Haas MBA with Peter Johnson and Jett Pihakis

Haas MBA with Peter Johnson and Jett Pihakis

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 9:44:49 AM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat. First I want to welcome all applicants to the chat today, and I want to congratulate you for taking the time to learn more about Berkeley’s Haas School of Business. It is critical to your decision making process and your admission chances that you know as much as you can about the schools you are applying to. Being here today allows you to ask experts about this top business school.

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 9:44:59 AM)
I also want to give a special welcome Pete Johnson and Jett Pihakis, Co-Directors of Admissions at Haas, and Abby Scott, Director of Career Services at Haas. Congratulations to the Berkeley team on their top 10 placement -- #8 actually – in BW’s recently released rankings.

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 9:45:05 AM)
Thanks to everyone for joining.

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 9:45:07 AM)
GO BEARS!

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 9:45:12 AM)
Thanks for having us, Linda!

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 9:45:22 AM)
Thanks for coming Pete.

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 9:46:19 AM)
Pete and Jett, what's new at Haas?

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 9:46:36 AM)
Well that's certainly a broad question, isn't it?

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 9:46:44 AM)
You're supposed to start off easy, Linda!

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 9:46:49 AM)
I don't think I could make it any broader?

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 9:47:00 AM)
Ha!

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 9:47:04 AM)
It's a real easy pitch for you to hit out of the park. :-)

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 9:47:14 AM)
That was supposed to be easy!

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 9:47:41 AM)
Right now, we've been very focused on communicating our new strategy of training our students in Leading through Innovation. This is where the senior staff and faculty have been spending much of their time. We're very , very excited about this...and the students are too.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 9:48:00 AM)
And as always, we have some interesting new courses and faculty-

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 9:48:03 AM)
Yes, the podcast did an excellent job of that and you brochure also focuses on that very strongly.

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 9:48:50 AM)
Are you interested in hearing a bit about what we mean by "Leading through Innovation?"

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 9:48:52 AM)
I could ask you to define it, but Dean Lyons spends ten minutes explaining it so may be it's best to let applicants listen to the podcast.

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 9:48:57 AM)
Sure.

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 9:49:12 AM)
You're correct that Rich does a nice job of defining it on his podcast but for those who've not yet heard it, let me try to give a sense. Basically, our mission is to produce business leaders, of course, but what kind of business leader do we want to produce? Our leadership vision is embedded in the words Leading through Innovation. LTI is both a set of distinctive capabilities and a mindset, which together define business leaders from Berkeley. The core principle motivating our vision is that business create commercial value not by being the same, but by being different. Powerful forces toward homogenization and commoditization are ever present. Across all industries, firms recognize that innovation--putting good ideas to work to create value--is required to stay ahead of the competition, and firms must respond with agility to changing environments. Innovation in this sense extends far beyond developing new technology, or new physical products. More commonly, commercial value comes instead from innovations in the organization of work, in strategy, in services, and/or in business models. Innovation is not about developing new technology--it's about effective leadership. You can tell we're very excited about this!

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 9:49:47 AM)
Go ahead Jett. Here's a question for Pete.

BRL (Oct 18, 2006 9:49:54 AM)
What is HAAS looking for in an applicant to fit into the culture? I understand that HAAS has a technology focus!

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 9:51:40 AM)
BRL, although technology-focused leadership is something that our program is well-known for, it is just one of the strong areas....

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 9:52:45 AM)
Linda, you were going to pitch me a different question?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 9:53:46 AM)
You can get Jett's 5-volume treatise online at Amazon.com....

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 9:53:50 AM)
:)

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 9:53:59 AM)
lol.

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 9:54:17 AM)
At the same time, "leadership" and "innovation" are overused terms in MBA admissions.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 9:54:33 AM)
Linda, that's true--which is one of the reasons we go to such lengths to talk about it. Our view of innovation is more related to creativity, new ideas, and soft skills, which is not always how people think about innovation. As Jett pointed out, it's much broader than technology.

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 9:55:35 AM)
From listening to the podcast, it seems to also be related to creating value.

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 9:54:34 AM)
I appreciate you folks personally and Berkeley as an institution taking the time to define what you mean.

Melanie Tong - Austria (Oct 18, 2006 9:54:45 AM)
Jett: I'm interested in studying abroad, offered in the fall of the 2nd year, will this interfere with recruiting processes?

