2010 UC Berkeley Haas MBA Admissions Q&A with Peter Johnson

2010 UC Berkeley Haas MBA Admissions Q&A with Peter Johnson

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Jan 11, 2010 12:00:00 PM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat. First I want to welcome all applicants to the chat today, and I want to congratulate you for taking the time to learn more about Berkeley’s Haas School of Business. It is critical to your decision making process and your admission chances that you know as much as you can about the schools you are applying to. Being here today allows you to ask experts about this top business school.

I also want to give a special welcome to Peter Johnson, Director of MBA Admissions and Cindy Jennings Millette, Associate Director of Admissions at the Haas School of Business.
Thanks to everyone for joining.

Linda Abraham (Jan 11, 2010 12:00:19 PM)
Peter: What’s new at Haas?

Anand (Jan 11, 2010 12:00:32 PM)
Morning Cindy. Are the R1 invites done or can we expect more invites to come, especially for international students?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:00:43 PM)
There have been a lot of new developments, Linda! This fall, we launched the new Berkeley Energy Institute at Haas, one of our economics professor won the Nobel Prize, and we brought 6 of 8 new faculty members on board (the remaining two begin this spring). It's been a busy academic year!

CindyJenningsMilletteHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:01:05 PM)
Anand: As we note on the application materials, we may invite candidates to interview as late as the week of January 25th, and I expect there will be a few more invitations. Additionally, any applicant who is offered a place on the waitlist will be invited to interview at that time.

KCB (Jan 11, 2010 12:01:29 PM)
Cindy: Thanks so much for taking time to chat today. Because the interview is a blind review, should we feel free to discuss events or situations that we've mentioned in our application, such as our essays?

CindyJenningsMilletteHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:02:09 PM)
KCB: Of course! Since the interviewer has not reviewed your essays, you can feel free to bring up all of these events/situations.

Linda Abraham (Jan 11, 2010 12:02:15 PM)
You have been busy! Could you tell us what opportunities the Energy Institute provides MBA students?

Arkitect (Jan 11, 2010 12:03:22 PM)
Cindy: If there are significant changes in profile after submitting the application, is it appropriate to inform the AdCom about this? If so, how?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:04:34 PM)
Linda, energy studies (from energy economics to new technologies) are a popular topic at Berkeley, and the institute brings together a variety of institution-wide initiatives under one center. For MBA students, these include initiatives like "Clean Tech to Market", through which Berkeley MBA students advise scientists at the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab about the market potential of new clean energy technologies, to the Energy Economics program.

CindyJenningsMilletteHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:05:02 PM)
Arkitect: If there are "significant "changes, you may send us an email. We can't guarantee that anything submitted after the deadline will be included in your application file, since it is possible that your file has already been reviewed.

Linda Abraham (Jan 11, 2010 12:05:03 PM)
Thanks Peter.

Hogan (Jan 11, 2010 12:05:08 PM)
Hi Peter, I was hoping you could address a rumor that has been going around the message boards: Does Haas need to write a special letter to UC Regents in order to accept an applicant with a GPA lower than 3.0?

rajaseav (Jan 11, 2010 12:05:29 PM)
Cindy, thanks a lot for taking your time to talk to us. I am interested in operations and supply chain. Could you tell us about the operations & supply chain at Haas?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:06:33 PM)
Hogan, that rumor is partially true. The process you mentioned is a standard requirement for all UC Berkeley graduate programs. The MBA program actually has special authority to recommend admission without that approval. It's important to note, however, that we very rarely offer admission to a candidate whose US undergraduate GPA is below 3.0.

fabpovoa_brazil (Jan 11, 2010 12:06:57 PM)
Peter, does Haas provide full-tuition loans for international students? What other options do international applicants have if they fail to find a co-signer?

CindyJenningsMilletteHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:06:58 PM)
Rajaseav: That's a very specific question! We do have electives that focus on supply chain and operations. More details can be found on our Curriculum- Elective Course page. You also might want to send an email to our Haas Student Ambassador (HSA) team to see if you can chat with a student focused in this area (supply chain/ops). You can send them an email as well.

