2007 London Business School MBA Admissions Chat with David Simpson

2007 London Business School MBA Admissions Chat with David Simpson

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2006 9:50:45 AM)
First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com’s London Business School MBA Admissions Chat.

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2006 9:50:53 AM)
I also want to welcome David Simpson, Senior Manager;Tamsin Shillitoe, MBA Marketing and Admissions Manager; Natasja Giezen, MBA 2007; and Mark Horrox, MBA 2007.

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2006 9:51:02 AM)
Natasja Giezen: Natasja is originally from the Netherlands. She studied English Language & Literature at Leiden University and prior to b-school worked as a Consultant at IFS. Natasja is on international exchange at NYU this term. (She is participating from the US during her lunch break between classes.) Natasja completed her summer internship (between years 1 and 2 of the MBA program) as part of the WPP Group (advertising/media) in London. I also understand that Natasja attended the Accepted.com LBS chat two years ago as an applicant.

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2006 9:51:09 AM)
Mark Horrox: Mark is a UK national. He will be going on international exchange during the Spring term to Chicago Business School and will start the autumn term of his second year at London Business School at the beginning of October. He studied Finance with Business Law at undergrad and prior to the MBA he worked as a Vice President at SG Corporate and Investment Banking.

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2006 9:51:17 AM)
Welcome to the chat new-comers and veterans. Thanks to everyone for joining.

Bhavin (Sep 12, 2006 9:44:26 AM)
With LBS's extra focus on Internationalism, how much of a disadvantage is it if one does not have any significant international exposure besides from leisure traveling?

TamsinShillitoelbs (Sep 12, 2006 9:47:16 AM)
Helllo Bhavin. Whilst we are looking for international exposure, this may be professionally or from your travels. It is also important that candidates will be open to other cultures as you will be studying in an international setting with students from over 50 different nationalities.

Bhavin (Sep 12, 2006 9:48:59 AM)
Tamsin, how will you be able to gauge whether a person is open to other cultures if he does not have significant international exposure?

TamsinShillitoelbs (Sep 12, 2006 9:51:09 AM)
Bhavin, it is something that comes across in many aspects of your application, including your prior experience working in teams (perhaps multi-cultural) and also assessed at interview.

snubasu (Sep 12, 2006 9:49:43 AM)
MarkHorroxLBS - can you comment on the Global Leadership Assessment Module?

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 9:51:25 AM)
snubasu - GLAM is a first step towards realizing your potential as a leader. This is a very good little credit, 4 weeks of intensive discussion, which seeks to help you identify your potential, and allows you to think about any weaknesses. It's a lot of fun.

snubasu (Sep 12, 2006 9:53:49 AM)
Mark - Thanks. How effective is this little session (GLAM) in laying bare your weaknesses as a potential GLOBAL business leader?

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:00:42 AM)
snubasu - I can only really answer for myself, but quite a lot of GLAM is personal feedback through renown interview processes and questionnaires - I found it very useful. It essentially tries to make you as self aware as possible and gives you frameworks for cross cultural management. As you might guess, a lot of organizational behavior professors have done a lot of research into these things and they try to give you the output in a practical way. I hope it will allow me to communicate more effectively across cultures, which is really what management is all about...

chintan (Sep 12, 2006 9:51:36 AM)
David: How does LBS see students who have already done an MBA somewhere else?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Sep 12, 2006 9:53:09 AM)
Chintan, if you want to take a second MBA we expect you to give us clear and concise reasons why you think you need another, and why you chose to do the MBA you completed in the past.

En Chiang (Sep 12, 2006 9:53:02 AM)
Mark and Natasja: Yes, thanks... how's the environment for foreign students at LBS?

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 9:53:41 AM)
En Chiang: That depends... what do you mean by foreign students? Almost all students at LBS are from somewhere outside the UK, so in a sense we're all foreign.

En Chiang (Sep 12, 2006 9:55:20 AM)
Natasja: thanks, that answers my question.

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 9:55:25 AM)
You're welcome!

MaryFerreiraLBS (Sep 12, 2006 9:58:13 AM)
En Chiang, in addition to Natasja's comments, you might be interested to know that the MBA intake that started this month comprises 88% non UK with about 50 plus nationalities represented in the first year cohort called MBA2008. Natasja might not know this yet as she is currently spending one term on international exchange at NYU at the start of her 2nd year of MBA studies.

Anuja Wadia (Sep 12, 2006 9:49:57 AM)
Tamsin, how do international students (including those from the US) acclimate to London? Do they find it to be an easy transition?

TamsinShillitoelbs (Sep 12, 2006 9:53:26 AM)
Hello Anuja, When you say international students, do consider that the majority of students at London Business School are international. The city itself is also very culturally diverse. The School community is very welcoming and there are always second years to help you on your way. Each admitted student has a second year mentor to help advise them.

Manfred (Sep 12, 2006 9:49:50 AM)
Mark, how did you pay all fees, tuition and so on???

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 9:53:28 AM)
Manfred - financing the MBA is a huge step, I have gone with the HSBC loan, which I recommend you talk to them about early by the way, but there are a wealth of scholarships, government loans (depending on where you're from), etc which may be more useful for you. It's a huge decision so take the time to think about what is best for you

Ashley (Sep 12, 2006 9:53:35 AM)
David: Hi, I am from India, and I have not given my TOEFL but achieved a 720 in my GMAT. How important is the TOEFL for LBS?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Sep 12, 2006 9:55:03 AM)
Ashley, if your undergrad and/or working language is English then we do not require TOEFL. This will probably be the case for you I guess?

Ashley (Sep 12, 2006 9:55:43 AM)
Yes, my undergrad and working language are both English!

awm207 (Sep 12, 2006 9:54:09 AM)
Tamsin: Not sure who to address this question to, but I have worked (successfully) for 2.5 years after college at a big 4 accounting firm and earned my CPA. However I left (voluntarily) my job in May and spent the summer living and traveling in Europe. How would this time off between jobs impact my candidacy at LBS? Should I return to work and apply next year, or would applying this year make sense?

TamsinShillitoelbs (Sep 12, 2006 9:58:13 AM)
Awm207, as you meet the minimum work experience requirements, you would be eligible to apply. The Admissions Committee would be keen to see you starting something new having completed your travels. Gaps are not necessarily negative in terms of recruitment and such experiences can often be beneficial.

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2006 9:54:54 AM)
David & Tamsin, can you comment on London Business School’s view of early career applicants? Do you encourage applicants with less than 2 years of work experience to apply?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:00:22 AM)
Linda, a good subject - Here at London Business School we really value the experience students bring, whatever field it is from. The class average this year was again 5-6 years, with the range 2-13 years. There is no strict minimum as such. Everyone must have something to add to their study group; the classroom discussion environment and finally the campus community, (clubs / events etc). We expect a lot from our c300 students and we look carefully for evidence of a proactive ambitious nature through the application and interviews. Every year there are some stand-out students with perhaps just a couple of years professional experience. They are chosen as we believe they will offer as much or more than other applicants with considerably more years of experience. The overall class offers a balance of experience.

akbar (Sep 12, 2006 9:55:36 AM)
Natasja: When applying for international exchange program, is it easy to get the school of your choice? Does the semester schedule difference between schools hinder the choices you have?