Gogiants (Oct 18, 2006 9:55:02 AM)
Pete: Is Haas open to joint degrees in Public Policy? Many other top 10 schools (Tuck, Kellogg, Sloan - also Boalt Hall) have an agreements with the Kennedy School at Harvard. Is this something Haas would consider if an applicant were accepted at both places?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 9:55:36 AM)
Gogiants, at this time, we do not offer a joint degree in public policy although many of our students take some of their elective courses in Berkeley's Goldman School of Public Policy and have interests in the intersection of public policy and business.

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 9:55:42 AM)
Melanie, if you go abroad, you will be able to take advantage of on-campus recruiting at the institution you are attending overseas. You will also have access to our job postings that come through Haas' Career Center, of course, but you won't be able to go through Haas' on-campus recruiting during the semester you are away.

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 9:55:43 AM)
It's not just being quirky for it's own sake.

Melanie Tong - Austria (Oct 18, 2006 9:56:08 AM)
Pete: What kind of positions do people get under the 12% "General Management"

BRL (Oct 18, 2006 9:56:18 AM)
Jett: Who will be a typical fit for HAAS?

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 9:56:44 AM)
BRL, to be honest, I think one of the things that's so wonderful about Haas is that there is no "typical" fit. Our students are so incredibly diverse. New students are always amazed at the incredible differences among them. Differences in terms of undergraduate major, professional background, life experiences, etc. What they have in common is that they are very smart, very driven to succeed, collaborative to an extreme, and passionate about something that really matters to them. Our students are also praised for being confident without having "attitude." This is another characteristic which defines us.

Melanie Tong - Austria (Oct 18, 2006 9:57:12 AM)
Pete: In the application process, what is considered "proficient"? How do we indicate languages that we are knowledgeable in, but not completely proficient? (for instance, if you can speak Chinese fluently, but cannot read/write fluently?)

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 9:57:55 AM)
Melanie, that 12% under General Management reflects a variety of different activities--including business development and operations.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 9:58:51 AM)
Melanie, I would indicate that proficiency. The field is structured in such a way that you can include some data to describe the type of proficiency you feel that you have.

Matt_S (Oct 18, 2006 9:59:06 AM)
Hi Pete et. al., thanks for joining us here today! I just started a part-time MBA program last month to get a feel for graduate studies but plan to halt classes at the end of this quarter to transition to a full-time program. Although Haas doesn't accept transfer credits, what information do you usually prefer to see from transfer students during the application process?

Anuja Wadia (Oct 18, 2006 9:59:17 AM)
Jett: Hello. Can you provide any insight to interviews? What are some common mistakes you have seen? Thank you.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 9:59:52 AM)
Matt, one important aspect is to explain why you are seeking to make this transition from a PT to a full-time program.  And even though we do not transfer units, if you were admitted to the FT program you would have the opportunity to take waiver exams for some of your core subjects.

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 9:59:56 AM)
Welcome Abby! Abby is the Director of Career Management and Haas. Let me also congratulate you on the BW ranking which weighs heavily recruiter opinion.

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 9:59:57 AM)
Anuja, interviews are actually meant to be very enjoyable exchanges. I know this may sound hard to believe, but they really are friendly conversations, nothing to get nervous about. The biggest mistakes that people make include being too nervous and fidgety, not thinking about what they are going to say BEFORE they begin responding to a question and not thoroughly researching the school before coming to interview. You should treat a b-school interview just as you would a job interview. Prepare, prepare, prepare but don't overly prepare to the point where your answers sound rehearsed and unnatural and never try to direct the discussion yourself. Some candidates try to take control of the interview to make the points that they wish to make. Not a good strategy.

Melanie Tong - Austria (Oct 18, 2006 10:01:12 AM)
Abby: Which Consumer Products companies recruit at Haas?

BRL (Oct 18, 2006 10:02:16 AM)
Pete: As an applicant why should one prefer HAAS as one's first choice instead of UCLA or Stanford within the same region?

suhag (Oct 18, 2006 10:02:27 AM)
Jett: I have graduated from US university and I am from India. Can I waive TOEFL and if so is there a waiver form available?

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:02:50 AM)
If you graduated from a US university, you are not required to take the TOEFL--no waiver form required.

AbbyScottHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:02:57 AM)
Hi everyone, sorry I'm late. Some of the CPG companies that are recruiting at Haas this year include Clorox, Del Monte, Mattel, J&J, Gallo, etc...

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:03:10 AM)
BRL, although all three of the MBA programs you mentioned will offer a top business education, all of our programs are different. ...we have different focuses, different specializations, etc. I think that whichever of the 3 programs best meets your personal and professional development goals should be your top choice.

Skii (Oct 18, 2006 10:03:16 AM)
Jett: if there would be one thing that Haas can advertise for ...what would that be...Just one thing..

Melanie Tong - Austria (Oct 18, 2006 10:03:37 AM)
Abby: Is there much access to opportunities in Europe?

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:03:49 AM)
Skii, I'm not sure exactly what you mean......when you say something that we can advertise for, do you mean a key strength?

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 10:03:58 AM)
I think so Jett.

Gogiants (Oct 18, 2006 10:04:22 AM)
Pete, thanks for the response, I see that it (joint degree in public policy) isn't offered, but is this something that Haas is open to if a student pursued it, or has the door been shut? If so, could you tell me why Haas doesn't think it's valuable if so many of the top B Schools do?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:05:13 AM)
Gogiants, to do a joint degree, it has to be something in which that program already exists. And the fact that Haas doesn't currently offer it reflects a variety of things. For Haas to offer it, our faculty (and Goldman's ) would need to agree on why the academic synergies made sense.

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:05:34 AM)
Hmmmm, that is so tough. Just one thing, huh? Wow. If I had to choose only one thing, it would probably be something that differentiates us quite a bit from other schools. More specifically, our students tend to have a strong social consciousness, a strong interest in corporate social responsibility, and a keen interest in making the world a better place. I have heard us referred to as developing "leaders with a heart." I think that's nice.

Matt_S (Oct 18, 2006 10:05:58 AM)
Jett: I'm looking at a pretty dramatic career change -- from a multinational technology firm to starting my own non-profit consulting business. Based on my work experience, it's not an easy task to expect my supervisors to gauge my ability to manage a non-profit. What would help you folks best evaluate my potential for that field if not from a recommendation?

Melanie Tong - Austria (Oct 18, 2006 10:06:36 AM)
Pete: If we make the first round application deadline, when should we expect to hear whether or not we get an interview? What is the interview process, especially we if are unable to make one on-campus?

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:07:13 AM)
Matt, you yourself can help us to evaluate your potential to make this transition by helping us to understand how you plan to go about doing it, what steps you plan to take, and why this is a leap you wish to make.

AbbyScottHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:07:15 AM)
Melanie: There are certainly firms that target Haas from Europe. For example, BT was here just last week from London, Deutsche Post World Net posts internships each year, and numerous consulting firms and investment banks encourage students to apply to their European offices. We have found that alumni are also a terrific resource for opportunities in Europe.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:07:20 AM)
We have a business and public policy faculty group within Haas, so clearly issues of public policy are important to the faculty.

BRL (Oct 18, 2006 10:07:40 AM)
Abby: Given HAAS's technology orientation, what would be the chances of a student with a high tech managerial background to do a career change to a strategy consultant or a job in finance?

Anuja Wadia (Oct 18, 2006 10:08:03 AM)
Your response is very helpful, thank you Jett!

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:08:11 AM)
My pleasure, Anuja.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:08:23 AM)
Melanie, you could receive an invitation to interview any time between November 6 and late January. Most likely, you would learn in early-mid-January. All of our interviews are conducted by trained alumni interviewers (off-campus) or student interviewers (on-campus). If you are invited to an interview, you have the option of interviewing with an alumni interviewer in one of 85 cities around the world or coming to campus.

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 10:08:45 AM)
Pete, how are interviews used in the evaluation process?

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:09:51 AM)
I'm getting lonely here, with no questions to answer....

Skii (Oct 18, 2006 10:09:53 AM)
Jett: When u go thru an application there surely might be some first impressions. Do u usually go by those first impressions?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:09:59 AM)
Linda, we conduct interviews by invitation only, which happens after at least two members of the admissions committee have reviewed the file. In an average year, 25-30% of our applicants will be invited to interview.

AbbyScottHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:10:11 AM)
BRL: Switches from tech into consulting and banking happen all the time. It's important for anyone making that switch to demonstrate how your skills are relevant to a bank or consulting firm. Firms are certainly open to it, but you have to "connect the dots" for them and show them you know your stuff, just like any other candidates.

Melanie Tong - Austria (Oct 18, 2006 10:10:25 AM)
Abby: What percentage then, of students who graduate from Haas, actually land a job in Europe?

Gogiants (Oct 18, 2006 10:10:31 AM)
Thanks Pete - I think there is a clear relationship between government and business - is it a lost cause to try and get the school to approve a dual degree - with either Goldman or Kennedy at Harvard?

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:11:33 AM)
Skii, we absolutely do not go with first impressions! Far from it, our application review process is quite holistic. Every application is reviewed by a minimum of two readers, often three, and sometimes four. All candidates who interview are then discussed an admissions committee before a decision is made. We really take our job of selecting students very seriously--and it does take us quite some time.

ariel (Oct 18, 2006 10:11:39 AM)
Jett: how do you view a political viewpoint in the application essays and/or in the interview process, not anything heavy, but having some kind of implicit political statement.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:12:37 AM)
Gogiants, I'm pretty sure that it is a lost cause to pursue a dual degree with the Kennedy School. A joint degree with Goldman has been discussed, but there hasn't been sufficient interest from the faculty to create it.

suhag (Oct 18, 2006 10:12:50 AM)
Pete: Is there a special waiver form for TOEFL? I have graduated from US university, but an international applicant.

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:13:11 AM)
Ariel, I think it's completely fine to express a political viewpoint in essays or interviews, especially if politics are important to you. Again, we look to understand what you are passionate about. You needn't worry about your application reader or interviewer being turned off if they have the opposite opinion. Again, at Berkeley, we really value DIVERSITY of thought. We want people who have all kinds of opinions about all kinds of issues.

Melanie Tong - Austria (Oct 18, 2006 10:13:27 AM)
Jett: Is there a restriction on the number of pages for the resume?

AbbyScottHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:13:40 AM)
Melanie, a small percentage are actually looking for a position in Europe. Last year, about 3% of our grads went straight to Europe, but the numbers increase over time. After a few years working in the States, we find that many of our alums head back to Europe so the alumni population seems to be pretty healthy in the major cities.

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:13:44 AM)
Typically, resumes are one page. I have seen some that are 2 pages, but certainly no more than 2 pages.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:13:48 AM)
Suhag, if you have completed at least one year of full-time regular course work at an accredited US university (ESL doesn't count, of course) then the TOEFL is automatically waived.

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 10:14:27 AM)
Pete and Jett: When you are evaluating applications and the numbers are in the ballpark, what puts one applicant in the admit pile, and others in the rejected or waitlisted piles?

Gogiants (Oct 18, 2006 10:14:41 AM)
Abby: What percent of the class stays in the bay area post graduation?

AbbyScottHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:14:45 AM)
Get your resume down to one page now....you'll thank us later! (A one page resume is required for most schools' MBA resume books)

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:15:27 AM)
A combination of many factors differentiates between the applicants, Linda: work experience is very important, letters of recommendation make a difference, and personal qualities, essays, and extra-curriculars also weigh heavily. There is no easy answer to this question.

Melanie Tong - Austria (Oct 18, 2006 10:15:34 AM)
Abby: Which Fortune 500 companies have been recruiting for CSR type talent, since Haas is well known for their Center of Responsible Business? In what positions?

AbbyScottHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:15:49 AM)
This year, 57% have stayed in the Bay Area. It's a beautiful place to live.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:15:52 AM)
Linda, as Jett points out, it could be a variety of things that differentiate applicants. There is no "magic bullet".

Matt_S (Oct 18, 2006 10:16:04 AM)
Jett, I'll keep you busy: Is Cal going to beat Stanford this year?? :)

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:16:05 AM)
I encourage people to listen to the admissions podcast available at mba.haas.berkeley.edu where I speak for 15 minutes offering tips for preparing the best application, and I explain how we review each component of the application

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:16:19 AM)
Matt, I think EVERYONE knows the answer to that question!!!