Anand (Jan 11, 2010 12:07:08 PM)
Thanks Cindy. How do you see the applications this year? Are there more applications or less compared to last year? Last year there was a dip in international applications as well as admitted students; do you see the same this year?

fabpovoa_brazil (Jan 11, 2010 12:08:18 PM)
What do you wish you would have done before starting your MBA that would have made the beginning/transition easier? Did you do anything especially effective that helped you return to academia?

Linda Abraham (Jan 11, 2010 12:08:18 PM)
Neither Peter nor Cindy are current students, so I don't think they can answer this question.

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:08:38 PM)
Fabpovoa, at this time, we only provide international student loans without a co-signer for $20,000 per year. This is likely to change, as we are currently finalizing a contract with a lender that will enable us to provide full-tuition loans. We will notify all of our international applicants once the contract is signed.

fabpovoa_brazil (Jan 11, 2010 12:08:41 PM)
Peter, just great. Wish you LUCK in this negotiation!

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:08:54 PM)
Fab, thanks--it has gone fairly well, so I am very optimistic!

CindyJenningsMilletteHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:08:55 PM)
Anand: As of Round 2, applications are slightly down compared to Fall 2009. Since last year’s round 1 was the largest in five years, we anticipated this, but it’s too early to project what our final application number might be. We'll see!

MBA2010 (Jan 11, 2010 12:09:14 PM)
Cindy: Hi Thanks for answering our questions. I applied Round 2. When can we expect invites for interview to go out?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:09:39 PM)
Fab, as Linda noted, we can't provide an answer today. Our students are on their winter break, many of them traveling in other parts of the world, so we don't have any student chatters today.

Serg (Jan 11, 2010 12:09:50 PM)
Hi Peter! I'm going to apply in R3. Do you think I still have reliable chance to be admitted in comparison with those who applied in R1&R2?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:10:42 PM)
Serg, I am sure we will make many offers to R3 candidates. The only significant disadvantage is for candidates applying in Round 4.

CindyJenningsMilletteHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:10:47 PM)
MBA 2010: Usually we start sending interview invitations as early as one month after the deadline - and then all the way until the notification deadline. Note that interview invites are sent on a rolling basis - so don't worry if you don't hear from us in the early stage of invites!

serkan@istanbul (Jan 11, 2010 12:10:54 PM)
Hi Cindy, is it possible for an MBA student to pursue a healthcare specialization together with general management (i.e. finance, accounting etc...)?

KM80 (Jan 11, 2010 12:11:02 PM)
Peter: My background is in Environmental Engineering and I would like to focus on renewable energy or energy in general. Could you tell us about opportunities at Haas? Also, what firms hire in the energy sector when it comes to placement?

Linda Abraham (Jan 11, 2010 12:11:25 PM)
KM80's question goes right back to the Energy Institute you mentioned earlier.

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:12:47 PM)
KM80, that's a rather broad question for this format, but I would cite the Energy Institute and the Clean Tech to Market Programs as key opportunities. Companies that have hired recent graduates in energy related positions include renewable energy firms like SunPower and Bright Source, and more traditional energy firms including Chevron and BP.  For more info on the Energy institute, visit our Energy Institute at Haas page.

KM80 (Jan 11, 2010 12:13:18 PM)
Peter: On what you said regarding international loans, would they be any differences (favorable) for internationals living in the United States? Would the 20,000 USD still apply or could we qualify for a higher loan amount?

CindyJenningsMilletteHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:13:24 PM)
Serkan@istanbul: Yes. At Haas, you will be provided with a general management curriculum in your first year. The first year is made up of core classes -- so you'll certainly get general management. The second year is made up of electives - so you can focus in a certain area. We offer both a health management certificate (or specialization) and a joint degree (MBA/Masters in Public Health) with our School of Public Health.

Anand (Jan 11, 2010 12:13:30 PM)
Thanks again Cindy. Does Haas provide feedback on rejects? I hope I won't be rejected, but just in case I do, I wanted to know. Also how does Haas look at re-applicants?

CindyJenningsMilletteHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:14:39 PM)
Anand: We only provide feedback to those who were placed on the waitlist or who interviewed; and we only provide this feedback during the summer months (June, July, and August). We do look at re-applicants a bit differently than applicants - in that we're looking for significant change since the first time that you applied to the Berkeley MBA Program. Often applicants will wait a couple of years to reapply in order to devote some time to significantly strengthening their application.