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 9:57:32 AM)
Akbar: depends on what your school of choice is. Schools like Wharton and Columbia, but also Capetown and Barcelona are very popular, so it depends on how well you do in the essays you write (which is the way you're selected, in your first year you write essays saying why these schools). The semester schedule for me works out well, because I can take more and longer courses here (at Stern/NYU) than our trimester system, but that varies per school. Once you start thinking about your exchange in your first year, all this information will be available.

RKB (Sep 12, 2006 9:49:49 AM)
How does first year help in getting a internship in the desired sector for students who are looking for a career change ? For example from industry to consulting sector?

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 9:56:59 AM)
RKB - the answer is that it is really up to you. the school is very good at allowing the access to and supporting you through the process, and providing the face time for you to understand your career objectives. There are Career Services networking training, CV workshops, specific case based interview training etc, so the support is very good. Ultimately, though, it will of course be up to you!

Jose Arosa (Sep 12, 2006 9:57:48 AM)
Mark and Natasja: What about the pressure in the first year?

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 9:58:42 AM)
Hi Jose, pressure in the first year? Our first term was pretty tough, but that's because of a lot of things: meeting new people, fairly technical subjects, being involved with clubs etc. I think the program office changed some things to make it easier. Oh, Jose, the first year is challenging, but very do-able, and a lot of fun!

snubasu (Sep 12, 2006 9:58:58 AM)
David - Given the competitiveness of the Indian/IT/Male applicant pool, what are some of the traits you are looking for that differentiates a good LBS candidate?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:03:08 AM)
Snubasu, it is up to every candidate to identify and communicate their differentiators. You're correct in thinking that we have high application numbers from that sector / gender / nationality mix. But if applicants are good, then we will admit more. We have no quotas. Providing we still have a good balance in each class, diversity each year will vary.

NS (Sep 12, 2006 9:59:18 AM)
Tamsin: How does LBS look at re-applicants? Since there is no individual feedback at LBS....what will be your advise to a re-applicant?

TamsinShillitoelbs (Sep 12, 2006 10:02:53 AM)
Hello NS. As you know we do welcome reapplications but would expect to see progress from the original application. It also depends on whether candidates have reached interview stage previously. We strongly recommend that re-applicants submit new references to support their new application.

snubasu (Sep 12, 2006 9:59:59 AM)
Natasja - what is the best time to take advantage of the exchange program? This is of-course provided that you have a choice! My question is geared towards understanding how to maximize the value of the exchange without missing out on the good stuff at LBS!!

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:02:46 AM)
Snubasu: unfortunately, you always miss something by going away (in my case the Santa Claus pub crawl and the milk round recruiting for the fulltime jobs), but that depends per person how much weight you put on these things, so that's a decision that only you can make. But you definitely miss out on certain things in London, but gain a lot from your time at your exchange school. So there is no one best time, that depends on what you want out of your time in London (if you want a job at a London bank or consultancy for instance, it wouldn't make sense to go in autumn and miss the fulltime recruiting) and what you want from your exchange.

MaryFerreiraLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:03:40 AM)
For those of you interested in international exchange, please note that we have two new international exchange schools this year: Fudan in China and Melbourne Business School in Australia.

Ashley (Sep 12, 2006 10:01:06 AM)
David, what is the difference in applying for the 1st deadline compared to the 2nd? For the US Schools it makes a huge difference if you apply for the second deadline. Is the third Deadline the worst one to go for??

DavidSimpsonLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:05:36 AM)
Ashley, Not much difference whether you apply in Stage 1 or 2 with regards to to your chances of admissions. We run a consistent system through the year, although for the final stage we usually cannot offer everyone who is of the quality to deserve an offer. You should apply as soon as you can though, as then you will have enough time to research your financing options and compare other offers!

Anuja Wadia (Sep 12, 2006 10:01:09 AM)
Thank you Tamsin. My next question is how involved are professors both inside and outside the classroom? For instance, are they involved in the clubs and organizations LBS offers?

TamsinShillitoelbs (Sep 12, 2006 10:01:09 AM)
Professors provide additional support to students outside classroom hours and are also involved in cutting edge research which is of huge benefit to the School and students. They are also an extension of the global community at London Business School.

Bhavin (Sep 12, 2006 10:01:26 AM)
Tamsin: Will the school accept GMAT scores that are 5 and a half years old?

TamsinShillitoelbs (Sep 12, 2006 10:03:40 AM)
Bhavin, GMAT scores are only accepted if taken within 5 years of your application date so unfortunately you would need to retake them.

Ashley (Sep 12, 2006 10:03:10 AM)
Natasja: Are we allowed to make our own study groups or do we have to choose an existing one?

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:04:18 AM)
Ashley: you're assigned a study group, which is designed to have as much diversity (in geography and professional background) as possible. You stick together the first year and can't divorce. I loved my study group (which was Indian, Iranian, American, Peruvian, Korean, English and Dutch, from all walks of life) and learned a lot from them.

Ashley (Sep 12, 2006 10:10:37 AM)
Thank you Natasha. That answers my question!

Julian_frmLA (Sep 12, 2006 10:03:28 AM)
David: I took a year off to travel around the world (mostly Asia) Will this gap in my work history be viewed negatively?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:07:23 AM)
Julian, that's only a 'gap' if you call it so. Your job will be to make sure we're aware what personal, (and possibly professional) value you gained from your time traveling. Take some time to reflect on how you can interpret your experiences and how they might add value to your profile. It's always good to think from the mindset, 'How will this benefit my Study Group / Class / the Campus Community?'.

M. Cuyegkeng (Sep 12, 2006 10:03:39 AM)
Tamsin: what would you say is the one thing that makes LBS unique from all other top business schools? Either that or what would you say is the best part of the LBS experience?

TamsinShillitoelbs (Sep 12, 2006 10:08:20 AM)
Hello M.Cuyegkeng, I would say that when looking at a top business school there are certain things you should demand, top faculty, rigorous program, strong Alumni network and so on. The main differentiator for us is that we offer this in a truly international environment. You learn alongside excellent classmates from around the world, taught on international cases by an equally diverse faculty. This also means that your alumni network spans over 100 countries. The second point to mention is that you are in London - truly beneficial for recruitment, networking and travel opportunities.

Jose Arosa (Sep 12, 2006 10:04:59 AM)
Tamsin: What is the acceptance rate for LBS?

TamsinShillitoelbs (Sep 12, 2006 10:09:03 AM)
Hello Jose, we had around 1800 application this year for a class of 310.

