2009 Consortium MBA Career Chat with Jackie Olden

2009 Consortium MBA Career Chat with Jackie Olden

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Nov 19, 2008 7:01:21 PM)
First I want to welcome all applicants to the Consortium chat today. You need to know as much as you can to make a sound application decision and gain acceptance to the school of your choice. Being here today allows you to ask the Consortium experts and about this outstanding program and how it relates to their business schools.

I also want to welcome our special guests for this evening. 
  • Jackie M. Olden, Director of Recruiting-Consortium for Graduate Study in Management
  • Ken Simpson, Recruiting Coordinator-Consortium for Graduate Study in Management
  • Ken Keeley, Executive Director Career Opportunities Center-Carnegie Mellon- Tepper
  • Jacqueline Thomas-Bell, Associate Director of Admissions/Director of the Early Leaders Program- University of Rochester- Simon
  • Missy Bailey, Senior Associate Director, Fred V. Keenan MBA Career Resource Center- University of Southern California, Marshall
  • Josue Portillo, Career Services/Admissions Representative- New York University
  • Jennifer Brooks, Senior Associate Director-University of North Carolina-Kenan Flagler Business School
  • Wendy B. Dukes, Associate Director-MBA Career Management Center- University of North Carolina-Kenan Flagler Business School
  • Erin L.C. Nickelsburg, Director, Admissions and Recruitment-Wisconsin School of Business
  • Kristin Irish, Deputy Director of the Career Development Office- Yale School of Management
  • L. Christopher Grey, Associate Director of Admissions & Student Services- Yale School of Management
Thanks to everyone for joining.
This is your chance to ask questions about the Consortium and career management and opportunity at the schools listed above.

Alicia (Nov 19, 2008 7:08:50 PM)
Jackie: Can you discuss the advantages and possible disadvantages of applying through the Consortium versus applying to the schools directly?

MC (Nov 19, 2008 7:08:55 PM)
In a broad sense, how does the financial assistance through the Consortium work? Are all the school expenses paid for? Is there a stipend?

MBA09 (Nov 19, 2008 7:09:06 PM)
Does the Consortium only submit applications to the schools in two waves following 11/15 & 1/5, or are applications submitted on somewhat of a rolling basis?

mba_hopeful (Nov 19, 2008 7:09:34 PM)
Question to Consortium: What is the absolute final cut-off date for GMAT score reporting? On the website, it states December 20. However, 2nd round Consortium applications are due on January 5. If someone takes the GMAT on a date between December 20 and January 5, can they still report this score (especially if official score report has been received)?

DD (Nov 19, 2008 7:09:44 PM)
Regarding the application process, do we have to write the 3-4 essays that each school requires for their applications (in addition to the 3 that the Consortium application requires)?

freezing (Nov 19, 2008 7:09:53 PM)
Hi, I have a question regarding work experience and post-MBA job search. I'm currently considering applying with 2 years of work experience by the time of matriculation. I'd like to know what the experience of past MBA students at your schools with 2 years or less of work experience was when looking for a job after the MBA. Is it a disadvantage? Thanks!

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 19, 2008 7:10:03 PM)
Hi MC-- the Consortium fellowship covers your tuition.

mimi (Nov 19, 2008 7:10:12 PM)
USC (applies to other B-schools as well): If I would like to apply to the international business program (IBEAR), on the website it states to apply to USC-Marshall and then apply to IBEAR. How would I apply to the international business program, if my application is being submitted through the Consortium?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Nov 19, 2008 7:10:23 PM)
Alicia-the main advantages are the opportunity to compete for a fellowship, apply to 6 schools using one application and The Consortium network.

mba_hopeful (Nov 19, 2008 7:11:05 PM)
Question #2 for Consortium: Can someone please discuss the recommended interview sign-up timeline for Round 2 applicants? Should we have already done this? If not, what is the final deadline? On the website it states December 15 as the deadline, but I believe this is the deadline to actually interview, rather than sign up.

ChristopherGreyYALE (Nov 19, 2008 7:11:30 PM)
MBA09 - The Consortium deadlines to submit applications are 11/15 and 1/5. Applications are disseminated to the member schools after those deadlines as they complete and are processed.