Arkitect (Jan 11, 2010 12:14:50 PM)
Cindy: Have all interview invitations for Super Saturday been sent out?

Shipra Agarwalla (Jan 11, 2010 12:16:44 PM)
Cindy: If I am planning to start my business post MBA and want to specialize in entrepreneurship, what steps can I take to improve my resume for summer internship? I am not working right now and have time until September to do something constructive.

CindyJenningsMilletteHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:17:10 PM)
Arkitect: We anticipate sending additional interview invitations.

Linda Abraham (Jan 11, 2010 12:18:08 PM)
Cindy, do you provide feedback to rejected applicants or do you expect them to do their own self-assessment?

fabpovoa_brazil (Jan 11, 2010 12:18:39 PM)
Peter, I applied 1st round, after visiting campus. I was also invited to interview with an alumnus in Brazil and had a coffee chat with current Haas students in Brazil, last Saturday. I could notice the deep sense of collaboration and strong bonding between students (an important aspect for me). What are some other aspects that you think sets Haas apart?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:21:21 PM)
Fab, other key differentiators include our specific focus on developing leaders who understand how to create, manage, and lead organizations that innovate, and graduating professionals who are willing to question the status quo and have an interest in creating lasting value in organizations.

Serg (Jan 11, 2010 12:21:26 PM)
Peter, can you highlight whether the average GMAT score has been changed this year?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:22:21 PM)
Serg, not yet--since the average GMAT score is a reflection of admitted students, it's too early to know. Based on the applications we have reviewed so far, I expect that it will be similar to last year.

CindyJenningsMilletteHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:23:12 PM)
Shipra: Tough question. I think the answer would in part depend on your specific focus within entrepreneurship. I think learning more about this focus - by joining various groups or organizations is one thing that you can do. Perhaps working or volunteering at these types of organizations would be a good idea?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:23:14 PM)
Rajaseav, not really--it is up to the individual student. Every year we have students who earn more than one certificate--it just requires careful planning of your elective courses.

serkan@istanbul (Jan 11, 2010 12:23:35 PM)
Peter: Does admission committee accept a new GMAT score just right after the application deadline for an applicant who is not satisfied with his/her current GMAT score?

CindyJenningsMilletteHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:24:01 PM)
Linda: For your questions about providing feedback to rejected applicants - we do provide the feedback, we do not expect them to do their own self-assessment.

applicant_r1 (Jan 11, 2010 12:24:12 PM)
Cindy: Can applicants from the Bay Area expect to get invited to the Super Saturday, or are they usually considered for local alum interviews?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:24:28 PM)
Serkan, no--if a new GMAT score is taken after the application deadline, you would need to move your application to the following round for it to be considered. Otherwise, applications would be continually changing as the committee reviews them, which isn't feasible.

Linda Abraham (Jan 11, 2010 12:24:53 PM)
Peter & Cindy: When you are evaluating applications and the numbers are in the ballpark, what puts one applicant in the admit pile, and others in the rejected or waitlisted piles?

CindyJenningsMilletteHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:25:59 PM)
Applicant_r1: We first invite applicants from outside the Bay Area (U.S.) to Super Saturday so they have the opportunity to visit campus. But we also will invite some Bay Area applicants - depending on the space available.

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:25:59 PM)
Linda, there are a few things that may lead to that result: strength of professional experience, clarity of career goals, fit with our program, and understanding of why an MBA is the right step at this time, etc.

Linda Abraham (Jan 11, 2010 12:26:51 PM)
How can applicants demonstrate "fit with the program"?

fabpovoa_brazil (Jan 11, 2010 12:27:11 PM)
Cindy, how has the financial crisis impacted internship and job opportunities at Haas? How is the class of 2010 dealing with the downturn in hiring (if so)? Which actions has Haas taken to face such crises with regards to the student's job market insertion? Did you have any job offers canceled by recruiting companies?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:28:31 PM)
Linda, fit is demonstrated by showing that they understand what the program offers and have a plan for how they will leverage the Berkeley MBA experience to achieve their goals. If an applicants states that they want to work in private equity, I look for evidence that they know about the classes and activities we offer to help them achieve that goal.

Linda Abraham (Jan 11, 2010 12:28:48 PM)
Great. Thanks Pete.

Anand (Jan 11, 2010 12:28:59 PM)
Peter- Do you view multiple GMAT attempts negatively? If not, how many attempts do you consider as acceptable? For example, say some one who has four attempts, is he/she at a disadvantage?

CindyJenningsMilletteHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:30:41 PM)
Fabpovoa_brazil: Although we have seen the downturn, there are many things that the Career Center is doing to help students get those positions that are available. This is why we still have found that our students are getting full-time offers and summer internships! One way the career center prepares students is during the career management conference - a break in class after the student's first semester where they do mock interviewing, and resume review, etc. It also is a community effort with second year students involved as coaches, as well as alumni coming to campus to participate.

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:30:49 PM)
Anand, we don't necessarily view it negatively (the average is 3 times). If a candidate has taken it 5+ times, I would question the wisdom of doing so as well as the meaning of the results.

Shipra Agarwalla (Jan 11, 2010 12:31:04 PM)
Cindy, Thanks for your reply. Can you also suggest any groups or organizations for entrepreneurship focus that I can join? I am in Bay area.

KCB (Jan 11, 2010 12:31:17 PM)
Peter, can you talk a little about the faculty hiring initiatives that Rich Lyons has pioneered this year? Will this be expected to continue? Are there specific academic disciplines in which this hiring has been focused?

CindyJenningsMilletteHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:32:42 PM)
Shipra: I actually don't have any off-hand but you might want to consider consulting with the Entrepreneurship Club at Haas - They might have some ideas. You also might want to develop focus as to your business ideas - and join groups focused in this area.

fabpovoa_brazil (Jan 11, 2010 12:32:59 PM)
Cindy, thanks for your reply. It is really interesting to see that the School places an effort to help strengthen job opportunities through the Career Center.

joejohnson (Jan 11, 2010 12:35:46 PM)
Cindy: What's the most recent status of R1 Interviews?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:36:11 PM)
KCB, one of Dean Lyons' priorities is to continue to grow the size of the full-time, tenure-track faculty to offer additional depth in specific discipline areas. New faculty slots this year included a variety of discipline areas, including marketing, finance, accounting, and business and public policy. This is expected to continue, as funding allows. All of the new positions are endowed through Haas School funds rather than state-funded.

Linda Abraham (Jan 11, 2010 12:36:49 PM)
Peter, does Haas have any plans to privatize, an option that UCLA Anderson is exploring?

Shipra Agarwalla (Jan 11, 2010 12:37:02 PM)
Thanks a LOT Cindy!

CindyJenningsMilletteHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:37:07 PM)
Joejohnson: We are still in the process of reviewing R1 applicants, and still sending interview invites. We plan to send additional invites all the way until the notification deadline of Jan 27th.

Serg (Jan 11, 2010 12:37:13 PM)
Cindy, since I'm international applicant, I wanted to know if Haas is going to keep the same proportion US/International students as it did last year.

CindyJenningsMilletteHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:38:13 PM)
Serg: In general, we have between 30 - 40% international students in each class - and we don't expect that to change.

fabpovoa_brazil (Jan 11, 2010 12:38:23 PM)
Cindy, for personal reasons, I will be living in SFO from March 10th, regardless of being accepted at Haas. If I get accepted for 1st round (late January), will I be able to reach the school network and alumni to have informational chats and better prepare for the MBA experience?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:39:38 PM)
Linda, I am reluctant to use the word "privatize", as we are, and always will be, part of the University of California, with all that it implies in terms of a public mission. At the same time, we have been operating with a business model that relies less and less on state funding, to the extent that only a small percentage of our operating funds come from the state. This has enabled us to successfully weather financial crises like the one that the state of California is experiencing currently, which has caused significant hardships in many of the other academic departments in the UC system.

CindyJenningsMilletteHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:39:53 PM)
Fabpovoa_brazil: Admitted applicants to the program are able to reach out to current students and alumni to learn more about the MBA experience - before starting in August 2010.

caglar (Jan 11, 2010 12:40:07 PM)
Peter: Thanks for your time. What do you consider when it comes to GPA? Do you have clear ideas about the quality of Universities/Departments from foreign counties? Do you have requirements like first class honor or top 25% of class? What is the academic undergraduate achievement for Haas?

Linda Abraham (Jan 11, 2010 12:40:12 PM)
Thanks Peter.