M. Cuyegkeng (Sep 12, 2006 10:05:21 AM)
Natasja, can you comment or give an idea of the various clubs available in LBS?

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:08:14 AM)
M. Cuyegkeng: clubs at LBS fall into the following categories: professional (like Marketing Club, Entrepreneurship Club, Consulting Club, Finance, PE, etc), sports clubs (like football/soccer, rugby, foosball etc), and geographical (Japan club, Spanish Club etc). Plus there's also the Partner's Club, which is very active. There's something for everyone, and most clubs tend to be very active, and if it isn't there, you can always try to start it up! You can find more information on clubs on our website, which lists a good number of them.

EdMBA (Sep 12, 2006 10:06:02 AM)
Mary: I have spoken to other potential applicants and there is a concern of the strength of the alumni networks outside of the UK (particularly in the US) for career networking. Have any current/past students have any experience with this?

MaryFerreiraLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:15:41 AM)
EdMBA. We now have about 25,000 London Business School alumni based around the globe in 100 different countries, so a pretty good network for people wanting a global career. We have regional alumni clubs as well as Regional Advisory Boards - all of which are to help forge strong links and visibility for London Business School. Typically about 60% of an MBA graduating class will take their first position based in the UK but their roles will have them working around the globe and working with teams based in several countries. In parallel we have firms that recruit our students for positions in the USA and other countries. About 10% of MBA2005 took their first placement in the North America direct from London Business School and this summer has seen MBAs following internships in California at Google, with PE in Switzerland, consulting in China - so a very wide range of opportunities. The student body is also key in making the most of our alumni networks and the students themselves organize annual treks with a careers focus to many different geographic regions such as the Technology Trek to California and other ones to continental Europe and to Asia. Whilst meeting with firms operating in these regions they also attend receptions hosted by local clubs of the London Business School alumni community - so another great chance for them to make helpful contacts .

Vishu (Sep 12, 2006 9:49:20 AM)
Hi Mark, the social life at LBS strikes me the most of all the schools I've heard about. Has that been your experience as well?

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:06:18 AM)
Vishu - social life is excellent, mainly I think because most people are from somewhere else. This means that everyone comes together here socially because at the start no one knows anyone else. This, coupled with the beautiful British pub culture, leads to some very fun parties and socials. We also have a very active sports scene, which leads to a lot of fun for all. While I'm on the subject, Partner's Club is also a fundamental part of the school community, which is a club designed to give the partners of the students a social network which they can develop as they want - helps ensure they have a buddy to see while we're cranking out finance papers.....

Manfred (Sep 12, 2006 10:06:37 AM)
Mark: In which companies can MBA students work (in summer ...)??

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:08:44 AM)
Manfred - which ones cant you work?? Its up to you! If they don't have a recognized, formal, internship process, then there is always the ability to run a specific "project" for them. It is more a case of networking with the companies you want to target and talking to these guys, trying to identify something you could usefully do for them. Don't under-estimate the power of the LBS brand for opening doors for you.

awny (Sep 12, 2006 10:07:16 AM)
David: Hello Linda ... I am Ahmed .. I have only one question regarding the MBA program Sep 07. In the staged admission process, are there allocated number of seats or places for each stage? Other top business schools for instance describe staged admission as follows: the competition is between those who've applied in a certain stage. My question is, do I have a lower chance of getting accepted if I applied in the 2nd stage rather than the 1st one?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:08:38 AM)
Awny, no strictly assigned numbers per stage. We make as many offers as we want to depending on quality. We see roughly the same patterns every year regarding proportion and quality in each stage.

Julian_frmLA (Sep 12, 2006 10:08:35 AM)
Natasja: What is involved in starting new student clubs on campus?

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:09:43 AM)
Julian_frmLA: Can I ask why you're asking (about starting up a new club)? If it's to do with the application question (is that still there?), then don't worry too much about the technical detail, but focus instead on what you can bring to the community, either by helping out an existing club, or starting something you think will be a valuable addition.

M. Cuyegkeng (Sep 12, 2006 10:08:47 AM)
Natasja or Mark: What would you say is the best thing about the LBS experience?

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:10:28 AM)
M. Cuyegkeng - your question is too broad for a specific answer - I love the fact that the community is not dominated by any one culture - it is the most international thing I will ever do

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:11:18 AM)
M. Cuyegkeng: best thing? Difficult one, because there is no ONE thing, it's the whole experience for me. Meeting great and interesting people, living in the best city in the world, studying very interesting subjects, some great nights out, the opportunity to live in the second best city in the world, and change my career... it's difficult to pick just one thing ;-)

snubasu (Sep 12, 2006 10:09:24 AM)
David - In previous years, LBS has had close to 25% of its students from North America; for a school that is so diverse, isn't this a high percentage from the same demographic? What is that percentage for the incoming class?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:12:41 AM)
Snubasu, I disagree. Whilst we've had up to 25% from US and Canada this varies greatly. Also these nationality figures do not take into account second nationalities, work location etc etc. Remember also that most people coming from a certain region join London Business School over other schools as they are looking to absorb as much from other cultures as possible.

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2006 10:14:09 AM)
I also want to point out that within North America there is more than a little bit of diversity. It is not a homogenous continent.

snubasu (Sep 12, 2006 10:21:40 AM)
Linda - Touche!

DavidSimpsonLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:14:56 AM)
Good point Linda!

snubasu (Sep 12, 2006 10:11:12 AM)
Tamsin: This is a common question without a straight answer! Applicants the world around fall over themselves to prove their philanthropic credentials. Is that a big factor at LBS? I can imagine the need for well rounded applicants, but that could mean a lot of things other than social service. And as a follow on, does one really need to speak to the lack of a significant contribution to society in the 6th (optional) essay?

TamsinShillitoelbs (Sep 12, 2006 10:13:43 AM)
Snubasu, it is not necessarily a negative and is really another opportunity for us to find out more about you. It really is an optional essay and with such varying profiles gives people the opportunity to provide further information if necessary.

mauricio (Sep 12, 2006 10:11:39 AM)
Lads, any of you married? What about your partner's experience, what do they do, are they able to work, study...?

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:12:16 AM)
mauricio, ehm... I'm not a lad ;-) ... (and not married)

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:12:57 AM)
I live with my partner, and she works but again, I'm a Brit, so it is easier for me. Lots of partners do work, but again you need to check your national status with regards to work visa etc....

Ashley (Sep 12, 2006 10:13:23 AM)
David: Is it mandatory for the recommender to use the LBS template, or can they use their own letterhead and write the recommendation in the form of a letter?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:17:24 AM)
Ashley, we request that all formal recommendations do use the standard reference form. We have specific questions that we want answering. Your referee can add a letter to the form if they wish to say more, but remember that we want carefully targeted information, not generic reference material that could have been written for any school or job application.

En Chiang (Sep 12, 2006 10:13:27 AM)
Mark: Can you elaborate on the active sports scene?