ErinNickelsburgWISCONSIN (Nov 19, 2008 7:11:47 PM)
Freezing - at the Wisconsin School of Business we find that the best placement comes for those with 3-7 years of work experience. 2 years is on the low end for any program and, in my opinion, it would be beneficial for you to get another year or two under your belt, depending on the work experience you have had thus far.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Nov 19, 2008 7:11:49 PM)
Mba_hopeful the deadlines are posted on our webpage.

MC (Nov 19, 2008 7:11:50 PM)
How important is to visit the schools you are interested in attending?

MC (Nov 19, 2008 7:11:59 PM)
Thanks Jacqueline. Am I correct in saying the Consortium will not cover any living expenses?

KenSimpsonCONSORTIUM (Nov 19, 2008 7:12:26 PM)
Mba_hopeful, if you take the GMAT after the December 20th deadline, be sure to fax us your unofficial score report and ask Pearson's to submit your official score report as well. That way we will know to look out for your official score report. Mainly you want to make sure you take it in time for the schools to consider the score before they make their final decisions.

ALnyc (Nov 19, 2008 7:12:27 PM)
Is there any minimum score for the TOEFL through the Consortium?

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 19, 2008 7:12:33 PM)
MC- Yes, you are correct. CGSM only covers tuition costs.

MissyBaileyMARSHALL (Nov 19, 2008 7:12:33 PM)
Mimi - Unfortunately, I'll have to get back to you on that. I will say, however, that the IBEAR program timing (August 1 - July 31) is tough on a career search since you are effectively a 2nd year MBA the moment you get here and start recruiting immediately.

JosuePortilloNYU (Nov 19, 2008 7:12:34 PM)
DD- You do not have to write the essays that each school requires in its individual application. You have to write the Consortium essays, and then the school specific essay on the Consortium application.

Leanna Pearson (Nov 19, 2008 7:12:54 PM)
In regards to the Consortium fellowship, I understand the focus is on MBA programs, but are students that are interested in duel degree programs with an MBA and another area able to apply?

Linda Abraham (Nov 19, 2008 7:13:28 PM)
What are the most active sectors hiring MBAs at each of your schools?

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 19, 2008 7:13:57 PM)
MC- yes, I would encourage you to try and visit the schools that you are interested in attending, it can be a very valuable experience and can give you a sense of "fit" that you may not be able to get otherwise.

JenniferBrooksUNC (Nov 19, 2008 7:15:08 PM)
Linda, at UNC, we still see active recruiting in marketing, industrials, and consulting. The bar has been raised, however, and only the most prepared candidates are seeing success through on-campus recruiting. The financial sector has been hit hard, as everyone knows.

KristinIrishYALE (Nov 19, 2008 7:15:33 PM)
At Yale SOM we are seeing more active recruiting in the CPG (consumer packaged goods) sector in several functions--finance, marketing, strategy & business development.

ErinNickelsburgWISCONSIN (Nov 19, 2008 7:15:38 PM)
At the Wisconsin School of Business, with our specialization focus, we have found that the majority of our specializations are still very active. Given the current economic situation, most finance positions have become incredibly competitive.

MissyBaileyMARSHALL (Nov 19, 2008 7:15:40 PM)
Linda - we haven't seen the drop off yet in entertainment, marketing or company finance jobs. Rotational management programs are also still strong. Banking, the buy-side and real estate have taken the obvious hits.

JosuePortilloNYU (Nov 19, 2008 7:15:48 PM)
The more traditional career paths with very structured recruiting programs tend to be investment banking, sales and trading, marketing, consulting, and CPG.

Alicia (Nov 19, 2008 7:15:51 PM)
For USC and NYU, is there any disadvantage at all in applying through the Consortium, or are applications evaluated the same as they would in an individual application?

ChristopherGreyYALE (Nov 19, 2008 7:16:00 PM)
Leanna - You may want to inquire with the member schools in which you are interested. Generally speaking, you are able to apply as a dual-degree student through the Consortium. The Consortium fellowship will only cover your tuition that applies to the MBA program and not the other area in which you intend to study.

MC (Nov 19, 2008 7:16:02 PM)
What is required from the Consortium Post-MBA to remain in the active network and participate in various events? Are there specific things that are expected of a Consortium participant?