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:42:10 PM)
Caglar, when considering academic performance, we look at the quality of the institution, the difficulty of a specific major or course of study, and trends in grades or marks, etc. Typically, successful candidates are in the top 25% of their class, but academic achievement is just one of the criteria we are considering.

Linda Abraham (Jan 11, 2010 12:42:15 PM)
Peter, with decisions come waitlists. What should applicants waitlisted at Haas do, and refrain from doing?

fabpovoa_brazil (Jan 11, 2010 12:44:15 PM)
Thanks, Cindy. If accepted, I will definitely reach out to them to prepare in advance (and network, as well). According to the Haas website, decisions for Round One will be posted/emailed by Jan 27th. Is this date a final deadline, or an applicant may expect to receive a final decision (after having been interviewed and sent original documents) anytime from now until the 27th?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:46:06 PM)
Linda, great question. Applicants who receive a waitlist offer should (1) interview, if they haven't previously; (2) provide additional information if it will add to our knowledge of their candidacy (it isn't helpful to simply re-state information that has already been presented); and they should try to be patient, even though we do realize it is difficult. They should not overreact by sending us daily updates or copies of offer letters from other programs.

Linda Abraham (Jan 11, 2010 12:46:47 PM)
You mean knowing they have been accepted elsewhere doesn't increase your interest?

CindyJenningsMilletteHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:47:07 PM)
Fabpovoa_brazil: Our goal is to have all decisions made and emailed to students on or before January 27th, but due to the volume there have been a few instances where an interview invitation was sent during that final week (week of the 25th) of the deadline and the applicant is not interviewed until after the 27th.

Hogan (Jan 11, 2010 12:47:21 PM)
Cindy: Haas devotes significant resources tailored to Real Estate. Is a background as a General Contractor appropriate for pursuing development within Haas' framework?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:47:22 PM)
Linda, no, it doesn't--admission to other programs is not something we care about in making our decisions. We do realize that being on the waitlist can be stressful, and we try to communicate as much as possible. Unfortunately, we have no way to know at this point in time how many people might be admitted from the waitlist.

Linda Abraham (Jan 11, 2010 12:47:34 PM)
Thanks for clarifying.

KCB (Jan 11, 2010 12:47:38 PM)
Thanks Peter - I've also been following the new announcement on Haas' strategic plan for 2010. Among the three areas of focus (Redefine the business graduate, Realize our intellectual future, and Transform our Haas campus), which do you view to be the most important?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:50:05 PM)
KCB, I don't think I would prioritize any of them over the others--they're all important. For our team, the one we will focus on the most is redefining the business graduate (through selecting students who are developing the qualities we seek, including confidence without attitude, willingness to question the status quo, and an interest in building lasting value in organizations).

CindyJenningsMilletteHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:50:44 PM)
Hogan: We have had a few students come from a construction background. When reviewing work experience, we are looking for progressive experience over time as well as leadership and team skills. We are also looking for breadth in that experience - such as finance,  and project management, etc.

fabpovoa_brazil (Jan 11, 2010 12:50:55 PM)
Peter, what are the odds for International students (in my case, Brazilian) for getting job offers and securing work visas within the US? Is this an issue that is related only to the recruiting company and the MBA graduate, or can Haas help in this process in some way?

CindyJenningsMilletteHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:52:03 PM)
Varunprabh: We have already sent some international interview invitations and will continue to do so through the week of Jan 25th.

Linda Abraham (Jan 11, 2010 12:53:28 PM)
Peter and Cindy: Haas’ R3 deadline is around the corner (Feb 2nd). Any advice for Haas applicants planning to apply for your R3 deadline?

CindyJenningsMilletteHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:55:16 PM)
Linda: My piece of advice is in regard to the essays. Instead of trying to say what you think the admissions committee wants to hear, be true to yourself. Answering the essay questions with what rings true for you and your application will be more authentic and stand out from the pack.

