be able to satisfy that requirement by completing an online calculus course via University of Phoenix online, a class covering both differential and integral calculus?

jrcoletti (Dec 21, 2005 10:02:57 AM)
Wes: What percentage is the application volume up or down this year for your full time program, based on Round 1 applications received?

ChristosSklavenitisUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:03:05 AM)
mbacandidate: There is no specific requirement for calculus, although due to the quantitative nature of the core curriculum, we do advise that you complete a calculus class if you haven't taken one at the collegiate level. Any medium you choose to take the course is better than no exposure at all!

busintellprospect (Dec 21, 2005 10:03:07 AM)
Deena: How would you describe the business/competitive intelligence classes at UCLA? How many are available?

mba2006 (Dec 21, 2005 10:04:17 AM)
Christos: Can you comment on the experience of older MBA students? What are some of the challenges they face and what is the best way to overcome them?

weshawkUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:05:14 AM)
Jrcoletti, we are finding that apps are up this year versus last year. It is too early in the process to tell how much since we have four rounds, but suffice to say applications are up.

Vincent (Dec 21, 2005 10:05:35 AM)
Wes: Currently there are no longer any openings to schedule an on campus interview. When will the new schedule be posted on line, and should we submit the application without an interview scheduled?

weshawkUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:06:32 AM)
Hi Vincent, on campus interviews can be scheduled on-line and new ones are posted throughout the quarter. We will have new ones up in early Jan. You can find more info at http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x2936.xml.

RedLight1 (Dec 21, 2005 10:06:38 AM)
Wes: I am particularly interested in strategy/business development in Media/E-commerce - what kind of courses do you have in that area?

DeenaWilliamsUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:06:55 AM)
Hi busintellprospect: We have a variety of general management and strategy courses at UCLA Anderson. You can find a list of our courses at http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x2970.xml or by specific career path at http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x9071.xml.

amit_bakshi (Dec 21, 2005 10:07:07 AM)
Deena: I have been trying to schedule an an on-campus interview, but all the slots are full. I know that you will be adding more slots after the new year, but I am leaving the country for 6 months starting 1/10. What is the likelihood of me getting to interview if I show up at the admissions office on 1/4 without an appointment?

ChristosSklavenitisUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:08:26 AM)
mba2006: I think that at the onset, having been out of school longer may require a greater 'resurrection' of study habits/academic discipline. Also, there could be the challenge of leading people in an academic setting who have much less professional experience and possibly a less developed view of the world. And thirdly, it requires sometimes a more concerted effort at re-engineering a career. Despite all this, I think that all students are able to have a very rewarding experience, and it can be 'rejuvenating'.

John_Bixby (Dec 21, 2005 10:08:50 AM)
Christos: I have had extensive calculus experience, but am very rusty. How important is it that our skills are up to speed on day 1 of class?

weshawkUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:09:04 AM)
Hi Redlight1, We have a variety of classes every year in those areas, especially strategy and e-commerce. You can find a list of classes for each area at http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x41.xml. Also, you can find some sample electives at http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x9071.xml.

mba06 (Dec 21, 2005 10:09:16 AM)
Wes: Have the interview invites with alumni for international applicants who submitted their applications in the first round been sent out yet?

weshawkUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:10:20 AM)
Hi MBA06, we are still in the middle of reading Round 1 applications; each application is read multiple times so it takes some time to get through the adcom. We have sent out some invites for interviews but more will be coming as we finish reading all the Round 1 applications.

ChristosSklavenitisUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:10:21 AM)
john_bixby: If you've had more than 1 or 2 collegiate level calculus courses and have graduated within the last 6-8 years, you would probably have the exposure level you'd need to succeed unless you plan to go into very deep finance/valuation courses.

DeenaWilliamsUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:10:21 AM)
Hi amit_bakshi: We normally do not take walk-in interviews. However, given your situation we will see what we can do. Email your request including your dates of availability to mba.admissions@anderson.ucla.edu.

orion (Dec 21, 2005 10:10:25 AM)
Wes: Do most students live in the Westwood area and does UCLA provide any graduate school specific housing?