Leanna Pearson (Nov 19, 2008 7:16:48 PM)
Chris-Thank You!

JosuePortilloNYU (Nov 19, 2008 7:16:55 PM)
Alicia, there are no disadvantages at all. All candidates are considered equally. The benefit of the Consortium is the fellowship and the network.

MissyBaileyMARSHALL (Nov 19, 2008 7:16:57 PM)
Alicia - Absolutely no disadvantage applying through the Consortium!

ADRIAN (Nov 19, 2008 7:17:03 PM)
I am interested in the PMBA (part-time) MBA at Washington U. Can the Consortium help in tuition assistance?

Andy (Nov 19, 2008 7:17:10 PM)
How does the Consortium look at someone with a low GPA and high GMAT?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Nov 19, 2008 7:17:41 PM)
MC - we are interested in seeing our alumni continue to support the mission of our organization. This includes recommending people to the program, attending recruiting events as a Consortium rep or school rep, giving back to the organization financially and with your time!

Linda Abraham (Nov 19, 2008 7:17:54 PM)
Is now a good or bad time to go for an MBA?

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 19, 2008 7:18:01 PM)
Adrian-- In order to be considered for the Consortium you would have to be considering full time study.

ErinNickelsburgWISCONSIN (Nov 19, 2008 7:19:03 PM)
Now is the best time to go for an MBA. The opportunity cost of attending right now is lower, simply because your earning potential is lower. If you do not take advantage of this time, many others will. This will leave you at an even bigger disadvantage when the economy turns around. Invest in yourself now so that you can get a bigger return later.

MissyBaileyMARSHALL (Nov 19, 2008 7:19:47 PM)
Linda - As in life, the answer is "it depends". If you have a stable job with good prospects, it's a little scary to leave that. If instead, you've lost your job and/or are not satisfied with your prospects, it can be a great time to pursue an MBA.

ADRIAN (Nov 19, 2008 7:20:19 PM)
Oh! That's disheartening! Is 6 hrs for an MBA Program considered full time? If not, what options do I have since I work full time?

ChristopherGreyYALE (Nov 19, 2008 7:20:35 PM)
Andy - The Consortium does not make admissions decisions. They are a clearinghouse for applications. The member schools would make the admissions decisions. Regarding a low GPA and high GMAT, you may consider taking classes that would alleviate any concerns by member schools of your ability to perform successfully in the classroom. Also, you may consider using the optional essay to explain any unusual circumstances that may have contributed to you obtaining a low GPA.

JosuePortilloNYU (Nov 19, 2008 7:20:53 PM)
Andy- We look at the application as a whole and not on individual portions. The most important thing to remember in the application process is to communicate as effectively as possible how an MBA makes sense for you in terms of logical career progression and goals, and how you have demonstrated that you are committed to those goals.

DD (Nov 19, 2008 7:20:55 PM)
Thank you, Josue. Since you do not have to write each school's essays, is there any disadvantage to only writing the Consortium required essays? In other words, do the admissions teams from the individual schools prefer that students not apply through the Consortium, and answer the specific questions that they outlined in their essays? Will it at all affect your chances of getting admitted?

JenniferBrooksUNC (Nov 19, 2008 7:21:05 PM)
Linda, now is a great time to get your MBA, provided that you come back with a purpose and not just to "hide out" till the economy recovers. Students with career goals and a logical, well-thought-out reason for an MBA ALWAYS do better in business school and the job search, good times and bad.

Alicia (Nov 19, 2008 7:21:14 PM)
I am of mixed heritage, and am wondering if you consider certain percentages of a particular ethnicity for fitting in with the Consortium's primary diverse communities.

JosuePortilloNYU (Nov 19, 2008 7:22:20 PM)
DD, by no means does our admissions team prefer that you do not apply through the Consortium. On the contrary, if you are committed to the mission of the Consortium, it is only beneficial to apply through the Consortium.

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 19, 2008 7:22:28 PM)
Adrian-- there are often many other ways to seek assistance depending on the school and including taking loans-- these are usually available if you are maintaining a certain amount of credit hours.

Linda Abraham (Nov 19, 2008 7:22:33 PM)
Jackie, how does the Consortium help members in the job search process?