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:15:21 AM)
En Chiang, if you play a sport, we probably do to. Rugby (which I'm a part of), Football, Cricket, Sailing, Ultimate Frisbee, rock & Mountain (2 nutters are planning to climb Everest next year, one of which will be the first ever Egyptian if he succeeds), are all very active, but its also a fact that the onus is on the students to organize themselves. Starting a new club is easy, and supported, and there is likely to be others who also want what you want, given again the nature of the community. One of the highlights is MBAT, the European MBA Olympics, where it is safe to say LBS is a huge presence. We also won it last year :o))

En Chiang (Sep 12, 2006 10:20:21 AM)
Mark: Thanks..... football's the sport for me :-)

NS (Sep 12, 2006 10:13:51 AM)
Tamsin: When you say progress from the original application....does it mean progress in all parts or any specific area....for example....new essays with clearer goals, progress within the work area?

TamsinShillitoelbs (Sep 12, 2006 10:19:31 AM)
NS, There may well be a specific area in your application that needs addressing or not. It is really very difficult to say. You should also bear in mind how competitive the process is and look at your original application with this in mind. Yes, it may be that your essays could be stronger in demonstrating your goals or that you have stronger work experience. Like I say, it is difficult to pin point something. The more you know about your School by researching (as you are today) the more you will know about the level of application we expect and the strong competition for places. You can also address the fact that you are re-applying in the application (in the additional question) and explain why you feel your application is stronger this year. Best of luck with your re-application.

NS (Sep 12, 2006 10:26:29 AM)
Tamsin: Thanks for your detailed answer.

Jorge Mexico (Sep 12, 2006 10:14:35 AM)
Good day to ALL! I am already excited by just talking with an international community as I can see... My question is regarding the study groups, since you are assigned to them Natasja, David, Mark & Tamsin, how good does one really get at SOLVING or EVADING problems within your study group, is this really where your leadership skills develop?

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:17:18 AM)
Hi Jorge, this is where the GLAM module comes in handy, you get given tools on how to solve problems in your study group. I think working in a study group is THE way to foster your leadership skills and especially teamwork skills, since you have to work together quite closely and deliver top notch work, without there being a hierarchical leader. For me this was one of the best aspects of the first year, my study group and all it taught me.

-tvu (Sep 12, 2006 10:17:13 AM)
DavidSimpLBS: If I am unable to take my GMAT before the end of R1 but have completed all other parts of my application, would that push me into R2?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:19:02 AM)
TVU, we ask that you have a GMAT score at the time of applying, otherwise we cannot make a full comparison across the applicant pool. If you are taking it a few days after the deadline, you can email it in, but we would much rather we were presented with complete information.

across (Sep 12, 2006 10:18:20 AM)
Mary: After completing an MBA with LBS what will be my chances to land a job with an UK based company?. It is easy for a non- EU student to stay and work in the UK after?

MaryFerreiraLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:23:20 AM)
Across. In terms of landing a job, obviously it is going to be down to the individual and down to ensuring that you are the MBA graduate that a particular firm needs and wants to hire. We have a comprehensive career strategy offering by our Careers Services team. In addition our MBA students are eligible for the Highly Skilled Migrant Visa Program which allows them to work here without restriction. We will be doing another Accepted.com chat in October when we will have a member of our Career Services team helping to answer questions on careers also.

Ashley (Sep 12, 2006 10:18:28 AM)
David: How active can my husband be in the Partner's Club? What career options will my spouse have?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:22:52 AM)
Ashley, your partner can be as active as they want to be! We hope they might be very active as a strong Partners Club is a vital part of the School. The Club has gone from strength to strength in recent years. Hopefully candidates are becoming more aware of the specific benefits for employment as an MBA spouse. Our new MBA brochure will talk more about this subject. After all, for many of you, it is not just your decision. You have to choose a school that's in a location that's the best option for your partner and possibly children. It is an amazing opportunity for everyone in your family to experience London and everything it has to offer.

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:24:21 AM)
For people looking for more information on the Partner's Club, they've just re-launched their website, which has loads of information.

Julian_frmLA (Sep 12, 2006 10:20:09 AM)
Tamsin: I am not comfortable telling my current employer that I am applying to LBS. Is it a problem to get recommendations from my previous employer only?

TamsinShillitoelbs (Sep 12, 2006 10:22:44 AM)
Hello Julian, This is not uncommon. Whilst we can accept references from your previous employers, to truly reflect your current level of work experience it is beneficial to have references from your current work - We do accept references from clients who may be able to comment on your current professional abilities or indeed from a colleague.

En Chiang (Sep 12, 2006 10:20:31 AM)
Mark, Natasja: How easy is it to find a place to live in London? Is there any assistance from a students association or something of that sort?

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:22:39 AM)
En Chiang: depends on what you're looking for, but most students don't have too much trouble. A lot of students tend to share flats, and live fairly close (within 15 min walking range) from school, where there is a wide variety of flats. There is no official help from the students association, but there is a lot of information on our intranet, and there's always the second year students who are willing to help out. Plus a lot of places get advertised on our intranet, to which you get access before you come to London (if you're admitted obviously!).

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:22:54 AM)
En Chiang - you generally need to sort it yourself, although I believe there is support for students through University of London accommodation if you come from abroad. Most however live within 5 minutes off campus, which is pretty cool as there is a lot of hanging out to be done. If you choose this option, the onus is on yourself to do the flat hunting.. I've done this lots of times, and it is pretty simple process as there are always lots of flats turning over in London

chintan (Sep 12, 2006 10:20:49 AM)
Mary: How much from total course fee and other expenses can one get funded through loans? Can you give a rough idea about how one funds his MBA at LBS, for the average student?

MaryFerreiraLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:33:37 AM)
Chintan. I can see that I am not as fast at typing as my London Business School colleagues here. Of our new MBA intake, about 50% of the class will receive some type of financial aid - not everyone applied for financial aid. Of those that did I think about 80% of the group have taken out a loan and 20% have received scholarships. We have a lot of information about financial aid offerings for MBA students posted on the MBA pages of our website. The average amount borrowed for the new MBA intake is around $33,000. In addition students will have the opportunity to earn income during their summer internship and as part of the 2nd year MBA project. not to mention their post MBA salary package and longer term career trajectory. Range of money borrowed by our MBA students this year is from about $9,000 up to $78,000. Hope this helps.

M. Cuyegkeng (Sep 12, 2006 10:21:18 AM)
Tasmin: There is a mention regarding a proficiency in another language other than English as a requirement prior to completing the program. Can you provide more details about this (how it is measured and how it is achieved)?

TamsinShillitoelbs (Sep 12, 2006 10:26:58 AM)
M.Cuyegkeng, the second language exit requirement is to level 2 - this will give you some confidence to converse in a second language if you do not already have one and encourages you to develop your global networks. Students who already have a second language can opt to take an additional language should they chose. Kings College are our current language providers.

chintan (Sep 12, 2006 10:21:50 AM)
David: Does LBS expect an additional essay for not getting recommendation letter from present employer??

DavidSimpsonLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:24:45 AM)
Chintan, not necessarily. We recognize that many people cannot ask their current employer for a reference...especially if you want to receive that all important end of year bonus that might help pay for the fees!

jenny (Sep 12, 2006 10:23:23 AM)
Hi - I'm totally new to this. I have a question for David. I am 29 and just started a new job - I will not start applying to MBA school for 3-5 yrs. In the meantime, are there experiences/roles within my work environment that I should be seeking out? I am in Atlanta, GA, USA. Thanks!

DavidSimpsonLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:31:00 AM)
Hi Jenny, first of all you need to think carefully about when the right time for an MBA might be for you. You should not think about what experiences you could gain to help your admission to an MBA, just focus on what you want to achieve form that period of work. Hopefully the two will cross over. We like to see an interest in internationalism whether by seeking out any opportunities in your job, or outside. Most of all, we want to see progression and ambition.

Bhavin (Sep 12, 2006 10:23:55 AM)
Tamsin or David - There is a consensus developing in India, that LBS prefers students from an IT background, or how else can one explain the majority of Indians accepted from this background?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:26:52 AM)
Bhavin, there are many of stories out there, and many of them are not true! For example, in this year's class, there are fewer Indian IT professionals than in the last few years. Every individual is admitted on their own merits - personal and professional.

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2006 10:24:37 AM)
Mark and Natasja, what do you like best at London Business School? What would you like to see improved?

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:26:52 AM)
I love the international atmosphere and the fact there's always something to do! What I would like to see improved is the size of the gym (which, although it's got everything you need, could be a little bigger).

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:27:20 AM)
Best at LBS - the community. It is very cool being in a study group with a Russian, South Korean, Mexican, American, French-Chinese and Indian. Makes for some fun debates!! What would I want to improve? The gym is a little pokey at peak times, and I would like to see more support for the intrepid rugby team, a la US university style! Oh, and the weather. They could extend the free bar time too, while I'm thinking about it.... :o)

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2006 10:29:50 AM)
:-)

snubasu (Sep 12, 2006 10:27:02 AM)
David - Can you speak to the importance of the fields in the online application that ask for description about previous work, responsibilities, motivations, effort to find out more about LBS etc? These fields are really small and I am wondering as to their importance in adding/subtracting from the rest pf the application materials such as the essay, CV, referrals, etc. Should we think of these tiny brag fields as opportunities to augment or restate the details in the essays?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:32:33 AM)
Snubasu, try not to judge the importance of a section of the application by how much space we assign it. Also remember that you'll need to be clear and concise throughout.

Julian_frmLA (Sep 12, 2006 10:27:22 AM)
Tamsin: If we are already fluent in two languages, would you require a third?

TamsinShillitoelbs (Sep 12, 2006 10:28:58 AM)
Julian, We do not require a third language but many students who do not have English as their first language do chose to learn a third.

M. Cuyegkeng (Sep 12, 2006 10:27:36 AM)
David: Is it possible for the interviews to be done over the phone or must they be done in person? If it's the latter, I hope it doesn't necessarily have to be in London ....

TamsinShillitoelbs (Sep 12, 2006 10:30:44 AM)
M.Cuyegkeng, Interviews are all conducted in person by our alumni which means that they do not all take place in London. We make every effort to arrange interviews at a location near you.

lisauchegbu (Sep 12, 2006 10:29:43 AM)
Tamins: Hi - Is it to my disadvantage that I am not currently in a management position?

TamsinShillitoelbs (Sep 12, 2006 10:33:27 AM)
Hello Lisauchegbu. It would not work to your disadvantage. Candidates average around 6 years work experience and come from many different job functions. There are also many reasons for choosing an MBA including career advancement, change or entrepreneurial.

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2006 10:30:01 AM)
Mark and Natasja: What has been your best class? Professor?

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:33:20 AM)
Linda: best classes so far: Finance with Prof Joao Cocco (and I'm not a finance person), Marketing with Prof Duncan Simester (visiting from MIT), Advanced Marketing Strategy with Prof John Roberts.

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:32:20 AM)
My best class was Marketing Strategy - running a marketing scenario for 5 weeks trying to get one over on your friends was serious fun, especially when it came to bragging rights later!! My favorite professor is Bert de Reyk, a decision science professor who makes a potentially dry subject highly entertaining - rock star guy.

chintan (Sep 12, 2006 10:31:12 AM)
David, can you please give little bit more on how to fund the MBA?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:39:05 AM)
Chintan, researching funding is as important and time consuming as researching schools and making applications. First of all see what options are available at each school. See what options are available in your own country - local government and company scholarships and loans. Students should join their school with a portfolio of funding. Obviously as much gained from scholarships rather than loans is preferable! Also, don't forget the earning opportunities available during the Program - summer internship salaries averaged over £900 per week last year and many students received offers of permanent post-MBA employment. Second Year Projects fees bring in around £3000. Often students will take on other project work through the second year - but that's pretty much impossible in the first year - we make you work too hard on core courses!

chintan (Sep 12, 2006 10:41:39 AM)
Thanks David.

thapar (Sep 12, 2006 10:31:48 AM)
Tamsin: I recently joined a new company ....so my major experience was with my previous employer ( IBM ) and I am planning to get a recommendation letter from my previous supervisor. My current supervisor will not be knowing much about me. So will it hurt my chances ?

TamsinShillitoelbs (Sep 12, 2006 10:35:22 AM)
Hello Thapar, it will not hurt your chances. It is important when selecting your referee that they know you well and so it may be a wise choice. Although given that this is your current role, you could submit one from both your previous and current supervisors.

awm207 (Sep 12, 2006 10:32:40 AM)
Mark: Is there any assistance in terms of housing during the course of the program? Where do students typically live?

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:36:35 AM)
Awm207 - International House is halls of residence, owned by University of London. This is subsidized to a degree, but as with everything in London, spaces are limited so apply early to avoid disappointment! Otherwise most students flat share in and around regents park. Check out www.findaproperty.co.uk and www.primelocation.com for an idea on budgets etc. The school runs a heavily monitored flat sharing board in the months up to the students coming to London, a lot of students find their flat mates there. You really only need about 6 weeks lead time to secure a flat - any earlier and the estate agent wont be interested - that gives you an indication of the liquidity in the market.

snubasu (Sep 12, 2006 10:34:10 AM)
Mark/Natasja - Have you been to the MBAT? Care to comment on the obvious difference between LBS students and those from the other top schools in Europe? Other than on the field!

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:34:32 AM)
Snubasu: I'll leave this one up to Mark, due to circumstances I couldn't go to MBAT.

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:40:11 AM)
Snubasu - WE BROUGHT THE TROPHY HOME BABY!!! I think we won or came second in around 15 events, and about a third of the school goes. We take a red London double-decker fun bus with us as the team base and its a blast. Surprisingly, not many other schools are as organized as we are, so they tend to use our bus as a centre of operations too! This means a lot of fun and meeting the other schools, and a lot of visibility for us while we are there. Its also taken pretty seriously by our partners. Last year the team kit was all sponsored by Booz Allen Hamilton, which gives you an idea of the scale of our MBAT project!