David (Dec 21, 2005 10:10:38 AM)
Deena: I have been trying to schedule an interview in the month of January however none seem to be available, either in my local area (San Francisco) or on campus. Are any slots going to open up?

weshawkUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:11:17 AM)
Hi Orion, Most students tend to live nearby in Santa Monica. We do have a fair number that do live in Westwood as we do have graduate housing for single and married couples.

Linda Abraham (Dec 21, 2005 10:11:44 AM)
Deena, actually there are a lot of questions regarding lack of interview slots and how to handle the situation. Will lack of an interview hurt an applicant?

>>Guest (Dec 21, 2005 10:11:59 AM)
Wes: What percent of applicants from UC schools are "generally" accepted to UCLA?

DeenaWilliamsUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:12:16 AM)
Hi David: We will be adding interview slots at the beginning of January. Please check online at http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x2936.xml for more information.

mba2006 (Dec 21, 2005 10:12:21 AM)
Deena: I am also curious if you could expand on opportunities to take classes at partner institutions.

>>mbacandidate (Dec 21, 2005 10:12:52 AM)
Linda: What kind of career opportunities are available for students looking to move back to the East Coast after graduation. I loved my visit to UCLA but am interested in moving back East afterwards.

DeenaWilliamsUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:13:04 AM)
Hi Linda: Although interviews are not required, many applicants find that an interview provides them with an opportunity to personalize their individual cases beyond what has been articulated in the application. On campus interviews can be scheduled on-line and new ones are posted throughout the quarter. While off campus alumni interviews are by invitation only. For more information see http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x2936.xml.

DeenaWilliamsUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:14:17 AM)
Hi mba2006: UCLA Anderson students may take up to 3 electives in partner institutions. We have relationships with 47 different universities across the world and approximately Hi mba2006: UCLA Anderson students may take up to 3 electives in some of the other schools at UCLA for credit. In addition, we have relationships with 47 different universities across the world and approximately 60 students will take advantage of this program every year. You can find out more at: http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x7181.xml

>>Guest (Dec 21, 2005 10:14:24 AM)
Deena: I am interested in knowing more about the Anderson research centers and Specialized groups. What is the difference between the activities of that of the Research center and the Specialized group? Are the research centers for the MBA graduates or PHD program candidates?

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:16:04 AM)
MBAcandidate, a significant portion of our graduates go right to the East Coast after our MBA program, for example to Wall Street or to consulting jobs. Fortunately our nationally-respected program and our alumni network help to make the degree portable nationally and even internationally.

jrcoletti (Dec 21, 2005 10:16:05 AM)
Linda Baldwin: I know that UCLA awards over 100 dean's and named fellowships. Are there typically 1 or 2 years awards? What is the average or median amount of these awards?

Vessi (Dec 21, 2005 10:16:23 AM)
Deena: What does a typical day look like? How many organizations are students involved in?

mba06 (Dec 21, 2005 10:19:13 AM)
Wes: Have the interview invites for applicants of the first round been sent?

DeenaWilliamsUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:19:22 AM)
Hi Vessi: A typical day for an Anderson student is very busy. In addition to studying and conducting their job search, our students are very active in over 35 student organizations. For more information on student clubs, visit http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x9335.xml.

Jenny (Dec 21, 2005 10:19:32 AM)
Deena: Is there anyway to get in touch with a student who is concentrating in real estate at Anderson?

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:19:54 AM)
JRColetti, there are some fellowships that are 1-year and some 2-year, which are awarded to about the top 20% of the incoming class according to how much we expect that they will add to the experience of everyone here. Naturally the highest merit is rewarded with the greatest support, spread over two years. All MBA students are eligible to compete for 2nd-year fellowships based on their performance here -- what I'm trying to say is their contribution both in and out of the classroom the first year.

MP (Dec 21, 2005 10:19:58 AM)
Hi Linda, I was just wondering about international internship/job recruiting. I am from the east coast and am quite interested in Anderson's Health program. I am not sure where I would like to be yet after graduation, but am considering going abroad. Approximately what percentage of your graduates go abroad, and do most of them go outside of the recruiting process to get there? Thanks in advance.

weshawkUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:20:27 AM)
Hi Mba06, We are in the middle of reading R1 applications. Some invites have been sent but we will be sending more as we continue to read through R1files.

Brett (Dec 21, 2005 10:20:35 AM)
Wes: How optional is the optional essay? I would like to include it, but I don't want the admissions staff to have to read yet another essay if they really don't want to.

DeenaWilliamsUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:21:56 AM)
Hi Jenny: The Student Admissions Service (SAS) matches applicants with students with similar interests and/or background. Please send an email to contact.student@anderson.ucla.edu.

jf (Dec 21, 2005 10:22:03 AM)
Deena: What are you looking for in the first essay?

weshawkUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:23:03 AM)
Hi Brett, Great question. The optional essay is truly optional. Please use your best judgment. In the past people have used that space to explain gaps in employment, other extraordinary circumstances, or to highlight something that didn't come up in the overall app. But again, use your best judgment when adding an optional essay. Cheers, Wes

>>Guest (Dec 21, 2005 10:23:10 AM)
Wes: How do "early career" applicants typically fare with students with more work experience?

aaron@ucla (Dec 21, 2005 10:23:41 AM)
I went to UCLA as an undergrad and I lived in family housing. It was a great experience

DeenaWilliamsUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:24:30 AM)
Hi jf: In essay #1, we are interested in learning about your background. It is the perfect opportunity for you to tell the adcom what makes you unique.

John_Bixby (Dec 21, 2005 10:24:53 AM)
Deena: My father attended UCLA's Masters in Engineering program in Engineering Management, and made the comment to me that UCLA seemed a bit like a factory, due to its large size. How much similarity is there between Anderson and the Engineering Management program? What steps does Anderson take to ensure a sense of community among its students?

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:25:44 AM)
MP, about a quarter of our students go abroad right after graduation -- some as international students returning home and some as Americans taking jobs abroad. Many international students, by the way, take advantage of work visa programs that let them stay in the US for at least a year after graduation. Some on-campus recruiting is done by multinational companies looking to fill positions around the world, but most Americans getting foreign jobs find them with a self-directed search using our Parker Career Management Center resources, the alumni network, and/or a practical opportunity like our field study or exchange programs abroad.

Gavin (Dec 21, 2005 10:25:58 AM)
Linda: I am applying as a married student. Does UCLA offer relocation services to student spouses? Does UCLA permit spouses to audit MBA classes?

San Francisco (Dec 21, 2005 10:26:11 AM)
Christos: Are there many opportunities to study/work abroad during your two years?

DeenaWilliamsUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:26:59 AM)
Hi John_Bixby: UCLA has wide variety of very unique schools. To best understand the Anderson environment, you should visit our campus, sit in on a class and talk to students. Visit http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x2935.xml.

>>Guest (Dec 21, 2005 10:27:09 AM)
Deena: As an East Coast applicant, am I at a disadvantage because I will not be able to make it to the West Coast over the next few months for an on-campus interview?

mba06 (Dec 21, 2005 10:29:04 AM)
Wes: How can we update the admissions team if we have been involved in significant professional or community activities since the time we submitted our application?

ChristosSklavenitisUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:29:15 AM)
San Francisco: In the first term of the second year, students have the option of studying abroad. Additionally, in some instances (about 1/4), students will complete summer internships abroad. These are usually (but not restricted to) international students going home for the summer. Click here for information about study abroad: http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x7181.xml

orion (Dec 21, 2005 10:29:22 AM)
Christos: How strong is Anderson's entrepreneurial program and would you consider it an overall "strong point" for the school? What types of activities does it provide?

weshawkUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:30:57 AM)
Hi mba06, we will use the information that you provided at the time you submitted your application. However, if something significant has come up, feel free to update us by sending an e-mail to the main admissions address, mba.admissions@anderson.ucla.edu. Again, just use your best judgment in determining what would be a significant change/update that the adcom would benefit from learning about.

RedLight1 (Dec 21, 2005 10:31:09 AM)
Wes: For someone with several years of financial experience and the CFA designation, is it possible to place out of some of the first year required finance courses.

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:31:14 AM)
Gavin, we do not offer specific relocation services to spouses, but many "significant others" have networked through the contacts that students find here in order to find a job (e.g. through the alumni database). Spouses are also welcome to join events here on campus (sometimes coordinated through our Joint Ventures club), and they often take some of 1000+ classes available through the UCLA Extension program.

>>Guest (Dec 21, 2005 10:31:33 AM)
Linda: Which universities in India does Anderson have relationships with? How easy would it be to spend a quarter taking classes in India?

ChristosSklavenitisUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:32:39 AM)
Orion: We are very proud of our entrepreneurial program! The Price Center for Entrepreneurial studies is very highly regarded, and UCLA Anderson's entrepreneurial program was recently ranked #1 by the Financial Times. In addition to elective courses, students have the opportunity to 'flex their entrepreneurial muscle' with the Business Creation Option of the Applied Management Research Project, participate in the Knapp Venture Competition, and join and participate in events sponsored by the Entrepreneurial Association, among a host of others.

David (Dec 21, 2005 10:32:54 AM)
Christos: Interviews can occur after the admissions deadline, correct?

weshawkUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:33:29 AM)
Hi Ridlight1, we feel it is important to have students gain the skills from the core courses. At this time, the only course that one can waive is accounting. Before obtaining my MBA, I also was in the finance area and although some of the information in the core finance is review - much of it is new material, and it was all very useful.

Cyrus (Dec 21, 2005 10:33:38 AM)
Wes: At the information sessions that I attended, I noted that on average, 20% of students receive fellowships. Will this number stay about the same for the upcoming year?

ChristosSklavenitisUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:34:37 AM)
David: Yes, interviews can occur after the application deadline for any given round, but each round also has a corresponding deadline for interviews as well. Those are posted here: http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x5544.xml.

sjapply (Dec 21, 2005 10:34:49 AM)
Christos: Other than entertainment and entrepreneurship, what’s the strength of Anderson?

weshawkUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:35:46 AM)
Hi Cyrus, yes, on average about 20% of the incoming students receive fellowships, and this should be the same this year. However, over 90% of the students take advantage of some financial aid, from federal loans, private loans, outside fellowships, and T.A. positions at some point during their 2 years here. For more info: http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x2937.xml.

>>Guest (Dec 21, 2005 10:36:06 AM)
Wes: I would love to get in touch with whoever is running the Entertainment Media Club. How could I?

ChristosSklavenitisUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:38:04 AM)
sjapply: Actually, although we do have a reputation for those two areas, we're known as a general management school because of the breadth of the areas in which we are strong. To that point, UCLA Anderson faculty were ranked #1 in intellectual capital last year (http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x7097.xml.) Our finance & marketing faculty are very highly regarded as well.

Skylark (Dec 21, 2005 10:38:13 AM)
Christos: Due to my hectic schedules and traveling outside of country, I haven't had a chance to schedule an interview or visit your campus yet. However, I am well informed about your MBA program through some close family members who are recent Anderson graduates. I would like to submit my application before Jan 5th. Would you recommend my postponing my application submission? I plan to visit sometime in Jan. as soon as the interview slots become available and classes begin.

Andy Cheung (Dec 21, 2005 10:38:23 AM)
Deena: In your opinion what are some of the most challenging obstacles faced by first year students?

ChristosSklavenitisUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:40:10 AM)
skylark: As a rule, it's better to apply earlier rather than later. I wouldn't postpone submitting an application for waiting for an opportunity to visit. Do get your application in by the Round 2 deadline, and visit us in January when your schedule permits!

justin (Dec 21, 2005 10:40:20 AM)
Christos: What is the typical class size for core courses? Are students grouped into sections or teams their first year?

DeenaWilliamsUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:42:14 AM)
Hi Andy Cheung: Good question! I think any first year students would agree that time management is the most challenging obstacle. Each student must find a way to balance classes, group meetings, job interviews, clubs and social activities.

>>sjapply (Dec 21, 2005 10:42:29 AM)
Deena: What is the average percentage of case study in each course?

ChristosSklavenitisUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:42:52 AM)
justin: Each entering class is approximately 330 students, split into 5 sections; hence core classes are about 65. Students are assigned into study groups/teams for the first quarter, and there is some switching/mixing subsequent to that first term.

cmc (Dec 21, 2005 10:43:10 AM)
Christos: I've been hearing that Anderson is heavily quantitative and less theoretical. Would that be an accurate assessment and if so, does UCLA suggest math refresher courses?

canan (Dec 21, 2005 10:43:43 AM)
Hi Linda I would like to learn about how the interviews are structured? What should I expect during the interview?

BMatz (Dec 21, 2005 10:44:17 AM)
Wes: Are the application essays read in their respective order or at random?

ChristosSklavenitisUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:46:02 AM)
cmc: I don't know that we are any more quantitative than a typical top-tier program, and curricular can certainly be both quantitative and theoretical. With regard to your question about a math refresher, I would advise that if you haven't had exposure to collegiate-level calculus, it would be good to brush up so that you don't spend time scrambling to catch up in case you're caught off-guard by the quant classes!

>>Guest (Dec 21, 2005 10:46:16 AM)
Christos: If you are worried your on-campus interview did not go well, can you talk about it in the optional essay?

weshawkUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:46:31 AM)
Hi BMatz, each adcom member reads each application in its entirety, from letters of rec., to transcripts, and essays. Each file is read multiple times and the essays are read in order, 1-3.

justin (Dec 21, 2005 10:46:38 AM)
Wes: I am an officer in the Air Force and will face the "career-switch" challenge soon. Do you have many military officers in your program? What unique challenges do we have to overcome in the application process?

DeenaWilliamsUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:46:39 AM)
Hi sjapply: The use of case studies varies by subject and professor. Some classes such as Strategy are primarily case study. In every class there is group work which reflects the collaborative nature of Anderson.

siddhu108 (Dec 21, 2005 10:47:03 AM)
I am an international student applying to the Anderson school full time MBA program. Since I will be on OPT at the end of the program, will it affect my chances of getting a job? Are there a lot of companies hiring students who will need h1-b sponsorship?

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:48:52 AM)
Canan, interviews are supposed to be a friendly chat, to allow you to "flesh out" your application. Naturally the conversation will cover questions from the application process like what leadership examples can you give/what are your short- and long-term goals/why an MBA now/why UCLA Anderson? You can show the homework you have done on yourself and on our school with your answers. Bottom line, we want to hear your passion and your communication skills, and evaluate the fit with our school as you let your personality shine through.

>>Guest (Dec 21, 2005 10:49:00 AM)
Hi Linda, I have a question about the off-campus interviews. What happens if I am out of my home country (Israel) when I need to do the interview?

weshawkUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:50:41 AM)
Hi Justin, congrats on being an officer in the Air Force and thank you! We have many students here with a military background, and some go back to the service afterwards. We have found that military officers are great leaders and add a lot to the classroom experience. I don't believe there are any major challenges you will have to overcome in your application versus another applicant. We are always looking for strong candidates from a variety of backgrounds. cheers, Wes

Andy Cheung (Dec 21, 2005 10:50:55 AM)
Wes: You've mentioned that optional essays are sometime used to explain gaps in employment. Do you know whether an employment gap for less than 6 months warrants an optional essay? Thanks.

weshawkUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:52:28 AM)
Hi Andy, depends on how much less than 6 months. If you are in doubt feel free to add a few lines about that gap. If it was a few weeks, no need to worry, but when multiple months are involved it doesn't hurt to add a quick explanation.

>>Guest (Dec 21, 2005 10:52:37 AM)
Wes: I took the GMAT more than once. Does UCLA look at the top score?

>>JSG (Dec 21, 2005 10:53:54 AM)
Can you talk a little bit about the alumni network? With a school as large at UCLA, how easily accessible are the business school alums?

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:57:42 AM)
Siddhu108, a large proportion of our international students use the OPT program to get experience in the US for at least a year after graduation. There are a number of US companies who hire our international students year after year through the OPT program, such as Mattel and BCG. Sometimes these students work on marketing or consulting with their home countries. In many cases they get experience here and then get sponsored to stay or else transfer to another country. It is true that international students have to work harder than US citizens to find opportunities, but our network and our Parker Career Management Center are here to help. Every year students rise to the challenge and secure fascinating jobs both here and abroad to make the most of their MBA degree.

>>Guest (Dec 21, 2005 10:57:55 AM)
Deena: I would like to pursure my MBA in Strategy or Consulting. What kind of courses are available for me? The academic areas on the UCLA website (http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x41.xml) does not talk about consulting related courses.

DeenaWilliamsUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 10:58:16 AM)
Hi JSG: Anderson has a very active network of over 33,000 alumni. There are Anderson alumni clubs all over the world. Many alumni participate as speakers at student club events, interview applicants and mentor current students. To find out more about our alumni, check out the Anderson Assets http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x4222.xml and the Alumni website http://alumni.anderson.ucla.edu/.