Gogiants (Oct 18, 2006 10:16:19 AM)
Pete: how do you view a typo in an essay? such an omitted word. No matter how many times one reads their essays this can happen ... is it a big deal?

eric19 (Oct 18, 2006 10:16:25 AM)
Jett: I have a question regarding the Management of Technology (MOT) program. Is this an interdisciplinary program, or a concentration within the MBA program, etc? Do you have to be 'admitted' into MOT in addition to Haas?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:17:19 AM)
Gogiants, I'm not wild about typos in the application, but they do happen. One or two typographical errors is one thing--consistent typos, grammar mistakes, etc. are another.  I also encourage you to have another person proofread your essays before you click "submit"...

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:17:24 AM)
Great question, eric19. The MOT is BOTH an interdisciplinary program AND a concentration within the MBA program.....and you need not apply to the MOT program at all. Anyone with interest can pursue a certificate in MOT.

Salvador (Oct 18, 2006 10:17:30 AM)
Jett, I would like to apply HAAS and Anderson, there is not interest problem ??

Gop (Oct 18, 2006 10:17:47 AM)
Pete: About leadership experience: The best example where I've had considerable impact on my team and shown leadership happened few years ago. Do you expect any recent examples, or an example in the past would be considered fine? What if that experience is in a team sport, and not in a professional team?

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:17:57 AM)
Salvador, absolutely not! Both Haas and Anderson are terrific schools. Many people apply to both. By all means, apply, apply, apply!

ole (Oct 18, 2006 10:18:00 AM)
Jett; what strategy would you suggest to overcome low GPA?

Gogiants (Oct 18, 2006 10:18:19 AM)
Pete: how are alternate transcripts viewed to help alleviate a poor GPA?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:19:18 AM)
Gop, I encourage you to use whichever examples you feel best illustrate your abilities. Although a recent work example might be more compelling, every application is unique, and a past example that is not work-related could be helpful in understanding your abilities.

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 10:19:27 AM)
Abby: How is hiring going this year? We know that last year was a great recruiting year. Are there more companies recruiting on campus this year? Are any sectors particularly active?

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:19:33 AM)
Ole, several things can help to offset a lower GPA. A higher GMAT can help; enrolling in current coursework at a local college and doing well can help; and preparing a very strong application for admission (e.g. resume, essays, letters, etc.) can help.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:19:38 AM)
Gogiants, what do you mean by "alternate transcripts", exactly?

AbbyScottHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:19:50 AM)
Regarding CSR positions, we are having a panel later this week of alumni working in CSR, social venture and non-profit jobs. Should be great! The pool of CSR "jobs" is still quite small. Many students bring "CSR" to their position (in marketing, in finance...) Some companies will post CSR "functional " jobs, but we find that companies are newly creating such positions, and the Haas students that land them often have built a relationship with a firm over time (a class project on the topic, etc.)

Melanie Tong - Austria (Oct 18, 2006 10:19:56 AM)
Jett: How man new courses are offered (de-listed) every year? Will the elective offering be drastically different two years from now?

AbbyScottHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:20:32 AM)
On campus interviewing is in full swing and our interview schedules are packed. Today firms are renting rooms in nearby hotels because we are so full...

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 10:20:40 AM)
Wow!

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:20:49 AM)
Melanie, we have anywhere from 5-10 new electives each year.

Skii (Oct 18, 2006 10:20:56 AM)
Pete: Do u think an EXTRAORDINARY GMAT and extremely impressive extra-curriculars (President of the Student Govt) be able to outweigh the low GPA

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:21:01 AM)
I love to hear about these problems--Abby, you can use my office! ;-)

Gogiants (Oct 18, 2006 10:21:02 AM)
Pete - By alternate transcripts I mean classes at community college - econ/stats/accounting that many adcoms recommend to overcome a poor GPA - Jett actually just mentioned it

suhag (Oct 18, 2006 10:21:19 AM)
Jett: What do applicants living outside CA need to mention in application if applying for Evening MBA program? Any special issues to address?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:21:59 AM)
Skii, having an extraordinary GMAT and good extra-curriculars certainly help--but it's hard to say whether or not they can overcome a weak undergraduate record (note that I said UG record, since it isn't just GPA).

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:22:34 AM)
Suhag, I don't read apps for the Evening program, so you may wish to contact that office directly for a response to this question. My guess is that you may wish to address how you will be able to get to campus two nights a week (or one day a week--Saturday--if you are in the weekend program), but it's probably not a big deal.