KristinIrishYALE (Nov 19, 2008 7:22:35 PM)
Linda-it is a great time to get your MBA, take a step back and perhaps think about what the next step for you will be. And agreed, have a reason for coming back--the paths may be different when you come out in two years!

Andy (Nov 19, 2008 7:22:58 PM)
Will passing the CFA exam supersede any low GPA in my previous course works?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Nov 19, 2008 7:23:01 PM)
Alicia - your ethnicity is not a concern when applying to the Consortium. Rather what you are currently doing to demonstrate your commitment to enabling Blacks, Hispanics and Native Americans to go into higher education and business.

Linda Abraham (Nov 19, 2008 7:23:24 PM)
What should the applicant who isn’t sure about his or her post-MBA goals do?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Nov 19, 2008 7:23:35 PM)
Alicia - if you can demonstrate a commitment, you can apply to business school through the CGSM.

JosuePortilloNYU (Nov 19, 2008 7:23:49 PM)
Andy--Passing the CFA would be an excellent indicator of your commitment to your education as well as your ability to successfully handle the MBA curriculum.

ChristopherGreyYALE (Nov 19, 2008 7:24:43 PM)
Andy - the GPA is just one of many factors. Your application is viewed as a whole and not as individual components.

MissyBaileyMARSHALL (Nov 19, 2008 7:24:53 PM)
Andy, The CFA is a great credential but will only supersede a low GPA if you pursue traditional buy-side jobs. Banks, unfortunately, may not be as forgiving.

ksimm1 (Nov 19, 2008 7:24:57 PM)
Christopher or Kristin: Has Yale received feedback from employers or graduates on how the new, integrated curriculum is preparing them for management positions? If so, please elaborate. Thanks.

MC (Nov 19, 2008 7:25:23 PM)
Are Consortium members guaranteed or given advantages for internships? I.e. Does the Consortium's large network provide internships for the members?

mimi (Nov 19, 2008 7:25:47 PM)
Since the application pool for 2009 is competitive, what can an applicant do to make them stand out from everyone else?

ErinNickelsburgWISCONSIN (Nov 19, 2008 7:25:54 PM)
Linda, in regards to post-MBA goals, depending on the schools to which you are applying, it can be essential that you know what you want to do and where you want to go. Other schools provide services that can really help you to flesh out your plans. One of the tools I suggest is the book "What Color is Your Parachute?". It provides some fantastic tactics that will help you narrow the field. Also, it never hurts to have continuous conversations with those you know and trust to get feedback on your goals.

Leanna Pearson (Nov 19, 2008 7:25:59 PM)
How would someone with a non-traditional major who is certain they want a business degree sell themselves to an MBA admissions officer?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Nov 19, 2008 7:26:13 PM)
Linda - The Consortium hosts a career forum at the annual orientation program. The corporations and partners in attendance are committed to diversity and looking to hire Consortium candidates for career and internships.

A5500 (Nov 19, 2008 7:26:18 PM)
Since Yale just joined the Consortium this year, what process will Yale follow for applications received for the November 15th round?

jake (Nov 19, 2008 7:26:33 PM)
If you are accepted into the Consortium but do not end up attending a Consortium school, is there still opportunity to be involved with the program and its effort?

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 19, 2008 7:26:37 PM)
Leanna-That is a very good question that many applicants ask.

KristinIrishYALE (Nov 19, 2008 7:27:04 PM)
Ksimm1--the class of 2008 was the first class to complete the new curriculum, and feedback has been positive, in particular, with consulting and Leadership Development Programs. The students as well, feel better prepared for their careers--and interviews!

ErinNickelsburgWISCONSIN (Nov 19, 2008 7:27:28 PM)
Mimi - Show us your passion and personality. Use those essays to shine. We get a lot of "I want to get an MBA because.....". Tell us why, but also who you are, what your goals are, where you want to end up and how you think a program can help you get there.

JosuePortilloNYU (Nov 19, 2008 7:27:33 PM)
MC--The Consortium does not "guarantee" internships, but the network and the additional interaction with current students and alumni provide another "touch point" for you to get your story across to employers. The more exposure you get to employers, the better your chances will be of succeeding in the recruiting process.

freezing (Nov 19, 2008 7:27:50 PM)
I have a German undergrad degree. How do the member schools look at foreign GPAs? Do you use a specific conversion table? Are foreign GPAs given more/less consideration than U.S. GPAs?