>>Guest (Dec 21, 2005 10:58:29 AM)
Linda: How many students at Anderson express an interest in non-profit management? Are there any courses at Anderson that would be particularly beneficial for someone interested in this field?

>>Guest (Dec 21, 2005 11:01:13 AM)
Wes: Is it advisable to get recommendations from people in different areas like rotary club , or both recommendation have to be work related?

>>Guest (Dec 21, 2005 11:01:47 AM)
Christos: Interviews are invitation only correct? If not, can I get an interview in NY?

ChristosSklavenitisUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 11:04:31 AM)
Thank you all for participating in our chat session today!

RedLight1 (Dec 21, 2005 11:05:42 AM)
Does the Admissions Committee look favorably upon someone with the CFA designation? Will it make a difference on the strength of my application?

Linda Abraham (Dec 21, 2005 11:06:20 AM)
I think Linda and Christos have to leave. Thanks for participating!

San Francisco (Dec 21, 2005 11:06:32 AM)
Deena: Are you allowed to work part time during your first year?

weshawkUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 11:07:10 AM)
Hi redlight1, good question. If you do have a CFA designation, or have passed any of the tests, please let us know. All of that will be taken into account as we try to assess your academic ability, and the CFA doesn't hurt.

dudi (Dec 21, 2005 11:07:34 AM)
Wes: What in your opinion are the best ways to prepare myself for studying in UCLA, several months ahead?

DeenaWilliamsUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 11:10:09 AM)
Hi San Francisco: The schedule for students is very flexible. Many students opt to take less classes in their second or third quarter and work part-time. See the program schedule at http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x5989.xml.

San Francisco (Dec 21, 2005 11:10:21 AM)
Deena: I went to a women's info session and the women said their group/cluster of 6 people was all men and they were the only woman in the group. Is that typical?

weshawkUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 11:10:40 AM)
Hi Dudi, glad you are thinking ahead. This really depends on each applicant. Some need to take classes to help augment their quant skills, such as calc. or statistics, while others will need to work on the softer skills like HR/OB and marketing, while others have used the time to leave their job early and take a summer internship in a completely different industry just to gain experience. But in general it is a good idea to use that summer before your first year to better prepare yourself for the MBA experience and future career. Of course, relax and have fun too, but remember that time is a great opportunity for you to get prepared.

Anna (Dec 21, 2005 11:10:57 AM)
Wes: What is the admissions committee looking for in the essays?

weshawkUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 11:12:49 AM)
Hi Anna, essays are a vital part of the application process. We are using the essays to learn more about who you are as a person and what your goals are. Each question is designed to help flesh out different aspects of who you are. But, in the end, we should have a clear idea of your passions, why an MBA and what makes you unique.

jdnash (Dec 21, 2005 11:12:55 AM)
Any last minute tips while Round 2 applicants put the final touches on their essays and application?

DeenaWilliamsUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 11:14:56 AM)
San Francisco: I would not say that it is typical that a study group would have one woman as women make up about 30% of the class. Study groups are created as diverse groups in terms of industry experience and background.

Guest (Dec 21, 2005 11:15:48 AM)
Thank you. Very helpful.

Linda Abraham (Dec 21, 2005 11:17:01 AM)
Thank you again all for participating this evening. Special thanks to Linda, Wes, Deena and Christos for joining us today.

DeenaWilliamsUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 11:17:10 AM)
Thanks Linda!

weshawkUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 11:17:17 AM)
Hi jdnash. Hopefully your essays are all done and the applications are nearly complete. But in general, just be yourself in the essays, be open and honest and when you hit the submit button remember to relax and congratulate yourself on completing the application as it is a rigorous, yet enlightening process. Just know that we read every application multiple times as we understand how much time and effort went into each one. So once you hit submit, relax and enjoy the holiday season - no need to worry about the applicatiom once it is complete.

Linda Abraham (Dec 21, 2005 11:17:47 AM)
Good luck with your applications!

weshawkUCLA (Dec 21, 2005 11:18:14 AM)
Thank you Linda for setting this up - it has been our pleasure to chat with all of you.

Linda Abraham (Dec 21, 2005 11:18:22 AM)
Thanks again for coming. Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room