A (Sep 12, 2006 10:34:28 AM)
Hello David...I am sorry if I am repeating the question but am still not very familiar with how this chat session operates :-)...so am not sure if you got my question the first time round...I wanted to know if for the reference form, the referee needs to give his official (as in company) e-mail ID for the reference or would a personal email ID do just as well?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:41:51 AM)
A, sorry, missed that bit. It is up to the referee what details he/she uses for contact. We'd prefer their work email if possible, so we can confirm their status, but it's their choice. They will definitely be contacted at some point in the admission process though.

Ashley (Sep 12, 2006 10:35:42 AM)
Tamsin: How important is international exposure, in terms of having working abroad for a decent chance with one's application?

TamsinShillitoelbs (Sep 12, 2006 10:38:36 AM)
Hi Ashley. Whilst many incoming students do have experience working internationally, this is not always the case. There may be other experiences that you have to demonstrate your international exposure or/ and you may work for an international organization within a multi-cultural team.

akbar (Sep 12, 2006 10:36:56 AM)
Mark: Is faculty fairly accessible at LBS?

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:43:02 AM)
Akbar - I'd say they are, but the onus is being relatively concise with their time. We tend to go to each other first with practical questions and only really need to go to faculty for academic questions. There is usually someone you know who has seen your issue first hand and has some insights.

M. Cuyegkeng (Sep 12, 2006 10:37:21 AM)
Natasja: are there any concentrations where you believe LBS is particularly stronger at (i.e. Finance, Operations Management) compared to other top business schools?

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:39:37 AM)
M. Cuyegkeng: I think LBS is particularly strong in Finance (and has a strong relationship with the City) and Entrepreneurship and Marketing, all of which have top notch faculty. That said, I don't think there's a real weakness, but more areas in which they're stronger and areas in which they're on par with other schools.

-tvu (Sep 12, 2006 10:39:34 AM)
MaryF_LBS; can you elaborate on second year project?

MaryFerreiraLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:47:08 AM)
TVU. Second year project. I'm hoping that Mark and Natasja will chip in here. The 2nd year project allows students to do real work for a firm. The company normally has a team of 2 MBA students who commit to 25 days each of work. For the company it means they get the expertise of motivated students in the 2nd year of the MBA program and it is another opportunity for the students to put their business school learning into practice. This is a paid project and is assessed by one of our faculty members. It is part of the MBA degree requirement. There are all sorts of projects that take place both here in the UK and in other countries. I'm not sure what ideas of industry/location that Mark and Natasja have for their second year project but they might give us a hint.....

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:49:05 AM)
Second year project: I haven't got one yet, I'll finish my exchange first (I'm at Stern now), but I want to use my second year project to get more credibility in the industry I want to move into. Location is probably going to be London.

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2006 10:40:07 AM)
Does LBS have a maximum age?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:47:35 AM)
Linda - Do we have a maximum age? Interesting and topical question. The new UK Age Discrimination legislation forces firms to not make decisions based on age. For us, this has not presented any issues as we have never used age as a decision point. There is no single 'right time' to tackle an MBA, it is a very personal thing for each individual. However, we will have expectations of a candidate relating to progression and achievement through their careers. Our current class age range for MBA2008 is 22-36. This shifts slightly every year. The age / years of relevant experience range is usually a fairly standard normal distribution curve. Whoever you are and whatever your background, simply tell your stories and explain your decisions.

snubasu (Sep 12, 2006 10:40:38 AM)
Mark/Natasja - Any comments about the shadowing project? Since it is for a short period of a week, what is the value you got from the shadowing some one? I like what one student did, shadowed the head of a sports team in Canada since it was a field he'd never enter; this gave him the opportunity to see how business on another plane is run.

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:43:17 AM)
Snubasu: I'm still in the middle of my shadowing project, I wanted to shadow someone in a very particular field, and I'm doing it now. For me it's a great way to find out more about an industry and make good contacts. I know people that have gone to Sudan and shadowed a UN official and my classmate Nick who shadowed someone in the desert of Chile (and who wrote about it in the FT, you can find it online).

Ashley (Sep 12, 2006 10:42:12 AM)
David: Hi, I am in the middle of deciding whether to apply for AN INTERNATIONAL JOB just for this MBA program. I am from India and currently have a 4 years work experience and I am 25 years old. It is very important for me to know whether an international job will have a deciding impact on my application or will I just be wasting my time.

TamsinShillitoelbs (Sep 12, 2006 10:49:38 AM)
Hi Ashley, This is a difficult question to answer in terms of having a deciding factor, it really depends on where you are currently within your professional experience. Do you feel that you have reached a stage within your work experience to give to the essential building blocks for an MBA. If the job is a good progression for you and likely to give you a very good experience, it may be worth considering. Whilst you already meet the minimum requirements in terms of years work experience, you are couple of years below the average age for our class. One point to note is that it may differentiate you - making your profile a little more competitive. Do continue to speak to current students / alumni to gauge where you see yourself fitting. I hope that helps.

awm207 (Sep 12, 2006 10:43:41 AM)
Mary: How many students are able to find opportunities in the fields of private equity or venture capital, and does LBS have good alumni connections in these fields?

MaryFerreiraLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:56:36 AM)
awm20. This is one of London Business School's areas of expertise. I think that Mark Horrox is following a week of an elective course in this field this week in fact. He may have time to give you a feel for the type of people that are coming to talk with the elective class group. The fact of our location is a huge advantage as many PE/VC jobs are sourced from London. We also run a large PE Conference at our campus each year as well as having a Private Equity Institute. Once again, this is a specialized area so firms will be looking at your prior background as well as how targeted you are with the opportunities and connections that business school will introduce. FYI: London Business School MBA Career Stats will be available in about 6 weeks' time.

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:47:46 AM)
awm07 - I am the Club President for the Private Equity club. We have strong and increasingly active ties with the market here in London and are looking to leverage our contacts into Europe. We are not however as connected with the US market as we would like, but for reasonably obvious reasons - this market is covered pretty spectacularly by our US rivals (HBS, Columbia, Wharton etc). When it comes to finding a job in PE, it is very possible, but it is difficult - PE doesn't attract the headlines for nothing and you are competing with peers who are already investment bankers for the jobs.

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2006 10:44:09 AM)
David or Tamsin , how did application volume last year compare with the previous year? Based on attendance at your receptions and other indicators of applicants interest, what do you anticipate this year?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:50:02 AM)
Linda, application volume was high last year. We had 1800 apps, up from 1400. However, we interviewed roughly the same number - 900. With an extensive application process and an application fee, we get few very poor quality applications - early all applicants were capable of taking a top MBA, it is usually simply a matter of 'fit'.

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2006 10:44:37 AM)
Mark and Natasja, what do you wish you would have done before starting your MBA that would have made the beginning/transition easier? Did you do anything especially effective that helped you?

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:46:48 AM)
Linda: I wished I'd earned some more money ;-) People ask me this a lot and I'm of the school that you don't want to over prepare. Spend time with friends and family, travel a little if that's your thing, and relax. The two years in School are very intense, so getting there in a relaxed frame of mind helps. I know that other people started learning a language early, but I don't have any experience, since I already have a second language.