MC (Nov 19, 2008 7:27:55 PM)
Does the Consortium offer mentors during the two years of MBA and after?

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 19, 2008 7:27:56 PM)
Leanna- think about your experiences and how you can best demonstrate "transferable skills"-- project management, presentation skills, organization, analytical abilities, etc.

jjjj (Nov 19, 2008 7:28:14 PM)
For Yale SOM, what is the best way to overcome a low GMAT other than re-taking the exam? I know the average GMAT score increased for the class of 2010. How do I prove that the low GMAT does not predict my ability to perform at SOM?

Andy (Nov 19, 2008 7:29:05 PM)
Jackie-What are some of the things I can do that reflects my commitment to the Consortium mission. I'm trying to volunteer at the Jackie Robinson Foundations.

ChristopherGreyYALE (Nov 19, 2008 7:29:05 PM)
A5500 - 11/15 applications will be reviewed among our Round 2 apps. If we can read them earlier and make decisions, we do intend to send out decisions earlier. Currently, we expect to have all Consortium decisions out by the end of February.

Irfan Kassam (Nov 19, 2008 7:30:30 PM)
Can you qualify if you have NOT demonstrated past/current activities to enable Blacks, Hispanics, and Native Americans, but you are a U.S. Citizen and have worked to enable other minority segments, and also intend on working for the Consortium mission to help Blacks, Hispanics, and Native Americans post-MBA?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Nov 19, 2008 7:30:36 PM)
Jake - We do not have a structure program in place yet. Some of the things we suggest are attending our information sessions to stay current with what we are doing. You may also recommend candidates to apply to the Consortium.

MissyBaileyMARSHALL (Nov 19, 2008 7:30:37 PM)
Freezing - Bei uns, ist dass egal! We'll find a way to ensure your GPA is accurately "translated" and considered on equal footing with US GPA's...not to worry.

JosuePortilloNYU (Nov 19, 2008 7:30:49 PM)
MC-- There are no "official" mentors at Stern, but throughout your time here you will develop close bonds with your classmates and alumni. The second year students, in particular, often act as mentors to the first year students and help guide them through the first year and beyond.

jake (Nov 19, 2008 7:31:24 PM)
Are all applications submitted on 11/15 considered for the second round or just at Yale?

JosuePortilloNYU (Nov 19, 2008 7:32:08 PM)
As far as mentorship goes, there are also career coaches and teaching fellows that offer career and academic guidance.

Linda Abraham (Nov 19, 2008 7:32:11 PM)
What should the applicant who isn’t sure about his or her post-MBA goals do?

ErinNickelsburgWISCONSIN (Nov 19, 2008 7:32:23 PM)
Jake - The Wisconsin School of Business looks at apps on a rolling deadline but cannot guarantee an answer before the second round dates.

Linda Abraham (Nov 19, 2008 7:32:30 PM)
How could a low GMAT affect a post-MBA job search?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Nov 19, 2008 7:32:58 PM)
MC - the Consortium does not offer mentors. The member schools are very supportive as well as Consortium students.

ChristopherGreyYALE (Nov 19, 2008 7:33:51 PM)
Jjj - Depending on the section of the GMAT that you may consider to be low, there are a couple of items that can be done if you choose not to retake the exam. If the verbal is low, you should ensure your essays are almost flawless. If your quant scores are low, you may consider taking quant classes. Nonetheless, these are not perfect substitutes for retaking a standardized test, which is the only standardization schools have across the entire applicant pool.

JenniferBrooksUNC (Nov 19, 2008 7:34:06 PM)
Linda, a low GMAT will hurt in some sectors-- strategy consulting, maybe I-banking, but it is not the end of the world, even in those two areas. It is something students will have to answer to, and be comfortable with before a recruiter gets the resume.

Linda Abraham (Nov 19, 2008 7:34:34 PM)
Should the applicant who had previously been interested in investment banking or M&A change course? Give up his or her dream?