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 10:22:39 AM)
Pete and Jett, are you anticipating an increase or decrease in applications this year and how much?

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 10:23:08 AM)
Abby, Pete mentioned to me that this week you have two days devoted to career development. Could you tell us about the program?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:23:18 AM)
Gogiants, those course at community college help to establish your abilities in econ/stats etc, which is helpful. It does give us additional evidence of your academic preparation, but it may or may not overcome a weak record.

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:23:23 AM)
Linda, it's always so hard to predict, but if I had to put money on it, I would predict an increase again this year. We were up 26% last year, and I think we'll be up again this year.

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 10:23:42 AM)
Impressive.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:23:49 AM)
Linda, I also predict an increase this year. I'm clearing my spring schedule. Reading, reading, reading.....

Gop (Oct 18, 2006 10:24:10 AM)
Pete: I graduated from Europe and my university doesn't have the tradition of giving grades to several of our courses and thesis projects in our graduate/post graduate programs (applicable to many European Universities) . In that case, would Haas accept transcripts without a calculated GPA? Do we have to provide some additional documents along with the transcript?

Melanie Tong - Austria (Oct 18, 2006 10:24:21 AM)
Jett: Curious - which student groups would you say are the most popular?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:25:03 AM)
Gop, in fact, we specifically ask that you not try to translate your marks or calculate a GPA. We view your performance in the context of the system that it represents. So, for example if you graduated from a university in the UK, we would look at individual courses, but focus on whether you completed 1:2, 2:1, etc.

AbbyScottHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:25:33 AM)
The Career Management Conference is a 2-day event where 1st yr MBAs have no classes and focus on career development.....resume workshops, mock interviews, alumni panels, etc. About 3 dozen alumni and nearly as many 2nd yr MBAs are focused on this, in conjunction with our staff, to help students get ready for their internship search.

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:25:42 AM)
Melanie, The student groups that are most popular I'd say are Net Impact, Women in Leadership, the Marketing Club, Consulting Club, Finance Club, Entrepreneur's Association, Technology Club....these come to my mind right away

Guest (Oct 18, 2006 10:25:57 AM)
Pete, you described the interview process briefly. Have you been able to notice any differences between the information gathered from an on-campus interview and those conducted off-campus with alumni? What information from a candidate's application does the Admissions Committee give to alumni interviewers to help steer the discussion?

Salvador (Oct 18, 2006 10:26:08 AM)
Jett: I’m an international student and my application will be finished for the third round, would I be in time to apply for financial aid and the student VISA ??

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:26:26 AM)
Salvador, absolutely you will be able to apply. No need to worry about that at all.

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 10:26:44 AM)
Pete: An increasing number of schools have decided to reach out to early-career applicants, those with less than two years of experience. Is Haas doing so too?

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 10:27:24 AM)
Abby, how is internship recruiting going or anticipated to go this year?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:27:28 AM)
Linda, no we aren't. Our faculty are very clear about the importance of professional experience prior to the MBA--it makes a huge difference in case studies and group projects.

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 10:27:45 AM)
Pete: Is there an advantage to applying in different rounds? What percentage of accepted students were accepted each round?

Melanie Tong - Austria (Oct 18, 2006 10:28:14 AM)
Jett: How competitive is it to get a chance to study abroad?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:28:33 AM)
Linda, we do not have a fixed number of offers that we plan to make in each round. As a general rule, an applicants should apply in the earliest round for which they are prepared. Chances of admission in rounds 1 and 2 are usually about the same; round 3 varies from year to year, and chances of admission are almost always much lower in Round 4, as most of the seats in the class have already been offered at that point.

Guest (Oct 18, 2006 10:28:59 AM)
Hi Pete & Jett: I was at the summer info session at Berkeley this past July and it was very helpful and informative. A question on extra-curricular activities. in the application How important are they and do you look negatively on candidates who have little extra-curricular activities since they have started working?

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:29:12 AM)
Melanie, it's not terribly competitive...but it depends on where you wish to study. We have three spots at each of our partner schools. In some years, fewer than three people are interested in School X....in other years, as many as ten might be interested. If more than three are interested, we have a lottery to decide who goes.