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:51:51 AM)
Before my MBA I wish Id started learning a language - as a Brit I'm about the only one on campus who doesn't have a second language (a requirement for the MBA). And I wish Id read more fiction / non business books. You don't get a whole lot of time for that once you're here!!

lisauchegbu (Sep 12, 2006 10:47:16 AM)
Natasja: What is the percentage of women in the class of 2008?

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:47:37 AM)
Lisauchegbu: I heard it's 28% of the class are women

trader (Sep 12, 2006 10:48:06 AM)
David - How difficult or easy for a non-EU LBS MBA graduate to find a job in investment banking in UK?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:54:10 AM)
Trader, as with most post MBA jobs, firms will do what they can to get the right individuals. Remember that there is the Highly Skilled Migrant Program to encourage professionals to work in the UK. in 2006 the Government extended this to automatically grant HSMP status to our graduates.

Julian_frmLA (Sep 12, 2006 10:48:31 AM)
Mark: How early do students arrive in London prior to the start of the first year?

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:54:01 AM)
Julian_frmLA - people arrive on average about 2 weeks prior, but probably fit a trip in (maybe for open weekend) before where they'll scope the land for accommodation etc, and maybe even do a spot of socializing to see if they like anyone enough to share a flat with.

lisauchegbu (Sep 12, 2006 10:50:22 AM)
Tamsin: I understand that there is usually a presentation required at the interview. Can you shed more light on this requirement?

TamsinShillitoelbs (Sep 12, 2006 10:52:34 AM)
Lisauchegbu, There is indeed a presentation required as part of the interview although this is impromptu so I can not provide detailed information. Basically, you will be given a topic by your interviewer - usually current affairs related. You will be given 5 minutes to prepare and then 5 minutes to present back.

across (Sep 12, 2006 10:50:36 AM)
Natasja: I've heard from other top b-schools that you may find difficulties to get into the classes that interest you the most, due to a high demand. Is this particularly true in LBS?

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:52:05 AM)
Across: no, not at all, I got all my classes that I've signed up for, and I've signed up for some of the more popular classes. From what I know, you usually get the classes you want, it doesn't happen too much that you have to go to plan B. I think that's because we don't use the auction system, and the program office works well with the students to have the types and numbers of classes that the students are interested in.

Bhavin (Sep 12, 2006 10:50:54 AM)
Natasja/Mark/Tamsin/Mary - Could any of you provide a perspective on opportunities post LBS MBA on the Sales & Trading side

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:53:33 AM)
Bhavin: one of my friends in the program landed an internship and a fulltime offer in a sales and trading position with a highly respected bank, so there's definitely opportunities. It's as with most job-switches: prepare well, by knowing everything about the industry, talking to people, getting your interviewing skills up to scratch etc.

Julian_frmLA (Sep 12, 2006 10:52:45 AM)
Tamsin: Do you help connect students on the incoming class prior to the start of the semester. This would be a good opportunity to find potential flat mates.

TamsinShillitoelbs (Sep 12, 2006 10:55:01 AM)
Hi Julian, the school has a Portal system which means that you can contact your fellow class mates at time of offer. There is a online facility to help you find a flat and plenty of advice as well as postings with details of flats to let.

Julian_frmLA (Sep 12, 2006 10:56:33 AM)
Thanks Tamsin. That will really help.

awny (Sep 12, 2006 10:53:14 AM)
DavidSimpsonLBS .... Do I have a lower chance getting accepted if I applied in round 2 instead of round one ... and in 3 instead of 1 or 2 and so forth ..?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:55:05 AM)
Awny, see earlier in the chat for an answer to that one. Equal chances in the first 3 stages. However the later you apply, the less to time to prepare yourself.

Bhavin (Sep 12, 2006 10:53:25 AM)
Natasja : How many students are able to find opportunities in the field of Private Banking or Private Client Services?

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:54:14 AM)
Bhavin: I don't know about private banking, but if you check out the employment report on the LBS website (www.london.edu, and then look for career services), I think you can find more information.

Anuja Wadia (Sep 12, 2006 10:53:42 AM)
Mark: Hello. I'm not sure if my question came through or whether it was answered already. What do LBS students do for fun? Are there recreational facilities on campus?

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:56:53 AM)
Hi Anuja - we are right next to Regents Park which is massive and has a lot of recreational facilities. There is also a gym on campus. What do we do for fun? You name it...

EdMBA (Sep 12, 2006 10:54:59 AM)
David: What role does the interview play in the admission process? Does the alumni interviewing the applicant make the final decision? How does this second phase of the application process work?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Sep 12, 2006 11:00:03 AM)
EdMBA - the interview is vital to our decision making process. Nobody gains admission without an Alumni interview. (Interviews are by invite only, after application submission). Sometimes we carry out more than one interview if we want to learn more. They last anywhere between 40 minutes and 4 hours! Alumni interviewers have areas they must cover and also take the interview in a different direction if requested by the Admissions Committee or if they uncover something interesting during the discussion. Unlike many schools, we do not use MBA Admissions Staff interviews alone to make admissions decisions. The alumni do not make the decision, they simply feed in their feedback and the Admissions Committee uses that along with everything else to make a decision.

Guest (Sep 12, 2006 10:55:36 AM)
Tamsin: In order to get into finance specialization, is it absolute necessary to have any UK experience?? Do you start on with a disadvantage if you try to do finance specialization and don't have any previous finance work experience or background

Julian_frmLA (Sep 12, 2006 10:55:48 AM)
Mary: How extensive are your connections to the Asian market?

MaryFerreiraLBS (Sep 12, 2006 11:07:42 AM)
Julian from LA. Hello.  London Business School connections in Asia. They are good: very active alumni clubs across the region, cases linked to the region, Executive MBA and Sloan students doing Field trips in the region as part of their degree curriculum...... In fact one of my MBA colleagues will have a group of MBA alumni helping her at an MBA fair that we are attending in Shanghai this Thursday - both China nationals and alumni from other countries who are now based in China working in fields ranging from manufacturing to theatrical entertainment!. Japan has one of our largest alumni contingents and we have wide connections with Hong Kong, India and Singapore. This term, CEIBS in Shanghai has been our most popular international exchange school for London Business School students who will be spending one term overseas. We also have exchange programs in Hong Kong, Japan and India.

Julian_frmLA (Sep 12, 2006 10:56:15 AM)
Mark, Is 2 weeks enough to find a flat? Or do most students look online for them prior to arriving?

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 10:59:31 AM)
Julian - I wouldn't necessarily wait until only 2 weeks out, but it is definitely possible. I've always thought 4-6 weeks is the sweet spot. A pretty good strategy is to organize to live with a few other students and if it is easier for them to get to London to look for places, then do it that way. On the other hand, 2 weeks is short enough to find a flat but you'll be running around a bit and unlikely to have the same selection level.

TamsinShillitoelbs (Sep 12, 2006 10:59:07 AM)
Julian, There are also events taking place on campus - Admits Weekend and other evening functions where you can meet potential flat mates. Prior to the start of term everyone tends to meet up either in London or with other candidates based in your region. It is pretty easy to find somewhere. Flats are often passed on from one MBA year to the next.