A5500 (Nov 19, 2008 7:34:52 PM)
Christopher Grey & Kristin Irish: What are your thoughts about Yale's recent BW rankings and how will it affect Consortium applicants?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Nov 19, 2008 7:35:03 PM)
Irfam - you must demonstrate a commitment to Blacks, Hispanics, and Natives in order to qualify for membership.

vlove29 (Nov 19, 2008 7:35:43 PM)
I would like additional clarification on the required interviews. Do we have to interview with each school we are applying to in addition to a Consortium alumnus? For an example - if I am applying to 3 schools, Would I need to schedule an interview with each school in addition to the Consortium alumnus, for a total of 4 interviews?

JosuePortilloNYU (Nov 19, 2008 7:36:16 PM)
Linda, a candidate who is unsure about post-MBA goals should do as much research as possible in order to find a broad sense of what he or she might be interested in. The best way to do that would be to reach out to current students and ask about their experiences throughout the recruiting process to see if they find an area that may be of interest.

freezing (Nov 19, 2008 7:36:37 PM)
Missy, thanks for the information. Is there a specific conversion table you (or any of the other schools) use to convert grades? I was searching online and found the WES tables, but they seem very optimistic to me.

jjjj (Nov 19, 2008 7:36:53 PM)
Christopher Grey: Does AWA have any weight for a low verbal?

JosuePortilloNYU (Nov 19, 2008 7:37:34 PM)
Vlove29--You do not need to schedule an additional interview. 1 Consortium interview meets the requirement for the application. After that, NYU may invite you back for a second interview, but that comes later in the selection process.

MissyBaileyMARSHALL (Nov 19, 2008 7:37:41 PM)
Linda -I cover banking in our career center and was a banker prior to my current position. One of the reasons for coming back to school is to achieve that "dream job". If it's banking, I wouldn't give up but I'd have a Plan A- and a Plan B+, not just a "fallback plan"!

ChristopherGreyYALE (Nov 19, 2008 7:38:04 PM)
Jjjj - Yes, your AWA score is taken in consideration as well. We also can review the essays that were written as a part of our evaluation of the entire application.

cgm (Nov 19, 2008 7:38:21 PM)
What happens if we have a 2nd Consortium Interview (from a different school)?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Nov 19, 2008 7:38:26 PM)
Vlove29 - you are required to complete one Consortium interview. Some of the schools my contact you for an additional interview. The best thing to do is contact the schools ranked on your application to see if there are additional school requirements. Again, there is only one interview required for the Consortium application.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Nov 19, 2008 7:38:48 PM)
Cgm - only one can be entered into the system and serve as your Consortium interview. 

mimi (Nov 19, 2008 7:39:08 PM)
If my short-term and long term career goals are directly influenced by my mission essay (how I am committed to Blacks, Hispanics and Natives), can I write one essay for both?

KristinIrishYALE (Nov 19, 2008 7:39:28 PM)
A5500, I don't think it should affect applicants. The program is still excellent, and we have not seen or heard any reaction from recruiters. The A+ ranking for SOM's teaching is a testament to the program and how students feel about the school, the program, and the community. If SOM's culture and community is one that fits the applicant, the ranking shouldn't hold a lot of weight.

ALnyc (Nov 19, 2008 7:39:39 PM)
Can some one get back to me about the TOEFL question? Is there a minimum score? Thanks!

MC (Nov 19, 2008 7:39:48 PM)
How many applicants apply to the Consortium in a given year and what percentage are accepted?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Nov 19, 2008 7:40:33 PM)
MC - Approximately 800 applications are received annually.

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 19, 2008 7:40:57 PM)
ALnyc-- all admissions decisions are made by the individual schools so you will want to check with each school that you are applying to regarding minimum TOEFL requirements.

cgm (Nov 19, 2008 7:41:05 PM)
If a 2nd Consortium interview is completed, will the interview notes be included to your file/application?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Nov 19, 2008 7:41:17 PM)
MC - 71% of the admitted applicants receive the fellowship.

ChristopherGreyYALE (Nov 19, 2008 7:42:00 PM)
Mimi - you should consider having 2 separate essays. Many other applicants will have 2 separate essays and only having one essay can make you less competitive in the pool. You might consider seeing how you can separate the topic into the 2 essays.

jjjj (Nov 19, 2008 7:42:39 PM)
Do any schools have a Consortium quota regarding acceptances?