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 10:29:43 AM)
Matt S asks. How important are extracurricular activities and do you look negatively on candidates who have little extra curricular activities since they started working?

AbbyScottHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:29:45 AM)
Internship recruiting does not start until Jan/Feb but we are getting a lot of interest from firms in all sectors that typically recruit on campus (larger, more traditional recruiters of MBAs). We also end up getting a tremendous number of job postings each year for the less "traditional" areas...those come later in the year (Mar-May).

Gop (Oct 18, 2006 10:30:04 AM)
Abby: Could you please comment on the career opportunities for international students- especially be technology firms?

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:31:04 AM)
Matt S, we do look at a candidate's record of involvement, both during collage and afterwards. We don't expect to see the same level of involvement while you're working, as you obviously have less free time. We always consider the number of hours per week that you are working when we review your extra-curriculars.

Gop (Oct 18, 2006 10:31:56 AM)
Jett: Do you have exchange programs/participations with other Business schools? For instance, Sloan.

stevet (Oct 18, 2006 10:32:23 AM)
Pete/Jett, what are your thoughts on military re-applicants? More specifically, if one has remained in the same capacity in the military since the previous application, what type of career / experience progress is Haas looking for? Thanks.

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:32:55 AM)
Gop, we have an exchange program with Columbia in the US. All other partner schools are outside the US: London Business School, HEC, IESE, Rotterdam, Bocconi, and Hong Kong Univ of Sci and Tech

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:33:02 AM)
Stevet, your question suggests that you feel that the work experience was a weakness. If so, then I would think carefully about how to provide additional information about your level of duties/responsibilities, any leadership opportunities, etc. I would also look closely at your application, as there may be other issues that were a concern for the AdCom beyond the professional experience.

AbbyScottHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:33:33 AM)
For international students, there is always the extra step of understanding if a firm/opportunity is open to those without permanent permission to work in the U.S. For last year, about 63% of all opportunities were open to all students. Generally speaking, many tech firms are open to international students, but those that have policies against "sponsoring" international MBAs for a visa are hard to penetrate.

Matt_S (Oct 18, 2006 10:34:11 AM)
Abby, one aspect of Haas that impresses me is its commitment to social responsibility. What opportunities at Haas stand out as cornerstones for continuing this emphasis?

eric19 (Oct 18, 2006 10:34:41 AM)
Jett: Hass has four admissions rounds. This seems to be more than most of the schools I've seen. Is there are a particular reason for this? How are waitlisted candidates handled - ie, if a candidate is waitlisted in round 1, do they remain on the waitlist until enrollment is complete, or can they be admitted in subsequent rounds based on the competitiveness of those rounds?

ole (Oct 18, 2006 10:34:52 AM)
Pete; does Haas use the forced curve grade distribution?

Melanie Tong - Austria (Oct 18, 2006 10:35:06 AM)
Abby: How are the opportunities for the IBD found? Are students "placed" or do they "bid" or something else?

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:36:14 AM)
eric19, we have four rounds only because when we used to have three rounds, round two was too huge....we wanted to make our app volume more manageable.....if you are waitlisted in round one, you could receive a final decision during round two, three, or four

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 10:36:36 AM)
Jett: Are there any special considerations for re-applicants? Do you reviewers also like at least year's application when reviewing the application of a re-applicant? Do they just look at the reviewers' notes? Or do they ignore last year's application?

AbbyScottHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:37:04 AM)
Hi Matt, CSR is a part of the day to day here at Haas. As Jett mentioned, Net Impact, which includes many areas of which one is CSR, is one of our biggest clubs. As for jobs, as mentioned to a guest earlier, I find that many students bring a CSR orientation to their jobs in different functional areas, but those that take a functional job in CSR are few (but growing!).

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:37:24 AM)
Ole, faculty are encouraged to to grade on a curve in the core courses, but each professor is free to grade as she or he feels is most appropriate--and it's my understanding that only about 75% of the faculty follow that suggestion.

Melanie Tong - Austria (Oct 18, 2006 10:37:46 AM)
Pete: Under "number of hours per week," that should be averaged, correct? Does this include travel time? (quite significant if you are 50% travel)

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:37:59 AM)
Linda, when we review re-applicants, we do review the entire application from last year (or the year before)....no "special considerations" are given, although we are certainly impressed by their strong commitment to Berkeley.

Gop (Oct 18, 2006 10:38:17 AM)
Jett: Is there an opportunity for us to contact current Haas students? Other schools (Ross) publish contacts of the MBA ambassadors.

AbbyScottHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:38:44 AM)
Melanie - I assume you mean the International Business Development trips...not my area, but there is a selection process where students apply to participate in the class/projects. Those selected are matched with a team, based on backgrounds and interests.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:38:52 AM)
Melanie, yes, it should be averaged. Since your company likely considers travel time as part of your work, you should include it-

ole (Oct 18, 2006 10:39:03 AM)
Abby: what career options are there in the health care sector for internationals? Do students who come with medical background remain in this field?

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:39:12 AM)
gop, yes! you can contact current students by e-mailing our Haas student ambassadors at hsa@haas.berkeley.edu. They'll be happy to answer any questions you have, and they'll also be happy to connect you with other students who might share a profile similar to you

ole (Oct 18, 2006 10:39:25 AM)
Pete: and what about grade disclosure policy?

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 10:40:16 AM)
Jett. Melanie asks about the IBD program. How are students chosen for it? Are they placed or do students bid?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:40:31 AM)
Ole, each year our students vote on the grade disclosure policy--and each year for the last five years, the vote has always been to not disclose.

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:41:09 AM)
Students will apply for the IBD program. They complete an application, write an essay, and submit a resume. Interviews are also conducted. Typically, 100 or so apply for 72 spots.

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 10:41:20 AM)
How do you view applications from applicants who had previously declined an offer of admission from you?

ole (Oct 18, 2006 10:41:27 AM)
Thanks Pete!

Melanie Tong - Austria (Oct 18, 2006 10:41:38 AM)
Jett: How do we find opportunities to chat with alumni that are in our area/time zone?

Melanie Tong - Austria (Oct 18, 2006 10:41:49 AM)
Jett - I had also asked about how IBD opportunities are secured.

AbbyScottHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:42:18 AM)
Healthcare is a growing area, in particular biotech and pharma. Since many students from those fields have a science background, which is welcomed by the companies, I do find that many stick with it but may go after a different area.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:42:37 AM)
Linda, we would not view them negatively--at least not on application #2! In part, it depends on why they chose not to accept their initial offer. Since we don't normally offer deferrals, we have a number of these applicants each year.

Inclined (Oct 18, 2006 10:42:42 AM)
Abby,can you please indicate/name few of the firms which have a policy not to "sponsor" International MBAs or may be indicate, which sector are they from ?

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 10:43:00 AM)
Pete, what 3 qualities do you want to see in applicants before you will admit them?

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:43:00 AM)
Sorry, Melanie.....the IBD opportunities come to the faculty coordinator, and he selects the projects which he feels are most interesting and valuable to our students

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:44:33 AM)
Linda, in an applicant I look for leadership potential, solid academic preparation, and strong professional experience.

Melanie Tong - Austria (Oct 18, 2006 10:44:35 AM)
Thanks Jett -

AbbyScottHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:44:39 AM)
International students have found the most difficulty getting into consumer products firms for U.S. based jobs. Having said that, some CPG firms are certainly open to international students, but as a % this industry is the most difficult for internationals.

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:45:16 AM)
I ditto what Pete said: in fact, he and I conferred over the phone before he typed his answer. How's THAT for collaboration?!

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 10:45:29 AM)
And use of technology too!

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 10:45:31 AM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to Pete, Jett, and Abby for joining us. today. I know it is a very busy time of year for you all.

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 10:45:40 AM)
We look forward to seeing you at future chats, and here is a list of the upcoming scheduled chats:

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 10:45:47 AM)
USC Oct. 24 Consortium 2 Oct. 25 MIT Oct. 31 Columbia Nov. 1 CMU Nov. 9

JettPihakisHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:45:51 AM)
Thanks so much for having us, Linda. It's always a pleasure.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:45:52 AM)
Linda, as always, thanks for providing an additional platform for us to inform candidates!

AbbyScottHaas (Oct 18, 2006 10:45:52 AM)
My pleasure

Linda Abraham (Oct 18, 2006 10:46:03 AM)
Please check the Web site for details and exact time, because we are varying our chat times this year to facilitate attendance from applicants in different time zones.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room