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:55:22 PM)
Fab, that's a difficult question to answer, as it depends on many factors, most of which are beyond the control of business schools. Although about half of our international students have remained in the US for their first job after B-school in the past few years, it depends on the willingness of companies to sponsor work visas, which is in turn related to the health of the economy, specific needs of the company, etc. There is little that B-schools can do to impact this. The one area in which we can help is by educating our hiring companies about how the work visa process functions and by promoting the quality of our international graduates, both of which we currently do. I'll add that any international student attending any US B-school should have a "Plan B', and should pursue diverse post-MBA opportunities, including those available should they return to their home country. Brazil in particular has provided some great professional opportunities for MBA graduates over the past year, and I've had companies specifically looking to us to help identify talent for post-MBA roles.

Linda Abraham (Jan 11, 2010 12:55:54 PM)
Cindy, what role does post-MBA “hire-ability” play in admissions? Does a member of career services have a voice in admissions decisions?

AB (Jan 11, 2010 12:58:10 PM)
Peter, could you comment on the avenues beyond application available to an applicant to demonstrate his/her interest in the Haas program?

CindyJenningsMilletteHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:59:19 PM)
Linda: Good question. There are occasions when we will consult with career services about an applicant - if we have some questions about that candidate's "hire-ability" post-MBA. Furthermore, we do meet with career services periodically to discuss student success stories in the job market.

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 12:59:20 PM)
Linda, post-MBA "hire-ability" is a key area that we consider in making admission decisions. As a professional school, our role is to prepare individuals for careers in organizations, not for academic roles. Clarity of career goals, feasibility of those goals, and a good understanding of how to leverage the MBA program to achieve professional goals are all elements we look for in successful applications.

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 1:00:19 PM)
AB, some good ways to demonstrate interest beyond the application include attending information sessions and coffee chats, and visiting campus (if possible).

Linda Abraham (Jan 11, 2010 1:00:20 PM)
Thank you very much for your responses. I think that sometimes applicants under-estimate the importance of post-MBA goals and hire-ability.

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 1:01:15 PM)
Linda, I agree. Since most applicants are seeking an MBA specifically to prepare them for expanded career opportunities, it's important for us to consider how we can help them achieve those goals and whether or not they are realistic.

fabpovoa_brazil (Jan 11, 2010 1:01:46 PM)
Peter, I take the MBA experience as based on three pillars: (1) academics, (2) personal experience (clubs, friends, bonds) and (3) business (networking, internship and job search). Which practical networking tips and best practices would you suggest to MBA students in order to better network and land internship opportunities in their target companies? How can we make the most out of Haas networking tools?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 1:02:48 PM)
Fab, I think your "pillars" comment is certainly valid, and we provide workshops for our students, online tools, and lots of advice about how to leverage networks for job opportunities, mentorship, and growth opportunities. One piece of advice I would offer is to start the networking process immediately. Once an applicant has been admitted, there are opportunities to attend alumni mixers and dinners, and to join a closed Google group to start getting to know future classmates, etc. Once our new students arrive on campus, we provide many opportunities (especially during orientation) to learn effective techniques for networking, including social media tools, our alumni database, and industry and career nights, etc.

fabpovoa_brazil (Jan 11, 2010 1:02:51 PM)
Peter, thanks a LOT for you feedback with Brazilian particularities. It is great to hear that Brazil has provided good post-MBA opportunities.

AB (Jan 11, 2010 1:02:57 PM)
Cindy, does a note of support from current student/alumni count in the admissions decision?

CindyJenningsMilletteHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 1:03:04 PM)
AB, Yes. We greatly value the opinion of our current students and alumni.

Linda Abraham (Jan 11, 2010 1:04:59 PM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to Peter and Cindy for joining us today.

We look forward to seeing you at future chats, and here is a list of the upcoming scheduled chats:

If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list. Please check the website  for additional details.

Good luck with your applications!

CindyJenningsMilletteHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 1:05:16 PM)
Thanks everyone!

FabioP (Jan 11, 2010 1:05:31 PM)
Peter and Cindy, thanks a lot for your time and invaluable information.

AB (Jan 11, 2010 1:05:38 PM)
Peter & Cindy, Thank you for your time.

KCB (Jan 11, 2010 1:06:49 PM)
Thank you for your time, Peter and Cindy!

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 1:06:53 PM)
Fab, you're welcome--in my opinion, Brazilian companies present some fantastic opportunities for students, both Brazilian and from other countries. Thanks for your questions!

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Jan 11, 2010 1:07:15 PM)
Best wishes to everyone with the application process, and thanks for joining us today!

If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list. Please check the website for additional details.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room