KenSimpsonCONSORTIUM (Nov 19, 2008 7:42:46 PM)
MC- Last year there were over 400 admits and 300 fellowship offers.

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 19, 2008 7:43:33 PM)
Jjjj- at Simon we do not have a specified limit.

A5500 (Nov 19, 2008 7:43:49 PM)
Christopher Grey and Kristin Irish: Yale has created great diversity initiatives with the Consortium partnership and the Pre-Leadership Program. How will Yale be able to increase its number of under-represented minorities if the class size will be kept to approximately 200 per year (before the new campus)?

JosuePortilloNYU (Nov 19, 2008 7:43:49 PM)
We do not have a quota.

MissyBaileyMARSHALL (Nov 19, 2008 7:43:54 PM)
Jjjj - no quota at Marshall.

ADRIAN (Nov 19, 2008 7:44:00 PM)
If an applicant failed to complete their MBA, what, if any, are the consequences?

ChristopherGreyYALE (Nov 19, 2008 7:44:41 PM)
CGM - once an interview report has been submitted, another cannot be entered into the Consortium's system on your behalf or added to your Consortium application.

Linda Abraham (Nov 19, 2008 7:44:53 PM)
Are more applicants applying through the Consortium this year than in previous years?

ChristopherGreyYALE (Nov 19, 2008 7:44:55 PM)
Jjjj - there are no quotas at Yale.

MC (Nov 19, 2008 7:45:11 PM)
Can you apply to the Consortium multiple times?

KenSimpsonCONSORTIUM (Nov 19, 2008 7:46:05 PM)
MC: yes you can re-apply to the Consortium multiple times.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Nov 19, 2008 7:46:50 PM)
Andy - we are looking at your past commitment not necessarily future. Some of the things other candidates have done includes, mentoring at community centers that service Blacks, Hispanics and Natives, big brothers/sisters program and your little is Black, Hispanic or Native American or working on a diversity team on your job that directly ties into our mission.

Linda Abraham (Nov 19, 2008 7:46:58 PM)
Are the banks pulling back on hiring as a result of the credit crunch and sub-prime problems?

mimi (Nov 19, 2008 7:47:33 PM)
Should resumes for MBA admission be written as a list of accomplishments? How about when your accomplishments aren't typical, for example, I was promoted and received more responsibilities in my department because I was able to work with different/difficult people, soothe tensions between various teams and build relationships, something that most people in my position were not able to do.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Nov 19, 2008 7:47:38 PM)
Linda - our numbers are up slightly.

Linda Abraham (Nov 19, 2008 7:47:47 PM)
Thanks Jackie.

cgm (Nov 19, 2008 7:47:58 PM)
If you have already submitted for the Round 1 Consortium deadline, can you add more schools for Round 2?

MissyBaileyMARSHALL (Nov 19, 2008 7:48:39 PM)
Linda - Banks will hire interns for the next 2 years to keep a pipeline of talent available. My contacts say numbers are down perhaps no more than 10-15% at many banks. However, full-time recruiting, at least this year and next, will be difficult.

JosuePortilloNYU (Nov 19, 2008 7:48:48 PM)
All of the major banks are still coming to recruit on campus. However, the general mood is that it is tougher and more competitive than in previous years to get an internship. The standard has definitely risen due to the contraction in the markets and labor force on Wall Street.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Nov 19, 2008 7:48:57 PM)
CGM - you can not change your ranking after you hit the submit button.

JenniferBrooksUNC (Nov 19, 2008 7:49:26 PM)
Linda-- at UNC, we did see a slow-down in terms of recruiting second-years for the banks, but so far, not too much, if any for the intern class. One thing to note, though, is that the banks have honored their FT offers to the second years who interned with them last summer.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Nov 19, 2008 7:50:00 PM)
CGM - Research all schools prior to completing the application.

jjjj (Nov 19, 2008 7:50:23 PM)
What is the purpose of the ranking system?