Arun (Sep 12, 2006 10:58:10 AM)
Hi Mark, could you please let me know the opportunities available in healthcare sector post MBA from LBS. what kinds of roles have been offered to LBS students by pharmaceutical companies.

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 11:02:26 AM)
Arun - there is a strong healthcare club here, but I do not belong to it. Pharma are interested in us, and do recruit. I would recommend you contact the Student Association directly through the SA website who will be able to put you in touch with the club leadership. www.londonsa.org.

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2006 10:59:58 AM)
Natasja, the school web site touts the London Experience. What does that mean to you as a student at London Business School? How is your NYC exchange program adding to your MBA experience?

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 11:02:48 AM)
Linda: the London experience means living, working and studying in what must be one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world, you want it, it's right there on your doorstep, both in your private and your professional life. What NYC helps me do is put things in perspective, to pull myself out of my comfort zone (Stern does things a lot differently from LBS), and soak up the atmosphere in New York. It's also allowing me to build a network in New York, and take some courses that are not available at LBS.

Bhavin (Sep 12, 2006 11:00:45 AM)
Tamsin : When is the best time to visit campus to talk to students and Admissions staff?

TamsinShillitoelbs (Sep 12, 2006 11:10:49 AM)
Hi Bhavin and NS, It would be good to visit campus when the second years start in mid-October so that you can arrange to sit in on one of their elective classed. You will need to give us at least a weeks notice for this to be organized and can e-mail our Information Office at mbainfo@london.edu. You may also want to tie this in with an Information Session and you can view details of these and register on our website. We also hold drop in sessions every Monday and Friday at 3pm (except for public holidays). Our next Information Session is on the 18th September and is a formal presentation followed by an Alumni and student Q&A panel. You will then have the opportunity over drinks to speak to alumni, students and members of the Marketing and Admissions Team.

RKB (Sep 12, 2006 11:01:21 AM)
Mary: As per information, London Business School is going to add "Being Entrepreneur" among core courses. Will this happen for MBA 2009 class as this is very important course for any sector in the market?

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2006 11:02:42 AM)
Mark and Natasja: We are not about a month away from London Business School's first application deadline (Oct. 20). What advice would you have for applicants aiming to submit in January?

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 11:05:08 AM)
Linda: my advice is to try and gather as much information as possible (by chats like these, or by checking out mbablog.london.edu), and think carefully about why YOU want to do an MBA and what that is going to add for you, in your career. Think both about what the school can offer you and what you can offer to the school. And take time to write the essays, don't rush them.

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 11:02:52 AM)
Who wants to know about the Santas Pub Crawl??

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 11:03:22 AM)
Santa Pub Crawl = one of the two best parties in the year (the other one is Tattoo)!!!

lisauchegbu (Sep 12, 2006 11:03:41 AM)
What is the Santas Pub Crawl????

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2006 11:03:51 AM)
You took the bait. ;-)

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 11:06:33 AM)
Santas Pub Crawl - 750 Santas running around the centre of London (staff and students!), 1 white rabbit, carol singing in Trafalgar Square and the odd worried glance from passing 6 year olds (oh, and a lot of explaining to do for some Dads!). Its awesome. My favorite was bumper cars Santas, and falling-asleep-against-a-pole Santa. It's a site to behold!

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 11:06:58 AM)
For more information on Tattoo and Santa Claus Pub Crawl, click on the links.

En Chiang (Sep 12, 2006 11:04:02 AM)
What is Tattoo?

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 11:09:02 AM)
Tattoo - the cultural event of the year. Everyone gets very home proud, and cooks for each other so you have a tattoo of food and drinks stands with everyone's national foods, a bunch of different bands and dance troops (last year included Brazilian salsa dancing, Japanese drum bands, Scottish pipes, Russian folk dance, and the list goes on), not to mention the birth of the best student band I've ever seen. Rock on.

Bhavin (Sep 12, 2006 11:04:07 AM)
Natasja : What are the courses your taking at Stern, that are not available at LBS?

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 11:06:11 AM)
Bhavin: two of the courses that LBS currently doesn't offer but that I am taking here are New Product Marketing and Advertising Management. Plus I'll be taking Entrepreneurial Selling later on this term.

lisauchegbu (Sep 12, 2006 11:07:40 AM)
Natasja: Is the exchange program usually for an entire term?

NatasjaGiezenLBS (Sep 12, 2006 11:09:12 AM)
Lisauchegbu: yes, the exchange happens either in LBS autumn term or in LBS spring term (usually you have a choice of either term, but that depends on the host school), and lasts for as long as a term lasts at the host school (for me, I'm on a semester now, so my term is quite long, Sept - Dec).

Ashley (Sep 12, 2006 11:08:22 AM)
David, how can one contact the Indian students who have just got accepted for the 2006 Fall or the second year Indian students?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Sep 12, 2006 11:10:05 AM)
Ashley, http://www.londonsa.org/dynamic/club_profile.php?id=48

snubasu (Sep 12, 2006 11:08:50 AM)
Mary: Re-asking this one - Does any one have a comment on recruiters specifically looking for LBS MBAs because of their international exposure in addition to the fact that they have had a good B-school education?

MaryFerreiraLBS (Sep 12, 2006 11:19:03 AM)
Snubasu. Firms that are looking for students with international outlook and curiosity as well as international skills, attributes and learning will be aware of the quality business schools that recruit MBA students with this type of profile. At London, we call this our Global Business Capabilities. This is evident when you research different business schools and see the firms that hire from them. It is also important to look at the curriculum offered by the business school as well as the student profile. The knowledge that our students have to be flexible and adaptable in order to be able to work with their peer group from all over the world, is very attractive to companies for whom cultural awareness is key.

Julian_frmLA (Sep 12, 2006 11:09:45 AM)
David, Mary, or Tamsin: How do you determine "fit"?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Sep 12, 2006 11:14:09 AM)
Julian - 'fit' for the London Business School MBA is a very broad area. As an applicant much of it comes down to leveraging your professional experience and showing that you shine as an individual - there are only c300 places for a lot of applicants...we have some pretty tough decisions to make.

-tvu (Sep 12, 2006 11:10:45 AM)
Mark; seems you're the designated social guy. How's the social life in LBS and London?

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 11:13:30 AM)
-tvu - the social life is awesome. Because everyone comes from around the world they don't know anyone else, so it is all good

MarkHorroxLBS (Sep 12, 2006 11:11:31 AM)
The key thing for me and why I'm at LBS is the culture - you wont find it anywhere else. Others will cite living in one of the greatest cities on the planet, the strength of the academic courses - we have a reputation for academic rigor - and the proximity of the school to the international finance centre.

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2006 11:13:07 AM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to David, Tamsin , Mary, Mark, and Natasja.

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2006 11:13:43 AM)
To receive automatic notification of the chats, please subscribe to our MBA Event list.

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2006 11:15:01 AM)
Good luck with your applications!

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room