ChristopherGreyYALE (Nov 19, 2008 7:50:23 PM)
A5500 - We accept more students than we expect to comprise the first year class. Seeming as there are no quotas on the number of under-represented minorities that make up that class, there is plenty of room for us to increase those numbers. Part of this equation also deals with increasing the number of under-represented minorities that apply. With the Consortium and also the pre-MBA leadership program, we hope that this pipeline will increase significantly giving us more qualified applicants from which to choose.

ChristopherGreyYALE (Nov 19, 2008 7:51:30 PM)
Jjjj - the ranking system is used to determine the order in which member schools offer fellowships.

Andy (Nov 19, 2008 7:51:35 PM)
NYU-You rank very high in finance on BW-Can you please elaborate?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Nov 19, 2008 7:52:00 PM)
Jjjj - we ask you to rank the school based on your preference. What schools are you interested in attending? Those are the schools you should rank on your application.

vlove29 (Nov 19, 2008 7:52:22 PM)
Do you see the applications being more competitive for all specializations, or more so for applicants interested in finance/investment banking etc?

A5500 (Nov 19, 2008 7:52:44 PM)
Christopher Grey & Kristin Irish: Thank you for your answers. Have you noticed an increase in interest (Explore Diversity, Admissions Reception, etc.) by under-represented minorities since joining the Consortium? What happens if a Consortium applicant is placed on the waitlist?

ErinNickelsburgWISCONSIN (Nov 19, 2008 7:53:00 PM)
Vlove - we have seen a rise in the competitiveness of all our specializations.

JosuePortilloNYU (Nov 19, 2008 7:53:07 PM)
Andy- Can you be a little bit more specific on your question?

vlove29 (Nov 19, 2008 7:54:17 PM)
NYU - following up with Andy's question: with NYU ranking very high in finance, how would your program benefit someone like me who is interested in Manufacturing/Operations Management?

JosuePortilloNYU (Nov 19, 2008 7:55:48 PM)
NYU Stern has a very competitive program overall (not just in finance) and we offer many courses with top professors in Manufacturing/Operations. One of the benefits of Stern is that the faculty continues to be active in business ventures that compliment their professional studies, and that is especially true in Operations.

ChristopherGreyYALE (Nov 19, 2008 7:55:56 PM)
A5500 - We have seen an increase in inquiries about Yale as well as attendance at our programs. If a Consortium applicant is placed on the waitlist at Yale, then the other schools ranked after Yale could offer you a fellowship. If we decided to take you off the waitlist, you obviously will not be able to be offered a Consortium fellowship since the fellowship selection meeting would have passed.

mimi (Nov 19, 2008 7:56:05 PM)
What type of accomplishments do you look for in a resume?

marc2 (Nov 19, 2008 7:56:09 PM)
How will the current economic climate impact Consortium funding in the near future?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Nov 19, 2008 7:56:48 PM)
marc2 - the Consortium will continue to offer fellowships as long as there is a need and the funding is available. As far as we can see fellowships will not decrease this cycle.

ChristopherGreyYALE (Nov 19, 2008 7:56:50 PM)
Mimi - the resume gives us an opportunity to see your professional experiences, increase in work responsibilities and roles as well as quantifiable contributions and accomplishments.

Linda Abraham (Nov 19, 2008 7:57:37 PM)
Thank you again all for participating this evening. Special thanks to all the Consortium representatives here this evening.

We look forward to seeing you at future chats. Here is a list of currently scheduled chats:

MIT Sloan         November 24th
CMU Tepper     December 4th
LBS                 December 8th
NYU Stern        December 15th
USC Marshall   January 7th

If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list.

Please check the Web site for additional details.

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 19, 2008 7:57:49 PM)
Best of luck to you all-- we hope that you will continue to consider applying to b-school via the Consortium!

MC (Nov 19, 2008 7:58:01 PM)
Thanks to everyone for answering questions. Very helpful!

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Nov 19, 2008 7:58:02 PM)
Thank you for joining us on this chat!

Andy (Nov 19, 2008 7:58:16 PM)
TY!

A5500 (Nov 19, 2008 7:58:23 PM)
Thank you for your assistance.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Nov 19, 2008 8:00:18 PM)
Good night all!

ChristopherGreyYALE (Nov 19, 2008 8:00:25 PM)
Good night everyone and good luck!

Linda Abraham (Nov 19, 2008 8:00:25 PM)
Good night.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room